Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
He also threatened someone with some time in the cubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Trump posted:

It might be cheaper, but you wouldn't be able to tell.

You'd absolutely be able to tell.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Turra posted:

He also threatened someone with some time in the cubes.

Almost Human is the story of the man that Dredd was eventually cloned from.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Wade Wilson posted:

Almost Human is the story of the man that Dredd was eventually cloned from.

Holy poo poo. Karl Urban is future Max Von Sydow, I can totally see it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well, the episode was based off of Die Hard, but I could see some Dredd in it too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

Well, the episode was based off of Die Hard, but I could see some Dredd in it too.

Yea not quite the same because Dredd was more like The Raid where he's going in to enemy territory and gets trapped. This was more Die Hard because terrorists came in and took hostages.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Yea not quite the same because Dredd was more like The Raid where he's going in to enemy territory and gets trapped. This was more Die Hard because terrorists came in and took hostages.

Actually I believe that The Raid plot was a complete ripoff from Dredd, it just came out first!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Actually I believe that The Raid plot was a complete ripoff from Dredd, it just came out first!

I believe it's been pretty thoroughly confirmed that it was a complete coincidence.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

I believe it's been pretty thoroughly confirmed that it was a complete coincidence.

Dredd was shooting before The Raid went into production. Neither crew had any idea the other was being made at the time.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Basebf555 posted:

It's also like Under Siege and a dozen other TV action movies (setting it all in one building is a great way to save money). Although Dredd doesn't rip off The Raid specifically, its basic plot is rather by-the-numbers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheJoker138 posted:

Dredd was shooting before The Raid went into production. Neither crew had any idea the other was being made at the time.

Gareth Roberts said in interview at the time that someone brought him the Dredd script while he was shooting The Raid.

Any road up: who wants to buy the sequel to Dredd? Dredd: Underbelly, the comic sequel written for the Judge Dredd Megazine, is being published as a collected one-shot in January. Orders close on Monday, so if you want it, get to your local comic shop and ask them to order you a copy using the Diamond order code NOV131215.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Nvm

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 7, 2013

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just watched this for the first time and I've got to say I was tremendously impressed. One of the best action movies in years, with a lot of interesting symbolism.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Man I can't believe this thread is still poppin.

Did anyone else find Lena Headey's Mama to be a tragic figure? I mean yeah she ruled the skyscraper with an iron fist but as a prostitute was she not a victim perpetuating the only thing she was taught? Brutality was the only way to power and in a world like the one she was thrust into it was the only option she had. Hell she told her minions not to gangrape Dredd's partner so it wasn't like she was particularly sadistic

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Did anyone else find Lena Headey's Mama to be a tragic figure? I mean yeah she ruled the skyscraper with an iron fist but as a prostitute was she not a victim perpetuating the only thing she was taught? Brutality was the only way to power and in a world like the one she was thrust into it was the only option she had. Hell she told her minions not to gangrape Dredd's partner so it wasn't like she was particularly sadistic

Depends what you mean by 'sadistic'. She bit off a guy's junk because he scarred her face, and she seemed to enjoy torturing her geeky whipping-boy. When it comes to business decisions she seemed pretty detached though. She had the guys at the start skinned because it sent the right kind of message, and she explicitly says the reason for not raping Anderson is because it would bring down too much heat from the Justice Department. Had it served her purposes better to torture her to death she would undoubtedly have done it.

BrotherAdso posted:

It wasn't universally awesome, though. The movie had some serious issues in the way it treated technology (it strains belief that the judges don't have better radios than that, for example, or that they use wrist communicators even when they live in a world of voice-controlled smartguns and self-healing spray).

It strains belief that radios don't work in a building totally covered with thick metal shutters? Unless you ignore the laws of physics entirely that is always going to be a problem with radios no matter how advanced they get.

jabby fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 24, 2014

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

jabby posted:

Depends what you mean by 'sadistic'. She bit off a guy's junk because he scarred her face, and she seemed to enjoy torturing her geeky whipping-boy. When it comes to business decisions she seemed pretty detached though. She had the guys at the start skinned because it sent the right kind of message, and she explicitly says the reason for not raping Anderson is because it would bring down too much heat from the Justice Department. Had it served her purposes better to torture her to death she would undoubtedly have done it.

It strains belief that radios don't work in a building totally covered with thick metal shutters? Unless you ignore the laws of physics entirely that is always going to be a problem with radios no matter how advanced they get.

