Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

TopherCStone posted:

I felt a huge pit in my stomach when I saw that headstock break. Glad to see it's back in action!

Does anybody here have a Kala U-Bass? I kind of want one, but I'm not sure. If I do it'll probably be secondhand because $350+ is a bit too much for what would just be a fun toy for me.

Have you played one in person? The strings feel like giant rubber bands, the intonation was so so, and the output sounds somewhat like a standup bass. Unlike a standup bass, it has no bite in the tone at all. Its all a very dull thudding, boomy sound. I played a hollow and solid body version; I personally didn't like them, but a ukulele playing friend who was at the music store with me *loved* them. Which maybe that's the whole point? It's a dumb toy for bassists but a serious instrument for a ukulele player? Or maybe its a gimmick trying to cash in on the recent popularity of either hawaiian/"white guy" style reggae or just general Zooey Deschanel quirkiness? I really don't know. I definitely wouldn't pay the sticker price for one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Pics of the repair:

While it's still somewhat visible, but with the finishing work he did on it, I can't really feel it too much.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Ericadia posted:

Have you played one in person? The strings feel like giant rubber bands, the intonation was so so, and the output sounds somewhat like a standup bass. Unlike a standup bass, it has no bite in the tone at all. Its all a very dull thudding, boomy sound. I played a hollow and solid body version; I personally didn't like them, but a ukulele playing friend who was at the music store with me *loved* them. Which maybe that's the whole point? It's a dumb toy for bassists but a serious instrument for a ukulele player? Or maybe its a gimmick trying to cash in on the recent popularity of either hawaiian/"white guy" style reggae or just general Zooey Deschanel quirkiness? I really don't know. I definitely wouldn't pay the sticker price for one though.

I've loved the demos I heard on youtube, but no place nearby stocks them so I can't get my hands on one.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Dear bass expert goons, I have a problem. I have comically small hands and so I have trouble when I am trying to keep to the one finger per fret rule when I am near the nut. This isn't usually a huge problem because I can jump around well enough but there are some things that I want to play that are too fast to really do that and I need to be playing with my index on fret 1 and pinky on fret 4. This is the absolute furthest my fingers will stretch and it's really painful to do more than a few times. What I'm wondering is if there is some way to strengthen this type of maneuver through some type of exercise or if I'm just kinda hosed in this regard and should work harder on jumping around.

To be clear, the pain results from the stretching to reach both frets at once and not the application of pressure to the string (or I guess more accurately, it is the combination of both, but the mere use of my pinky isn't a problem since I can play higher up on the neck and not have problems).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

EvilChameleon posted:

Dear bass expert goons, I have a problem. I have comically small hands and so I have trouble when I am trying to keep to the one finger per fret rule when I am near the nut. This isn't usually a huge problem because I can jump around well enough but there are some things that I want to play that are too fast to really do that and I need to be playing with my index on fret 1 and pinky on fret 4. This is the absolute furthest my fingers will stretch and it's really painful to do more than a few times. What I'm wondering is if there is some way to strengthen this type of maneuver through some type of exercise or if I'm just kinda hosed in this regard and should work harder on jumping around.

To be clear, the pain results from the stretching to reach both frets at once and not the application of pressure to the string (or I guess more accurately, it is the combination of both, but the mere use of my pinky isn't a problem since I can play higher up on the neck and not have problems).

Start by practicing the run you're doing at higher frets. The 1-2-3-4 method is ok but needs to be done cautiously to get the hand used to this uncomfortable position. It's gonna get nimbler and more accustomed to the long stretch after some good practicing.

Edit: a few weeks should show a good difference. A piano teacher I knew had the smallest hands i've seen a pianist ever and he could still do much bigger octaves on the keys than many people he taught with bigger hands. It often only comes down to practice and muscle tolerance if that makes sense.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 7, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EvilChameleon posted:

Observe a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXkxu_7Tn48

drat that's a good screenshot. HNARGH

e- oh I missed that you actually are playing a 4-fret spread. Well you could still try to relax your hand as you move from one to the other, instead of keeping the hand spread open, otherwise stretching exercises are definitely your friend. What kind of things are you playing exactly?

