Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Wroughtirony posted:

You can't really skim if you're using a raft- the raft is there to catch all the stuff that would cause an off flavor. Just keep it at a LOW simmer so as not to break up the raft.

Oh, I was under the impression that you raft at the end, or near the end of cooking whereas skimming should be done throughout. Are you saying that you leave a raft on throughout the process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yeah I'm definitely making this

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Scott Bakula posted:

Yeah I'm definitely making this
Rendang owns and I'm pretty sure I've used that exact recipe before too.

Edit: VV - I have a wooden cutting board that's permanently stained yellow too.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 4, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I see it calls for fresh turmeric I guess i'll have yellow fingers for days again

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Scott Bakula posted:

I see it calls for fresh turmeric I guess i'll have yellow fingers for days again

The shame!

http://www.amazon.com/Safetouch-Pow...fe+latex+gloves

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 4, 2013

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, medium is much better if you were using a nonstick pan. you're probably okay then.

Great. That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to get a few more opinions. Thanks to you and TychoCelchuuu!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I saw your post pre-edit! I don't really care I was just surprised how long it took for the yellow to vanish

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Oh, I was under the impression that you raft at the end, or near the end of cooking whereas skimming should be done throughout. Are you saying that you leave a raft on throughout the process?

http://ruhlman.com/2008/09/because-ive-mad/

Ruhlman explains it better than I can.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is probably too open-ended, but I got some drinking stones from a holiday gift exchange at work and I've decided I need to drink a little more hard liquor, at least at home. What kind(s) of alcohol would you all say have the most to benefit from being chilled in such a way?

Also, when you freeze them do you do so in any particular way? Mine came with a little cloth bag so I was under the assumption I could just leave them in the bag and throw the whole thing in the freezer.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There is a booze thread, but I'll save you the time: those stones are practically worthless.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
http://theworstthingsforsale.com/2013/05/27/whiskey-stones/

Drew from toothpastefordinner.com (he writes articles for the front page sometimes) explains why they suck so much in this blog entry.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
^^ I'd take that question to the cocktail or whiskey thread but general consensus is not to bother with those "whiskey stones" efb!

Question about chicken wings. I want to make a whole lot of 5 spice chicken wings for a party. I don't want to do a sticky sauce. I normally toss chicken pieces with 5 spice/a little soy/sliced garlic/salt and let sit in the fridge over night, then bake until everything gets nice and crispy and cooked through. But I have never done this with just wings, and I really like the "steam to render fat" method I have used before for buffalo wings because it gets nice and crispy.

My question is about the best method to get a good flavor on these wings without the flabby kind of fatty skin baked wings can have. Do I steam first then season and fridge then bake right before the party? I will be putting them in a big chafing dish to keep warm, and can probably bake off another batch in the middle of the party as needed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Aw :( I never thought about it in terms of thermodynamics before but that's still a bummer to realize. I guess I have cool-looking rocks now?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You have trash now throw them in the trash

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd say re-gift them to someone who you don't care that much about.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody know how long hot pepper paste lats in the fridge after it's been opened? I bought some turkish pepper paste (Biber salçası), but it was a huge jar and I'm not sure how long it would last. It's got 2% salt if that helps. I'm going to make some Kısır with it, but what else can I make? I was going to use it as a condiment as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bowmore posted:

I'd say re-gift them to someone who you don't care that much about.

Already opened them before posting :doh: My brother turns 21 in a few weeks maybe I will just give them to him.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Can someone explain to me how to have a mixed vegan/omnivore household where I'm the only cook and also we're both kinda poor? I'm type 1 diabetic and allergic to tree nuts, my boyfriend hates tofu and curries of every variety (sorry dino! I tried!) and I can't just make him go meatless because it's not fair, but he refuses to make me cook meat. It is starting to seem impossible, and I'm tired of him feeling like he has to go out to eat terrible food while I enjoy my delicious home cooked food. Surely there's some compromise meals that I can make that aren't some version of beans with rice and veggies or massive salads.

To add to the madness, I have some serious medical conditions that limit my ability to eat fatty foods and he's trying to lose weight. Food has become our nightmare and I'm tired of this. ANY ideas?

Alsoalso, any sugar-free Christmas desert recipes that don't absolutely suck all the life out of you when you eat them?

:smith: Take care of your health, folks. I've been in and out of the hospital for a year, and this is how I have to eat for the rest of my life. Love yourself and your food while you can!

