Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Deadpool posted:

There is no conjecture needed here. As stated above we know Slade doesn't die there because Sara has already asked about him in the present day.

I'm not suggesting that this is what happened, but it's entirely possible that Sara left before Ollie with a large enough window to miss Ollie killing Slade.

That said, Slade is totally still alive. He needs to be in order for Deathstroke to be a threat in the Starling side, which I desperately want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey guys, seriously don't spoil this stuff for people who don't know what's coming based on tonight's clues. I'm specifically talking about the stuff in Barry's back story. That's the exact kind of thing that shouldn't be spoiled. You can talk about it in spoiler tags but label it as such.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The best part of tonight's episode? No Laurel :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She should have showed for the party.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Loved Barry, looking forward to how he does the flash.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Seriously, the show is missing nothing by having her gone. Sarah is a better Canary. Felicity (or even Isobel) is a better love interest. Thea had a better rock-bottom-ruin-her-life story arc. Unless Laurel somehow gets super interesting, she's pretty much pointless. I know they've explicitly stated that Laurel is Black Canary but they've shown they are willing to drastically alter plans for the sake of the show (Felicity becoming part of the team and much more Slade).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

She should have showed for the party.

Thank god she didn't, it would be a repeat of literally every other party scene with her. She acts like a huge baby and makes some drama with Ollie, or he does with her. And it would be awful to watch. Like it always is.

This episode was so fuckin good

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

Seriously, the show is missing nothing by having her gone. Sarah is a better Canary. Felicity (or even Isobel) is a better love interest. Thea had a better rock-bottom-ruin-her-life story arc. Unless Laurel somehow gets super interesting, she's pretty much pointless. I know they've explicitly stated that Laurel is Black Canary but they've shown they are willing to drastically alter plans for the sake of the show (Felicity becoming part of the team and much more Slade).

Thea spent like 2 hours at a law office. Not exactly bottoming out.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Yea that was amazing. Grant Gustin, kid has some chops! I'm already pumped for this Flash show.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Spoilers for next week!

Barry Allen?

Meet...

ALL of the chemicals. :unsmigghh:

:flashfact:

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Neon Knight posted:

Ollie fucken shot Roy in the leg because he almost had a clue that wouldn't turn into a real lead because Roy doesn't have the resources Ollie does. This miracle poo poo really pisses him off.

I thought it was probably because he didn't want his sister anywhere near this serum business.

Also did Ollie think that the villain of this episode was Slade, or was that my projecting?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Roy's gonna be so pissed when he finds out that the new kid Barry Allen joins Team Arrow before he could.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
That scene where Ollie shot Roy reminded me of Nikita shooting Alex in the leg.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Anyone have a link to the preview of next week's episode?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

omg chael crash posted:

Anyone have a link to the preview of next week's episode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcUK80mtCVQ

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Roy is gonna be so pissed.

Also, Thea in that dress :holymoley:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As per the rules, I've no real knowledge of Barry Allen - I grew up in the 90s where it was all about Wally West.

Is Allen's origin always been a key part of his character, or is this from the New 52?

As for the actual episode, dayum. Grant Gustin is a great casting coup. The CW does a great job of finding very pretty people who can still act.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Does anyone read the show tie-in comic? Is it any good?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neon Knight posted:

Ollie fucken shot Roy in the leg because he almost had a clue that wouldn't turn into a real lead because Roy doesn't have the resources Ollie does. This miracle poo poo really pisses him off.

Roy's gonna be really upset at Ollie one day if he learns his secret identity at some point.

King of Solomon posted:

I'm not suggesting that this is what happened, but it's entirely possible that Sara left before Ollie with a large enough window to miss Ollie killing Slade.

That said, Slade is totally still alive. He needs to be in order for Deathstroke to be a threat in the Starling side, which I desperately want.

Also, considering we've already seen his mask with an arrow through one of its eyes on present-day island, there's no way it's not going to build up to some kind of Slade vs. Ollie boss battle before the island plot is finished.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 5, 2013

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I liked how Roy's blood made the arrow look red. More easter eggs~

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is Allen's origin always been a key part of his character, or is this from the New 52?
That would be a nope. The original silver age Barry Allen had no such origin. When Geoff Johns brought back Barry, he retconned this dead mother motivation in through in-story time travel shenanigans, and this series of events actually led directly to the New 52. It's a very recent thing, and kind of confounding.