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 7, 2013

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I suppose you could always try out a short scale instrument if nothing else seems to work out.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

EvilChameleon posted:

That's an unfortunate situation. The pain can go away, but exhaustion will still be there. I'm pretty sure the Dave Marks video above talks about immediately lifting your index finger once its done sounding the note, this is your best bet to lessen the strain.

Depending on where the pattern is played, there are a couple of other (maybe drastic) ways to deal with it: if you have a 5 string bass, and the pattern doesn't touch the low-B, play the pattern higher on the fret board, with lower strings; or, (and this is the most drastic) down-tune and play higher up on the fretboard.

EDIT: ^^^ a shortscale bass would be helpful in this situation too

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
Thanks for the advice. I've seen that video before, and I don't make a 'rule' of playing one finger per fret and I generally follow the advice given there. I am wondering if it is possible to actually practice stretching so that you can do the four fret spans, and if so, what would you recommend? I'll try what Odddzy suggested and see how that goes, though.

It's not a huge concern and it hasn't been keeping me back in general, but there are some fun, funky grooves that people with giant hands write that I just can't get down with this method. If stretching isn't an option, I'll just work around it, it's not a big deal.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

EvilChameleon posted:

Thanks for the advice. I've seen that video before, and I don't make a 'rule' of playing one finger per fret and I generally follow the advice given there. I am wondering if it is possible to actually practice stretching so that you can do the four fret spans, and if so, what would you recommend? I'll try what Odddzy suggested and see how that goes, though.

It's not a huge concern and it hasn't been keeping me back in general, but there are some fun, funky grooves that people with giant hands write that I just can't get down with this method. If stretching isn't an option, I'll just work around it, it's not a big deal.

Doing it well requires practice, like any other technique, just be mindful of injury. And don't be afraid to get creative and rearrange the bass line.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
So I just found this thing sitting around for $600 at my local shop and I had to take it home...

Any good 6 string resources or pro-tips? I've got a lot of fun ahead.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EvilChameleon posted:

There's a good stretching exercise here:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-007-FingerStretch.php
Really it's about exercising each muscle and getting your fingers used to separating more, and as you get stronger you can start moving it down the neck and do wider stretches.

That's only half the issue though - a 4-fret span at the nut is about the same stretch as a 5- or 6-fret span at the 12th fret, but the latter are still easier just because your hand and wrist and arm are all in nice alignment with your body. If you have to do this stuff at the bottom of the neck you should try and get the position as comfortable as possible - make sure your strap height and neck angle are in the best place, and try and focus on straightening the line from your arm to your hand as much as possible - no sharp angles and contortions if you can help it.

I'm a bad player but I tend to let my thumb slip down the neck if I have to do a lot of that stuff and the angles are awkward, so there's still a straight line from my fingers to my thumb to my wrist to my forearm, instead of forcing a sharp bend by keeping the thumb locked behind the second finger. The lesser evil and all that

EvilChameleon posted:

So I just found this thing sitting around for $600 at my local shop and I had to take it home...

Now you've done it!!

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

EvilChameleon posted:

Have you tried playing a five string? You could get the same low notes but farther along the neck. I often do this just for exercise, it takes some adjusting in your thought process but it might be helpful to try.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

EvilChameleon posted:

That is a simply gorgeous bass, I love the top. Is it a veneer, or is the top piece of wood really as thick as it looks?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
^^^ Solid maple, so pretty! I could look at this bass all day.

baka kaba, that's a pretty good exercise, I'll try that as well as the other suggestions (transposing, etc). Thanks guys.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

EvilChameleon posted:

It's pretty hard to diagnose technique issues without actually seeing you play. Is there any way you could take a picture of your typical hand position?

