Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think you're right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This poo poo is awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqFmdJxWmI

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Hey Dirtbike Bros. I've been making some singletrack trails on my property because the local mtb scenesters have taken over the public land and won't let me play their reindeer games.

Here's some pics because I'm bored at work and would rather be riding around in the woods.

Entrance of a trail next to the house:

Stream crossing to get from side trail to main haul road/driveway:

A lot of the trails run the tops of ridges:

Steep/loose drop off this ridge but hard to tell in pics

Looking back up

Bought a weld86 skidplate(look it up they are awesome) for my DRZ because I keep smashing it into stuff and dropping it. Awesomely rugged terrain, I need a little true dirtbike like you guys have or something...

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
1. Where do you live?
2. That looks like it has a ton of potential.
3. How many acres?

Looks like tons of fun stuff, you just making it up as you go or going to mark it and have friends come out? Going to go through with chain saw and get out face slappers and what not? About how much trail do you have cut? Probably going to try to get a good loop going at my parents this season, haven't started on it yet though.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Silver posted:

1. Where do you live?
2. That looks like it has a ton of potential.
3. How many acres?

Looks like tons of fun stuff, you just making it up as you go or going to mark it and have friends come out? Going to go through with chain saw and get out face slappers and what not? About how much trail do you have cut? Probably going to try to get a good loop going at my parents this season, haven't started on it yet though.

1. Northern NY
2. Oh yeah it does!
3. 120

I only know two guys with bikes/skills that could ride on this stuff, they've both expressed interest in coming over to help but are busy dudes. That pretty much just leaves me to my own devices. Thankfully trail building/riding are the best things to do ever. Do need to go through and do a lot of limbing for sure. With the existing truck trails and what is ride-able but not done yet it is probably a couple miles?? I am really not sure what the distance is but will try to remember to clock it. The property is so steep and rocky that there are three entrances from the road, I'd like to make loops off these and one giant loop around the whole deal.... It will take a while though I have a lot of other poo poo going on :)

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Looks awesome! I'm too far away though. Get vid next time you go out if you can. 120 acres you can probably get a pretty long loop going, 6-8 miles at least. Drop in some smaller loops, maybe do one that is nothing but gnar and call it the erzberg loop or something. Going to have to start looking at what all my parents land has again too and maybe cut some trails out there, they're on 64 acres though I'm hoping to be able to do 4-6 miles that includes a grass track.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Anna wrote about the last race of the year, and below it, the death of herboots! Check it out.
http://imaginarydirtbikeblog.blogspot.com

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Well, we'll get the highlight of it all out of the way...

1:07 min vid, over the bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLYwqJ3WEkA

The rest was just riding and various whoo's and whees and stuff. Caution, it seems I tend to cuss a lot at various intervals. Also gotta readjust my rear brake pedal, adjusted it a bit higher and I'm dragging it when sitting down so I cooked the rear brakes about midway through the ride. Cooled down quick enough though and was back at it. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxrNblreXQw

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I spent the morning playing in the dirt/mud/clay for the first time in at least 8 months...maybe since last fall? Rode for about two hours, burned 3/4 a tank of gas and am going to be sore as hell tomorrow. Trails were slicker than I expected, they got a lot more rain than I did at the house. First loop wasn't bad just a bit damp, second loop started damp and turned to a nice clay/mud mush. It's a strange feeling having the wheels slide or spin and not being able to loft the front just by thinking about it.

Trials tires did pretty well until I got to the deep clay crap which hung on pretty good. I turned around once it got to that point. I hadn't ran the GG300 on the second loop I did, it was fun picking the worst line and just going up it at walking speed. Even when it got slick I could weight the rear enough that it would keep moving and any rocks/roots on the path provided a quick boost of traction. Had one fall at under walking speed when I got cocky and tried a stupid line. Spent most of the day in 3rd and 4th gear just putting along at a fast walking speed.

So do trials bikes make ok trail bikes? Yup, the worse the trail gets the better the bike is.

Here's a picture shortly after turning to head back to the car after the clay got really bad. Did a few stream crossings multiple times to clean the thick stuff from the treads.

I need to either do the final welding on my homemade hitch carrier or have my neighbor do it because a full trailer for this goofy little thing is stupid and I'm going to try to start doing this a few times a month.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Here's a picture shortly after turning to head back to the car after the clay got really bad. Did a few stream crossings multiple times to clean the thick stuff from the treads.

Did you ride up that hill/rock face in the background?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
It's amazing how a little bit of water on a trail will make an easily passable section a nightmare for a rider with my skill level(low). I was at a local motocross track a few weeks ago riding the woods trails and I had to turn around and go the wrong way on one way trails because I just couldn't stay upright. Meanwhile teenagers are just whipping by like it's not even sloppy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Deeters posted:

Did you ride up that hill/rock face in the background?
Ha no, that is a vertical wall with a couple ledges and a nice stream flowing down it. The bike is certainly capable but I'm far from it. I do very little trials type riding despite having the bike, mostly just mess around (wheelies/stoppies/etc), jump logs and small <2' ledges.

