Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Bourbon posted:

They should though. Did you push in the Tone button to enable them?

That worked, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sorry to double post but I needed to bump the thread

So I got the Lepai LP-2020A+ and some Dayton speakers and they're great. No problems there. However I also have a USB headset, and I hate switching the default audio device in Windows to switch between the two. I got Virtual Audio Cable to repeat the audio to both devices, but it lags. Is there a sound card or something that I can buy to make Windows push audio to two devices at once without lag? All I want is to turn off my speakers and turn on my headset or vice versa and not have to switch it in the loving control panel. I'm willing to throw some money at this.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This guy seems to have had the same issue and found a way to fix it with auto hotkey. http://i.downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/06/16/windows-7-tip-how-to-change-the-default-audio-device-with-a-hot/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Alternatively I'd say the cheap hardware solution would be a headphone splitter and just send audio to both things at all times, although I don't know if that would affect the sound adversely (I assume it does cause it's ultimately halving the signal, but I don't know if it's noticeable).

Or get something like Behringer's ~$25 USB adapter which has line and headphone out...although thinking about it now I forget if both are active at the same time, or if the headphone disables the line out like most computers.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

powderific posted:

This guy seems to have had the same issue and found a way to fix it with auto hotkey. http://i.downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/06/16/windows-7-tip-how-to-change-the-default-audio-device-with-a-hot/

Thanks! This will have to do for now.

japtor posted:

Alternatively I'd say the cheap hardware solution would be a headphone splitter and just send audio to both things at all times, although I don't know if that would affect the sound adversely (I assume it does cause it's ultimately halving the signal, but I don't know if it's noticeable).

Or get something like Behringer's ~$25 USB adapter which has line and headphone out...although thinking about it now I forget if both are active at the same time, or if the headphone disables the line out like most computers.

This is actually what I was going to do, but I'm dealing with a USB headset. Unfortunately it looks like the only way I'd be able to do this right now is to invest in a new headset that doesn't use USB. I like being wireless and a wireless headset that doesn't use USB looks like it's around 200-300 bucks, which wouldn't be sooo bad if I didn't already have this one.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
About to buy a set of A2 audioengine speakers. Just wondering if the stands (Audioengine DS1 Desktop Stand Pair) matter at all for sound quality? I'm placing it on a glass table with my monitor if that helps.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Mang Tomas posted:

About to buy a set of A2 audioengine speakers. Just wondering if the stands (Audioengine DS1 Desktop Stand Pair) matter at all for sound quality? I'm placing it on a glass table with my monitor if that helps.

I'm also using a glass table and I have my A2s on top of a stack of books. You'll want to raise them off the surface for sure, but $29 is too much goddamn money for the stands imo.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Tacier posted:

I'm also using a glass table and I have my A2s on top of a stack of books. You'll want to raise them off the surface for sure, but $29 is too much goddamn money for the stands imo.

use 2 dollar black rubber doorstops. same exact thing. or a stack of business cards to lift the front edge upward. or don't, it'll just be a little boomier reflecting off the table surface, no biggie.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 21, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've used stacks of books myself too. May as well start there. The difference is pretty noticeable to my ears so it shouldn't be hard to decide whether it's annoying enough to bother messing with it.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

use 2 dollar black rubber doorstops. same exact thing. or a stack of business cards to lift the front edge upward. or don't, it'll just be a little boomier reflecting off the table surface, no biggie.

Hadn't thought of this. Thanks.

friendly gentleman
Jul 8, 2007

UH, THIS ISNT YOUR DOG IS IT
Dumb question, but hopefully easy. I have a set of Logitech Z5300 speakers:

I have them hooked up to my desktop but want to be able to sometimes juggle them to my work laptop when I work from home. The volume controler has a 3.5mm audio connector - if I get a male to male 3.5mm audio wire and connect it from the volume controller to my laptop's headphone in - will that work?

God I feel dumb.

e: I should mention that I (obviously) don't want to get down on my hands and knees and switch the front/rear/middle audio out wires to my laptop from my desktop.

friendly gentleman fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 22, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Depends entirely if that's an in/out connector on there...and I assume you mean to hook it up to the headphone out on your laptop. From some quick searching it looks like the port on the controller is meant to be a headphone output, so no that won't work barring some hidden functionality on that thing.

Do you leave your desktop on all the time? If so a workaround would be laptop output to desktop input, passthrough to desktop output to speakers.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Mang Tomas posted:

Confirming that you *need* some kind of stands to lift the fronts. I made my own out of some blocks of wood, then I put little rubber sticky feet on the bottom of the stands.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
Has anyone had a chance to listen to the Paradigm SHIFT A2s?

