Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah, I mean, outside of the Simpsons, have voice actors ever successfully fought for increased rates? I imagine VA contracts are way cheaper than actor contracts. Also, does syndication even make that much money these days? It probably might, if international syndication is a thing I guess, but I would imagine ratings for your run of the mill daily reruns are dropped through the floor considering that primetime ratings for new episodes have all but collapsed in the past 10 years.

I'd imagine piracy and DVD collections have made syndication a lot less profitable for everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Lurdiak posted:

I'd imagine piracy and DVD collections have made syndication a lot less profitable for everyone involved.

I'd say legit streaming, DVD collections, and the fact that there are like 10 different cable networks that show syndicated shows at any given time probably have done far more damage than piracy could possibly hope to.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

I'd say legit streaming, DVD collections, and the fact that there are like 10 different cable networks that show syndicated shows at any given time probably have done far more damage than piracy could possibly hope to.

I believe that's why networks have started websites for individual shows just to track what network on what day reruns are on. So if you wanted to watch The Middle, you check that website because it will be on every single day, though maybe on different channels/at different times.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-finds-wonder-woman-661991?mobile_redirect=false

So on the one hand, I guess this kills any chance of a Wonder Woman TV show, since she is going to be in the next Superman Movie, on the other hand, she doesn't seem very Amazonian at all... Is she going to Christian Bale herself into the role?

Also, I assume WB wouldn't continue interest in a TV show when a movie actress was already cast for the role in their next big film... But then again, they are creating an ever expanding TV universe within Arrow that already includes multiple other Justice Leaguers... Who knows what the hell they are thinking anymore?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

ToastyPotato posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-finds-wonder-woman-661991?mobile_redirect=false

So on the one hand, I guess this kills any chance of a Wonder Woman TV show, since she is going to be in the next Superman Movie, on the other hand, she doesn't seem very Amazonian at all... Is she going to Christian Bale herself into the role?

Also, I assume WB wouldn't continue interest in a TV show when a movie actress was already cast for the role in their next big film... But then again, they are creating an ever expanding TV universe within Arrow that already includes multiple other Justice Leaguers... Who knows what the hell they are thinking anymore?

DC just strikes me as doing anything without a real overall plan. I don't think they want to make one single overarching universe like marvel. They have movie money and tv money and that's all it is.

That said, tossing wonder woman into the superman movie just seems odd. So in the enxt movie you have to introduce lex, wonder woman, the new batman, and whatever else. It's going to be convoluted as gently caress and really not a superman movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Well, you have to remember that old people still watch a lot of TV. A lot of original syndicated programming like Wheel of Fortune or Entertainment Tonight is catering to an old audience and knows it. Also, remember that we're not running out of old people very soon as we have the years of baby boomers having just entered their fifties.

The bigger thing right now is that there is no channel anywhere that doesn't rely on either some paid programming, syndicated content, or non-original content. Take AMC which has big shows, but makes a good deal of its money off of movies that don't cost too much. There is always going to be airtime to fill and syndicated reruns will be a viable option until the house of cards collapses altogether. I think you are seeing a little more narrow of a field in what shows are picked up though. How I Met Your Mother for example is way over syndicated. In my neck of the woods, it airs on like five channels.

Kids networks are a bit different though. Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney have seemed to move further and further away from airing unoriginal content. I think you can "blame" that on Nickelodeon producing shows in the 90s that had an aesthetic and branding which really made it clear what channel they were airing on. So, they do function a bit differently than a lot of channels.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Morand posted:

DC just strikes me as doing anything without a real overall plan. I don't think they want to make one single overarching universe like marvel. They have movie money and tv money and that's all it is.

That said, tossing wonder woman into the superman movie just seems odd. So in the enxt movie you have to introduce lex, wonder woman, the new batman, and whatever else. It's going to be convoluted as gently caress and really not a superman movie.

I seem to remember folks at D.C.saying their characters were so iconic they didn't need to have a shared universe. I think this was around when MoS or green lantern was coming out, well before they decided to shove everyone into MoS 2

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
GL looked like it was desperately trying to set up a shared universe with Amanda Waller.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

greatn posted:

GL looked like it was desperately trying to set up a shared universe with Amanda Waller.

