Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Its a race bike. The engine life is calculated in how much HP it makes, what kind of funny noise it makes, and if it's still rebuild-able or if it has been crashed too hard.

Seems a decent deal. Even comes with a title, which is a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It seems like a meh deal to me. Endurance racing bikes see a lot more hours than normal track bikes, and that doesn't seem like a good deal on a 6 year old racebike anyways. I paid 3500 for my GSX-R with a bunch of spares (would have been 3k without), and it had a similar mod list. If he threw in the extra wheels for the 4.5k price, I'd go for it.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Regarding suspension, check out racetech for spring pricing.

So roughly $230 for a new set of springs. You can probably put on 20lbs for less than $230 in cheeseburgers.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wheels aren't included? Must have missed that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gullous posted:

So roughly $230 for a new set of springs. You can probably put on 20lbs for less than $230 in cheeseburgers.

This is flawless logic (the spring rate is probably fine as it is, spring rates vary heavily depending on riding style).

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So what is a good price? 3.5k? 4k? I don't need spare wheels and such, I only do track days.

edit: bike has 5900 miles on it

xaarman fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 5, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

It takes around 3000 excess calories to put on a pound. McDonalds cheese burgers are at $1 and 313 calories, so about $192 dollars, plenty of money left over to get yourself a McFlurry.

And there's more of you to love, so its a plus with the ladies too.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

xaarman posted:

So what is a good price? 3.5k? 4k? I don't need spare wheels and such, I only do track days.

edit: bike has 5900 miles on it

Final bump

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd say 3.5k is decent. The spare wheels are nice if you change your own tires but those lieghtweight ones are overkill for trackdays.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Those wheelsets are going for ~$1800 new on ebay. I'd buy an OEM front and sell the wheelset.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Well after agonizing over that one, and several others, I decided to stick with the SV for another year. Or until I wreck it.

Regardless, ordered track fairings, fresh fluids and will probably sell the stock plastics making it a full time track bike. Time to start prepping!

Planning on hitting Hallett, MSR Cresson, Eagles Canyon Raceway, Heartland Park Topeka, Motorpark Hastings... and I hope it's available this year... Circuit of the Americas.

Edit: Anyone know anyone who can service Penske/AK-20s in the Oklahoma'ish area?

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 13, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xaarman posted:

Well after agonizing over that one, and several others, I decided to stick with the SV for another year. Or until I wreck it.

Regardless, ordered track fairings, fresh fluids and will probably sell the stock plastics making it a full time track bike. Time to start prepping!

Planning on hitting Hallett, MSR Cresson, Eagles Canyon Raceway, Heartland Park Topeka, Motorpark Hastings... and I hope it's available this year... Circuit of the Americas.

Edit: Anyone know anyone who can service Penske/AK-20s in the Oklahoma'ish area?

Well, I mean, Traxxion is in GA.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Any of you running an old android phone + gps receiver with race chrono? Wondering how well it works before I drop ~$150 on an old phone and 10hz GPS receiver.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I hope you buy the pink model.

Traxxion is 14 hours away... I guess RaceWorx is a reputable place in Dallas'ish...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Didn't you just get the penske / ak20 setup?

Bazacko
Nov 23, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Any of you running an old android phone + gps receiver with race chrono? Wondering how well it works before I drop ~$150 on an old phone and 10hz GPS receiver.

I run a Qstarz BT818XT, hacked for 5hz and taped to the bike's tail. I bring my main android phone in my pocket. The resolution is fine enough to easily distinguish different lines through a given corner.

Also bought a windows app called RaceRender, which natively imports RaceChrono data and can do all kinds of sweet graphics - way more than I did here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaBCQNUtfmM

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Dropped the engine out of my race gsxr 600 yesterday. Found another skylight.

What i originally thought was the only skylight.

Putting the new engine in today. Picked up a 750 motor (for stupid cheap). Plan is to get it to fire up by the end of today.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

xaarman posted:

Any reason not to pick this up as a fantastic off-season acquisition?

http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread.php?29046-FS-2007-honda-cbr-600rr-endurance-bike

Suspension is set for a 180-200lb rider, how off will I be at 170 lbs? How much would it cost to get it re-sprung for my weight? Mileage is about 10-13k, but he has used different sprockets... is this a bad thing to not know the true mileage on the motor? Also no kickstand, so will have to work around that issue temporarily.

CMRA bikes tend to be well taken cared off, since the club isn't huge or anything, people usually don't screw each other when it comes to bikes. Word travels fast around these parts. I think i've seen that bike at the races as well. I bought my 07 gsxr from another CMRA member, and it was used as a backup endurance bike. Had it a good while before i blew the motor. :p

As far as the repspringing, you could take it to one of our local vendors. South Central Race Center/P1 racing, or House of Paint designs could hook you up (assuming your local to Houston or close by).

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Veritas posted:

CMRA bikes tend to be well taken cared off, since the club isn't huge or anything, people usually don't screw each other when it comes to bikes. Word travels fast around these parts. I think i've seen that bike at the races as well. I bought my 07 gsxr from another CMRA member, and it was used as a backup endurance bike. Had it a good while before i blew the motor. :p

As far as the repspringing, you could take it to one of our local vendors. South Central Race Center/P1 racing, or House of Paint designs could hook you up (assuming your local to Houston or close by).

I'm in OK by Hallett. Luckily, I decided to keep the SV for another year. Great to know about CMRA bikes though.

