Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Koe no Katachi 17

What does that symbol at the end mean? Is it some kind of emoticon?
Looks like a Kirby face and arm to me.

That version is missing a huge number of pages, by the way. Try this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mygna posted:

Looks like a Kirby face and arm to me.

That version is missing a huge number of pages, by the way. Try this one.

Aw, little Shouya's jealous :allears:

This series' fantastic.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
:sbahj:

(click me^^)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

drat, Tsukune looks really cool.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
He really doesn't. :downsgun:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Haha, Tsukune looks ridiculous.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Yeah he definitely needs something for his goofy regular face.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah he definitely needs something for his goofy regular face.

Just the face? Everything about him looks goofy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Looks like Tsukune couldn't get the real suit and is just using a cheap cosplay :v:

Great chapter though even if the ending was predictable as gently caress.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like I'm the only one who still thinks that Rosario+Vampire is Real Bad.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who still thinks that Rosario+Vampire is Real Bad.
I couldn't even get past the first chapter. But to make this a little more relevant, does anyone have recommendations for decent shounen that has good treatment of its female characters? I'm not really looking for the usual fanservice and/or harem fare, and I prefer series where the female characters actually get to do interesting stuff.

EDIT: Some example of shounen series I really liked include Full Metal Alchemist, Kekkaishi, Sengoku Youko, Record of Fallen Vampire, Koe no Katachi...

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 5, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even I will say that's not entirely fair, because that material was even worse. Generic, bad comedy, high fanservice, laughable action, you know the drill. In the "sequel" it's been made darker/edgier/moreextreme/noreallytakeusseriouslynow but it's still incredibly generic and predictable (I will straight call anyone who hasn't seen the last 10+ "twists" coming a liar). The characters are still cardboard cutouts and overall it offers nothing over most other shounen fighters (an already low bar).

As for your question, maybe Claymore? Though it's been kind of boring lately.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I couldn't even get past the first chapter. But to make this a little more relevant, does anyone have recommendations for decent shounen that has good treatment of its female characters? I'm not really looking for the usual fanservice and/or harem fare, and I prefer series where the female characters actually get to do interesting stuff.

EDIT: Some example of shounen series I really liked include Full Metal Alchemist, Kekkaishi, Sengoku Youko, Record of Fallen Vampire, Koe no Katachi...

Read One Piece. Getting the volumes (try the local library!) is highly recommended because of the terrible terrible online scanlation quality for the first half or so. If you can adapt to the somewhat unconventional art style, the story just ramps up and up and up!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I couldn't even get past the first chapter.
Both the art and the plot focus changed drastically for the better partway through.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is still a harem manga, with all the standard harem manga bullshit. It doesn't really matter what else they do with the story, because that tired old nonsense keeps the rest of it from ever being better than mediocre.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DrSunshine posted:

Read One Piece. Getting the volumes (try the local library!) is highly recommended because of the terrible terrible online scanlation quality for the first half or so. If you can adapt to the somewhat unconventional art style, the story just ramps up and up and up!
One Piece is still king when it comes to shounen fighters overall, but Oda does not do all that well with his female characters in just about any respect.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Nate RFB posted:

One Piece is still king when it comes to shounen fighters overall, but Oda does not do all that well with his female characters in just about any respect.

Expecting decent female characters in any media is something of a long shot, but in manga it's pretty loving difficult.

That's not an excuse, I'm just pointing out that it's not particularly specific to One Piece, so if they can get past that problem in other manga, they can get past it in One Piece.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah but the question was specifically about having female characters doing "interesting stuff". That just isn't One Piece no matter how you slice it.

E: It's still worth reading in general, of course! I love OP. Just isn't the best response to that question.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 5, 2013

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Well, One Piece has had female characters engaging in interesting fights and suchlike at times, but since there's only about four major female characters and one body type, it's a little difficult to find them as the focal point. That I definitely agree with, even though One Piece is still pretty great.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is still a harem manga, with all the standard harem manga bullshit. It doesn't really matter what else they do with the story, because that tired old nonsense keeps the rest of it from ever being better than mediocre.

The harem aspect has been really downplayed as late (in fact we have a clear winner now and the remaining girls have gotten another love interests)

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'll make it clear that my expectations for this're moderate. What I said about female characters doing interesting stuff was pretty much just my ideal--the main thrust was that I didn't want fanservice heavy/haremy series. Though I've actually liked UQ Holder so far, but then again it's had decently strong female characters and I don't remember any obnoxious panels zoomed in on asses/thighs/breasts or panty shots. So I've been able to tolerate the occasional nudity and bath scene.