A good teacher would be able to help you with your problem.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Has anyone gone through 'Stick Control' by Stone? I've reviewed a copy and it looks like agony. Along the same lines, is there a page with rhythm exercises? I'm OK at sight-reading the bass clef but I'm terrible at reading note-lengths and rests and translating that to music.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Has anyone gone through 'Stick Control' by Stone? I've reviewed a copy and it looks like agony. Along the same lines, is there a page with rhythm exercises? I'm OK at sight-reading the bass clef but I'm terrible at reading note-lengths and rests and translating that to music.

Isn't that all drumming?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Pocket Billiards posted:

Isn't that all drumming?

it is

I learned to read rhythms by counting aloud:
http://www.studybass.com/lessons/rhythm/how-to-count-rhythms/

I learned with the traditional 1 - e - and a - 2 - e etc, but I think his "doom" "tek" nonsense counting looks more fun. I would like to see some online rhythm exercises too as I'm now realizing that studybass.com link is the only one I have.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Any piece of music is a rhythm exercise really.

I still revert to kindermusik solfege ta-tas and ti-ka ti-kas when its something odd. Never got out of the habit of counting triplets as 'pineapples' either.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Is there a huge difference between bass pedals and guitar pedals? Or is it just a tone thing? If you only had access to one effects pedal for your bass what would you choose?

I have a big muff pi from back when I was in high school and had disposable income, so I'm looking for something to complement that or at the very least just something that will let me play around with my sound.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
A friend loaned me a Sonic Maximizer to screw around with. Anybody have experience or thoughts on these? From the reading I've done, lots of people despise them.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Mr. Humalong posted:

Is there a huge difference between bass pedals and guitar pedals? Or is it just a tone thing? If you only had access to one effects pedal for your bass what would you choose?

I have a big muff pi from back when I was in high school and had disposable income, so I'm looking for something to complement that or at the very least just something that will let me play around with my sound.

mostly it depends on what they can take in, some pedals don't take lower notes well and you can lose low end also some efx do not effect the low notes as prominent as the higher stuff

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hello all so I am having some trouble. I recently got into playing metal (Mainly Amon Amarth, Mayhem, etc) on the bass and am having a problem.

If the song requires me to say play 45 nonstop notes on the second fret, (any string,) then play 2 notes on the 12th fret (different string), then back to the first note, I can't do it. I'm just not that fast.

Is there a trick to this or should I just practice?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Xandoom posted:

Hello all so I am having some trouble. I recently got into playing metal (Mainly Amon Amarth, Mayhem, etc) on the bass and am having a problem.

If the song requires me to say play 45 nonstop notes on the second fret, (any string,) then play 2 notes on the 12th fret (different string), then back to the first note, I can't do it. I'm just not that fast.

Honestly it's probably just a speed thing. Zipping around the fret board comes with practice. Take your time, slow down and get the movement perfect, know which finger you're going to land on which fret and be patient.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

why oh WHY posted:

Honestly it's probably just a speed thing. Zipping around the fret board comes with practice. Take your time, slow down and get the movement perfect, know which finger you're going to land on which fret and be patient.

Will do, I shall keep practicing :D Thank you!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Instead of playing 45 notes before you try the slide, just play a few and practice the move over and over (with a metronome). Get used to the distance and let the muscle memory kick in, and speed up as you get better

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Xandoom posted:

What song?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also, why the big jump? If you're using tablature, you don't always have to do things the way they write it out. If you're playing - for example - an open E and then have to go to an A on the 12 fret of the A string, you could instead go to the A on the 7th fret of the D string.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Seventh Arrow posted:

Also, why the big jump? If you're using tablature, you don't always have to do things the way they write it out. If you're playing - for example - an open E and then have to go to an A on the 12 fret of the A string, you could instead go to the A on the 7th fret of the D string.

what he said. The same note can probably be played at a lower fret on a different string, perhaps the original bassist is using a different tuning or 5/6 string bass as well

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I don't know the song but it's still possible that jump is in there. That kind of movement gives things a different sound and feel. Best thing is (as always) to check out some live videos

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I was listening to Violent And Funky yesterday and it looks like a pretty solid practice run trujillo basically turned into a four minute song. What songs do you guys heavily suspect are just exercices that got fleshed out into a whole track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7XwCsx4fs

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hey so I apologize if this is the wrong thread, but I can't find this anywhere else. Does anyone know where I can find the bass tabs to the Afterman by Coheed and Cambria? Thanks.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Xandoom posted:

Hey so I apologize if this is the wrong thread, but I can't find this anywhere else. Does anyone know where I can find the bass tabs to the Afterman by Coheed and Cambria? Thanks.

