Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

So, is the particle accelerator going to be where Barry gets his powers?

e X posted:

That and/or lighting. There were an awful lot of thunderstorms in this episode.

What if the particle accelerator is struck by lightning? :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bbf2 posted:

I thought for some reason she was bluffing and had somehow found out about Ra's Al Ghul but hadn't actually been in contact with him. Especially since the part about Ra's not being on board with the Undertaking seemed odd, the Undertaking sounds like exactly the type of thing the League of Assassins would do and be a-ok with. It's not too far off from what they did to Gotham in Batman Begins (e.g try to destroy the whole city.

Nah, there was that super suspicious scene early in the episode where she was talking to some shady dude and he's all "I'll tell him what you said." Which implies that she totally got ahold of Ra's.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, there was that super suspicious scene early in the episode where she was talking to some shady dude and he's all "I'll tell him what you said." Which implies that she totally got ahold of Ra's.

This was the only thing about the episode that I hated by the way. I can kind of understand why they wanted to have that scene to show us that hey, she really talked to someone, but it was completely ridiculous for it to happen the way it did and I think would've been better off being cut. That way there's still some mystery as to whether or not she's bluffing (which, to be fair, she still might be in a way) and we don't have this ridiculous exchange happen:

"Hey Mom, why was that mysterious man that we've never met before in our house talking to you?"
"Oh don't worry about it."

Yeah, cause it's not like you just barely dodged getting the loving death sentence for secretly conspiring with a madman. Yeah, no big deal, I'm sure you meet random strangers in your home all the time. No more lies or secrets, right? Yay Mom, so good to have you back! Oh, you also just want to randomly tell me you love me as well? Great, I love you too! Yup, nothing weird about this entire scene at all. Who wants shots?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VDay posted:

This was the only thing about the episode that I hated by the way. I can kind of understand why they wanted to have that scene to show us that hey, she really talked to someone, but it was completely ridiculous for it to happen the way it did and I think would've been better off being cut. That way there's still some mystery as to whether or not she's bluffing (which, to be fair, she still might be in a way) and we don't have this ridiculous exchange happen:

"Hey Mom, why was that mysterious man that we've never met before in our house talking to you?"

Yeah, cause it's not like you just barely dodged getting the loving death sentence for secretly conspiring with a madman. Yeah, no big deal, I'm sure you meet random strangers in your home all the time. No more lies or secrets, right? Yay Mom, so good to have you back! Oh, you also just want to randomly tell me you love me as well? Great, I love you too! Yup, nothing weird about this entire scene at all. Who wants shots?

That is so true, I was pretty put off by this exchange for exactly the reasons you listed.

Still this was an awesome episode, as I am saying nearly every time. Even better than the last episode. Barry Allen is adorable. And gently caress you Ollie, I'm 29 and people are still asking for my ID when I buy alcohol.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I let that exchange with a shady unknown man slide. Thea and Oliver were both distracted by phone calls, and as far as they are concerned, other than "cooperating out of fear" with Meryln, their mother is exactly who they thought she was before the whole Undertaking reveal. It's plausible that she simply has a lot of social life housekeeping to attend to after coming out of prison, rather than the fact that she has jumped straight into conspiring with more shadowy figures after escaping the death penalty a week ago.

Moira clearly has a lot of knowledge of the criminal underworld, and history with people on the list - such as Isobel Rochev, but her kids don't have a clue, or reason to suspect anything at the moment.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

VDay posted:

I actually assumed it was one of Malcolm's goons, and never gave it another thought till now.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

bbf2 posted:

I thought for some reason she was bluffing and had somehow found out about Ra's Al Ghul but hadn't actually been in contact with him. Especially since the part about Ra's not being on board with the Undertaking seemed odd, the Undertaking sounds like exactly the type of thing the League of Assassins would do and be a-ok with. It's not too far off from what they did to Gotham in Batman Begins (e.g try to destroy the whole city.

I think there is a key difference you are overlooking.

Gotham was a totally corrupt city and the League's plan was cause enough chaos and damage that the city tore itself apart.

Whereas Malcolm's plan wasn't to clear a corrupt city off the map but to specifically target just the poorest part of the city where his wife was killed.

Maybe Ras isn't fond of his underlings using LoA resources to kill filthy poors in personal vendettas.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I thought was kind of goofy about the episode was during the party Oliver was standing at the bar talking to Isobel, walked away, then after Isobel and Moira started talking walked back. All in the space of about a minute.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

muscles like this? posted:

Something I thought was kind of goofy about the episode was during the party Oliver was standing at the bar talking to Isobel, walked away, then after Isobel and Moira started talking walked back. All in the space of about a minute.

