Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

KetTarma posted:

It's available on the computers at school. I cant login remotely to my desktop from home.
The goal is to be able to work on projects without having to drive 25 miles.

If that's worth $99 to you, then yes, get the student license. I don't think MatLab gives away free software, just heavy discounts.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

SeaBass posted:

If that's worth $99 to you, then yes, get the student license. I don't think MatLab gives away free software, just heavy discounts.

My university has a campus wide license for every student. Even fine arts majors can, if they want, download and install MATLab on their own computer for free if they so desire. Mathworks certainly doesn't give it away, but his tuition might already be buying a copy for him.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

My university has a campus wide license for every student. Even fine arts majors can, if they want, download and install MATLab on their own computer for free if they so desire.

I'm pretty sure this depends on how much money your school is willing to throw around. My current university has a site license for individual installations for faculty and research use but nothing for students' personal computers. Some of my classmates who had previously been at schools less well-regarded in our area but bigger endowments had an arrangement like what you're saying.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 26, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KetTarma posted:

Is there any reason to buy a copy of Matlab-Student if I can install Octave?

I tried to use octave a few years ago to save some project budget, it was fine up until I wrote a 3 line function that gave completely different results in octave and MATLAB. I only noticed because it was so wrong and couldn't get it right after fiddling with it for hours. Be careful!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Does anyone know about avionics? Chat with me about it; I can offer a forum upgrade or something of your choosing in return. Or something.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 10, 2023

DBZFIGHTERS
May 23, 2008
I am interested in taking the Fundamental Engineering exam, but I only have a science degree rather than an engineering degree.

I plan on taking it in Michigan, where you are not required to have engineering background to take the exam.

However, I am not sure where to start in my preparation. My goal is to take the exam sometime next May/June, giving myself approximately 6 months to study for it.

Should I enroll in a prep course? If so, what is a good one? I currently live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Alternatively, if 6 months of self-study is sufficient to pass the FE, which company's material would you guys recommend?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
What discipline?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

http://www.amazon.com/Review-Manual-Preparation-Fundamentals-Engineering/dp/1591263336/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1

that is all you really need. get some practice exams if you want and the equation book also could be of use.

Also why are you going to take the exam? What is your end goal? Passing in Michigan really doesn't do much for you other than allowing you to say you passed on your resume (although you get that notification from NCEES not the state). Michigan doesn't give you a EI number/card/etc.

Also note that the format and time frame for the FE just changed with it being done on a computer at a testing center now.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 5, 2013

DBZFIGHTERS
May 23, 2008

John McCain posted:

What discipline?

I am not entirely sure yet. Probably electrical engineering though.

spwrozek posted:

[url]Also why are you going to take the exam? What is your end goal? Passing in Michigan really doesn't do much for you other than allowing you to say you passed on your resume (although you get that notification from NCEES not the state). Michigan doesn't give you a EI number/card/etc.

Thanks for that link, it should be very helpful.

And passing the FE exam is just something I want to do on my own, sort of like a bucket list.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Are you moving to Michigan? Because states generally don't provide comity to non-engineering majors since you won't meet the incoming state's requirements.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Has anyone here worked for GE in the past? I might have an opportunity to move into a position there, though I would like to here from someone else that it is a cool place to work. I have a nice job now with no real potential to advance inside the company, but the experience with pretty much every Japanese automaker is really nice to have and keep going with.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Apprentice Dick posted:

Has anyone here worked for GE in the past? I might have an opportunity to move into a position there, though I would like to here from someone else that it is a cool place to work. I have a nice job now with no real potential to advance inside the company, but the experience with pretty much every Japanese automaker is really nice to have and keep going with.