Yeah, it was pretty clear she was supposed to be their Nick Fury that connected all the films.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, it wouldn't be the first time DC said a bald-faced lie in order to show how different they are from Marvel.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Morand posted:

At this point, DC and WB are probably pretty desperate. They see Marvel/Disney getting one hit after another while they get mediocre result at nest, unless its Batman. You can bet that originally, MoS 2 had neither Batman nor any other Superhero in its story, but since the movie wasn't Ironman, they, yet again, don't have a basis to launch their own shared universe.

Seriously, the universe idea was a pretty big gamble by Marvel, but since it worked out, it's absolutely genius, because it basically let's them introduce any property without to much trouble, because the foundation is already there. At the same time, the different movies stand well enough on their own that you don't have to see them all to understand them. Kind of reminds me of the "Do you want to know more" system from Starship Trooper. "Do you want to know more about these nordic gods that left a powerful artifact for the Nazis? Watch Thor". Thinking about it, that might be the problem of AoS.

WB on the other hand has nothing and they don't have the successful movie to attach the less well know heroes to ( I doubt that Thor would have had the same success if it wasn't attached to the Avenger idea. I like the movie, but without the Superhero tie-in, it's basically just another "epic" fantasy movie they keep pumping out every year since LotR). They gave the director of their biggest success free hand and in return, he made his hero as unsuited for a broader heroic universe as possible. Nolan's Batman would work better in an Expendables sequel than a Justice League movie.

Bottom line, they're kind of out of option. Marvel will continue to churn out superhero movies for every property they own, until the market is saturated and the interested declines, while WB struggles to get people to watch a movie that doesn't include the two biggest superheroes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Yeah, it was pretty clear she was supposed to be their Nick Fury that connected all the films.
That would have been a perfect way to do it, too. Buuuut, DC.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Would have been if Green Lantern didn't crater in theaters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

Would have been if Green Lantern didn't crater in theaters.

Maybe if they had actually made a good movie.

Anyway, for actual TV stuff, last night's Arrow introduced Barry Allen and he was a lot of fun. There's a little bit of Silver Age in him as he's constantly late for everything. Also the show was just taunting people last night because they had a scene with Barry climbing on a shelf full of dangerous chemicals while you heard lightning in the background.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Green Lantern was 2 or 3 above average movies focus grouped into 1 lovely one.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

muscles like this? posted:

Anyway, for actual TV stuff, last night's Arrow introduced Barry Allen and he was a lot of fun. There's a little bit of Silver Age in him as he's constantly late for everything. Also the show was just taunting people last night because they had a scene with Barry climbing on a shelf full of dangerous chemicals while you heard lightning in the background.

I think part of that is that they were going to have Barry become the Flash in Arrow but decided against it and have moved his origin off to his own show. Also the fact that this was the first episode Geoff Johns co-wrote.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

That would have been a perfect way to do it, too. Buuuut, DC.
Eh, I think Amanda should always be a subversive not central element in the DC Universe. Marvel's push in the last few years to make SHIELD the center of the Marvel Universe in its different incarnations makes sense for Marvel especially when the de facto leader of the Marvel superheroes is a soldier. I don't think it works as well for DC. Amanda and the corner of the DC Universe she usually lives in is cool because it's this dingy and shady corner of a world built around Superman's optimism. When you make her the center, she's a low-rate Nick Fury at best.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

Eh, I think Amanda should always be a subversive not central element in the DC Universe. Marvel's push in the last few years to make SHIELD the center of the Marvel Universe in its different incarnations makes sense for Marvel especially when the de facto leader of the Marvel superheroes is a soldier. I don't think it works as well for DC. Amanda and the corner of the DC Universe she usually lives in is cool because it's this dingy and shady corner of a world built around Superman's optimism. When you make her the center, she's a low-rate Nick Fury at best.
Oh, I agree--I didn't think she should be Front And Center, but...present, almost more like Coulson early on.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Dumb poo poo like this is hard to get right, but Arrow tends to nail it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That doesn't seem to be necessary to make a billion dollars and craft your big web of shared universes.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aphrodite posted:

That doesn't seem to be necessary to make a billion dollars and craft your big web of shared universes.

Nobody wants to touch a failure. That's a pretty good general rule, but it gets iron clad in dysfunctional places like DC.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

StumblyWumbly posted:

Nobody wants to touch a failure. That's a pretty good general rule, but it gets iron clad in dysfunctional places like DC.

