Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I knew I shouldn't have hoped for the DKC trilogy to get released on the Wii U for the sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Huh, for some reason the Sega Megadrive 3D Sonic is 4,49€, compared to the other Sega Classics that are 4,99€. Not that I'm complaining...

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The DK sale was always going to be bad, but that is terrible.

They should have put Kirby on sale since that's a series with multiple good games already on the VC.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Whoa. Been holding off on buying Donkey Kong 1994 for a few weeks, anticipating buying it in this sale and it's not discounted. :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rexroom posted:

Huh, for some reason the Sega Megadrive 3D Sonic is 4,49€, compared to the other Sega Classics that are 4,99€. Not that I'm complaining...

Yeah, I noticed that just now and then immediately bought it in case it's an error and they up the price again.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Wow, Nintendo has no idea how to do a proper sale, do they?

Nope, nor do they understand the concept of putting new releases that fit in the sale description and having them at a special sale price to maybe get more people to buy them.

This is why the Zelda and Megaman sales were both rather dissapointing and why this one is just sad, no DKC games? DK3 on 3DS still full price? Come the gently caress on Nintendo.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

DKC games were pulled from the VC years agolast year.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

DKC games were pulled from the VC years agolast year.

They've never been on the "eShop". Only the Wii shop channel.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Nope, nor do they understand the concept of putting new releases that fit in the sale description and having them at a special sale price to maybe get more people to buy them.

This is why the Zelda and Megaman sales were both rather dissapointing and why this one is just sad, no DKC games? DK3 on 3DS still full price? Come the gently caress on Nintendo.

This isn't necessarily true though. What about the buy two Kirby games, get one free sale when three Kirby games were released at once? Or the Zelda Oracle games being buy one, get the other at a discount? They've definitely done things like that before.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

greatn posted:

But holy poo poo a Goemon game? That's kind of surprising.

Isn't this the second week in a row we've seen a Konami game? Maybe we'll see some Castlevania games before this is over.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Super Mario Bros 3 wasn't available during the Mario sale also.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

citizenlowell posted:

Isn't this the second week in a row we've seen a Konami game? Maybe we'll see some Castlevania games before this is over.

Super Castlevania IV is already on the eShop, if you didn't know.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Mercury Crusader posted:

Super Castlevania IV is already on the eShop, if you didn't know.

I had no idea. I've been meaning to grab the SNES Contra game, but that might have to jump the line.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This isn't necessarily true though. What about the buy two Kirby games, get one free sale when three Kirby games were released at once? Or the Zelda Oracle games being buy one, get the other at a discount? They've definitely done things like that before.

Its sad that they started off doing this, and yes I'll agree that those were legitimately good sales, but somewhere along the line they got hit on the head and stopped doing those awesome sales (My favorite in particular was the GnG/MMX one where you could get X for cheaper if you bought GnG first.) and when they decided to start doing them again they just didn't know what they did last time that worked so well and ended up having sales that reek of :effort:.

Almost sad, really. They need to fire/replace whomever is in charge of what goes up on the eShop weekly and give the job to somebody who actually seems to care.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

For each of these "character weeks", there's been at least one new game they could have added to the VC and didn't. They could have put up LttP for Zelda, SMB3 for Mario, MMX2 for Megaman, and a DKC game for Donkey Kong. It makes no sense not to have done so.

It's baffling the way they turned on the tap for VC games for a little while, then cranked it back down to a drip.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

For each of these "character weeks", there's been at least one new game they could have added to the VC and didn't. They could have put up LttP for Zelda, SMB3 for Mario, MMX2 for Megaman, and a DKC game for Donkey Kong. It makes no sense not to have done so.

It's baffling the way they turned on the tap for VC games for a little while, then cranked it back down to a drip.

Even more so compared to the Wii, where it had three games per week for a year, where the WiiU just has one or no games. You figured they would speed it up to help sales.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Supercar Gautier posted:

The 3DS doesn't have a high enough resolution for SNES games. The N64 remakes only work because they were adjusted accordingly.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm talking about Wii U releases though. The current lackluster set of promotions is on both systems.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm talking about Wii U releases though. The current lackluster set of promotions is on both systems.