I stopped in a store today to listen to the AE A5+s and also listened to the A2s. I couldn't believe it, but I felt like the A2s had much better detail and low-end tightness than the A5s. Does anyone have experience with them?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't have any experience with their self powered offerings, but I know Paradigm's Atoms get recommended a lot as good small bookshelf units. Looks like they're sealed? Maybe you just like that sound better. Here's a review that compares them directly to the A5's: http://www.techhive.com/article/2029831/review-paradigm-shift-a2-speakers-offer-flexible-inputs-perky-sound.html

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any suggestions for combinations of hardware preferably at or below $200-$300ish that don't take up too much space? The A2's seem really nice, but I'd kind of like a subwoofer in addition to speakers for the nicer bass. I'm not running an audio card in the case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shukaro posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for combinations of hardware preferably at or below $200-$300ish that don't take up too much space? The A2's seem really nice, but I'd kind of like a subwoofer in addition to speakers for the nicer bass. I'm not running an audio card in the case.

Option 1- connect a <$100 self-powered sub to a pair of A2s.

Option 2- connect a <$100 self-powered sub to a pair of separates running out of a receiver or small amp.

Option 1's gonna run you pretty close to $300. Option 2 can run you anywhere from ~$50 to $300 depending on what gear you want/how you get it. How for/against are you for going used/vintage?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Option 1- connect a <$100 self-powered sub to a pair of A2s.

Option 2- connect a <$100 self-powered sub to a pair of separates running out of a receiver or small amp.

Option 1's gonna run you pretty close to $300. Option 2 can run you anywhere from ~$50 to $300 depending on what gear you want/how you get it. How for/against are you for going used/vintage?

Honestly it depends what quality the used bits are, I don't really want to fiddle with resoldering for the most part. (Also I don't have the tools out here so I'd have to buy them)

What are some good subs/amps/speakers I should take a look at? Are the Dayton speakers mentioned earlier decent and/or should I be setting my eye on something else?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am currently using these Klipsch iFI speakers: http://www.klipsch.com/ifi-ipod-speaker-system/details
Guy gave them to me when the sub burned out. I've seen a few comments here and there that these are somewhat sought after? Is there any truth to that?
If there is, I was thinking of cleaning them up real nice to sell, and then picking up a new speaker system with that.
I have some hearing loss, so I would like to get a set that isn't so much loud, but has good clarity.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Right having just fairly melted my brain trying to figure this stuff out, i thought i'd come to people who seem to know a fair bit more than me.

Basically my old sound system is on the blink, the speakers keep hiccuping and, well, tis time to replace.

What i'm in the market for is a 5.1 sound system as i pretty much use my pc for anything and everything. I'd also like it to be wireless as tracking those all over the floor leads to tripping and general issues. Though just having the back two speakers wireless would work fine and i think that's an option?

Price range.. hmm.. upper limit of about £150?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Blinks77 posted:

What i'm in the market for is a 5.1 sound system as i pretty much use my pc for anything and everything. I'd also like it to be wireless as tracking those all over the floor leads to tripping and general issues. Though just having the back two speakers wireless would work fine and i think that's an option?

Price range.. hmm.. upper limit of about £150?

That's going to be loving impossible unless you either have a bunch of usable components (speakers/receiver/etc.) already or cut some major corners.

There are lots of products out there that would let you make your surrounds wireless, but you're looking at blowing at least 60% of your budget on one and you'd still need to power the speakers somehow.

What you want is totally doable, but it's kind of a pipe dream on your budget.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

japtor posted:

Might as well mention this, I got the Pyle version of that Lepai a little while back, the PFA200:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PFA200-60-Watt-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0071HZ5EQ

The only thing missing from these is a dedicated headphone jack. Is there a version with a jack that anyone has used and can recommend?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Sasquatch! posted:

The only thing missing from these is a dedicated headphone jack. Is there a version with a jack that anyone has used and can recommend?

Are you looking for the form factor or cheap price? You could take a look at this Topping t-amp:

http://www.parts-express.com/topping-tp21-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-with-headphone-25-wpc--310-310

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Any good deals out there today that anyone can recommend?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't see much. These Edifiers are supposed to be very good for the money if you can get them placed away from the wall a bit: http://www.amazon.com/Edifier-Exclaim-Bi-Amped-Speaker-e10/dp/B009XGH2HG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385835373&sr=8-1&keywords=edifier it's only 10% off though.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Anyone have any suggestions for desk (not floor) speaker stands (or something that can act as a stand)? I have a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2 studio monitors, and I need to raise them about 8 to 10 inches to make them ear-level. Floor speaker stands are not an option as one of them is next to a wall and there's no space to put one. The speakers aren't terribly large (roughly 8" x 8" footprint), and obviously I can just use some books or boxes, but I'd prefer something that looks somewhat classy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Iso acoustics makes some smaller stands for desktops. I don't know that I'd call them classy though.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

powderific posted:

Iso acoustics makes some smaller stands for desktops. I don't know that I'd call them classy though.

I looked at the ISO-L8R155, but they don't look all that attractive and also cost $100, which is rather more than I care to spend. I guess part of that is because of their adjustability, but I really don't need that.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

friendly gentleman posted:

Dumb question, but hopefully easy. I have a set of Logitech Z5300 speakers:

I have them hooked up to my desktop but want to be able to sometimes juggle them to my work laptop when I work from home. The volume controler has a 3.5mm audio connector - if I get a male to male 3.5mm audio wire and connect it from the volume controller to my laptop's headphone in - will that work?

