Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

VitalSigns posted:

Got this one.

:psyduck:
Are we sure Ann Coulter isn't a stealth leftist playing a super-long-game to discredit the right? She admits that Republicans will be unable to return to the majority without the support of recent immigrants and decides the best way to deal with that is to insult the very voting bloc they need to have any chance of winning?
Poe's Law and all that. How the hell do you even tell a troll apart from the real thing at this point? And considering how many people sincerely spout talking points they got from the likes of Anne Coulter or Glenn Beck, does it even matter? You'd think no actual person would say what she says without it being a cynical and insincere cash grab, but then Freepers go and post the same kinds of stuff and then some for free. Either way, looking out for the good of the GOP doesn't seem to enter into it.

Whether Coulter is sincere or not, her rhetoric is basically LIBERAL = EVIL, CONSERVATIVE = GOOD, with no trace of nuance or self-awareness or anything. In her fictional world, anything liberals accomplish must be by underhanded means that all good people despise, and she can't conceive of (or at least won't admit that there are) actual Americans supporting the ACA because they understand it and think that it will accomplish something positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

VitalSigns posted:

That poo poo bothers me too, like the gay jokes about Michelle Bachmann's husband or Rick Perry. "I don't always support LGBT rights, but when I do I prefer to make that clear by using gay and transsexual as insults!"

It's sad seeing how many supposed liberals or progressives are just Democratic Party tribalists, really.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Guilty Spork posted:

Whether Coulter is sincere or not, her rhetoric is basically LIBERAL = EVIL, CONSERVATIVE = GOOD, with no trace of nuance or self-awareness or anything.

So, she's Andy Schlafly?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah, when this has actually happened in the past (more frequently than some people realize), the answer to the question 'what will the Army do if ordered to fire on American civilians?' has usually been 'fire on American civilians'. When you send in the military to deal with a protest or riot, historically their tactics have basically boiled down to 'shoot everyone until the remaining protestors go home'. Army Aviation even dropped bombs on black neighborhoods during the 1921 Tulsa race riots.

But of course, almost all of those historical incidents involved left-wingers, labor unions, or black urban people, so I'm sure they deserved to be shot and it doesn't really count. He's talking about real Americans, dontchaknow.
The US military once fired on US military veterans. So, uhh...about that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Ah the Bonus Army. Thanks Hoover, another part of your grand presidential legacy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

MacArthur and Patton :allears:

quote:

Joe Angelo, a decorated hero from the war who saved Patton's life, approached him the day after to sway him. Rather than accept and listen to the man whom he had decorated himself for his bravery under fire, Patton coldly rejected him and stated "I do not know this man. Take him away and under no circumstances permit him to return." This episode was said to represent the proverbial essence of the Bonus Army, each man the face of each side; Angelo the dejected loyal soldier, Patton the unmoved government instrument unconcerned with past duties.

"I do not know this man. Take him away and under no circumstances permit him to return." After this he explained to his fellow officers that Angelo had "dragged me from a shell hole under fire. I got him a decoration for it. Since the war, my mother and I have more than supported him. We have given him money. We have set him up in business several times. Can you imagine the headlines if the papers got word of our meeting here this morning. Of course, we'll take care of him anyway."

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 5, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

That poo poo bothers me too, like the gay jokes about Michelle Bachmann's husband or Rick Perry. "I don't always support LGBT rights, but when I do I prefer to make that clear by using gay and transsexual as insults!"

It's hard sometimes because, growing up, I never gave a second thought to using gay as a pejorative. Now that I'm older and understand that the way we use words have an effect on the people around us, I make a concerted effort not to do it, but it still happens. I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember (according to my buddy's memoir, since we were little kids), but I'll still say "god damnit" and "Jesus Christ" when upset.

I imagine that our grandparents experienced the same thing with desegregation.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm starting to see a lot of stuff about an Argentinian Womens' rights protest that got way out of control.

Anyone know if there's more to the story or context?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm starting to see a lot of stuff about an Argentinian Womens' rights protest that got way out of control.
Anyone know if there's more to the story or context?
Literally only two stories pop up on Google News, both from American right-wing news sources. From my limited knowledge of the Spanish language (read: I know a bit of Portuguese), I can't find anything on Argentina's Google News search.

Total bullshit. Yes, there's a video but it's totally contextless and looks like footage from multiple locations strung together.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Any Spanish speakers in here got anything to say about how prevalent poo poo like is seen in this thread is among spanish speakers?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My token liberal older cousin is posting true patriot poo poo and grandmas with guns garbage on Facebook.

