Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Umbra Dubium posted:

Ah, fair enough. I was hoping Lego hadn't slid quite that far.

Slid? Registration has been a problem with printing ever since four color was invented. Even printed bricks in the 80's had minor variations between each piece.

I guess it's reasonable to question if that if their mission to make an extra buck has made them more error tolerant, but we're going to need more than two bricks to research if it's true. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

xzzy posted:

Slid? Registration has been a problem with printing ever since four color was invented. Even printed bricks in the 80's had minor variations between each piece.

I guess it's reasonable to question if that if their mission to make an extra buck has made them more error tolerant, but we're going to need more than two bricks to research if it's true. :v:

No, I meant in hypothetically commissioning a new print run with the same mistake in it.

If both bricks are conceivably from the first run, it just means that the problem is that the people sending out replacements didn't check why they were sending out replacements, which is more understandable.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
So I decided to get my boy (almost 4) a bunch of Legos for Christmas. I decided that I didn't want to get him anything licensed as the value would be lost on him and he'd just want to make towers and airplanes and stuff, so I bought a box of 1000 pieces. I figured he also needed some little dudes so I bought 6 or so blind bags.

If anyone has any duplicate minifigs they wouldn't mind off loading for cheap (or free!) I'd appreciate an email at my username at gmail dot com.

Thanks!

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

omnibobb posted:

So I decided to get my boy (almost 4) a bunch of Legos for Christmas. I decided that I didn't want to get him anything licensed as the value would be lost on him and he'd just want to make towers and airplanes and stuff, so I bought a box of 1000 pieces. I figured he also needed some little dudes so I bought 6 or so blind bags.

If anyone has any duplicate minifigs they wouldn't mind off loading for cheap (or free!) I'd appreciate an email at my username at gmail dot com.

Thanks!

The best way I have found to get mini figs is the little poly bag sets at the checkout places like ToysRUS and Target. Usually like $4-5 a bag. I think recently at toys rus is the lawn mower, sea plane, and at target I found the fire man and his little car.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Rathina posted:

The best way I have found to get mini figs is the little poly bag sets at the checkout places like ToysRUS and Target. Usually like $4-5 a bag. I think recently at toys rus is the lawn mower, sea plane, and at target I found the fire man and his little car.

Thanks! I know having a good selection of guys will be his favorite part.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have a lego store nearby, they have pick a brick minifig setups these days. I don't think it's all that great a deal as it's $10 for three figures but it would certainly let you build as many as you desire.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
I'm afraid to say I don't quite get what's going on with today's advent calendar build. Maybe it'll make sense later?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Roots Radical posted:

I'm afraid to say I don't quite get what's going on with today's advent calendar build. Maybe it'll make sense later?

It was a bucket of X-mas torture implements!

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

jeeves posted:

It was a bucket of X-mas torture implements!

Of course. That classic tradition.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

InfinEight posted:

Sorry guys, I tried to add some, but...

Well, lets just say Commander Cold is hard to reason with when he's drinking.

:allears:

I think my New Years resolution this time around will be to actually make and submit a Cuusoo idea. Speaking of, have any of you Michigoons been to the Sommerset Lego store lately? I haven't been in a few months and last time I was there their pick-a-brick wall was largely the same as it was the previous few times I went. Steering wheels, flowers, tires, gems etc. Has it changed much? I have some pick-a-brick cups that need to be filled!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

:allears:

I think my New Years resolution this time around will be to actually make and submit a Cuusoo idea. Speaking of, have any of you Michigoons been to the Sommerset Lego store lately? I haven't been in a few months and last time I was there their pick-a-brick wall was largely the same as it was the previous few times I went. Steering wheels, flowers, tires, gems etc. Has it changed much? I have some pick-a-brick cups that need to be filled!