I have not, but GE hires quite a few graduates from my school and hands internships pretty much out to any body. From what I've heard from them is it's pretty mundane work and I know a few people who interned who did not want to go back just because the work wasn't too exciting. This is GE Appliances, so Aviation, Rail or lightning may be different.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 10, 2023

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007

Apprentice Dick posted:

I currently work for Aviation in Cincinnati. What business and location are you looking to work for? I can only really speak to the culture in my own business.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

DBZFIGHTERS posted:

I am interested in taking the Fundamental Engineering exam, but I only have a science degree rather than an engineering degree.

Why do you actually want to take it? I took it, and what would have been more beneficial to landing a job would have been a higher GPA. Granted, I don't know your specific goals.

Also...if anyone has questions for a Mech Eng with 5 years experience, ask away or PM me or whatever. Gotta warn you that I'm pretty cynical about engineering, however.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 5, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

how do learn matlab good

:(

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

AtomicSX posted:

I currently work for Aviation in Cincinnati. What business and location are you looking to work for? I can only really speak to the culture in my own business.

It would be at the Evandale office, so your input would be very useful!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I got a job offer for a consulting company and I'm reading through the employment agreement. In addition to the standard stuff (at-will, confidential information, etc), there's this claus that kind of sticks out.

Paraphrased it says something like:

I acknowledge and agree that I will be educated and trained to perform the duties of my employment. This training will be provided at a cost to the company and should I resign or be terminated within 24 months then the company will not have obtained the benefits they intended and were entitled to, whereas this training will immensely benefit and be useful to me in my future employment with third parties (i.e., employment with clients, customers, or competitors). Therefore, I will pay a sum of $X (thousands) of dollars to the company if I resign or am terminated within 24 months and thereafter begin working for a client, customer, or competitor. This amount is the fair dollar amount for the training and education provided to me.

Is this loving normal? Because I have a lot of issue with this and I want to know if I'm in line with thinking this is outrageous and that I should run for the hills.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

KetTarma posted:

how do learn matlab good

Graphing/plotting, matrix ops, signal processing, or simulation? I used MATLAB so much in grad school that if you asked me to write an operating system I would probably have done it in MATLAB. I started with a white general purpose MATLAB book that I can't find now.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Boris Galerkin posted:

I acknowledge and agree that I will be educated and trained to perform the duties of my employment. This training will be provided at a cost to the company and should I resign or be terminated within 24 months then the company will not have obtained the benefits they intended and were entitled to, whereas this training will immensely benefit and be useful to me in my future employment with third parties (i.e., employment with clients, customers, or competitors). Therefore, I will pay a sum of $X (thousands) of dollars to the company if I resign or am terminated within 24 months and thereafter begin working for a client, customer, or competitor. This amount is the fair dollar amount for the training and education provided to me.

Is this loving normal? Because I have a lot of issue with this and I want to know if I'm in line with thinking this is outrageous and that I should run for the hills.
Seems normal to me, if they are going to spend several thousand dollars getting you trained by outside companies, they dont want you to run off prematurely.

My employer really does not have outside training so we don't have to worry about it. However we do have a clause where if they relocate you (paid) for a job and you quit before a year then you owe them the money for your re-location. I don't have that much of an issue, one year isn't that long.

Two years on the other hand is more of a commitment.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 6, 2013

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The problem I have with it is it doesn't specify outside training or school reimbursement. It basically reads like he will be trained on the job and they will want his pay back if he leaves or gets fired before 2 years. That seems pretty bad to me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
For training it says "technical education and training (including on the job training)." So it just seems like a blanket statement that I'm pretty much gonna have to front up thousands of dollars if I quit or am fired.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Both parties are taking a risk. But you have much more to lose if you have to pay for your training costs. I would negotiate to get it lowered to 1 year if you're really stoked on the job.

Or maybe get them to do a 6-month review and at that point you sign off on that specific clause?

The "on the job training" is vague. Are they talking about some employee explaining how to run a machine, or is it more akin to bringing in an outside consultant who teaches you and a few others about something?

Sounds pretty dumb, regardless.

