Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I beat Rage. The ending was really underwhelming. I was hoping for a big-rear end final boss, but no such thing happened.

The Authority Mutants were directly confirmed by talking to Elizabeth, but hearsay from both her and some citizens in Subway Town ("he swears it was sixty feet tall") made me think I was going to get some sort of other unknown threat, hopefully a giant robot or whatever. Instead I just got a Half-Life "press button, stand your ground until you can move on" sequence.

The Authority Pulse Cannon is a great ultimate weapon, though, and while I wish the final part of the game were longer and more challenging, everything leading up to the ending was awesome.

I'm sort of annoyed that the difficulty levels don't change anything except weapon accuracy and crafting requirements. I was hoping that I'd get more enemies or that they'd do more damage or something like that. The lower weapon accuracy doesn't really make me want to try anything beyond Hard, which I already beat, because having a shotgun that's ineffective beyond 5 meters is just boring and dumb, not challenging.

Despite all that, I'm pretty happy I grabbed it for $6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

I beat Rage. The ending was really underwhelming. I was hoping for a big-rear end final boss, but no such thing happened.

This was my exact reaction when I beat it last week. So glad I never ever used the pulse gun and saved all that ammo!!!

I was kind of impressed at the whole setting when you finally get to subway town, but mostly I was sad cause I had this feeling that they could've built the best Fallout game ever on top of this.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Moxie Omen posted:

This was my exact reaction when I beat it last week. So glad I never ever used the pulse gun and saved all that ammo!!!

Haha I did the same with FEAR a long time ago. Pretty much taught me to give no fucks about ammo use, which is a bad habit in certain Doom maps.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

horse mans posted:

Is there a way to get GZDoom to stop recording a demo when the player dies?

EDIT: Actually, what I want is for recordings to split at any level intersection, so player death, advancing to the next level, or any other triggers like that.

Can't be done (at least not yet anyway). This would require demos to begin recording after the game session is already running, which at the moment doesn't exist.
You can, however, record a demo from a saved game. Start (G)ZDoom with the -record command as you usually do, and add -loadgame <filename.zds> to record from said save. You still need to load the same save to playback the demo, however.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Speaking of Rage and newer FPS games, I'm glad body armour is starting to pop back up again in games like Shadow Warrior and Far Cry. With regenerating health become prevalent it disappeared from FPS games nearly entirely which kinda sucked. There's just something pretty satisfying about having a full health and armour bar going into a fight. Half-life's HEV is probably the most effective armour in a game, although SiN and Kingpin having 3 seperate pieces for legs, chest and head was really cool. It's also because it was a neat thing to find in secrets (which again also seem to be coming back, which is cool too)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Farcry 2 and 3 having partial health regen is cool in my opinion, you still need medkits but can survive with that last portion of health as long as you're careful. I agree on body armor coming back to its old former glory. Makes exploration rewarding instead of just being a "find this collectible for an useless achievement".

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
If you want an extra challenge in Rage try playing through the wasteland legend co-op levels on your own.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

RAGE felt half-finished, as if they made half of the game, ran out of time/budget and said "gently caress it, slap a half-assed ending in and call it a day, the players won't give a gently caress." That being said, I enjoyed RAGE, but I don't think it was $60 good.

Between RAGE, Diablo III, and Mass Effect 3, you'd think I would learn to stop preordering games. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Based on the Rage dev that was posting in the thread here on SA it sounds like they very much knew people wouldn't like the ending (and last half of the game really) but didn't have the time or resources to do anything about it. :saddowns:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guillermus posted:

Farcry 2 and 3 having partial health regen is cool in my opinion, you still need medkits but can survive with that last portion of health as long as you're careful. I agree on body armor coming back to its old former glory. Makes exploration rewarding instead of just being a "find this collectible for an useless achievement".

Thing is they kinda ruined it in 3 because you can still heal yourself with q even if you don't have any med kits, it just heals for less. (Except there's upgrades that make it so you heal as much without a kit as you used to with a kit)

Speaking of Farcry 3 and going back to FPS roots, I really love that Blood Dragon didn't have a stupid stamina bar. Okay, I get it, running makes you tired, but you're a freaking soldier and you're being shot at, you're not going to stop to catch your breath, you're running for your life. Get in better shape, fatty.