I guess the Wii U VC has so few games I didn't even notice.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The 3DS doesn't have a high enough resolution for SNES games.

SNES has a "high-resolution" mode (512x224 or 512x448) but the number of games that use it is tiny (especially when you remove all the JP-only stuff) and a lot of the time it was used as a workaround to create visual effects like luminescence or transparency, so it was often displaying at 256-width anyway. As far as VC impediments go, it's a fairly minor hurdle.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

These are basically my thoughts, especially considering MMX2 is out in every other region. Its beginning to give off an unsettling Dream Land 2 vibe where it gets released in every region save for the US for no good reason then inexplicably comes out almost a year later.

Of course I probably just got my hopes up because NoA seemed to be following NoE for a while. Of course we got Brawler Brothers instead of X2 because that was such a heavily desired game. :downs:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Of course I probably just got my hopes up because NoA seemed to be following NoE for a while.

Oh they'll be following NoE alright, just not the way you want: just like it took four months for us to get Mega Man X after you guys, it'll take you four months to get Mega Man X2 after us. Look forward to it in March 2014 :unsmigghh:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The M2 interviews for 3D Altered Beast and 3D Sonic are up, check 'em out.

Some other news:

-Best Buy will be doing a 20% discount on all eShop cards, starting this Sunday and running until the 14th

-Nintendo has scheduled eShop maintenance starting on the afternoon of December 9 (click) - maybe the 3DS Miiverse/account sync update will drop then?

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The M2 interviews for 3D Altered Beast and 3D Sonic are up, check 'em out.

This kind of provides insight into why the pipe is clogged up. They mention looking at taking a year to get another remake out, and they spent days solving the critical problem of what to name Random Beast:

quote:

Rejected names for “Impulsive Transformation”

“Chef’s Selection” Transformation
“Roll the Dice” Transformation
Heart-racing Transformation
Gamble Transformation
Lottery Transformation
Shocking Transformation
Schrodinger’s Transformation
Mysterious Transformation
Adlib Transformation
Chaotic Transformation
Try your Luck Transformation
Dark Transformation
Daily Special Transformation
Miracle Transformation
Ambiguous Transformation
Dream Transformation
Fuzzy Transformation
Abnormal Transformation

(Some curve ball names)

Shuffle Beast
Zeus’ Pranks
Beast Roulette
Hentai
Sudden Mutation

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Some other news:

-Best Buy will be doing a 20% discount on all eShop cards, starting this Sunday and running until the 14th

-Nintendo has scheduled eShop maintenance starting on the afternoon of December 9 (click) - maybe the 3DS Miiverse/account sync update will drop then?

I just bought an eShop card from Best Buy online last night. Will they refund me the difference or am I screwed?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
How long does it normally take for games to make their way from the NA eShop to the PAL eShop? I just found out that Cooking Mama 4 (:colbert:) got added to the NA eShop a month or so ago, but only the demo is available over here.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mcpringles posted:

I just bought an eShop card from Best Buy online last night. Will they refund me the difference or am I screwed?

No idea, but people seem pretty happy with them price-matching other things right now, so maybe it's worth a shot.

Babby Sathanas posted:

How long does it normally take for games to make their way from the NA eShop to the PAL eShop? I just found out that Cooking Mama 4 (:colbert:) got added to the NA eShop a month or so ago, but only the demo is available over here.

No way to know, really, especially if the game has a different publisher in each region. Even Nintendo has gaps in their early catalogue.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

All I really want is Final Fantasy Legend II for the 3DS VC. That's it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You and me both!

That being said, I don't think S-E has even released them in Japan yet, so they definitely won't be out anywhere else anytime soon.

(They remade FFL2/SaGa 2 for DS a few years back, in case you didn't know. JP-only, but there's a full English translation patch, so you can play the game on real hardware using a flashcart.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Final Fantasy Adventure on 3DS VC would rule.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

You and me both!