To clarify: My boyfriend is a loss in the kitchen and also works 12hr days, so he just can't cook his own foods without massive sacrifice. I CAN cook meat, but I really have a hard time with it mentally, and I'm honestly sorta really bad at it since I can't taste it anyway. UGH. We're a pain in the rear end.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 5, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Eeyo posted:

Anybody know how long hot pepper paste lats in the fridge after it's been opened? I bought some turkish pepper paste (Biber salçası), but it was a huge jar and I'm not sure how long it would last. It's got 2% salt if that helps. I'm going to make some Kısır with it, but what else can I make? I was going to use it as a condiment as well.

If it's anything like most (chili) pepper pastes, it's probably got a good long shelf life once in the fridge. Most pepper sauces that I"m familiar with contain salt and vinegar (or some other acid) which most microbes are not a fan of. Googling shows me something that looks and sounds a bit like sirracha, so it will probably last.

As for uses, you might mix it with a little honey or sugar and make a glaze for pork with it. You can mix some with mayo to make a sandwich spread. Put it on pizza or mix some in with the sauce. Make hot wings with it. Toss a little bit into a chocolate cake recipe or into frosting.

EDIT:

fizzymercy posted:

Can someone explain to me how to have a mixed vegan/omnivore household where I'm the only cook and also we're both kinda poor? I'm type 1 diabetic and allergic to tree nuts, my boyfriend hates tofu and curries of every variety (sorry dino! I tried!) and I can't just make him go meatless because it's not fair, but he refuses to make me cook meat. It is starting to seem impossible, and I'm tired of him feeling like he has to go out to eat terrible food while I enjoy my delicious home cooked food. Surely there's some compromise meals that I can make that aren't some version of beans with rice and veggies or massive salads.

To add to the madness, I have some serious medical conditions that limit my ability to eat fatty foods and he's trying to lose weight. Food has become our nightmare and I'm tired of this. ANY ideas?

You're a good person for being so accommodating to your boyfriend's wants. He doesn't want to eat vegan (which is OK) but does he eat any vegetables or is he like a little kid?

If he eats veggies, great. Make up vegetable dishes you both will eat in big quantities. If he wants meat, buy some boneless skinless chicken breast and some ground beef, maybe some boneless pork chops and a George Foreman Grill. It's a compromise, and not great quality, but it sounds like it's at about his skill level. He can plug in the grill, let it heat up, throw on the meat (maybe even salt and pepper before hand) and 5 minutes later have his meat fix. Now he's cooking the meat, so you don't have to be uncomfortable, and he gets what he wants with minimum input on his end. And it's 5 unattended minutes. He doesn't have to dirty a pan or even flip anything. I don't care how busy you are, if you can't manage 5 minutes of doing nothing, I just have no advice for you.

If on the other hand he refuses to eat veggies, drop him. You can't fix it, and he'll either go the rest of his life eating McNuggets or he'll grow up, but that will be on his own.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 5, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

fizzymercy posted:

Alsoalso, any sugar-free Christmas desert recipes that don't absolutely suck all the life out of you when you eat them?

:smith: Take care of your health, folks. I've been in and out of the hospital for a year, and this is how I have to eat for the rest of my life. Love yourself and your food while you can!

To clarify: My boyfriend is a loss in the kitchen and also works 12hr days, so he just can't cook his own foods without massive sacrifice. I CAN cook meat, but I really have a hard time with it mentally, and I'm honestly sorta really bad at it since I can't taste it anyway. UGH. We're a pain in the rear end.

Get him to help you cook a big batch of stew or some sort of chili or just something hearty and filling on the weekend. The meat in these recipes cooks low and slow and hidden under some sort of liquid so you won't get weirded out by it cooking, he'll have something homemade and delicious with meat to heat up when he gets home from work after his 12 hour days, you can happily eat your rabbit food next to him.

As far as how this would help his losing weight, well, it doesn't...but we can't have it all, now can we?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

Can someone explain to me how to have a mixed vegan/omnivore household where I'm the only cook and also we're both kinda poor?

My girlfiend's blog used to be about cheap vegan food, but she recently refocused it around an "all can eat" philosophy (I eat meat, she doesn't).

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/p/tips-and-sample-weekly-menu-333-day.html

Problem is, she likes things insanely spicy... but I'm sure you'll find some good gluten-free desserts and such.

fizzymercy posted:

my boyfriend hates tofu and curries of every variety

This is possibly the whitest thing I have ever read. I also doubt that he has tried "every variety". :colbert:

fizzymercy posted:

Suck it up buttercup, and learn to touch meat. If you are the only one cooking, you've got two options: cook him meat, or else force him to be a defacto vegan along with you. Pick one.