Freedom of movement is pretty huge in games. If you're making something like ARMA, then by all means be restrictive and slow and realistic. But otherwise, gently caress it! Give me a jetpack and a wingsuit and let me run at 30fps like in quake.

Yodzilla posted:

Based on the Rage dev that was posting in the thread here on SA it sounds like they very much knew people wouldn't like the ending (and last half of the game really) but didn't have the time or resources to do anything about it. :saddowns:

This feels like the rule more often than the exception these days. I think game makers figure you gotta hook em in the beginning of the game, but by the end its too late to return the game and they've already gotten paid, so... yeah. Sorry. Maybe I'm being too jaded, but it seems like it happens constantly now. (Along with the 'beta-as-a-release' shenanigans)

Or the other problem is that EVERYTHING wants to be a whole series now, so nothing just ends with a proper satisfying ending anymore, its always gotta set up some bullshit DLC or expansion or sequel.

:rant:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 5, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

This feels like the rule more often than the exception these days. I think game makers figure you gotta hook em in the beginning of the game, but by the end its too late to return the game and they've already gotten paid, so... yeah. Sorry. Maybe I'm being too jaded, but it seems like it happens constantly now. (Along with the 'beta-as-a-release' shenanigans)

There's that, but there's also two other factors:
1. Most often, game resources (including levels) are made more or less linearly with how they'll be played, which means that the endgame happens late in development when the publisher is starting to yell at you to finish faster.
2. The majority of players stop playing partway through and never reach the endgame, so the only one who'll notice are the hardcore gamers that finish every game they play.

The better the content, the closer to the beginning it needs to be.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Rocket Pan posted:

Can't be done (at least not yet anyway). This would require demos to begin recording after the game session is already running, which at the moment doesn't exist.
You can, however, record a demo from a saved game. Start (G)ZDoom with the -record command as you usually do, and add -loadgame <filename.zds> to record from said save. You still need to load the same save to playback the demo, however.

Oh I know, what I want is for each attempt I make at an individual level, success or failure, to be recorded in a separate lmp.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Zaphod42 posted:

Or the other problem is that EVERYTHING wants to be a whole series now, so nothing just ends with a proper satisfying ending anymore, its always gotta set up some bullshit DLC or expansion or sequel.

:rant:

Theres nothing wrong with leaving stuff that hints at a bigger world, or that the story has other sides to it, there are right ways of doing this and doing it well is satisfying. I'd like to think Dishonoured still has loads and loads of potential in what it's shown us, the other continent, the other cities, hell Dunwall itself still has potential.

On the other hand, doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2diJm7U55U&t=100s

Is the wrong way of doing a content hook. (Halo 2's Ending) So i agree, everything has to be a franchise now, but at least bloody do it right. "TUNE IN NEXT WEEK FOR THE THRILLING CONCLUSION!" is the kind of thing only "TV" shows should be allowed to get away with.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Going way out of FPS territory, Mass Effect 1's ending is probably one of the best endings that is A) open to immediate sequels and B) still satisfying. The main enemy is still out there, but the day has still been well and truly saved. I didn't like how both HL episodes ended on cliff-hangers, although I can't think of many FPS games with absolutely terrible un-endings apart from Jericho's.

Game franchises are pretty terrible when they start crossing over to books and comics* - I remember picking up all 3 gears games and still having no real clue what the hell was happening apart from things kept getting worse despite me winning at the end of each game. And also the main character and a side character were apparently in a long term relationship, which there was sign of at all in the games themselves.

*exception being the Doom comic, which if nothing else needs to be preserved beyond the end of our species for it's magnificence.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 5, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hank Morgan posted:

If you want an extra challenge in Rage try playing through the wasteland legend co-op levels on your own.

You can do that? :aaa: I wanted more but I never thought to try that (odd, since I played The Darkness 2 co-op levels single player, though you can't play all of them).

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

horse mans posted:

Oh I know, what I want is for each attempt I make at an individual level, success or failure, to be recorded in a separate lmp.