Good luck on your motor, that must not have been a fun surprise, lol.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Finally done with the motor swap. Hit a few snags along the way, like an engine that was no good, and some wiring issues. All is well (for now). Stock 750 motor, flashed 750 ECU, and now its wired to start of the killswitch. New rubber and new brake pads is all that's left.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The killswitch is a pretty cool mod. What kind of tires/brakes you gonna run?

BTW Hotbodies is crap bodywork and I got what I paid for. All done mounting the rear and front fender, waiting on some spare time and a friend to help with the upper/lower/windshield.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Probably going to stick with pirellis. a new compound came out, so hopefully that will drop the price of the current diablo super corsa race dots. For brakes, either stick with vesrajs or try out some EBC's.

Hotbodies do suck, used to run them on the 250 cause they were cheap. My GSXR has sharkskinz plastics. They're badass, and tough.

She's aliiiiiiive!

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
First trackday of the season tomorrow at MSR Houston, hosted by Fastline MCS. I won't be there trying out the 750. i'll be in boarding in Colorado instead. Not sad about it at all. :)

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
And she's all back together again.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

She looks very pretty.

Do you have your rearsets all the way to the top and back for comfort or for clearance?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What windscreen is that? Looks taller than a DB. Love the color setup though.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Yea, rearsets are all the way up. They used to be two holes down, but mid last season i moved them all the way up. Now it feels more like an R6 =P

Not sure about the windscreen, i thought it was a DB but i might be wrong. let me get a shot from the front. Another racer who has a a collision/paint shop did my colors, as well as kinda provides a little help (gear & parts). When i first got the bike i wanted it repainted. I told him three colors, red white and black. He did the rest.

Oh, first race weekend of the season coming up!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone been to Miller? I see they do $99 trackdays for people that have never been there. Given the scenery I'd love to hit it up this spring while there is still snow on the mountains. What is the best course layout to run? How long does the snow last on the surrounding mountains?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Miller was really nice when I went there a few years ago. I went on an SV so the faster track (west?) was a little frustrating initially because I kept getting annihilated by i4s doing the easy, big sweepers at speeds over the top speed of my SV. On a 600 or 750 it'd be a blast though. The other config is a lot of fun too, little tighter so I didnt spend as much time getting pulled on by the more powerful bikes.

Sv was super down on power at that altitude...rejetted but it was still dog slow(er than it normally was).

Facilities are pretty nice too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Perrrrfect :) I think the same person who designed Miller did AMP which is pretty cool. Perhaps I'll run west then.

Also, two trackdays in March - 3/15 and 3/16. Woop.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
My new to me team came in 24th out of 42. One of the guys had never ridden a 250, or the track until morning practice, and the other's first foray into 250's was during friday practice. I'll take it.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
A friend of a friend is building a gixxer 750 superbike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52PzOwq9VRM
Apparently they're getting 161rwhp. He's spent a bucket of cash on that ride. The speed at which it spools up is insane!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Gullous posted:

A friend of a friend is building a gixxer 750 superbike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52PzOwq9VRM
Apparently they're getting 161rwhp. He's spent a bucket of cash on that ride. The speed at which it spools up is insane!

I've been reading about EDRs 750s lately since I guess they do a lot of them. They are supposed to be stupid reliable at that power level too...

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 27, 2014

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Having recently converted from a cruiser to a more sporting bike, I was then confronted with the fact that the roads in northeast Florida suck rear end. I’m interested in going to a novice track day to hone my limited skills, but I don’t own a trailer or even a vehicle that could tow one. There’s a track about two hours from me (Jennings GP) but I didn’t know if the logistics of riding the bike there, tracking it, then riding it back would work. Especially since I wouldn’t be able to carry extra fuel or tires/parts. My worst scenario would be messing the bike up then unable to get home at the end of the day.

Is this a terrible idea or is there some other option I’m not aware of?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Doesn't seem uncommon. I rode my Street Triple 4 hours from DC to New Jersey for my first track day, but I had a hotel for the night before/after. You'll be really exhausted for the ride home.

Crashing the bike you rode there will strand you, but with only 2 hours from home, a backup plan shouldn't be too hard.

You can also post to various forums, and see if anyone near you has trailer space.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Springfield Fatts posted:

Having recently converted from a cruiser to a more sporting bike, I was then confronted with the fact that the roads in northeast Florida suck rear end. I’m interested in going to a novice track day to hone my limited skills, but I don’t own a trailer or even a vehicle that could tow one. There’s a track about two hours from me (Jennings GP) but I didn’t know if the logistics of riding the bike there, tracking it, then riding it back would work. Especially since I wouldn’t be able to carry extra fuel or tires/parts. My worst scenario would be messing the bike up then unable to get home at the end of the day.

I used to do this... then I grenaded an engine at a trackday. Now I tow my poo poo. :v:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

What kind of vehicle do you drive? UHaul rents motorcycle trailers at 16.95 a day, and you can pick it up the night before.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
A gen 1 Scion xB. I don't think it even has a trailer hitch mount.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

A gen 1 Scion xB. I don't think it even has a trailer hitch mount.
Pretty sure you could get a hitch on the xB that'll tow the uhaul trailer and a single sportbike. I got a buddy who trailered his shadow 750 from DC to San Francisco with a first gen prius when he moved. So it can be done. Not sure how legal that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Trackday at Grandsport Speedway (Houston TX) coming up on the 30th. Small track, but super fun. Extra fun on motards, and minis. The rules for lightweight group: There are no rules (just be respectful).

• Locked thread