I cook most of my own meat, but the GF does sometimes prepare meat for me. For practical advice, you can buy frozen, pre-cooked chicken breasts and such, so you don't have to be exposed to meat juice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

fizzymercy posted:

Red beans and rice is a good dish that is delicious and filling and is easily prepared completely vegan and uses nothing but fresh ingredients.

You can grill up some sausages and put them in it / on it for your boyfriend. Limits your meat exposure / handling.

Bonus points its insanely cheap to prepare.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

fizzymercy posted:

You're not "making" him go meatless. If he is a big old baby and doesn't want to eat vegan foods or anything green, gently caress him, he's doing it to himself. That said, it just sounds like you're bored with what you're cooking all the time. I don't know about diabetic help here, so these might not all work for you, but here are a few ideas that might be a good place to start.

- Soup and fresh bread (go into the Rise to Me thread and do it, seriously, it makes my soup-hating partner excited for soup). Frozen broccoli, veg stock or even just water, splash of wine, salt, pepper, whatever other spices you want (I like coriander or tarragon or whatever) and then blitz with a stick blender. That's super-healthy even with a splash of coconut milk in to amp up the creaminess, particularly if you make whole wheat bread. Or vegetable soup with cabbage and sage and carrots and kidney beans, or white bean soup, or butternut squash soup.

- Black bean burgers with shredded carrot and chipotle or whatever you want, really.

- Chick pea or bean or whatever "meat" loaf baked in an acorn or butternut squash. (You may have to par-roast the squash first, though.)

- Roast potatoes (or any root vegetable) and sear off a "steak" of cauliflower, (Like this), or creamed spinach along with roast vegetables. (This one is great for picky eaters though it does suffer from the classic "this is just two side dishes where is my main" problem that so much vegan food tends to have.)

- chopped-up veggies in couscous--seriously fast and tasty and can be gussied up in any number of ways.

- If it's true that you are just straight-up bored with what you normally cook, you should also look into condiments and spices and flavor combinations that you're not used to. Get some chutney or preserved lemon / lime to throw into or onto stuff. Find an asian market and pick up some vinegars and toasted sesame oil if it won't murder you and all the various flavoring pastes like gochujang and miso (and cheap cheap cheap ginger and garlic and lemongrass and whatnot). Splurge a little and maybe get a fancy oil, like truffle oil. That alone is enough to totally change a boring salad.

Also--are there ANY nuts you can eat? My friend who is deathly allergic to tree nuts can, surprisingly, do hazelnuts, coconuts, almonds, and cashews, but if you have peanut breath around her she gets short of breath. And boy howdy is cashew awesome.

Alsoalso what curries have you tried him on?

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 5, 2013

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Whooboy that was more successful than I expected...cause duh of course it would be. I am seriously taking notes, buying a George Foreman, and stealing half to 3/4 of Squashy Nipples' girlfriend's recipes cause insanely spicy is a-ok with me. (Also: Raw Kale Salad with 5 Spice Tofu and Coconut Bacon. Holy poo poo, look at the lunch I'm making!)

To address a few things: I'm specifically allergic to almonds and cashews, but all nuts make my mouth itch and peel, with the exception of coconuts and peanuts, so I just avoid all of them out of habit. Dumb habit, maybe, but I'm epi-pen-level allergic to almonds so I'm just gonna be a big ol' baby bout that one.

My boyfriend IS a baby that doesn't like about half the veggies in the world. I can't blame him too much, his mother is the worst cook I have literally ever encountered and ruined him on quite a few things growing up. To go with it, he has OCD that manifests in some food ways. That's not relevant here except with the curry (I should have been more clear here): he won't eat curry or anything that tastes or smells of Indian or Thai curry because he was once at deaths door thanks to some really questionable goat curry he had once, and just the smell of an Indian restaurant makes him panic. I'll hear no bullshit about this making him a baby...I've seen it personally. It's real and painful for him. I haven't bothered even bringing fenugreek leaves in the house it's so bad.

As to the rest, YES I'm bored, and YES THANK YOU to all of you for the ideas. I do need to make him more accountable for his own food I guess. I really don't MIND cooking the meat myself, HE minds listening to me gag cause my baby-rear end got some juice on my apron.

TLDR: Ugh dating a food baby is hard when you're a big baby yourself, but thank you for the wonderful ideas!