That would still require recording a new demo. Every time you split the demo, the demo after the split point becomes a new demo, but there is no way to handle that. Demo's are built entirely from player control data (same as netgames), so starting new demos like that would desync badly.
I have tried a setup where you could start a demo from the console, and it would save a game then being recording from there. It didn't work out, but I certainly haven't written it off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jblade posted:

I can't think of many FPS games with absolutely terrible un-endings apart from Jericho's.

Halo 2 (skip to 1:40, and yes, the credits roll right after that)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
FPS game have had pretty shite endings for the most part. For every Bioshock Infinite, Half-Life 1, or CoD: Modern Warfare 3, there's a ton of Doom 2 or Quake 1-caliber endings that are just overglorified "YOU WIN" screens you'd see in NES and old arcade games. Good endings are the exception, not the norm. That may be changing, but it'll take a while.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
You know, come to think of it, Half-Life didn't really have a great ending, either. It was very much the G-Man appearing out of thin air, putting a finger up to the player's lips, and going "shhhhhh, but later..." I mean, there was a certain satisfaction to getting a better explanation than "And all was saved that day" but still.

I am also wracked with bitterness at the completely lame "boss fight" with two ordinary enemies in HL2, to the abrupt ending for HL2, and to the entire half-baked concept of "episodes" in HL2. Without knowing much about it, I really feel like there was so much more going on behind the scenes at Valve (TF2?) and ambitious plans got couched for blue-balls after blue-balls.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jblade posted:

I didn't like how both HL episodes ended on cliff-hangers, although I can't think of many FPS games with absolutely terrible un-endings apart from Jericho's.

At least Jericho had the grace to end after a final boss fight, capping off what felt like a logical escalation to one. Rage had a nondescript 'defend this objective' challenge followed by nothingness.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Speaking of Clive Barker how are the Jericho and Undying games?

I mean I played Undying a bit and I've seen the weird ghost dude and that one painting that fucks up if you scry on it. What the hell IS that or do I find out later? Also read the post linked in the beginning of the thread. Is the place an Indian burial ground or is Skull Storm just some emergency spell?

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 6, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

xanthan posted:

I mean I played Undying a bit and I've seen the weird ghost dude and that one painting that fucks up if you scry on it. What the hell IS that or do I find out later? Also read the post linked in the beginning of the thread. Is the place an Indian burial ground or is Skull Storm just some emergency spell?

Skull Storm can be used when you want, it's an offensive spell. Invoke is the one that either raises dead enemies back to life to fight for you or puts skellingtons out of commission for good after you 'kill' them the first time.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Skull Storm can be used when you want, it's an offensive spell. Invoke is the one that either raises dead enemies back to life to fight for you or puts skellingtons out of commission for good after you 'kill' them the first time.

No no, I got that stuff. It just seems kind of weird that you can shoot infinite skulls at people.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jericho is a cheesy B-movie in videogame form. Pretty cool black-metal aesthetics, so-bad-its-good dialogue and very bullet spongey enemies. Thankfully you also get a minigun and explosive pistol rounds with effectively unlimited ammo. It's also part of this cheap bundle.

Personally, I think it's pretty underrated. Not great, but it's a gory, pretty creative popcorn shooter. Kinda fits in the same bracket as Binary Domain, although it's very much an early-gen 360/PC cross-platform deal.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 6, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

xanthan posted:

Jericho... isn't very good. I mean, it's playable, I intend to finish it up at some point, but the obvious idea was a squad-based tactical shooter, but the levels are pretty much straight lines, which makes all the "tactics" completely pointless. Enemies are 1) way over used, and 2) massive bullet sponges. I'm not certain if I'm using them wrong or what, but most of the abilities seems really finicky and a general pain to use, so I mostly use Ross who has explosive packets, not that I get much of a chance to use them. It has a nice look though.

Undying is much better, though I'm not finished with it yet either.

Edit: ^^ Yeah, pretty much.

Edit 2: gently caress, for a dollar, go ahead.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 6, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

As far as I could tell, Undying was a big giant turd where you fight the same boring enemies over and over. I only made it a couple of hours, but it's not like FPS games are known for getting better deeper in.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

closeted republican posted:

FPS game have had pretty shite endings for the most part. For every Bioshock Infinite, Half-Life 1, or CoD: Modern Warfare 3, there's a ton of Doom 2 or Quake 1-caliber endings that are just overglorified "YOU WIN" screens you'd see in NES and old arcade games. Good endings are the exception, not the norm. That may be changing, but it'll take a while.