I guess what I'm asking for more than anything is series that won't make me groan and roll my eyes then put them down. OP, while not ideal in female representation, does seem to meet that criteria. Of course, if a series's particularly exceptional in this regard, I'm interested in hearing about it. But I kinda tend to expect that more in shoujo/josei and even seinen.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 5, 2013

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If you're trying to read something without any obnoxious, unavoidable fanservice, then whatever you do, don't read Fairy Tail.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Really if you want complex female characters the first thing you should do is look outside the section written for teenage boys.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

coathat posted:

Really if you want complex female characters the first thing you should do is look outside the section written for teenage boys.
Yeah, and that's what I generally do, really. There's a reason I said my expectations are moderate. I was just asking on the outside chance of any outstanding recommendations I might have missed. I'm satisfied with anything that's a good read and doesn't make me totally roll my eyes.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 5, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Ga-Rei and Tokyo ESP treat their female characters pretty well.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Yeah, and that's what I generally do, really. There's a reason I said my expectations are moderate. I was just asking on the outside chance of any outstanding recommendations I might have missed. I'm satisfied with anything that's a good read and doesn't make me totally roll my eyes.

Eyeshield 21 does not have a vast number of female characters, in fact you're kind of stuck with 2 being anything more than essentially guest appearances for short story arcs, but the series does not really do much in the way of fanservice. Which is amazing since at least 50% of the women showing up are cheerleaders, and most other mangas would be all over that for the chance to draw pantyshots and unrealistic cleavage.

Plus it just so happens to be the greatest sports manga ever created, provided you like American football as played by superhumans ranging from 4 feet tall to 14 feet tall.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Really, I think that if someone went into ADTRW saying that they were actually looking for recommendations on series with lots of fanservice and harems and such, they'd be laughed out rather quickly.

EDIT: Oh yes! Recommending for good female characters -- Attack on Titan! Some of the best, most badass female characters -- Annie and Mikasa are two examples -- are given front and center roles in parts of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RatHat posted:

Ga-Rei and Tokyo ESP treat their female characters pretty well.

Well, actually it treats them like crap. Just heaping up misfortune after misfortune, but the nice thing is how they then rise to the occasion. Segawa's female characters tend to be physically and mentally tough as hell, really.

It might be better to say that they are written well rather than treated them well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 5, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

Plus it just so happens to be the greatest sports manga ever created, provided you like American football as played by superhumans ranging from 4 feet tall to 14 feet tall.

Eyeshield is the best :allears:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

The only thing that comes to mind that hasn't already been mentioned in Psyren.

Tower of God (which is Korean rather than Japanese, but still clearly a shonen action series) is a maybe. The female characters certainly "actually get to do interesting stuff," and I don't remember much fanservice, but there's arguably some weird gender-related subtext that I'm not quite sure what to make of.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Fuego Fish posted:

I thought Rookies was a baseball manga.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Kanzaki Nao in Liar Game is a pretty good female character and has actual character development.

Edit: Although I guess that's Seinen, not Shonen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DrSunshine posted:

One Piece Fag/another group have redone the first 20 or so, carrying you through the adventures of Monkey D Rufi and Lolonoa Zolo

e: OnePieceFag/Nitoryu, volume 22 is scheduled to be out soonish.

coathat
May 21, 2007

You should just buy it. Do not steal.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I haven't read the scanlations of One Piece but I distinctly remember a scan of the page where Donquixote Doflamingo and Bartholomew Kuma are first introduced as "Tanjihado Lofulamingo" and "Bisoromi Bear." Also, who can forget the immortal yukiwaliso?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coathat posted:

You should just buy it. Do not steal.

On the other hand it's 600+ dollars to read all of One Piece!

coathat
May 21, 2007

Go to the library then. Obeying the law is not just the right thing to do its also cool.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coathat posted:

Go to the library then. Obeying the law is not just the right thing to do its also cool.

Not every library has 60+ volumes of a single comic. I'd wager that most don't. If it's available legally obviously go with that but downloading it isn't a loving capital crime that we need to be arguing about in a forum where most of this poo poo is consumed illegally, Jesus Christ. Especially since Oda has said he doesn't care if people download it precisely because it's such a long series and that's the most effective way to get caught up. At one point, the official JP site had a shitload of it up, for free, legally.

Who gives a gently caress, is what I'm saying.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, have you been to a library? They are dens of evil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Do you know that inter library loans are a thing? Just talk to the librarian and you can get almost any book.

You shouldn't steal licensed manga.