None of which anyone should concern themselves with because, even in spite of that similarity, by all counts this show's version of Barry is very very different from the recent comics' Barry Allen in all the best ways.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Narcissus1916 posted:

As per the rules, I've no real knowledge of Barry Allen - I grew up in the 90s where it was all about Wally West.

As for the actual episode, dayum. Grant Gustin is a great casting coup. The CW does a great job of finding very pretty people who can still act.

The stuff about Bary is taken from Flash Rebirth I believe. Where Eobard Thawne (Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash) goes back in time and kills Barry's mother (among other things) and frames his father for it. So while in the books it's not really his origin it is something that occured.

BrianWilly posted:

None of which anyone should concern themselves with because, even in spite of that similarity, by all counts this show's version of Barry is very very different from the recent comics' Barry Allen in all the best ways.

Very much this. This is just another case of teasing the fans that know about the comic stuff.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
"These chemicals are the definition of 'dangerous!'"
*Lightning strikes off screen*

I actually squealed at my television like a little girl. I haven't been this super stoked about a show in probably a decade. It's just... :swoon:

Having Felicity in that dress half the episode was brilliant, too. Not just because it's Felicity, but because there's no way that wasn't an intentional choice by their costume designer. Red dress with a blank section on the chest while talking to Barry Allen? Just completely coincidental normal part of the show yessiree

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ughrhguugh... that ending. :gizz: This loving show. Is. So. Good.

[edit] Speculation: I wonder if Oliver has a stash of that miracle stuff and is going to get injected with it next episode seeing as how he's currently sedated.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 5, 2013

Eddain
May 6, 2007
This is only tangentially related to Arrow but anyway, I'm lazy as gently caress and don't bother changing the channel after Arrow finishes so I end up watching The Tomorrow People. Holy poo poo is this a loving terrible show. It's so inconsistent with everything from writing, plot, characters, etc. Amell used to hype up the show on his Facebook when it first premiered but now he's been pretty quiet about it. The show has gotten so bad that I'd rather rewatch the entirety of Arrow's Huntress arc over this show.

Amell needs to tell his cousin (the main star) to bail out and do a guest spot on Arrow or something.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Concerning Barry, it's the typical problem all DC comics currently suffer from. Can't have a hero without personal tragedy in their backstory, even if they worked for decades without one.

So, does Ollie now get superpowers or am I confusing the stuff he got injected with with something else? And I get the feeling that Moira just traded one devil for the other.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

e X posted:

Concerning Barry, it's the typical problem all DC comics currently suffer from. Can't have a hero without personal tragedy in their backstory, even if they worked for decades without one.

So, does Ollie now get superpowers or am I confusing the stuff he got injected with with something else? And I get the feeling that Moira just traded one devil for the other.

The sedatives led him to where the super-powered-guy showed up. I think it's implied he just got heavily sedated.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Deadpool posted:

Hey guys, seriously don't spoil this stuff for people who don't know what's coming based on tonight's clues. I'm specifically talking about the stuff in Barry's back story. That's the exact kind of thing that shouldn't be spoiled. You can talk about it in spoiler tags but label it as such.

Sorry, I forget sometimes that people aren't all familiar with the comics who watch this show.

e X posted:

And I get the feeling that Moira just traded one devil for the other.

I thought for some reason she was bluffing and had somehow found out about Ra's Al Ghul but hadn't actually been in contact with him. Especially since the part about Ra's not being on board with the Undertaking seemed odd, the Undertaking sounds like exactly the type of thing the League of Assassins would do and be a-ok with. It's not too far off from what they did to Gotham in Batman Begins (e.g try to destroy the whole city.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was the best thing i've seen in weeks, best Arrow episode by a mile.