I guess it's proof that Florida really is the worst.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
My former high school counselor has an anti-fast food worker post on her page. The comments are dickish has all hell:

Suburban teachers making fun of someone for wanting a living wage :(

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In my experience a good deal of teachers (at least in the Northern Virginia area) are right wing as hell since they are married to guys that are fairly well off so they don't have to live on the salary they earn by themselves and see a lot of their coworkers as lazy union types. Of course that anecdotal as hell but being an underpaid teacher isn't indicative of leftist leanings.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

What do people mean when they say "it's meant to be an entry-level job"? Like the Job Creator decided to start his business and said "I have a great idea! all of my workers will be teenagers working their first jobs!"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

mlnhd posted:

What do people mean when they say "it's meant to be an entry-level job"? Like the Job Creator decided to start his business and said "I have a great idea! all of my workers will be teenagers working their first jobs!"

It's almost as if they're out of touch with reality, and think what applied 20-30 years ago still does now!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dave Ramsey, who I generally find tolerable and even insightful at times, was talking about being poor in America the other day, and he acknlowedged that there are systemic issues, but he also feels that personal choice is a big factor. Okay, I am willing to listen. His argument was that when he was younger and poor, he was never above any kind of work and would go around offering to mow and rake leaves and that sort of thing to make ends meet. He also mentioned that he would never accept the minimum wage as pay because it's just not enough money to live on and the reason it's fair to be so low is because it's for part time high school kids. It's like if he would spend a day trying to earn money raking leaves in 2013, all the other puzzle pieces would fall into place and he would stop having some of the stupid beliefs he does.

It's not the rich out of touch people that are the most frustrating, though, it's the people who are living poor and know these ways to make money aren't viable anymore that then still vote for the guys espousing the beliefs that poor people just need to spend more time painting fences in the neighborhood until they are out of the hole.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

People like that don't understand the difference between a person and people. Sure a person can get a better job or work on the side but people cannot as there are not enough "good jobs" for everyone to go out and get one so people will end up stuck and Wal-Mart and McDonalds therefore those people deserve to make a living wage as well.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

His argument was that when he was younger and poor, he was never above any kind of work and would go around offering to mow and rake leaves and that sort of thing to make ends meet.

The working poor would definitely be people I would expect to own and operate gardening tools.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Uugh another former teacher just commented "how about getting an education!!"

this is after someone else pointed out that 400,000 college grads work fast food

modernwinglish
Dec 28, 2012

I'll squawk the world and molt with you

Radish posted:

In my experience a good deal of teachers (at least in the Northern Virginia area) are right wing as hell since they are married to guys that are fairly well off so they don't have to live on the salary they earn by themselves and see a lot of their coworkers as lazy union types. Of course that anecdotal as hell but being an underpaid teacher isn't indicative of leftist leanings.

I taught for many years in a suburban area and it was about 50/50. There was a big divide in our staff between the people who depended on our salaries to pay rent and survive and the other half who spent it at Talbots and the local medspa. It was really infuriating because you can probably guess which side was more inclined to conservative politics. In the urban school I work at now, the staff is almost all left leaning.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mlnhd posted:

I've been having this argument on Facebook. It basically boils down to "If they want better pay, they need to get the skills and go get a better job" combined with aggressively ignoring the 14% U6 unemployment rate indicating that there are not enough better jobs out there for the people who are qualified for them.

I've also been getting literal Victorian bullshit that the poor will just waste the extra money anyway. I can post screenshots if anyone is actually interested in reading awful poor-hating arguments followed by indignation when they get called out for the callousness of said arguments.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

I've been having this argument on Facebook. It basically boils down to "If they want better pay, they need to get the skills and go get a better job" combined with aggressively ignoring the 14% U6 unemployment rate indicating that there are not enough better jobs out there for the people who are qualified for them.

I've also been getting literal Victorian bullshit that the poor will just waste the extra money anyway. I can post screenshots if anyone is actually interested in reading awful poor-hating arguments followed by indignation when they get called out for the callousness of said arguments.

Absolutely, dude. Name and shame is pretty well the point of this thread.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Uugh another former teacher just commented "how about getting an education!!"

this is after someone else pointed out that 400,000 college grads work fast food

Heh. I'll bet they majored in something utterly useless like English or History and not law medicine STEM computer science like anyone with common sense would do. :smug: Humanities majors don't count as *real* educations anyway, since I totally used to bullshit my English class in high school and still got a B.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 5, 2013

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Heh. I'll bet they majored in something utterly useless like English or History and not law medicine STEM computer science like anyone with common sense would do. :smug: Serves them right.

She's an English teacher :smith:

I dunno why this bothers me so much. I guess it's because some of the kids in my graduating class are working fast food, even after getting their associates or bachelors degree, and I bet seeing those posts would really sting. Imagine realizing your guidance counselor doesn't even believe in you anymore :(

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 1, 2014

mystes
May 31, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Heh. I'll bet they majored in something utterly useless like English or History and not law medicine STEM computer science like anyone with common sense would do. :smug: Humanities majors don't count as *real* educations anyway, since I totally used to bullshit my English class in high school and still got a B.
If only everyone in the United States went to law school, we could quadruple the mean income! Nothing could go wrong with this.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PUGGERNAUT posted:

She's a theater teacher :smith:

A student tries to introduce logic and empathy:

And then my teacher's comment like three posts down:

I dunno why this bothers me so much. I guess it's because some of the kids in my graduating class are working fast food, even after getting their associates or bachelors degree, and I bet seeing those posts would really sting. Imagine realizing your guidance counselor doesn't even believe in you anymore :(

Post that as a guidance counselor she failed those kids and if she wasn't in a cushy government job and instead working for the private sector she would have already been fired.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

VitalSigns posted:

Got this one.

