Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

redbackground posted:

Well, that was delightful!

I still haven't seen ASM1, and probably never will unless it's on FX some Sunday afternoon, but this, this I'll check out in the theatre.

ASM1 had a great cast and did a fantastic job introducing and establishing the character. Honestly, it was the second best comic movie to come out that year after Avengers.

And no, I didn't forget that Dark Knight Rises came out that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DFu4ever posted:

ASM1 had a great cast and did a fantastic job introducing and establishing the character. Honestly, it was the second best comic movie to come out that year after Avengers.

And no, I didn't forget that Dark Knight Rises came out that year.

You forgot Dredd

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

You forgot Dredd

Also Ghost Rider 2.

You all forgot Ghost Rider 2!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The movie is terrible, but Garfield and Emma Stone (especially Stone) are fantastic.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

redbackground posted:

One of you is lying :mad:

I really liked the film, it was my favourite comic book film that year after Dredd but it's very messy and from studio interference doesn't make 100% sense but Garfield and Stone are perfect representations of modern Peter and Gwen.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Great cast, lousy script barely salvaged in editing. Every time a plot thread disappears, take a drink.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Great cast, lousy script barely salvaged in editing. Every time a plot thread disappears, take a drink.

I wouldn't say editing saved it since it was editing that cut out a ton of scenes including a major characters death so he just disappears at the end of the film for no reason.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I wouldn't say editing saved it since it was editing that cut out a ton of scenes including a major characters death so he just disappears at the end of the film for no reason.

Which character is this?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Waterhaul posted:

I guess I'm assuming they chopped up the movie because the uncut version was worse. Haven't seen any deleted scenes or anything.

Your example argues in favor of my drinking game.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I guess I'm assuming they chopped up the movie because the uncut version was worse. Haven't seen any deleted scenes or anything.

Your example argues in favor of my drinking game.

I finally bought the movie but haven't watched the deleted scenes yet. From what I hear they expanded on what was going on with Peter's parents, and it's also where that scene from the trailer of Osborn talking to whoever went to.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bobkatt013 posted:

Which character is this?

Irrfan Khan is killed by the Lizard, they even used their confrontation as promo images leading up to the film's release, but then cut it at the last minute so he goes from being the main human villain and mouthpiece to Osborn to just running away from the Lizard and never showing back up.

There's also some various different takes on scenes and a couple of jokes like the "doorman joke" which I presume they deleted as it was too similar to a joke in Spider-Man 2.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The VFX were also offensively bad. That's my main concern with the sequel, because looks intensely VFX-based, even compared to ASM1.

The great animation in the trailer makes me feel more optimistic, though.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Blargjpbhiviyfnh, Dredd was awesome so mad it tanked. Hmmm Cersei Lannister was Ma Ma, Jaime Lannister was in the movie Mama, what does it mean??

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really disliked the idea of bringing in Peter's parents because I've never really found them to be that interesting as characters. But if the film is going in the direction that most if not all of Spider-Man's foes are mishandled utilizations of Richard's research then that would be pretty cool and really push the whole "responsibility" thing in a new direction with Parker feeling he is responsible for dealing with these guys rather than just being in opposition to them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really disliked the idea of bringing in Peter's parents because I've never really found them to be that interesting as characters. But if the film is going in the direction that most if not all of Spider-Man's foes are mishandled utilizations of Richard's research then that would be pretty cool and really push the whole "responsibility" thing in a new direction with Parker feeling he is responsible for dealing with these guys rather than just being in opposition to them.

It also partly explains why they're skipping Norman to make Harry the Goblin first because it fits with the generational battle between Parkers and Osborns.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Seeing Toomb's original flight pack there, was the moment where I suddenly could not wait to see this movie.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Jesus I can't get over Harry's hair. I don't know if it's terrible or perfect or both at the same time.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Maltose posted:

Jesus I can't get over Harry's hair. I don't know if it's terrible or perfect or both at the same time.

Dane Dehaan is already pretty sinister looking, that haircut just seals the deal.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Oh, it's definitely both. It's Terrifect!

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Yoshifan823 posted:

Dane Dehaan is already pretty sinister looking, that haircut just seals the deal.

