Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Dark One posted:

John Oliver's podcast, The Bugle, bleeps words, but has a much higher tolerance than the Daily Show. When his material covers the same ground as a much future Daily Show bit, hearing him say the entirety of the word "poo poo" makes the jokes 10% funnier.

We all know whose fault that it. gently caress YOU CHRIS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sash! posted:

TBS ran uncut Sex and the City the whole way through exactly one time.

But this isn't true. They edited it down before it ever aired on TBS. Same goes for the versions of Band of Brothers that aired on History and the Sopranos that ran on AMC.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DrNutt posted:

But this isn't true. They edited it down before it ever aired on TBS. Same goes for the versions of Band of Brothers that aired on History and the Sopranos that ran on AMC.

I remember it a very, very long time ago being on TBS and showing a lot of stuff that I never saw again and it didn't fit into timeslots right.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Clearly, any new Star Trek series needs to be shown on HBO or Showtime. This way, we can actually see Kirk having sex with all of those aliens, and McCoy cursing to make a sailor blush.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Gau posted:

Clearly, any new Star Trek series needs to be shown on HBO or Showtime. This way, we can actually see Kirk having sex with all of those aliens, and McCoy Scotty cursing to make a sailor blush.

McCoy just doesn't strike me as much of a swearer.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sash! posted:

I remember it a very, very long time ago being on TBS and showing a lot of stuff that I never saw again and it didn't fit into timeslots right.

Well, I trust a summary of TBS broadcasts of Sex and the City as I found with a few minutes on the Internet vs your memory. No offense, it being a long time ago and all.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Oh my loving God, Farscape is a thing and it's loving ridiculous and amazing. Like, I can't even come up with the words to describe how much I love this show with muppet aliens and everyone wears some sort of fetish gear and what the gently caress the ship just had a baby and it's somehow a bad guy.

This show is like if some Australian dude had heard of Star Trek and wanted to make something like it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gau posted:

Oh my loving God, Farscape is a thing and it's loving ridiculous and amazing. Like, I can't even come up with the words to describe how much I love this show with muppet aliens and everyone wears some sort of fetish gear and what the gently caress the ship just had a baby and it's somehow a bad guy.

This show is like if some Australian dude had heard of Star Trek and wanted to make something like it.

And had all the good drugs.

(Lexx is when they had all the bad drugs. And mixed the ones they really shouldn't have. But it does serve the purpose of making Farscape look normal.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 5, 2013

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Farscape is very unique because there's an Australian TV industry but no Australian sci-fi as opposed to the traditions and conventions from the US and Britain going back decades. So you had Australian and New Zealander production people, directors, guest stars, etc who had never done sci-fi and really had their own unique take on everything working with the skills of the Jim Henson Company versus a generic Vancouver show with Jim Henson's Creature Shop backing them up. The directing, cinematography, production design, everything is totally different from anything that had come before it.

Lexx is Farscape if Farscape had no taste, inhibitions, or budget.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 5, 2013

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Even the storytelling is different. There's an incredible amount of stuff going on in each episode; most have an A, B, and C plot which interweaves with the overarcing season story. Watching this next to an episode of TNG or even DS9 makes them look positively plodding by comparison.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I also love the way the weirdest minor what-seem-to-be-single-episode-subplots become major season-spanning arcs in Farscape.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

No way in a post-9/11 world would you ever see an episode of Star Trek really critically tackle the idea that the United States is in fact responsible for a lot of suffering in the world and that a lot of violence directed towards us is simply blowback for our meddling.

I agree that this is true and it's a big reason why I don't want to see another Trek TV show, there's just no point if odds are they're going to wuss out and avoid issues like this.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I finally saw that dinosaur-people Voyager episode. It is typical Voyager-bad in that, despite having a show that's so far away from Earth, they would take 70 years to get home, they keep running into Earth creatures. Like, they really can't stop doing it, over and over again, they keep running into alien races who secretly originate from Earth, have visited Earth, traveled through a wormhole/time portal from Earth, are Q, etc.

Everyone from the Gamma Quadrant must be like "Oh, we know about you. We all go on vacation in Hawaii in the winter. Congratulations on finally finding us, I guess."