Are we sure Ann Coulter isn't a stealth leftist playing a super-long-game to discredit the right? She admits that Republicans will be unable to return to the majority without the support of recent immigrants and decides the best way to deal with that is to insult the very voting bloc they need to have any chance of winning?

Yes, I am sure. I knew her personally, a long time ago. She spewed the same poo poo before she became famous that she does now.

edit - she did it to piss us off, and it worked

predicto fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 5, 2013

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Ann Coulter is just another empty headed propaganda tool like Michelle Bachman, Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin, and others.

I mean, I know you know that. But its hilarious how people take her seriously despite the many signs that she should never be taken seriously.

She's not empty headed at all. She is calculatingly riding the wave of her own obnoxiousness.

Bachmann and Palin are genuine dumbshits. Cruz and Coulter are not dumb. They are shameless pandering scum working their selected audience.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

predicto posted:

Yes, I am sure. I knew her personally, a long time ago. She spewed the same poo poo before she became famous that she does now.

Any stories?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Any stories?

Nothing that would entertain. We lived right next to each other in a law school dorm. So we spent a lot of time arguing.

I seem to recall her letting it slip that she was going to use Dinesh D'Sousa to get connected into the right wing thinktank world. Poor old Dinesh thought it was love. :smith:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

predicto posted:

She's not empty headed at all. She is calculatingly riding the wave of her own obnoxiousness.

Bachmann and Palin are genuine dumbshits. Cruz and Coulter are not dumb. They are shameless pandering scum working their selected audience.
The thing I never got about those cynical pundits is that people will say "Oh, it's all just an act!" as though that were somehow an actual defense. At least if someone's saying crazy poo poo because they're crazy you can say they don't know any better. Doing it to cynically make money is awful, and doing it solely to be an rear end in a top hat is even worse. And on top of that there are people who will take it seriously and try to shape policy based on those deranged ramblings.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
On Ted Cruz's Facebook page, unedited because it's public.

This is the number three top rated comment.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pretty much. Pushing policy that you know is harmful or hateful even though you don't believe in it to make tons of money makes you a monster, not some kind of neutral person that's just doing a job.

EDIT: goddamn people are stupid as hell.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

predicto posted:

Did you miss the not-filibuster wherein Cruz compared the GOP's response to the ACA with the guy who refused to try Green Eggs and Ham as if he thought that makes the GOP look reasonable and prudent instead of like the petulant children that Seuss was representing?

A man who gets confused by children's stories is a dumbshit, and if you look at who is the governor of Texas it should be obvious that being a total idiot is no obstacle to getting elected to anything in my state.
:negative:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Any stories?

Oh, here's one thing. She took up cigarettes, not because she liked smoking, but because she viewed it as a "politically incorrect" statement.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

Did you miss the not-filibuster wherein Cruz compared the GOP's response to the ACA with the guy who refused to try Green Eggs and Ham as if he thought that makes the GOP look reasonable and prudent instead of like the petulant children that Seuss was representing?

A man who gets confused by children's stories is a dumbshit, and if you look at who is the governor of Texas it should be obvious that being a total idiot is no obstacle to getting elected to anything in my state.

Yep. Texas politics has been dominated by dumbasses for almost two decades now, ever since the last of the cunning Dixiecrats passed on (RIP Bob Bullock) and Saint Ann Richards was defeated by GWB.

The only good thing about this is that it's so easy to get elected as a Republican in Texas, any of our candidates who tries to go national gets flattened at the first hint of real opposition. (See: Rick "Oops" Perry) GWB was the exception to this rule, as he had the Bush clan national political organization and strategy behind him. Bush Senior actually helped temper the ultra-right craziness of the Texas Republican party in the 80s, and now that the Bushes and their crew are no longer involved in the state party, it's gone completely off the deep end into Cruz territory.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Don't kid yourself. He's not confused. He doesn't care if it makes sense to you or anyone else who has half a brain. He understands that bullshit like that connects with the shallow, petty assholes who make up the base of the GOP. He wants to be their king.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

predicto posted:

Oh, here's one thing. She took up cigarettes, not because she liked smoking, but because she viewed it as a "politically incorrect" statement.

I feel like she and other conservatives would have been perfectly fine buying newer LED lightbulbs, if only they weren't labeled as environmentally-friendly, and other such childish behavior.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Tequila25 posted:

On Ted Cruz's Facebook page, unedited because it's public.

This is the number three top rated comment.

650,000,000 / 315,000,000 = 2,000,000
Economics with Ray Goff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I wonder how Ray Goff feels about a mincome and/or socialism.