Well there was practically no one there. :D

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Blackchamber posted:

Maybe Ras isn't fond of his underlings using LoA resources to kill [...] in personal vendettas.

That's like 90% of all LoA plans.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
Grant Austin was pretty great, seems like he'll do fine as Flash.

As for the League of Assassins, I'm not going to assume they're going to act exactly like their comics incarnation or the Batman Begins version, I wouldn't be surprised if this show threw something different at us. From what Moira said, it seems the LoA's beef with Malcolm was about the Undertaking and not just with the fact that he faked his death.

Wild speculation: Cyrus Gold is a red herring. Slade's going to be this show's Solomon Grundy.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Torrannor posted:

And gently caress you Ollie, I'm 29 and people are still asking for my ID when I buy alcohol.

You babyface people got the better deal, people have thought I was 30 since I was 16. :smith:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I wonder if they are going to turf Felicity over to the Flash if the show gets picked up. I feel like they actually might, since they might think it'll make Felicity fans tune in, and because shippers are going to hate Laurel as long as Felicity is around. They might force a show change on her just in an attempt to make Laurel relevant.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Error 404 posted:

You babyface people got the better deal, people have thought I was 30 since I was 16. :smith:

It's not as if the carding ever actually stops. My dad is 68 and still gets carded.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Shakugan posted:

I wonder if they are going to turf Felicity over to the Flash if the show gets picked up. I feel like they actually might, since they might think it'll make Felicity fans tune in, and because shippers are going to hate Laurel as long as Felicity is around. They might force a show change on her just in an attempt to make Laurel relevant.

I'd be reasonably certain Arrow isn't going to pull a Glee and let tumblr/twitter users effectively dictate important financial/showrunning decisions like that.

That's not to say they might not add her to the Flash cast regardless, either for a few episodes at launch or for an actual full season+. Using familiar faces to launch tv shows isn't unheard of, but if they do that, it won't be because they need to get rid of Felicity to salvage Laurel. (Or rather, getting rid of Felicity won't suddenly make people begrudgingly like Laurel, so doing that explicitly for that reason would be pretty dumb.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

xeria posted:

I'd be reasonably certain Arrow isn't going to pull a Glee and let tumblr/twitter users effectively dictate important financial/showrunning decisions like that.

That's not to say they might not add her to the Flash cast regardless, either for a few episodes at launch or for an actual full season+. Using familiar faces to launch tv shows isn't unheard of, but if they do that, it won't be because they need to get rid of Felicity to salvage Laurel. (Or rather, getting rid of Felicity won't suddenly make people begrudgingly like Laurel, so doing that explicitly for that reason would be pretty dumb.)

If anything she will show up every now and then to give him tech support.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

She could do both. I'm sure her filming for the show takes about 2 days per episode.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Blackchamber posted:

Maybe Ras isn't fond of his underlings using LoA resources to kill filthy poors in personal vendettas.

WHO'SE been using my Lazarath Pit?

BARROWMAN!!!:argh:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

No Butt Stuff posted:

She could do both. I'm sure her filming for the show takes about 2 days per episode.

This show has the feel of one where the cast hangs out all the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sbaldrick posted:

This show has the feel of one where the cast hangs out all the time.

Katie Cassiday has no chemistry with anyone so I bet they tell her they're all going one place and then go somewhere else.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rhyno posted:

Katie Cassiday has no chemistry with anyone so I bet they tell her they're all going one place and then go somewhere else.

In that case they should perhaps export Laurel to the Flash spin-off.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Torrannor posted:

I never knew how much I wanted this to happen until right now. Now I'm sad because it won't happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Torrannor posted:

Why would you do that Barry?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Why would you do that Barry?

Barry joins the Arrow team and commutes from Central to Starling. Thus, while he's in the Flash show, he's only there for half an episode and the rest is Laurel Lance, Central City ADS.

Then, when it gets canceled for low ratings, Barry joins Arrow fulltime and Laurel is gone.

Ohgod, I just wrote actual fanfiction. And I'm not sure it's that bad.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I know this is a ploy to get rid of Laurel, but Barry really should be able to be in both series without any problems explaining how he manages it :colbert:

And I ma so looking forward to the Rogues, Flash really has one of the best Rogue galleries in all of comicdom, especially when they work together. The are basically one big, evil family.

e X fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 5, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

e X posted:

I know this is a ploy to get rid of Laurel, but Barry really should be able to be in both series without any problems explaining how he manages it :colbert:

And I ma so looking forward to the Rogues, Flash really has one of the best Rogue galleries in all of comicdom, especially when they work together. The are basically one big, evil family.