I'm not familiar with that group's songs, but found this: http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/coheed-and-cambria-the-afterman-tab-s357477t1

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Awesome, thank you! :D

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Scarf posted:

Pics of the repair:

While it's still somewhat visible, but with the finishing work he did on it, I can't really feel it too much.

That's awesome, Scarf. Glad you got your George Porter, Jr. bass back. How long did the repair take?

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

I just started playing bass with a few friends who have a experimental-prog-rock band going (kinda Sonic Youth and Radiohead sounding). My main instruments are guitar and keyboards which I'm both pretty descent at. Playing with these folks is just for fun as I really don't have time to pursue anything seriously. However, they asked me to play a show with them soon, so I figured I needed to upgrade my set-up. I had been playing through just a keyboard amp that outputs about 120 watts. To replace this, I just impulse bought an Ampeg SVT Pro 3 head with a MarkBass Traveler 102P cabinet. I played the SVT a little bit in a store, but ended up finding a really good price on eBay. I thought it sounded fine and cranked pretty loud, but I'm really not sure what I should be listening for, either. I bought the MarkBass off eBay, too, having never tried it but seeing good reviews for it elsewhere. I'm wondering if this head with this cabinet will be a descent set-up and able to thump loud enough for small-venue shows? I have no idea about matching heads and cabs, so hopefully this set-up will be all-right.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CisSTAR 19 posted:

That's awesome, Scarf. Glad you got your George Porter, Jr. bass back. How long did the repair take?

About 2 weeks... He was pretty busy with some other repairs at the time. He was working on two counterfeit Gibsons for some kid (which he said he hated to do...). We talked about how funny it was that he was now working on several "lawsuit" instruments, but weird how a reputable company like Ibanez had turned these out. In terms of days he was actually working on it, maybe 3-4 with the glueing, letting it set, touch-up/finishing work, and letting that set as well.

Shortly after getting it back I'd remembered that I'd stashed away an old set of LaBella DT Flats that I'd had on it prior to selling it... So I dug them out of my bag-o-leftover-strings and threw them back on. Great flatwound growl now...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 16, 2013

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Borderview posted:

I just started playing bass with a few friends who have a experimental-prog-rock band going (kinda Sonic Youth and Radiohead sounding). My main instruments are guitar and keyboards which I'm both pretty descent at. Playing with these folks is just for fun as I really don't have time to pursue anything seriously. However, they asked me to play a show with them soon, so I figured I needed to upgrade my set-up. I had been playing through just a keyboard amp that outputs about 120 watts. To replace this, I just impulse bought an Ampeg SVT Pro 3 head with a MarkBass Traveler 102P cabinet. I played the SVT a little bit in a store, but ended up finding a really good price on eBay. I thought it sounded fine and cranked pretty loud, but I'm really not sure what I should be listening for, either. I bought the MarkBass off eBay, too, having never tried it but seeing good reviews for it elsewhere. I'm wondering if this head with this cabinet will be a descent set-up and able to thump loud enough for small-venue shows? I have no idea about matching heads and cabs, so hopefully this set-up will be all-right.

I've read a lot of complaints about the SVT3-pro having an overrated power rating, but most people still love the tone. If the venue is a small one and your fellow musicians aren't pulling you into a volume war, that set-up should be fine.

I can't speak for Markbass cabinets paired with other heads, but the stuff I've tried out at Guitar Center always sounds nice. I'm annoyed that the Little Mark II I had broke right after the warranty expired and would have cost more to fix than to replace with a new head, but that is modern retail economics for you.

TL, DR: That should be a solid setup unless you want something very old school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The SVT-3 has a decent amount of volume, you just have to dig into the EQ to get it...