The shutters are also designed specifically for nuclear attack, so radiation of all types is going to be a high factor in what they want to keep out.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Alan Smithee posted:

All I know is that she was a hooker working for an especially vicious pimp. Whilst that is tough, I can't feel any sympathy for her because she went on to become a pretty monstrous person. Maybe, in that part of Mega-City One, you have to be vicious to gain power (especially if you're in organized crime), but you don't need to be vicious to survive.

jabby posted:

These megablocks were built to withstand nuclear war, so they are radiation-shielded.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Baron Bifford posted:

All I know is that she was a hooker working for an especially vicious pimp. Whilst that is tough, I can't feel any sympathy for her because she went on to become a pretty monstrous person. Maybe, in that part of Mega-City One, you have to be vicious to gain power (especially if you're in organized crime), but you don't need to be vicious to survive.

Also she killed a few hundred by-standards with that gatling gun.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:siren::siren: SEQUEL NEWS :siren::siren:

http://whatculture.com/tv/destination-star-trek-frankfurt-press-conference-report-2.php

quote:

Karl Urban came on last and one of the first questions asked was if there is any chance of a Dredd sequel. In what should be music to fans ears, he said "conversations’’ are taking place between the studio, the director and writer Alex Garland. He commented that the cinema release of Dredd was badly handled but the film had found its audience on DVD and it has been noticed by the studio.

It feels like, inch by inch, SOMETHING is gonna happen theatrically.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love how Urban is really into it too. Some actors just cut their losses and move on but he seems genuinely enthusiastic about the franchise.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

jabby posted:

She does clearly enjoy torturing/emasculating men; had I gone through what she did and found myself in a position to do so, I probably would too. Been a while since I've seen the movie, but I think Mama was looking out for Anderson in that scene. She also knew that any expression of sentimentality would only weaken her status, so she fabricated a more pragmatic motive.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this is one of the few movies that's come out recently that i would really welcome a sequel to. the fact that karl urban seems enthusiastic about it is encouraging

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Beyond sane knolls posted:

She does clearly enjoy torturing/emasculating men; had I gone through what she did and found myself in a position to do so, I probably would too. Been a while since I've seen the movie, but I think Mama was looking out for Anderson in that scene. She also knew that any expression of sentimentality would only weaken her status, so she fabricated a more pragmatic motive.

Eh, I don't really see it. As far as I remember all her lieutenants/minions are guys and she treats them fine (apart from the techy guy, and he is more a prisoner than anything). And she mowed down men and women alike in hunting the Judges. Her motive for not torturing Anderson didn't really seem fabricated.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of feel like the lesson she learned from a young age was that human life had absolutely no value aside from what someone else could do for her. Those who were useful to her had value. Those who were not were nothing.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

http://whatculture.com/tv/destination-star-trek-frankfurt-press-conference-report-2.php

I really hope we do get a sequel. Wasn't the original plan for the second movie to explore the origins of the Judge system (so maybe we'd meet President Booth) and the 3rd movie would be about the Dark Judges?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

GORDON posted:

I kind of feel like the lesson she learned from a young age was that human life had absolutely no value aside from what someone else could do for her. Those who were useful to her had value. Those who were not were nothing.
Anderson grew up in a slum too and drew a different lesson.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

Anderson grew up in a slum too and drew a different lesson.

Yes, but she was born with special abilities that give her a huge advantage. You could say that MaMa was born with the capacity for ruthlessness, and that allowed her to survive.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Eh, I have a feeling we'll reignite this same tiresome debate again. Why not go back over the past 50 or so pages for an exhaustive debate on the morality of everyone's actions? I personally could do this all day, but other goons will start shooting themselves in the head if I do so.

Vintersorg posted:

Dredd made about $17 million in domestic DVD and Blu-ray sales - that's more than it did at the box office.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Spalec posted:

I really hope we do get a sequel. Wasn't the original plan for the second movie to explore the origins of the Judge system (so maybe we'd meet President Booth) and the 3rd movie would be about the Dark Judges?