I wonder who they are going to have as the supporting cast. I hope they have Pied Piper.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
While we're talking about Flash, casting calls for Iris West and her father have supposedly surfaced:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49531

If that's true, is interesting that they're making them african-american.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

e X posted:

I can see it now. At the end of an episode of the Flash, he gets a phone call from Ollie. Start of Arrow, Ollie calls him, and he shows up while they're still talking.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I must admit that i was a little disappointed in this episode, i found Barry to be super annoying, and it has made me a lot more hesitant to watch the Flash show, whenever that starts. Also Oliver's method for dealing with that minion with the super powers, was surprisingly similar to his way of dealing with the guy during their first encounter, why not bring along some special arrows when you know the regular kinds don't do anything?

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Dead Snoopy posted:

WHO'SE been using my Lazarath Pit?

BARROWMAN!!!:argh:

I can't read that without mentally hearing it in Bender's voice. Suddenly I want that to be R'as' voice so bad.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013

Oasx posted:

I must admit that i was a little disappointed in this episode, i found Barry to be super annoying, and it has made me a lot more hesitant to watch the Flash show, whenever that starts. Also Oliver's method for dealing with that minion with the super powers, was surprisingly similar to his way of dealing with the guy during their first encounter, why not bring along some special arrows when you know the regular kinds don't do anything?

Taser arrow probably won't slow him down much, and Ollie did use the... bola arrow? to trap Cyrus but he just ripped that off. And I don't quite think Ollie's thought of inventing super glue or freeze arrows yet.

He could've tried poking him with two dozen tranq arrows, though. That might've done the trick.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

While we're talking about Flash, casting calls for Iris West and her father have supposedly surfaced:

I like that call, all my new favorite tv shows this year have had quite a minority heavy cast. Brooklyn Nine Nine, Almost Human, Sleepy Hollow all have been excellent and shows that didn't like Tomorrow People and Shield have been pretty mediocre. I'm sure it's not a direct correlation but I'm using it as an excuse to get super jazzed about the Flash show. :D

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I really really hope they didn't just kill Slade. Like that, anyway. (I know Canary asked about him, but maybe they screwed up there.)

Cityinthesea posted:

That scene where Ollie shot Roy reminded me of Nikita shooting Alex in the leg.
I totally thought of this. When CW shows are good: a good guy will cripple another in an alleyway.

I also totally thought it looked like Ollie was fighting Bane in that last confrontation. (The stunt with the door in their previous fight was great too.)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I found this episode rather exposition-heavy. There were three separate 'this is my backstory' monologues in this episode alone and they were all delivered rather clunkily (Barrowman's NanDA parBAHT pronunciation, ugh. He reminded me of that old SNL skit making fun of newscasters and their NICARAGUA and the CONTRAS said in the most outlandish Spanish accent ever). Barry's 'my mom is dead' speech and the thing with Roy's friend and her dead artist friend and... I understand there was a lot of information that had to get out this episode, but show don't tell, huh? Or maybe save some of it for later episodes.

Everything just felt really rushed and not in a good way but in a 'we only have a two-part miniseries to get this guy's spinoff launched and get the audience familiar with him so here, barf out this two paragraph long backstory so we can include all the OTHER stuff we've got going on and still come in under 45m.'

The episode wasn't bad (the truck fight was awesome, Ollie shooting Roy was eye-opening, Moira's turnabout on Barrowman was amusing if a bit far-fetched, hopefully they flesh out why she has one of R'as' dudes on speeddial or knew where to find him, Ollie getting a leg full of what I presume is ketamine, the actor playing Barry was good) but I'm beginning to agree with those who have said the show tries to cram a little TOO much into each episode. Which is a good problem to have until you blow your wad and run out of material.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I am in full approval of this, both as a cast diversification measure and because it makes internet racists really mad every time they make usually white characters into minorities. :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hcreight posted:

I am in full approval of this, both as a cast diversification measure and because it makes internet racists really mad every time they do this. :allears:

They should make Pied Piper the love interest and black.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
If they move Felicity off Arrow I will stop watching ALL TV EVER.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Didn't Oliver and Felicia pretty much declare their love for each other a few episodes back? Just seemed a little weird how fast they went to Barry and Felicia together.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Oasx posted:

Didn't Oliver and Felicia pretty much declare their love for each other a few episodes back? Just seemed a little weird how fast they went to Barry and Felicia together.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oasx posted:

No, she said she didn't understand how he could bang fetus face when Felicity was standing right there. Ollie sort of shrugged it off and we all know he's in love with Laurel.

• Locked thread