Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

djkillingspree posted:

Rather than thinking of Nintendo as the Wii company, it's probably more realistic to look at the Wii as a fluke and remember that they've been comfortable as the 3rd place TV-based hardware manufacturer for many years.

Who for years sold their hardware at a profit. Any word on whether the Wii U is going to hit Nintendo's sales target when accounting for the holiday bump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

But a bad console is still not going to kill Nintendo. Don't know why that's so difficult to get through to people.

Selling bad hardware didn't exactly kill Blackberry either, it just made sure that people didn't purchase any further hardware made by Blackberry.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yep, no matter what they do right now I don't think it will make much of a difference until they build up a decent library of games. Like, at least a few that everyone wants to play. I'll admit that I bought one, but what's out right now that's going to make people buy the console en masse?

Wind Waker HD?
Wonderful 101?
Super Mario 3D World?
Pikmin 3?
NSMBU?

It's kind of a rare person that will look at that list of games and think "Yeah, it's totally worth it to drop 300 bucks for those games." And I mean poo poo, the console has been out for a year and those are the only games of any real note. The launch was a joke so I'm not surprised it's been doing so poorly.

Add in Nintendo being suddenly tight-lipped about what games are coming in the future and when and it makes things look kinda uncertain. drat I'd say check back in 6 months to a year and see how it's doing then.

Plus, New Super Mario Bros Wii already exists. Wind Waker already exists. As for big upcoming games, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros Brawl have been out forever. You can pretty much play the Wii-U's existing and upcoming library right now without owning one.

That leaves Mario 3D world, Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3. Not the easiest sell.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

keyvin posted:

Any word on whether the Wii U is going to hit Nintendo's sales target when accounting for the holiday bump?

Not a chance in hell. PS4/Xbone sales basically obliterated any hope of Nintendo hitting 9 million by March. I've read analyst articles saying Nintendo will get to about 6 million at the most.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Taint Reaper posted:

Selling bad hardware didn't exactly kill Blackberry either, it just made sure that people didn't purchase any further hardware made by Blackberry.

Ah yes, because Blackberry and Nintendo are the exact same thing. Same industries. Same decisions. Same results. It's that simple.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

TaurusOxford posted:

Cause even the Gamecube sold better in its first year than the WiiU has, and it had Smash Bros., Mario Kart, AND third party support that right now the WiiU could only dream of having. Not to mention that at least the Gamecube has hardware that could hold its own against the PS2. The WiiU doesn't even have THAT going for it cause it's only on par with last-gen hardware and the architecture makes it too much of a hassle for third parties to even bother trying to down-port future PS4/Xbone games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_GameCube_video_games

Outside of Capcom (who is supporting WiiU with games like Monster Hunter), there weren't really any actual majorly successful 3rd party games on the Gamecube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

Even when you look at the Wii, 3rd parties did better but they really are a drop in the bucket compared to 1st party games. Nintendo makes money off of Nintendo games, not 3rd parties.

Also, at least according to VGChartz, the WiiU had a very good November (~500k sold) which actually pushes it to about the same place the gamecube was for a full year.

I'm not disagreeing with your first point - Nintendo's problem is 100% that they haven't released enough games that people really, really want for the WiiU yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

djkillingspree posted:

Also, at least according to VGChartz, the WiiU had a very good November (~500k sold) which actually pushes it to about the same place the gamecube was for a full year.

I hate to keep repeating this but VGChartz literally makes their poo poo up. We don't have official November numbers.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Ah yes, because Blackberry and Nintendo are the exact same thing. Same industries. Same decisions. Same results. It's that simple.

Their decisions have pretty much mirrored each other thus far.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So thinking about the tablet, it seems like a dedicated multi-screen system been in Nintendo's plans for a long time anyway. I remember playing Four Swords on Gamecube and using the GBA for certain parts of it. Speaking of, I've no idea - how'd that link end up doing sales wise?

Spiffo posted:

Plus, New Super Mario Bros Wii already exists. Wind Waker already exists. As for big upcoming games, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros Brawl have been out forever. You can pretty much play the Wii-U's existing and upcoming library right now without owning one.

To be fair, remakes and long-standing franchises will sell some WiiUs. In the same way, Halo 5 will sell some Xbones.

So in the sense that Nintendo is looking for the "core gamers" I guess it makes sense to them to just throw out remakes / HD versions of games that sold well, make the next installment of long-standing series, and assume the "core gamers" will buy it for one or two games, and hopefully stick around for the others.