He also appears to be playing his character from "Chronicle" again: guy with daddy issues who gets powers and goes insane. Nothing wrong with that, really, he did a good job with that character.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

He's basically evil Peter from Spider-Man 3.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DeHaan is Actual Evil Peter. Tobey in Spider-Man 3 was Naive Nerd's "Cool Guy" Impersonation Peter.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So.... Bryan Singer just tweeted this

@BryanSinger posted:

#Xmen #Apocalypse 2016!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dacap posted:

So.... Bryan Singer just tweeted this

Sheesh. These doomsayers are always pushing the date back. Year 2000, no it's 2012! Now it's 2016!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well it's apparently got an actual release date too.

quote:

Sensing it has a hit on its hands with “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” 20th Century Fox is prepping another installment in the blockbuster superhero franchise titled ”X-Men: Apocalypse” that will hit theaters on May 27, 2016, according to Exhibitor Relations.

Director Bryan Singer confirmed the sequel in a vague tweet that read “#Xmen #Apocalypse 2016!”

source

With the way every studio is trying to one up each other there's no way this isn't heading to audience burn out.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
2018/19 will have X-Men: Onslaught, Avengers: Heroes Reborn, and Zero Hour and make like, $10.75 at the box office combined.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Yoshifan823 posted:

2018/19 will have X-Men: Onslaught, Avengers: Heroes Reborn, and Zero Hour and make like, $10.75 at the box office combined.

Then Marvel will win. Cause Then Fox and Sony will stop making Super Hero Movies. Rights revert back to Marvel and we finally get the full crazy Marvel Movie Super Hero Event.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Then Marvel will win. Cause Then Fox and Sony will stop making Super Hero Movies. Rights revert back to Marvel and we finally get the full crazy Marvel Movie Super Hero Event.

Pyrrhic victory. I do think way too many movies are coming out way too fast and there's gonna be a superhero movie burnout pretty soon at this rate.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

As long as I get Guillermo del Totoro's take on JL: Dark first.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Justice League: Final Crisis will be pretty much an indecipherable mess when it comes out on the big screen.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TwoPair posted:

Pyrrhic victory. I do think way too many movies are coming out way too fast and there's gonna be a superhero movie burnout pretty soon at this rate.

I've been hearing that for about 10 years now.

It' salsa one of the ways Marvel excels; each movie is it's own thing. Iron Man is more of a buddy cop/sci fi, Thor is Fantasy/Sci Fi, Cap is adventure/spy thriller. It' same big part of why Nolan's movies were so much better than pretty much anything Warner's been able to do, he just made a crime noir where the hard boiled detective happened to dress like a bat.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dexo posted:

Fox will never stop. They made X-Men: Origins Wolverine and Generation X. Those rights are with them until the end of time.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I imagine there's a big clock in the Marvel offices, counting down the time until they get FF back. Hoping Fox just forgets to start up on that franchise.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I can not wait for Avengers the Crossing as directed by Uwe Boll or Tommy Wiseau

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Waterhaul posted:

Fox will never stop. They made X-Men: Origins Wolverine and Generation X. Those rights are with them until the end of time.

:smith: And I had forgotten about Generation X

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dexo posted:

:smith: And I had forgotten about Generation X

Why would you want to forget a show where some guy hacks into people's dreams to make them fart on time?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been on a Fringe binge for the last couple of months. I'm about a third of the way through season five.

I think if they're ever going to include the Vision in an Avengers movie, they should totally get Michael Cerveris to play him.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gatts posted:

This is a good thing. In fact, screw it, just make the next Spider-man movie set years ahead and Jeff Goldblum can play Peter Parker. And Spider-man. No CG.
IF only we had a time machine that could take mid-late 80s Goldblum to play adult Peter Parker :negative:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

I've been on a Fringe binge for the last couple of months. I'm about a third of the way through season five.

I think if they're ever going to include the Vision in an Avengers movie, they should totally get Michael Cerveris to play him.

Same here. Watching it for the first time and almost finished with season 3. I can see why some folks here want Olivia to play Captain Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Soonmot posted:

Same here. Watching it for the first time and almost finished with season 3. I can see why some folks here want Olivia to play Captain Marvel.

Ms. Marvel?

• Locked thread