There is no harm in running some scenarios by your hiring manager, such that you can quit theorizing about what exactly will happen to you. Just be very stern about it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
And yeah, that's a pretty normal sounding retention incentive to coax people into staying. I signed a 3-year retention agreement in exchange for my employer paying off my student loans. Worst case, if I didn't stay, I'd have to pay them back myself, which I would have had to anyhow. In your case it's a little different- find out how much money they're talking, and you can factor that in on what you do down the road; may be worth it to pay back $10k in <whatever> if you bail on them for a way better job.

DBZFIGHTERS posted:

I plan on taking it in Michigan, where you are not required to have engineering background to take the exam.

However, I am not sure where to start in my preparation. My goal is to take the exam sometime next May/June, giving myself approximately 6 months to study for it.

Should I enroll in a prep course? If so, what is a good one? I currently live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Alternatively, if 6 months of self-study is sufficient to pass the FE, which company's material would you guys recommend?
6 months of self-study should be more than enough; the FE is a challenging exam just from the breadth involved, but it's not really THAT hard of an exam, and the pass rate is pretty good for people who prepare for it.

You might want to consider taking the general test, since you're going to have to study for the general AM session anyhow- taking the electrical portion will mean having to study additional subjects, too.

The best study guide IMHO are NCEES practice exams, as they're the most realistic. Most of the practice problems from the other companies are much more difficult than you'll see on the real test. Use the NCEES practice exams sparingly, though, as they're the only real tool you'll have to gauge whether you're ready or not.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 6, 2013

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Boris Galerkin posted:

For training it says "technical education and training (including on the job training)." So it just seems like a blanket statement that I'm pretty much gonna have to front up thousands of dollars if I quit or am fired.

That sounds pretty hosed and I would not take a job that had that.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KetTarma posted:

how do learn matlab good

Take a simpler problem and try using matrices instead of for loops wherever possible. Just keep doing that.
Also learn how to use the plotting tools, especially surf, contour, contourf. If you have vectors there are a billion things you can do to visualize it. The default MATLAB plot settings are pretty bad, so understanding how to change things through the script is pretty vital.

I remember my intro to Matlab course had us doing everything in symbolic math, and I thought Matlab was some kind of demon for a long time. It took me a while to realize that it wasn't the main way people used it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I was supposed to take a course on MatLab with half a semester of C++. I am a transfer student so naturally I got credit for that course since I had already taken C++. Luckily my professor hasnt made us do anything super complicated but I'm still struggling with just basic graphing and plots.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If you have anything specific just throw it out there! I dunno if there is a better thread for Matlab questions, and I'm no Matlab guru but I've certainly written more Matlab programs than anything else.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Senor P. posted:

However we do have a clause where if they relocate you (paid) for a job and you quit before a year then you owe them the money for your re-location. I don't have that much of an issue, one year isn't that long.

Two years on the other hand is more of a commitment.

There's a claus for paying back relocation as well but that one I fully understand.

spwrozek posted:

The problem I have with it is it doesn't specify outside training or school reimbursement. It basically reads like he will be trained on the job and they will want his pay back if he leaves or gets fired before 2 years. That seems pretty bad to me.

French Canadian posted:

Both parties are taking a risk. But you have much more to lose if you have to pay for your training costs. I would negotiate to get it lowered to 1 year if you're really stoked on the job.

There is no harm in running some scenarios by your hiring manager, such that you can quit theorizing about what exactly will happen to you. Just be very stern about it.

I paraphrased the agreement because I'm paranoid so for that same reason I don't want to post any numbers, but the amount it says I'd need to forfeit is roughly 8% of my starting year's salary; it's a fixed number. 8% of $50k is $4k, just fyi.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

KetTarma posted:

I was supposed to take a course on MatLab with half a semester of C++. I am a transfer student so naturally I got credit for that course since I had already taken C++. Luckily my professor hasnt made us do anything super complicated but I'm still struggling with just basic graphing and plots.