I think PAB walls tend to be relatively consistent between stores, since TLG generally doesn't take orders for them (IIRC). The Bellevue store's actually had some stuff that prompted me to pick up some cups the last couple trips, like 1x1 round gray tiles, 2x2 jumper plates, 1x1 round plates in a variety of trans and normal colors, olive cheese slopes, 1x1 trans blue cones, 1x2 and 2x3 purple plates, 1x2 purple tiles, 1x1 trans green round bricks, 1x2 gray 'brick' bricks...I think there was even one of the new Friends colors at one point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Amazon has a bunch of sets, such as the Back to the Future set, available for 25% off right now. Some stuff is even cheaper, like Battle for Smallville, which is about 40% off. Get'em while they're hot!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But I'm supposed to be buying presents for other people, not me. :negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Buy Legos for them too. Problem solved!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

My wife and I decided we needed a train for our christmas tree this year. This is the end result of our deliberations as to what kind:

In related news, my wife is pretty freakin awesome.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Koruthaiolos posted:

My wife and I decided we needed a train for our christmas tree this year. This is the end result of our deliberations as to what kind:

In related news, my wife is pretty freakin awesome.

I just went to price this awesomeness out to hopefully convince my wife of a similar project, and apparently the first Horizon Express I clicked on on shop.lego was the kit with all the remote controls and what not, and I couldn't figure out why it was $253.49. What a random lego price for a kit.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

The Rage posted:

I just went to price this awesomeness out to hopefully convince my wife of a similar project, and apparently the first Horizon Express I clicked on on shop.lego was the kit with all the remote controls and what not, and I couldn't figure out why it was $253.49. What a random lego price for a kit.

Yeah, we were doing the same pricing it out and as far as I can tell getting the city train instead of the kit was only slightly more expensive. I don't know for sure if it comes with the exact right parts to motorize the Horizon, but if not the city engine will just sit at the back and push the rest until we get whatever is needed. Unfortunately the guy at the lego store didn't know for sure exactly what was needed for the Horizon (he didn't even know that a minifig could sit in the driver's compartment), but we'll figure it out.

All told including the extra track pieces and tax it came out to $280. The Horizon pack on lego.com doesn't include any track so it's probably even a bit cheaper to get two trains than just the kit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Buy Legos for them too. Problem solved!

I did think of getting my wife a Friends set, I thought they'd been putting out sets with STEM jobs but all I could find was pet shops and malls.

I also considered getting her a series 1 nurse minifig but I can't quite get over paying $30 for a single character.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

xzzy posted:

I also considered getting her a series 1 nurse minifig but I can't quite get over paying $30 for a single character.

There's a female surgeon from a later series that's closer to $5 if that's close enough to her profession.

Just saw some discounted Lone Ranger and Friends sets at TJMax of all places. Got the Indian village, passed up on the train. Hoping to find a better deal on Amazon or shop.lego eventually.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm building the R2-D2 and noticed that some of the white bricks are a slightly different color of white. It's hard to photograph or describe. I guess one looks softer than the other. Is this a thing or an I crazy?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

RodShaft posted:

I'm building the R2-D2 and noticed that some of the white bricks are a slightly different color of white. It's hard to photograph or describe. I guess one looks softer than the other. Is this a thing or an I crazy?

No, I've noticed that too, sort of a milky white. They don't seems to stand out too much next to normal white ones, and it seems to be completely random, but they're definitely different.

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011

Koruthaiolos posted:

Yeah, we were doing the same pricing it out and as far as I can tell getting the city train instead of the kit was only slightly more expensive. I don't know for sure if it comes with the exact right parts to motorize the Horizon, but if not the city engine will just sit at the back and push the rest until we get whatever is needed. Unfortunately the guy at the lego store didn't know for sure exactly what was needed for the Horizon (he didn't even know that a minifig could sit in the driver's compartment), but we'll figure it out.

All told including the extra track pieces and tax it came out to $280. The Horizon pack on lego.com doesn't include any track so it's probably even a bit cheaper to get two trains than just the kit.

Getting the City train means you have everything for the horizon.

ether
May 20, 2001

Due to a pricing mishap on one of the largest online retailers here I got very lucky with these:
- 9397 (Technic Logging Truck)
- 42000 (Technic Grand Prix Racer)
- 42006 (Technic Excavator)
- 42008 (Technic Tow Truck)
- 75020 (Jabba's Sail Barge)
Combined price of 130 euro's. It was fixed within 30 minutes of ordering, but my order couldn't be recalled (although they did try)

I really can't justify receiving 6 giant sets for christmas with the kids (had already purchased the Pet Shop a few weeks ago) so that's quite the insane first world problem. Ahwell ;-)

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

FreyaXI posted:

Getting the City train means you have everything for the horizon.