God I feel dumb.

e: I should mention that I (obviously) don't want to get down on my hands and knees and switch the front/rear/middle audio out wires to my laptop from my desktop.

What I did in your scenario is run an audio cable from the line in on my PC to near where I would dock my laptop. Anytime I wanted my laptop to play through my speakers, I would hook the line into the headphone port on my laptop. For this to work, you need to make sure you have playback enabled on that line-in port, but it should work flawlessly assuming you have the requisite ports. I also use this method to watch videos on my ipad while I game on my laptop with headphones when I need to be quiet/portable.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Well, I couldn't find any speaker stands that would fit and which I actually like the looks of, and I really don't have the skills/tools to make some out of wood myself, so for the time being I'm just tilting them upwards my head using some self-made stands... out of LEGO.

LEGO is awesome.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GokieKS posted:

LEGO is awesome.

Cheap, sturdy and endlessly reconfigurable.

Bonus point if you used a randomly-colored patchwork of bricks.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Haha, no, I'm too OCD to be able to stand a completely random assortment of colors. They are, however, mostly a bright shade of green, because that's what my local LEGO Store had the last time I went there for a PAB cup.

tngffl
May 6, 2008
Researching a new set of speakers as my Klipsch 2.1 just stopped working. What are the thoughts on A2, A2+ A5 and MV40?

I am trying to figure out the best bang for the buck between those.....

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Depends on what you want out of them. I have the A2's and love them. The only reason to get the A2+ over the A2 is if you want to connect it to your computer with USB because your normal output is super lovely or something. The A5's have more bass and will get louder in general. I'm assuming you mean M-Audio AV40's? I'd rather have anything from AudioEngine; they feel and look much nicer to me. Haven't listened to them enough to compare sound quality.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have a set of A2's as well, and they're great. Obviously, they're quite small and won't fill your living room with high-volume sound like a set of big speakers will and I'd never use them for super bass-heavy stuff.

But having said that, the sound quality is really really good. The level of bass they do put out is astounding for how small they are, they go surprisingly deep before they have to give up. They lend a solid and well-controlled foundation to any piece of rockin' music I've played on them so far.

Use them as PC speakers and they'll go plenty loud that close to your ears.

I have a set of very good ~$1800 full-size floorstanding speakers in my living room, and I've been giving some serious thought to replacing them with a set of A5's and an A8 subwoofer, based on how impressed I am with the A2's.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 5, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Heh I came to the thread to post about the A2+ cause I just noticed they finally came out. And yeah it's basically the USB input/DAC, plus dedicated output (for a sub or whatever else) vs taking over one of the inputs. Acoustically theres this in the FAQ:

quote:

Is the bass response any different in the A2+ vs. the original A2?
In the new A2+ we've included a linear limiter which will manage the bass at the point where bass distortion starts to occur. Being a linear limiter, it will not chop the signal, but instead retains the shape of the waveform, simply not allowing it to go into distortion. So if you listen to the A2+ at higher levels you'll notice the bass response is tamed and not as boomy. The limiter will have no effect at normal listening levels.
It hasn't been an issue for me w/the A2s since I don't really blast them, but might be something to consider if you listen at louder volumes regularly. There's also the refurb section to consider, $160 for refurbed A2s vs $250 for new A2+.

...or P4 for $200 there if you don't mind hooking up an amp. Size wise (and supposedly sound wise) they're closer to the A5 than A2. I wanted/needed small speakers so I went with the A2, like above I think they're fine for close by PC speakers. If you're the type to blast your music or to fill a larger space you might want to move up to one of the bigger ones (in which case there's also the whole world of other passive bookshelf speakers if you don't mind a separate amp).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was honestly surprised at how little bass the A5s produced. thankfully I had a spare sub laying around to hook up to fill that in.

Compared to my friends behringer monitors, at least, there is a lot less bass.

Maybe I have them too close to the wall though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Laserface posted:

I was honestly surprised at how little bass the A5s produced. thankfully I had a spare sub laying around to hook up to fill that in.

Compared to my friends behringer monitors, at least, there is a lot less bass.

Maybe I have them too close to the wall though.

Having them close to the wall should boost the bass, unless they're flush against the wall, blocking the bass reflex port.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They are angled at 45 degrees inwards from the corners of my desk on the official stands. The closest point of each speaker to the wall is about half an inch.

I don't know how much bass they are supposed to really have? My buddy has behringer monitors and they aren't very fantastic by monitor standards but have incredibly rich sound even at low volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Half an inch is awfully close for rear ported speakers. Behringer makes some really good monitors for the price, honestly, do you know which model they are? It could be that they're just going deeper than the A5's. For quantity of bass, it's not going to be like a subwoofer, but I don't know many people who don't come away surprised by how much bass they have for a small speaker. If your friend's Behringer monitors are in a similar size I'd expect the A5's to be at least on par. Your friend may also have better placement.

edit: although, speakers typically get boomy-er from being close to the walls.

powderific fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 6, 2013