I've considered getting something more suited to the riding I do but I just love the low weight and torque of this thing. E-start would be VERY nice though, I still struggle to start the drat thing from time to time. One downside of the Pro model is a short kick throw (if that makes sense) and you don't want to wind up and mash it or the gear will shred...anything done to save weight was.

kenny powerzzz posted:

It's amazing how a little bit of water on a trail will make an easily passable section a nightmare for a rider with my skill level(low). I was at a local motocross track a few weeks ago riding the woods trails and I had to turn around and go the wrong way on one way trails because I just couldn't stay upright. Meanwhile teenagers are just whipping by like it's not even sloppy.
One thing I had forgotten until I got to the real nasty stuff today that makes a huge difference on grip is peg weighting. If you want to increase grip on the rear tire you want your toes on the pegs and focus on pushing your heels down and back. It sounds strange but this really does help. Even with my crotch on the gas tank leaning way forward by driving my heels down I went from the back wheel spinning and sliding to hooking up and making it to the top.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 6, 2013

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

kenny powerzzz posted:

How slow are you going? New riders seem to slow down excessively out of fear when momentum and throttle control are the keys to buffing sketchy traction and mud ruts out. Mix that with body position and come home soaked.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

tehk posted:

How slow are you going? New riders seem to slow down excessively out of fear when momentum and throttle control are the keys to buffing sketchy traction and mud ruts out. Mix that with body position and come home soaked.

Maybe not fast enough I guess. The instance I was talking about was at a riding area on a ktm demo day though so the trails were in the worst shape I've seen them in. Combine that with being used to bombing them completely or at least mostly dry.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Been riding the snow! Here's a video from last years snow race for flavor. I voice over'd commentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUAeu1DWKOo

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Today was the first nice day we've had in 2 months. Ended up being mid 60's and tons of sun so when I got home from work I got out my bike and went for a ride. About 15 minutes my buddy and I decided to cross a creek to get to some fields. I promptly stalled the bike in the MIDDLE of a 2' creek. When I put my foot down, I stepped on a rock and fell over with the bike on top of me. Couldn't get the bike started after all this so had to ride on the back of my friends bike 4 miles back to the house and get the truck so we could get the bike home. And that recaps the first nice day we've had in probably 2 months.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

VTNewb posted:

Been riding the snow! Here's a video from last years snow race for flavor. I voice over'd commentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUAeu1DWKOo

That was great. Very enjoyable. What's the story on how you got you camera back?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Pretty boring story. Lost it as seen in the video, and 10 months later it showed up in the mail thanks to an internet detective at https://www.nedirtbikes.com.

Going down to southern VT to provide input to Trail Rider on their test of the 2014 300XC!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Test road:
2014 KTM 250 XC
2014 KTM 300 XC
2014 Beta 250 RR

Went to a riding day set up by the east coast KTM rep. He invited all the champions, so I was a rolling roadblock for about 5 people with red #1 plates. Enjoyed myself greatly, and got to test ride many new bikes. Not so bad to be on the invite list to KTM's private rides.

Not me, but here's the track from AA rider Kevin Novello: http://vimeo.com/85096977

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 27, 2014

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
That's bad rear end. Just saw that posted. How did you like the 250XC vs. the 250RR? Bout the same or any huge noticeable differences?

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

I love studs. I hate installing them, but I love riding them.

vtnewb I'm jealous, sounds fun. you won't get faster until you ride with fast guys. good luck with the rehab!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I appreciate the words Kony, riding kind of sucks right now. Check out my argyle knee vagina that keeps me all situated while I move around:

I also have a picture of the girlfriend railing snow ruts:

As for the comparison between the two bikes, it's a bit hard for me to tell right now. I'll have another opportunity to ride them in a month with less snow. They were set up for pro riders so they were both VERY STIFF. KTM set up the 250XC with the red PV spring and the adjuster almost all the way out, so it was a rocket ship. The beta was very smooth in comparison. I disliked the handling of the beta, as it liked to stand up in corners (very squirrely), but again, it was very very stiff for me.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Was really hoping to go to the NETRA Rd 1 Enduro, the Snow Run in Stafford, CT. Looks like they're getting a foot of snow though. My leg isn't strong enough to dabble around in a single rut for 4 hours. Bummer.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Woops! Haven't checked thread in awhile. Awesome you get to ride them again. Also understand on the demo bikes thing, very hard to get a good feel for them as they aren't really set up for you. Still fun to get to ride new stuff! Bummer on the NETRA round. :( Our racing is kicking off next weekend with a GP then first hare scramble of the year weekend after that. I have ridden and stuff but put in zero training so I'll probably be the same pace as last year. Doh. But it's about the fun so whatevs.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
A Scotts or a GPR for a steering stabilizer

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Scotts. GPR's are overpowering and Scotts has more adjustment.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So glad I didn't go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEPEwY8k3Zc

Only 13 of 93 people finished.