Almost - the only thing missing after putting them all together is the lights for the Horizon. For all practical purposes it worked perfectly as planned. I guess if you really cared to the lights are only $7, but I don't think I'd even notice anyways.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
UK goons, If you know a fan of lego Star Wars Tesco are selling Visual dictionary+Character encyclopaedia+Han and Luke figs with medals for £7. Not a bad stocking filler.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They put out new Batman sets at the Lego store today. I only noticed because some Man-bat Attack sets were sitting on the counter, they hadn't shelved the rest of them yet and it was lunchtime. I was picking up Tower of Orthanc so I limited myself to Man-bat Attack, but I'd assume the other sets in the back of the manual came in as well.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Pyroclastic posted:

I think PAB walls tend to be relatively consistent between stores, since TLG generally doesn't take orders for them (IIRC). The Bellevue store's actually had some stuff that prompted me to pick up some cups the last couple trips, like 1x1 round gray tiles, 2x2 jumper plates, 1x1 round plates in a variety of trans and normal colors, olive cheese slopes, 1x1 trans blue cones, 1x2 and 2x3 purple plates, 1x2 purple tiles, 1x1 trans green round bricks, 1x2 gray 'brick' bricks...I think there was even one of the new Friends colors at one point.

Right on thanks! I'll give em a call and see what they say, I just needed a frame of reference to see what if anything was different since my last visit. That's definitely not what they had before, so that's good.

ether posted:

Due to a pricing mishap on one of the largest online retailers here I got very lucky with these:
- 9397 (Technic Logging Truck)
- 42000 (Technic Grand Prix Racer)
- 42006 (Technic Excavator)
- 42008 (Technic Tow Truck)
- 75020 (Jabba's Sail Barge)
Combined price of 130 euro's. It was fixed within 30 minutes of ordering, but my order couldn't be recalled (although they did try)

I really can't justify receiving 6 giant sets for christmas with the kids (had already purchased the Pet Shop a few weeks ago) so that's quite the insane first world problem. Ahwell ;-)

:staredog:

Holy hell! The Grand Prix Racer alone is $125. Oh the things I would buy if I had a discount like that!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When inspiration fails, making everything an engine is how it's supposed to work, right?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
IRL a large percentage of any spacecraft is an engine big enough to move around the fuel it needs to carry so if anyone complains just tell them it it's realistic. :colbert:

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

IRL a large percentage of any spacecraft is an engine big enough to move around the fuel it needs to carry so if anyone complains just tell them it it's realistic. :colbert:

More engine you say? Here's the mini version(all 113 pieces of it) of the Classic Space ship from the movie poster. I had wanted to build it, but it looks like my bricklink order with more blue engines has been "lost."

Rear view with extra thrusters

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Just picked up the TMNT Turtle Lair Attack for half off in the Christmas sales (Big W Australia, for those playing at home). I heard it's discounted because there's not much future for the TMNT Lego - anyone else heard anything like this? The TV series and non-Lego toys seem to be popular enough.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Just picked up the TMNT Turtle Lair Attack for half off in the Christmas sales (Big W Australia, for those playing at home). I heard it's discounted because there's not much future for the TMNT Lego - anyone else heard anything like this? The TV series and non-Lego toys seem to be popular enough.

May be some licensed themes fatigue, and that there's really not a whole lot for Lego to produce. They've got all the characters (I presume; I've only watched it occasionally when my niece is over) and major areas & vehicles produced, and while the show definitely drives action figures, it doesn't seem geared towards construction sets. Not like how Star Wars can whip up new ships and walkers every couple episodes, Marvel/DC having utter shittons of things they can make sets from, and a wealth of set pieces from Hobbit and LotR. The show seems to be largely dark alleys, sewers, and warehouses with alien bits in them.
I could see them going with constractions of the characters, but with Chima and Hero Factory already doing them, I'd guess it won't happen.