I know it's been a Trek staple from TOS years, but the way dudes come through the wormhole in DS9, everyone oohs and ahhs and says we've never seen this poo poo before and it's a new species and holy crap. Then the new species acts equally holy poo poo and they walk up to each other and start speaking English easily. So, what's up, bro? Not much man, just flying around and poo poo and flew into this wormhole and here you fuckers are. No kidding, yeah we're just chilling in this space station, it's kinda boring at this stage because it's just Season One but check out Dax, tidy huh? Yeah, bro, that's some top-shelf action right there.

Gau posted:

what the gently caress the ship just had a baby and it's somehow a bad guy.

What the hell. Cheers for something new to check out.

Also, despite weeks of training for the ski season and clean living - a guy came around last night and I drank a whole bottle of red and half a bottle of single malt scotch. Then the dude rolled spliffs and I smoked two. I'm loving ruined this morning.. I'm pushing to Duet. Four eps of DS9 S1 on the trot, here we loving go. It better not make me hurl.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 5, 2013

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

My favorite part about Farscape was watching the main character go crazy. Not "haha I miss home crazy", but full-on "I've got a chip in my brain and everyone's trying to kill me" crazy. And everyone just going along with it. There's something about a show going completely off it's rocker that does it for me.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Tony Montana, please report back. We need to know if you survived If Wishes Were Horses.

God, that episode is worse than Melora and Move Along Home combined.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just finished Progress, that was actually pretty good and made me like Kira more. The next episode is.. oh god

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Just have fun with it. Think of it like a goofy old TOS episode. Plus Sisko gets a baseball.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Even if everything else about Wishes is pretty terrible, I still rather enjoyed hearing about the dire future history of baseball. Though as a Canadian with fond memories of the 80s and 90s it does make me wonder what happened to hockey and pro wrestling.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Delsaber posted:

Even if everything else about Wishes is pretty terrible, I still rather enjoyed hearing about the dire future history of baseball. Though as a Canadian with fond memories of the 80s and 90s it does make me wonder what happened to hockey and pro wrestling.

I have no doubt that Pro Wrestling made a comeback in a slightly more interactive manner once the Holodeck came around.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 5, 2013

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well.. this starts with Dax dumping Bashir on his rear end in no uncertain terms after he proclaims his need for her.. and now we have O'Brien reading his daughter a bedtime story, she has to be one of the cutest little girls I've ever seen.

How bad could this be.. famous last words..

edit: oh hang on, what the gently caress is going on here

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 5, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I didn't really pay attention to baseball in the mid-90's but I think it's pretty laughable that Buck Bokai was the epitome of baseball near the end of the sport, especially since Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were breaking records due to steroids and lifting weights.

Just lookit' this nerd

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Well.. this starts with Dax dumping Bashir on his rear end in no uncertain terms after he proclaims his need for her.. and now we have O'Brien reading his daughter a bedtime story, she has to be one of the cutest little girls I've ever seen.

How bad could this be.. famous last words..

edit: oh hang on, what the gently caress is going on here

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. I'm jealous of you. I wish I could forget all of DS9 and watch it for the first time again.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

MikeJF posted:

I have no doubt that Pro Wrestling made a comeback in a slightly more interactive manner once the Holodeck came around.

If you smell what Pendari Champ is cookin'

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well. Goofy TOS episode was a good way to think of it. Dax fighting with Dax about Dax made me laugh out loud. Drippy mindless Dax was also quite funny. However, that was some pretty drat dumb poo poo to the extent I'm going to have to watch something else now for a bit.

Sheilds down, O'Brien.. and you have to believe

The ending was actually nicely scifiy as an explanation but insufficient for 45 minutes of silly poo poo. Odo chasing emus was also rad.

kelvron posted:

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. I'm jealous of you. I wish I could forget all of DS9 and watch it for the first time again.

This is what happened with TNG too, people were saying exactly that to me. It's fun for both of us, I come in here and have people to talk Trek to (which, particularly when moving around, I don't have IRL) and you get to enjoy me enjoying it :)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm doing a first-time watchthrough of TNG with my wife. We're up to Conspiracy (although we skipped a couple of the real stinkers in season 1 for now).