Slades going to wake up and slice up Ivo's men like a Teppanyaki chef. As a DC fan i'm loving GIDDY.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

That was loving amazing. This show is incredible. This was the best episode yet. I'm so happy that wasn't the mid season break cliff hanger and we actually get another episode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eddain posted:

This is only tangentially related to Arrow but anyway, I'm lazy as gently caress and don't bother changing the channel after Arrow finishes so I end up watching The Tomorrow People. Holy poo poo is this a loving terrible show. It's so inconsistent with everything from writing, plot, characters, etc. Amell used to hype up the show on his Facebook when it first premiered but now he's been pretty quiet about it. The show has gotten so bad that I'd rather rewatch the entirety of Arrow's Huntress arc over this show.

Amell needs to tell his cousin (the main star) to bail out and do a guest spot on Arrow or something.

Tomorrow People suffers from constantly changing tones. They're slowly approaching a more serious Arrow-theme but stumbling over high school romance hijinks and love triangles on the way.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

...I didn't even realize she wasn't in the episode until I saw this post.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

bbf2 posted:

I thought for some reason she was bluffing and had somehow found out about Ra's Al Ghul but hadn't actually been in contact with him. Especially since the part about Ra's not being on board with the Undertaking seemed odd, the Undertaking sounds like exactly the type of thing the League of Assassins would do and be a-ok with. It's not too far off from what they did to Gotham in Batman Begins (e.g try to destroy the whole city.

Yes but Merlyn failed and lived. And then apparently hid himself from Ra's. All things that Ra's hates.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

bbf2 posted:

I think it's less about the Undertaking itself -- which he was probably on board with -- and more that Merlyn's alive and tooling around on the sly for personal matters. It's like them sending assassins after Sara to bring her back and/or kill her.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

bbf2 posted:

Either way even if it was a bluff on Moira's part, she got it right because otherwise Malcolm would have the biggest Barrowman smile on his face if he was actually all buddy-buddy with R'as and he actually just snuck away after the Undertaking for a few brewskies with him or something rather than hiding because he knows for a fact the Undertaking was probably less than kosher for a League of Assassins kind of scheme.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That episode was so loving good god drat :stare:

And as someone who is 27 years old but could pass for a teenager after I shave, those jokes weren't funny Ollie :colbert:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
When thinking about it, Oliver just saddled Roy with a $20k+ hospital bill to get the arrow injury taken care of. What a dick.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

pentyne posted:

When thinking about it, Oliver just saddled Roy with a $20k+ hospital bill to get the arrow injury taken care of. What a dick.

He's in Vancouver, he's fine.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
GOD. drat.

That was an amazing piece of television. I did think they went overboard with "particle accelerator" and "I'm constantly late!" but Barry was great, the action was awesome, Moira namedropping Ra's made me giddy and Ollie shooting Roy was perfect and hilarious.

I want to know everything that happened before the show. The island arc is incredibly engrossing to me.

So glad we have an episode next week.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So, is the particle accelerator going to be where Barry gets his powers?

I'm also hoping that Sebastian Blood is our midseason villain and goes out next week - that mask of his is hilariously goofy and way too much of a Scarecrow knockoff.

At this point they have so many plates spinning that any one of them could take hold and smash the narrative into something new and exciting - this is the first midseason finale where I honestly have no earthly idea what they're going to do.

Also also, I liked that Oliver was kinda a dick to Barry. Across all media, Ollie's always been a bit of an rear end in a top hat. Glad to see that's popping up here and there.

Rickards was especially good tonight, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That and/or lighting. There were an awful lot of thunderstorms in this episode.

As for Roy, I have the feeling that they are going to set him up as separated vigilant. So far, he really didn't interact with Ollie all that much and their relationship seems to be mostly one sided (he is clearly inspired by the Vigilant, but Ollie sees him basically just as an informant). That Roy Harper eventually split from Green Arrow and became and individual hero is pretty consistent in almost every incarnation of the character. The way Roy is portrait here, I could see him becoming a vigilant of his own, disappointment in Ollie relative lack of interest in the things Roy considers important. He is much more idealistic, while Ollie is all in all pretty pragmatic as long as his family or friends aren't in danger.

• Locked thread