That being said, I don't think S-E has even released them in Japan yet, so they definitely won't be out anywhere else anytime soon.

(They remade FFL2/SaGa 2 for DS a few years back, in case you didn't know. JP-only, but there's a full English translation patch, so you can play the game on real hardware using a flashcart.)

Yea, I was sad they didn't localize it. I should get off my rear end and get the patch working. I still play the original way too much, I can't explain how addicted I am to it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I bought 3D Sonic the Hedgehog. I didn't really need a millionth copy of Sonic the Hedgehog but how could I not when it was right there :negative:

It's pretty much a perfect replication of the game and the 3D is nice if subtle (expected I suppose, given the nature of it; like 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure). Still disappointed it doesn't have Tails and Knuckles playable like the mobile version but proper controls make it much more playable than that.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Does it have the spindash or no?

edit-
Yes it does.
I'm really enjoying these 3D sega classics, I was never a sega kid but I'm playing Space Harrier and Super Hang On all the time now

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 7, 2013

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

.TakaM posted:

edit-
Yes it does.
I'm really enjoying these 3D sega classics, I was never a sega kid but I'm playing Space Harrier and Super Hang On all the time now

I'm buying all of them just to support the project, but goddamn it does Altered Beast suck rear end. I didn't care for it as a kid, and I actively hate it now. Even the 3D is sub-par; easily the worst of the four games they've put out this far. Granted they had less to work with than even something like Sonic, but man, it's really a poo poo-show and not recommendable in the slightest.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's still a hell of a lot better than Urban Champion, at least.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

.TakaM posted:

edit-
Yes it does.

Yeah, I ended up grabbing Space Harrier and Super Hang On. The 3D in Space Harrier actually makes the game work for me - It's not a gimmick, it actually makes the game playable and fun (I never liked Space Harrier). The 3D in Super Hang On is useless and doesn't improve anything but it is a fun game to play, better than something like Angry Birds as a time waster. Outrun 3D would be epic. I forgot how much I miss these Sega arcade chiptune songs :3:

EDIT: Super Hang On + Gyro Control is amazing. New favourite game right now. To think it costs $2 nowadays to play this at an arcade.

petewhitley posted:

I'm buying all of them just to support the project, but goddamn it does Altered Beast suck rear end. I didn't care for it as a kid, and I actively hate it now. Even the 3D is sub-par; easily the worst of the four games they've put out this far. Granted they had less to work with than even something like Sonic, but man, it's really a poo poo-show and not recommendable in the slightest.

I want to support the project but I can't bring myself to buy Altered Beast. I even avoided it back in the early nighties when it was one of the only cheap games for the Megadrive.

Wank fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 7, 2013

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

It's still a hell of a lot better than Urban Champion, at least.

Actually I kind of prefer Urban Champion to be honest, if only because the 3D effect is pretty cool. On that single street you fight on into infinite perpetuity. They're both steaming piles of dung.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

My wife picked this up on her last trip back home and while she played it for a fair while she was constantly complaining that it was such an accurate remake as to be horribly dated systems-wise, so it's maybe worth keeping that in mind.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ookiimarukochan posted:

My wife picked this up on her last trip back home and while she played it for a fair while she was constantly complaining that it was such an accurate remake as to be horribly dated systems-wise, so it's maybe worth keeping that in mind.

They did add a lot of new little additions that make things less opaque, like a meat catalogue and an NPC that gives a basic breakdown of most of the systems, plus modern conveniences like visible encounters, party chat, save anywhere, etc. They compensated by making the bosses way harder and adding some new incomprehensible systems on top. SaGa, everyone!

The SaGa 3 remake is even more drastic, apparently. The main SaGa guy didn't work on the original game, so he decided he was gonna completely overhaul everything for the remake in order to bring it more in line with the other games. I haven't played it, but I vaguely remember something about time travel being a central battle mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
So it looks like Link to the Past is coming to the PAL Wii U VC, but it's European version. Bah.