I can't really gauge how TMNT seemed to do sales-wise. It's not the flop that Lone Ranger was (sure as hell aren't going to be second waves from that unless Lego let Disney screw them in the contract), but still probably not worth keeping around. Lego's got a lot of themes running concurrently right now and need the shelf space!

As an aside, I saw something strange at Walmart today. They had an empty minifigs S10 box, but it was...tiny. It was only two rows and shorter, too; I'd guess 30 count. Anyone know what's up with those?
Edit-Looks like they started doing 30-count boxes with series 9. Never heard of them before; wonder how their minifig distribution differs since you can only get a maximum of one set out of them.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 11, 2013

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Those are the size boxes we get at Walgreens usually, and the size box I found my Mr. Gold in.

And they are 30 per box.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That canopy is so badass, I hope they sell a set with it in yellow.

I have one of the old red space police ones which is kind of similar that I really wanted to use, but the red color just doesn't work with grey.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

xzzy posted:

That canopy is so badass, I hope they sell a set with it in yellow.

I have one of the old red space police ones which is kind of similar that I really wanted to use, but the red color just doesn't work with grey.

It is a great canopy. I've got a dark grey one in one of my own creations.

On a different note, I also play EVE. I want to build this. I'm still trying to work out exact scale other than "large", but I'm also trying to figure out the best way to build the big ring structure on the back. Leading idea right now is a whole pisspot of hinges as an internal structure, possibly the new ball & sockets talked about here, and just go for "mostly almost round" but I'm looking for other suggestions.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 11, 2013

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

MaliciousOnion posted:

A second wave was hasn't been officially announced but there's a set listing floating around somewhere that came out the same time as a lot of other rumours that have since been confirmed. I'm pretty sure there are more sets in 2014 including several that are movie tie-ins.

http://brickset.com/browse/themes/?year=2014&theme=Teenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turtles

There are set numbers, which tends to mean it's pretty much confirmed.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 11, 2013

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

mynnna posted:

It is a great canopy. I've got a dark grey one in one of my own creations.

The canopy I used is actually the narrower one that is only 4 wide. It really is a good piece.

This canopy from the A-Wing also works well. I may switch over to it on the small ship I posted, but wanted to build them with bricks instead of LDD.

I just want something new for canopies in trans yellow. Almost everything that we have available are 30+ year old designs.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

ltr posted:

The canopy I used is actually the narrower one that is only 4 wide. It really is a good piece.

This canopy from the A-Wing also works well. I may switch over to it on the small ship I posted, but wanted to build them with bricks instead of LDD.

I just want something new for canopies in trans yellow. Almost everything that we have available are 30+ year old designs.

Oh sure enough. They're both good!

e: This is pretty neat and also, I think, is the (painfully obvious) answer to my previous question.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 12, 2013

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

TRU's got another batch of stuff for half-off until the 14th, and all Lego storage is BOGO40%.
Three different Lone Ranger sets (including the train), three Galaxy Squad (big big, orange mech, small bug), one technic (the tow truck), and some of the Monster Fighters are all 50% off.
I grabbed two of the big bugs and the orange mech for about $100. Then they had a Spend $100 on Lego, get $25 off deal, and a coupon from a mailing for $10 off $75. The latter said it wasn't combinable with any other deal, it still worked on the register! $180 worth of sets for $65; not a bad deal.

If anyone watches Ashens, he's got a video up today of a bunch of Lego ripoffs. Not clones, actual infringing sets that may be using original Lego molds or outright stolen parts. They stuck Chima racers in with Star Wars minifigs and Ninjago spinners with TMNT.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pyroclastic posted:

If anyone watches Ashens, he's got a video up today of a bunch of Lego ripoffs. Not clones, actual infringing sets that may be using original Lego molds or outright stolen parts. They stuck Chima racers in with Star Wars minifigs and Ninjago spinners with TMNT.

That is the most blatant of LEGO ripoffs I have ever seen, my god :stare:

Edit: Bahahaha, they even left the elemental affinities on the Ninjago ripoff cards. This is the best!

Neurion fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 12, 2013