On the plus side, local boy and near neighbor of mine Dylan Macritchie was 51 minutes ahead of the next person when he won. God drat 16 year olds.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

nearly got it ready for the season, just got to finish up some bark buster and the grips

Taking it in the snow was a bad idea, it threw the chain. Not sure what happened, might have been some ice, or a lovely master link. Importantly nothing seems to have been broke. Going to get a chain I think.

BRP mounts are awesome

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That is really cool. So the bark buster attaches to the top of the triples? That looks ideal if that is the case.

Took the 450 XC-W out for it's first run in 4 or so months. Completely blown away all over again by how good that bike is. I was out of shape and out of practice and the bike hid my lovely riding beautifully. So much power and yet so much control over it. 1st and 2nd gear on the trails on that thing are absolutely delightful.

Most importantly, hilariously, hilariously fast.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Trying to decide if I want to put my GPR on this bike. Suspension seems pretty stable so far. Its always hard to know what a stabilizer is doing for you.

Attached numbers:

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Spiffness posted:

That is really cool. So the bark buster attaches to the top of the triples? That looks ideal if that is the case.

Took the 450 XC-W out for it's first run in 4 or so months. Completely blown away all over again by how good that bike is. I was out of shape and out of practice and the bike hid my lovely riding beautifully. So much power and yet so much control over it. 1st and 2nd gear on the trails on that thing are absolutely delightful.

Most importantly, hilariously, hilariously fast.

yeah the bark busters attach to those top BRP handle bar clamps/mounts. I hate the type that clamp to the handle bar again, they always will rotate. On my old bike I made some mounts that attached to the top fork pinch bolts, but this KTM has them on the back side, but these BRP mounts seem just as good or better.

I bought the stabilizer kit from Slavens racing, so it is a Scotts stabilizer, but with BRP mounts and they are nice. I had problems with the scotts mounts on my old bike, so I am looking forward to seeing how this setup works.

I like running a stabilizer, it seems to cut down on a lot of fatigue for me.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I love the Scotts on mine, makes the bike seem so much less nervous at 60+ MPH on fire roads and helps it track better when doing point and shoot bursts of speed down trails when they open up. Hitting a rock awkwardly while WOT is so much less jarring. I've found the effects subtle but great. Have only had it on there for 7 hours or so thus far.

Its also a big help when I throw the 17's on and take it up to top speed on road courses.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

yeah the bark busters attach to those top BRP handle bar clamps/mounts. I hate the type that clamp to the handle bar again, they always will rotate.

I've gone back and forth with barkbusters. I've had the fastway triple clamp mounts similar to yours for a couple seasons, but found that in absence of a mount to rotate the whole buster just bent. Back to basics now.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Yeah the extra stability at high speeds is nice and I like when the quick grabs from roots rocks get dampened by the stabilizer.

I know what you are saying, on my old bike I would have to take them off once in a while and re-bend them, I don't know we will see how this setup lasts with cycra probends.

I should be going to the Oklahoma offroad cup provided my team does not flake. three riders that switch off and race for nine hours. should be fun.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

That sounds really awesome. Got to get Silver on your team!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Aww yeah bought a crf450F.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Too bad your too much of a bitch to rock one for real.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Aww yeah bought a crf450F.

You're not a dirtbike bro if you're going to rip its heart out to power a midget Frankenstein bike.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

I should be going to the Oklahoma offroad cup provided my team does not flake. three riders that switch off and race for nine hours. should be fun.

Link?

I took mine out for quick shake down run around the block and either the thermostat is leaking or the hoses around the thermostat. Currently going to pull it and just go get new full length hose and eliminate thermostat for now. Glad I ran it around the block and found it out before finding it out in the middle of trails or a race. Whoo.

Alternately a guy on KTMtalk said his was leaking one time and he just had to tighten the screws on the thermostat casing and all was fine. So if that's it. Rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Silver posted:

Link?

I took mine out for quick shake down run around the block and either the thermostat is leaking or the hoses around the thermostat. Currently going to pull it and just go get new full length hose and eliminate thermostat for now. Glad I ran it around the block and found it out before finding it out in the middle of trails or a race. Whoo.

Alternately a guy on KTMtalk said his was leaking one time and he just had to tighten the screws on the thermostat casing and all was fine. So if that's it. Rad.

http://www.theoffroadcup.com/Home_Page.php