"And once again the day is saved, thanks to... THE PLAYER CHARACTER!" is a better ending than the Halo 2 or Half-Life 2 Episode 2's. Even HL1's felt like a point at which this story was over, even if there was an eyehook sticking out for the next game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Sometimes, a (broken English) congratulations screen is all you really need from a story with a plot summed up as "you are a good guy, beat all the bad guys." That whole "it's the journey, not the destination" thing. I don't think Quake's ending would be better if it was that dumb wall of text that apparently happens at the end of Minecraft or whatever.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've mentioned this before, but Half Life's final boss can go straight to that very special, very hot hell.

Awful, terrible design in every single way. Fights are brutal or stupidly easy depending on the completely random attacks he throws your way, there's hardly any positive feedback that you're actually doing damage, the bulk of the fight is based on that bizarre "jump on pads that may or may not kill you when you land"...

It's textbook bad game design. Xen gets crapped on pretty regularly, but most of it is a decent change of pace. But that boss... blech.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

All the ending I ever need.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Undying is a criminally-underrated masterpiece. The weapons feel great and are unique, the enemies are sufficiently terrifying and challenging, the levels (minus the "ST-OCK" and "JAHMMED" doors) are well-designed, especially the "void" or whatever. For a long time I considered it one of the scariest games around, on par with System Shock 2. The twin system of weapon and spells worked really well and allowed for some fun combinations. I really really love the game and consider it one of the greatest FPS ever and think more people should play it.

$6 yo http://www.gog.com/game/clive_barkers_undying

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

xanthan posted:

No no, I got that stuff. It just seems kind of weird that you can shoot infinite skulls at people.

Shooting infinite screaming skulls at people should be a more common feature in any and all games. Dating sim? Skull Storm. Point and click? Skull Storm. Edutainment? Definitely Skull Storm.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

For a long time I considered it one of the scariest games around, on par with System Shock 2

It's good that you stopped doing it, because that's one of the all-time dumbest video game sentiments I've ever seen. Mechanically, aesthetically... that makes no sense. The 'scare factor' in Undying is a joke and it's not tied into the actual workings of the game in any meaningful way.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 6, 2013

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Wow, turns out I completely underestimated the NPC marines Brutal Doom adds. These dudes are fast, accurate, teleport to you when they can't figure out pathing, and are pretty decent at finding their way around. Plus, it's so kickass to have a fellow badass back you up. I've had two of 'em mop the floor with a Hell Baron :stare:

I know that SergeantMarkIV or whatever the guy's name is might be somewhat of a weirdo and at least a bit racist, but drat does he know how to make a fun mod.

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 6, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Top Gym Pumper posted:

All the ending I ever need.

I'm convinced that the entirety of The Conduit 2 was a joke that they knew nobody was going to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmMzfphZNE

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I can't think of the name of this ZDoom megawad. It's one of those big fancy hub-based objective-based wads. The first level starts with you on the garbage deck of an alien spaceship and there's conveyor belts that will kick you out into space if you're not careful. It's hard as poo poo and I don't think I ever made it very far. I don't remember if it was a complete wad or if it was just the first hub.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I'm convinced that the entirety of The Conduit 2 was a joke that they knew nobody was going to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmMzfphZNE

Was that Washinton and Lincoln? What the gently caress WAS that? I agree with the guy who I assume is the protagonist, what in the gently caress. Does it make sense in context?

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can't think of the name of this ZDoom megawad. It's one of those big fancy hub-based objective-based wads. The first level starts with you on the garbage deck of an alien spaceship and there's conveyor belts that will kick you out into space if you're not careful. It's hard as poo poo and I don't think I ever made it very far. I don't remember if it was a complete wad or if it was just the first hub.

Daedalus? That's probably the only wad close to that description I can think of.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That's it yeah. It sounded cool but the levels and hubs are so big and sprawling that you just get lost and don't know where to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

xanthan posted:

Was that Washinton and Lincoln? What the gently caress WAS that? I agree with the guy who I assume is the protagonist, what in the gently caress. Does it make sense in context?

I didn't play it but the consensus is no, not at all.