Once you get your basic graph open you can use the plotting tools to modify it, then you can learn the code to modify plots later.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

code:

EDU>> t = 0:0.01:1;
EDU>> v_c = exp(-6.66*t)*(2*cos(182*t)+0.073*sin(182*t))-6;
Error using  * 
Inner matrix dimensions must agree.

What am I doing wrong? Im trying to graph the capacitor voltage vs time for an underdamped RLC circuit that's described by that equation.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Oil! posted:

"Other" is just a repeat of the morning part of the exam.

I took the PE Petroleum exam today and it didn't seem so bad. There were about 650 people taking all of the various PE and SE exams, with about 27 million books between us. I am kicking myself for forgetting to bring a certain textbook that would have helped me on 3-4 of the questions (I brought books that are more widely used and not full of text and calculation mistakes). I was able to finish the morning session about 30 minutes early and the afternoon almost 2 hours early because they had a lot less calculation questions. I don't know how they choose the questions for each session, but the difference was really strange and will probably be looked into in the after review.

I would recommend if taking either the FE or PE in Houston, bring your own lunch and keep it in a cooler in the car. They say it is against the rules for Reliant Park, but the "on site concessions" are kind of weak and not able to support the rush of everyone going for a 1 hour lunch break.

I just got the results back today. I passed and am now a Professional Engineer, but have no idea what to do with my licence.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

KetTarma posted:

What am I doing wrong? Im trying to graph the capacitor voltage vs time for an underdamped RLC circuit that's described by that equation.

It's been a while since I've used MATLAB but I think your second line is trying to do a matrix multiplication between two vectors. Use the .* operator for element-wise multiplication.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

KetTarma posted:

code:

Error using  * 

I'm a little rusty but i'm guessing you need to use ".*" instead of "*" which tells matlab to do array vs matrix operations.

edit: well poo poo I guess I'll just congratulate the PE dude.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

KetTarma posted:

code:

Error using  * 

You are multiplying matrices with *, and exp(-6.66*t) is 1x100 and your second operand is 1x100 it is complaining because this operation is undefined (remember, matrix multiplication is NxM * MxO = an NxO dimensioned matrix. The inner dimensions must be the same, which is what MATLAB is complaining about). You really need to review your basic operators. For this one, use .* instead of * to do elementwise multiplication of your vectors.

The white book I referenced was Mastering MATLAB but lol I definitely didn't pay $99 for it at the student store. My version was for MATLAB 7 but its best feature is just showing you the plot tools and how everything affects plots. Fantastic book if you can find it for cheap.

I'm kind of :stare: that some of you guys actually get courses in MATLAB, not from a curriculum critique but because drat we just got thrown to the wolves by professors on homework assignments where first you had to figure out WTF you were doing in the software, then solve the homework. I'm really jealous.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

This is my first assignment where the professor has stated "You are being graded on matlab" so I really havent used it much.

I think what you said makes sense. Thanks. Im going to work on that problem in the morning since there are some more simple ones I can knock out in case I run out of time. It's about maximizing points for me right now since its closing in on midnight and I have a 8am class.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

KetTarma posted:

how do learn matlab good

Get used to running scripts instead of straight into the console, naming conventions, not overwriting constants (eg. pi). Solving problems with tedious solutions is also a good way to practise. I did a lot of checking my math with MATLAB during my high level circuit analysis courses.

Hed posted:

I'm kind of :stare: that some of you guys actually get courses in MATLAB, not from a curriculum critique but because drat we just got thrown to the wolves by professors on homework assignments where first you had to figure out WTF you were doing in the software, then solve the homework. I'm really jealous.

Every discipline at my school had a MATLAB/Excel course except for Electrical, Computer and Software. However, all the profs expected everyone to know MATLAB. It wasn't too bad if you were in a group (I was always the MATLAB person after I switched from Mech to Electrical) but sometimes you'd have to make your own scripts and I got so sick of telling people to use the elementwise operators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Oil! posted:

I just got the results back today. I passed and am now a Professional Engineer, but have no idea what to do with my licence.

Congratulations!