She already realizes that Picard is a superior captain to Kirk :smug:

After this, DS9

I'm just wondering if we should do airdate viewing with TNG/DS9/VOY. There aren't any major need-to-know bits are there? is there an EMH in DS9 towards the end?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Trent posted:

She already realizes that Picard is a superior captain to Kirk :smug:

Pretty awesome how quickly she came to the wrong conclusion.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Trent posted:

is there an EMH in DS9 towards the end?

Yes and no, there's an episode where Zimmerman is trying to make a new EMH using Bashir as the model because people don't like the version in Voyager. Having said that they explain everything you need to know about the EMH for that episode.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

LeafyOrb posted:

In none of these scenarios is "IT'S A FAAAAAAAAAKKKKE" proclaimed so be glad they never happened.
Hoping to gain an ally against the Dominion, Kirk meets with the Romulan ambassadoress, full of the grace that is woman. Kirk drops the moves on her and they end up in one of those passionate Kirk-kisses where he looks like a bear trying to claw open an icechest. The Romulan comes away with Kirk's hairpiece and hoists it aloft, crying "IT'S A FAAAAAAAAAAAKE!"

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
Then her shuttle is blown up by a childlike god being or a transporter duplicate or space gangsters and Kirk has a wistful one liner.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Kirk owns. Case Closed.

Picard is in his room reading a book while this all occurs.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tony Montana posted:

Picard is in his room reading a book while this all occurs.

As it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BK19G254zc

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MikeJF posted:

We know it did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYUyTcoe0qw

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

1st AD posted:

I didn't really pay attention to baseball in the mid-90's but I think it's pretty laughable that Buck Bokai was the epitome of baseball near the end of the sport, especially since Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were breaking records due to steroids and lifting weights.

You don't know, maybe Buck Bokai was secretly an Augment. They'd test him for juice to no avail, all because he hit a ball out of the county in his rookie year.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Majel and Odo.

We seem to have entered a nebula of lovely episodes. Although they are known to exist in great numbers in this quadrant of the series, we are amazed by their potency and frequency. We are attempting to rig a solar sail to channel some TOS and if this fails.. we may have to get off our asses and go outside. Please respond.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Majel and Odo.

We seem to have entered a nebula of lovely episodes. Although they are known to exist in great numbers in this quadrant of the series, we are amazed by their potency and frequency. We are attempting to rig a solar sail to channel some TOS and if this fails.. we may have to get off our asses and go outside. Please respond.

In DS9 Majel becomes a character. She is not taking mud bathes with Alexander in it.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Apollodorus posted:

Oh there are plenty of Americans who thing that's stupid, too, don't worry.

Ahem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Zealand

:colbert:

See, this is pretty good, but it really is hard to compete with some of the New Zealand landscapes used in movies to represent fantastic worlds like Middle Earth or whatever. Like, how are these real places? (Granted, some of those aren't real.)

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

bobkatt013 posted:

In DS9 Majel becomes a character. She is not taking mud bathes with Alexander in it.

It's pretty amazing what they do with her, really. After watching DS9, it's kind of sad to go back and see Deanna do nothing but :rolleyes: at her mother constantly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tony Montana posted:

Majel and Odo.

The first time I watched that episode, I came in with all my TNG assumptions about Lwaxana Troi and hated it all the way through. After a few years, I watched it again, and went in with more of an open mind. It's still a little grating (season one) but I actually found the payoff really touching.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
That one episode with Lwaxana in TNG was great, it had everything -- Picard reciting Shakespeare, TNG-era Ferengi, Lwaxana Troi and her wacky marriage/romance hijinks. It was just hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I didn't think Lwaxana was particularly interesting in either TNG or DS9, to be honest. Plus, I think she's in that weird Midsummer Night's Dream in space episode, which was awkward at best.

I have like four episodes left of DS9 in season 5 and a few left of Voyager in season 3. At least Kes will be leaving soon. I'm sick of her being used as a love object/compassionate support person for just about everyone on the ship.

• Locked thread