It's just not going to appeal to a casual gamer at all to see that list and drop the money on the system.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I hate to keep repeating this but VGChartz literally makes their poo poo up. We don't have official November numbers.

Wait for NPD or it didn't happen. If VGChartz isn't even used directionally to predict sales by companies you know its a steaming pile of lies.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

keyvin posted:

Who for years sold their hardware at a profit. Any word on whether the Wii U is going to hit Nintendo's sales target when accounting for the holiday bump?

Selling hardware at a profit doesn't mean they made their money primarily off of hardware. They are also a company that has a very successful handheld business, 14BN$ in cash on hand and no debt.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

djkillingspree posted:

I don't see how anyone who lived through the release of the N64 and Gamecube can pretend that the WiiU starting weak will kill Nintendo.

I don't think we have anybody in this thread saying Nintendo's going to die anymore. People are just saying they'll eat a loss with the Wii U and that the console will be killed off soon (which I disagree with, I think they'll continue eating the loss until they have their next console ready).

Edit:

djkillingspree posted:

Selling hardware at a profit doesn't mean they made their money primarily off of hardware. They are also a company that has a very successful handheld business, 14BN$ in cash on hand and no debt.

They have that money on hand to keep their stock price up. Spending it would murder any investor confidence they have left.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 5, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, no matter how mediocre the Wii U is doing right now, Nintendo can certainly afford to play the long game due to their now strong handheld sales.

I would also like to remind you all that the 3DS launch looked pretty dire too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Barudak posted:

Wait for NPD or it didn't happen. If VGChartz isn't even used directionally to predict sales by companies you know its a steaming pile of lies.

Earlier in this thread somebody posted a screen shot from a companies presentation (either Ubisoft or THQ) that cited VGChartz for sales figures.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Earlier in this thread somebody posted a screen shot from a companies presentation (either Ubisoft or THQ) that cited VGChartz for sales figures.

It was Square-Enix actually. Which should tell you the kind of company that actually relies on VGChartz.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Astro7x posted:

To be fair, once real numbers are available VGChartz typically uses them.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Monkey Fracas posted:

I would also like to remind you all that the 3DS launch looked pretty dire too.

Hopefully a price drop and a rerelease of a Zelda title will help the Wii U just like it did the 3DS. :v:

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I want a Wii U XL. It will be the size of the Xbone.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I want a Wii U XL. It will be the size of the Xbone.

Don't be a fool, wait for the Wii U XL i.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

"we're running outta words"
-karl pilkington

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

WiiT if the 2DS is anything to go by.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

djkillingspree posted:

They are also a company that has a very successful handheld business, 14BN$ in cash on hand and no debt.

From their public balance sheets: US$4.5b in cash reserves and US$2.6b in liabilities. No company has 'no debt'.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Spiffo posted:

But Mario 3D Land exists! And Pikmin 2!

This is just a weird argument to make. Sequels and remakes are the lifeblood of the industry, as evidenced by people shelling out for a new Call of duty every year. Nintendo is actually one of the more conservative companies in that regard (over seven years, there have been four NSMB titles over four different systems)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I wish I knew what is so magical about pikmin, if only to understand why those games are so endearing.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Rorus Raz posted:

But Mario 3D Land exists! And Pikmin 2!

True but I haven't really looked at videos or screenshots of those games so I can't really judge how similar or different or exactly they same they are to the Wii-U releases.

quote:

This is just a weird argument to make. Sequels and remakes are the lifeblood of the industry, as evidenced by people shelling out for a new Call of duty every year. Nintendo is actually one of the more conservative companies in that regard (over seven years, there have been four NSMB titles over four different systems)

Most sequels don't require me to shell out for a brand new console in order to play them. People pick up the latest Call of Duty / Shootmans games to play the latest edition in big online multiplayer skirmishes (something Nintendo has no idea how to do).

Super Mario doesn't have the same pull. Single-Player / Couch-Multiplayer games can't justify the extra $300 as easily.

I'll eventually pick up a PS4 after a price drop because there are a lot of companies making videogames for it, and will continue to do so. Not just sequels, but new games too that I haven't played before. Whereas the Wii-U is asking for $300 for Nintendo games that look exactly like the ones I just played on the Wii.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 5, 2013

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
By the way, it's already loving absurd that controllers for consoles cost $50-60. It's the reason I don't own more than one controller at a time. The fact that the WiiU replacements are $150 aren't doing it any favors either. Yes, I realize the "pro" controller exists at $50.