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 5, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
If you can do coconuts, that means you can do a savory coconut sticky rice! If you & your candy-rear end veggie-hating manfriend aren't cilantro haters, I can write up my recipes. That stuff is awesome and so are the leftovers. Plus, if he ~has to have his meat~ :rolleyes: then he can always grill up some shrimp and throw them on top.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Um, cilantro is the best herb there is and I have heard tales of savory coconut sticky rice, but never trusted the sources talking about it (vegans that think Boca burgers are food :rolleyes:). Yes please and a lot of thank yous!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

fizzymercy posted:

To address a few things: I'm specifically allergic to almonds and cashews, but all nuts make my mouth itch and peel, with the exception of coconuts and peanuts

Fun fact: peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes :eng101:

edit: corrected below

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 5, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And coconuts are not nuts, but tree testicles.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Steve Yun posted:

Fun fact: peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes :eng101:

But then again so are cashews, which you are also allergic to :eng99:

Cashews are decidedly not legumes. They're in the family Anacardiaceae rather than Fabaceae, and grow on trees.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Looking at this again, do I really use a whole nutmeg? That seems an awful lot

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Go go gooooyou crazy bastard gooooooooooooooooooooooo

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've been looking for lao gan ma forever. My s.o. finally found some the other day and grabbed whichever ones caught his eye. I can't find the recipes I'd saved, so what can I make with these here things?

:allears:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I'm vegan and my fiancé eats meat but luckily he loves veggies and tofu and will eat anything I make. His kids, however, are super picky and total pains to cook for. I do not cook meat but I am ok with throwing frozen meat in the oven. I buy frozen breaded chicken cutlets, fish sticks, junk like that. I'll then make a big salad for me, frozen meat something for them with lots of condiments, and sides we all like and will eat. I also do a lot of home made bread which they love and will fill up on with hummus if I'm making a vegetable-heavy meal they won't be huge fans of. And of course I make a lot of veggie meals like pasta, burritos, baked potato, etc.

They are slowly branching out to try new things but I totally get sick of making the same 4 meals for them over and over so I feel your pain!

It's great that you want to accommodate your boyfriend but I think if you're doing all the cooking (and already avoiding all Indian and Thai food for his sake) you shouldn't be expected to cook meat too when you're not going to eat it. If you let us know what veggies he likes maybe we can suggest more specific things for you.

Edit to add that pizza is always a big hit. I'm ok with sprinkling cheese on one side and vegan stuff on mine and no one misses meat. Also veggie sushi is very satisfying!

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Seconding veggie sushi for meals with omnivores. I may be biased because there are like two sushi restaurants a block here but it's fun to make and I bet the kids would enjoy helping you, too.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Vegetarian Chili, its delicious, easy and if you make it right you won't need meat at all in it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Vegetarian Chili, its delicious, easy and if you make it right you won't need meat at all in it.

Mind sharing a recipe? I've only made meat chili's and I'm lookin for more veggie recipes to mix in with box lunches.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Sweet potato chili is all like :monocle:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Somehow there isn't a soup thread. Anyone have a good, rustic tomato soup recipe? I had some the other day and it was fantastic. Perhaps they were roasted or red peppers were mixed in? Do you use celery/carrot/onion? What herbs go in there?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Somehow there isn't a soup thread. Anyone have a good, rustic tomato soup recipe? I had some the other day and it was fantastic. Perhaps they were roasted or red peppers were mixed in? Do you use celery/carrot/onion? What herbs go in there?

I just sautee down a mirepoix and add a couple cans of stewed tomatoes and a glass of wine. Add either vegetable or chicken stock if you need more liquid, use thyme, bay, oregano, salt and pepper and cook that all down together for an hour or so at a low boil. Then I add a baked sweet potato to thicken. The sweetness from it balances out the acidity well and I like having a thick soup. Take the immersion blender to that until is uniformly smooth.

Sometimes I'll finish it with a little raw garlic or some cream, but that depends on how it tastes at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

M42 posted:

I've been looking for lao gan ma forever. My s.o. finally found some the other day and grabbed whichever ones caught his eye. I can't find the recipes I'd saved, so what can I make with these here things?

:allears:

Mapo, mapo, mapo! We also just pour it on rice or use as a dumpling/offal sauce. It's also my secret char siu ingredient, but don't go too crazy or you will just end up with chilli bun not char siu. Another fave is as a ramen topping, but be careful not to use too much or your guts won't thank you and it does t always taste so strong.