I bet this is why the X-Men movies have been all Wolverene all the time with a small side of new origins.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, popular things suck.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Oh I know they couldn't continue off it, I just meant that Marvel is doing pretty well even though only a couple of the movies in the whole thing were well received.

I guess they did start off with one that was, though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah, the 2003 Hulk movie had similar worldwide box office returns to the 2011 Green Lantern movie (although on a lower budget) and most sites give them similar ratings. I'm guessing that the '03 Hulk was testing the waters to check the viability for a shared cinematic universe and was so crappy that Marvel went back to the drawing board and rebooted it 5 years later, slipping it into theatres about a month after Iron Man. The '08 Hulk still failed to break even in the US market and only earned slightly more than the '03 film, probably less if you take inflation into account.

I think that DC's biggest mistake was to not have Nolan's Batman trilogy lead into Batman vs Superman but The Dark Knight Rises was released only a few months after The Avengers so they wouldn't have known that shared universes could be super profitable when they were wrapping it up.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 5, 2013

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Hulk was Universal, Iron Man was the first Marvel movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

StumblyWumbly posted:

Hulk was Universal, Iron Man was the first Marvel movie.

Ugh, of course it was, I'm a dope. :doh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hulk was the superhero film that fans deserved, but not the one they needed.

vvv True that.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 5, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hulk was better than fans deserved.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hulk wasn't as smart a film as it clearly wanted to be.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That criticism isn't as smart as it wasn't to be.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
Rehashing again whether hulk was good or bad isn't as interesting as it wants to be.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hulk hammer throwing one tank and stalking towards another with the destroyed turret of different tank was only ever topped by the "puny god" scene in Avengers.

Edit: poo poo, I thought this was the movie thread.

\/\/\/That was cool!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 6, 2013

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Soonmot posted:

Hulk hammer throwing one tank and stalking towards another with the destroyed turret of different tank was only ever topped by the "puny god" scene in Avengers.

Edit: poo poo, I thought this was the movie thread.

I liked the ripped up car hulk hands bit that they stole from the Ultimate Destruction game too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

I liked the ripped up car hulk hands bit that they stole from the Ultimate Destruction game too.

That for real might be my favorite part in any of the Marvel movies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I finally got my hands on Mike Grells Green Arrow run and am really digging some of the references they pulled from it, it's very very different in tone of the show but there's some obvious parallels. I really hope they go the route in the book with Ollie. It's really great.

edit:

DC also doesn't have Marvel's unified vision by Avi Arad ( I think he's still in charge and that is how he spelled his name).

I mean MArvel definitively knows where they are going with their movies and DC doesn't have a loving clue. Disney is from what I understand rather hands off with Marvel only in the supporting and taking the cash scheme of things.

They have all this other poo poo on their plate with Star Wars etc.. so yeah.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Warner Bros. owns DC.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 7, 2013

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Avi Arad's vision is what gave us Spider-Man 3. He stepped down from Marvel Studio's in '06 though he still gets it think exec producer credits on Marvel films.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Kevin Feige is the big man at Marvel Studios.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Marvel movies also take on comic writers as script advisors. I think the first Spider-Man did add well but I don't know if Nolan did for Batman. Green Lantern did have Johns advising...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This sounds dreadful:

quote:

Looks like Gotham will show us a part of Bruce Wayne's life we've only glimpsed.

Earlier this week, we reported that Gotham potentially had a timeline when it was announced that Gordon's first case would be "a very famous double homicide." Now, thanks to information on TV Show Auditions, it is all but confirmed that the series will take place in the wake of the Waynes' murders.

The site states that FOX is currently casting series regulars in Los Angeles, one of whom will be 10-year old Bruce Wayne. It's probably safe to assume, based on this news, that Gotham is firmly set in that time period rather than portraying the investigation in flashbacks. Another bit of evidence is TV Show Auditions' story synopsis, which simply states, "Set in the early days of James Gordon's police tenure, when he meets a boy named Bruce Wayne..."

Gotham's pilot begins shooting in March, 2014.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/12/07/young-bruce-wayne-will-be-a-series-regular-on-gotham

Arrow picked a good time to air between the comicbook excitement and impending saturation.