But on a related topic, what do you do when you play multiplayer at the same house? Does one person just not get the second screen? Or does Nintendo expect people to bring their Wiiblets over to friends' houses?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spiffo posted:

I'll eventually pick up a PS4 because there are a lot of companies making videogames for it, and will continue to do so. Not just sequels, but new games too that I haven't played before. Whereas the Wii-U is asking for $300 for Nintendo games that look exactly like the ones I just played on the Wii.

If you want Sony exclusives, buy a PS4.
If you want Microsoft exclusives, buy an X-Box One.
If you want Nintendo exclusives, buy a Wii U.
If you want third party titles looking and playing their best, buy a PC or upgrade your PC.

This is how it will be 2014 and beyond.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If you want third party titles looking and playing their best, buy a PC or upgrade your PC.

There is more that goes into deciding on a console than exclusives. They are probably the most important but I own a 360 and a PS3 and I buy most stuff on my PS3 because I prefer the controller and I don't have Xbox Live.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Mostly true, but if you want third-party titles and can settle for a step below the best graphics, you can go with PC, PS4 or Xbone. So between the three, it comes down to cost and which one has the games you want to play.

Whereas with the Wii-U, that overlap isn't as much a factor. If I want to play those third-party titles, I've crossed the Wii-U off my list before even looking at the other three. And when the remaining exclusives are the same as games I already own, there's even less reason to get one.

So where I'm sitting, it goes:
If you want Nintendo exclusives, just play them on the Wii. edit: and if you don't have a Wii, it's less than half the price and its games are already out.

The Wii-U isn't offering me anything new. The PS4 and Xbone aren't either but they just came out the other week. When (not if) they start bringing new poo poo I want to play to the table, I can start thinking about getting one. I'm not confident the Wii-U ever will.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 5, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Don't forget online multiplayer. If you have a remotely passing interest in online multiplayer with lots of players to potentially be matched up against, there is no reason to buy a Wii U.

I mean, when companies can look at their Wii U version of a game, and the option of just outright stripping away online multiplayer sounds like a good idea, there's a problem.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 5, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much the only reason you would buy a Wii U is for the Nintendo first party stuff and couch multiplayer. Those are decent enough reasons if you're into that, but there is simply nothing else.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Why anyone would buy a Wii U as their primary console and not as a supplement to your other consoles or PC is beyond me.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Why anyone would buy a Wii U as their primary console and not as a supplement to your other consoles or PC is beyond me.

Because it's priced as a primary console.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If you want Nintendo exclusives, buy a Wii U 3DS, the far superior Nintendo platform in every conceivable respect.

Fixed it for ya.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'll be really surprised if Nintendo doesn't announce a no-gamepad SKU by Q2. Yeah, yeah, it amounts to "admitting defeat", and they "just won't do it", but Nintendo is a publicly traded company- they can only flounder about for so long before the shareholders start getting ornery. Super Mario 3D World was probably their last chance to show that the WiiU as it is now can bounce back, but it's poorish sales have pretty soundly dashed those hopes. If a new 3D Mario can't do the job, it's likely that nothing else they have up their sleeves can do it either.

Nintendo really is down to the point were they have to either move forward with a radical solution like dropping the pad, or just keep on trucking and let the console die in its own time. Either way, I think the WiiU will end up being an exceptionally short-lived console- hopefully they get their poo poo together for the next one.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Nintendo is still refusing to sell standalone tablets though, so I just don't see that happening. You apparently have to break the one you have and then they'll "replace" it.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
If they sold a tablet-less Wii U, then presumably the tablet would become a game+accessory bundle. Wii U and a controller-centric game for $200, and the tablet, Nintendoland and Game and Wario for $130.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

JetsGuy posted:

Nintendo is still refusing to sell standalone tablets though, so I just don't see that happening. You apparently have to break the one you have and then they'll "replace" it.

Nintendo is still refusing to sell standalone sensor bars too. You apparently have to break the one you have an then they'll "replace" it.

Apparently Microsoft is also refusing to sell standalone Kintect 2's. If you want to buy one of those, you need to break it and they'll "replace" it as well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Nintendo is still refusing to sell standalone sensor bars too. You apparently have to break the one you have an then they'll "replace" it.

They sell them online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Apparently Microsoft is also refusing to sell standalone Kintect 2's. If you want to buy one of those, you need to break it and they'll "replace" it as well.

Hrm, its almost like these devices allow multiple users simultaneously so one is all that you need while the tablet is a single user device and the system was promoted as being capable of supporting two of them.

• Locked thread