After reading the recent IDW recolourings of classic Dredd stories, I could see the apocalypse war working as a final story. Basically it's easily divided into three acts and leaves a good point to end the trilogy, but open-ended enough to continue onward. Act I is the citizens of Mega City One succumbing to block mania, making them hyper violent and hyper loyal to their local. Plenty of ultra-violence and over-whelming forces ahoy. Act II is the introduction of East Meg One(the Russians) into the throng, taking advantage of the block wars [spoilers]that they induced [/spoilers] to overtake the judges. Act III, Dredd and a cluster of Judge resistance hijack one of the East-Meg transports, nuke East Meg One out of existance, and force the stranded East-Meg soldiers to stand by as Dredd dispenses justice on the self-imposed East-Meg ruler of Mega City One. Aftermath left seemingly half of MC1 destroyed, many civilians dead, and all but one chief justice dead. It's an epic conclusion with the right amount of nihilistic, wanton destruction, with enough action to show Dredd's badassery. Plus, it's a lot more believable in the world built in the first film than a Judge of pure death.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Christmas Miracle posted:

this is one of the few movies that's come out recently that i would really welcome a sequel to. the fact that karl urban seems enthusiastic about it is encouraging

He knows he killed it, box office sales be damned. I'd be bummed to see any other chin in that helmet.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It's an epic conclusion with the right amount of nihilistic, wanton destruction, with enough action to show Dredd's badassery. Plus, it's a lot more believable in the world built in the first film than a Judge of pure death.

It might be ending on kind of a downer to show Dredd wiping out a billion innocent men women and children with no remorse. It would be a dramatic storyline but I don't think it would be a very satisfying character arc for him.

I think the original idea was to have the second film be about the democracy protesters, and to have Dredd start off brutally breaking up peaceful demonstrations and end up with him questioning the morality of the judge system. Then when everyone is comfortable with the setting Judge Death arrives in the third film.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

After reading the recent IDW recolourings of classic Dredd stories
What does IDW mean? Where can I find them? I have the case files, are they in there?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

These guys: http://www.idwpublishing.com/

They are doing a lot of cool stuff (minus the MLP bullshit - but might as well milk the pedos) and rebooted Dredd recently.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Alan Smithee posted:

Every time I see a big group of responses, I immediately think there's been a sequel announced.

Stop toying with me, Dredd goons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

What does IDW mean? Where can I find them? I have the case files, are they in there?

IDW are Ideas Design Workshop, an independent comics publisher. They're releasing new Dredd stories in their own licensed continuity, so not in the Case Files. They started OK but are suffering badly from diminishing returns - I'd stick to the real thing.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Vintersorg posted:

These guys: http://www.idwpublishing.com/

They are doing a lot of cool stuff (minus the MLP bullshit - but might as well milk the pedos) and rebooted Dredd recently.

I've never read a comic book (like Superman, Marvel, etc.) in my whole life and now I'm stuck reading these things for the foreseeable future. Thanks, Dredd Thread

Jedit posted:

IDW are Ideas Design Workshop, an independent comics publisher. They're releasing new Dredd stories in their own licensed continuity, so not in the Case Files. They started OK but are suffering badly from diminishing returns - I'd stick to the real thing.

What is the real thing? Is there a place one should start?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

What is the real thing? Is there a place one should start?

"The real thing" is the stories published in 2000AD (1977-) and the Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), which are collected in part in a variety of volumes and in full in the Complete Case Files, which are up to volume 7 in the US and volume 22 in the UK. There's a Dredd thread over in BSS (prop. Yours Truly) that has some info on where to start, but if you've seen the movie and hence are vaguely familiar with the context you could do worse than Case Files 5 and Judge Dredd: America. The former is a good jumping on point and has two of the best early action stories; the latter introduces you to the more politically aware side of the world and shows just how smart and deep the strip can be.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Jedit posted:

"The real thing" is the stories published in 2000AD (1977-) and the Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), which are collected in part in a variety of volumes and in full in the Complete Case Files, which are up to volume 7 in the US and volume 22 in the UK. There's a Dredd thread over in BSS (prop. Yours Truly) that has some info on where to start, but if you've seen the movie and hence are vaguely familiar with the context you could do worse than Case Files 5 and Judge Dredd: America. The former is a good jumping on point and has two of the best early action stories; the latter introduces you to the more politically aware side of the world and shows just how smart and deep the strip can be.

Awesome, thanks!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This may be the only time I ever say that I wouldn't mind a MLP crossover with something I like.

I'd like to see adults being weird creepy MLP fans outlawed in MC1 and Dredd cube each one he comes across.

Actually, no, nevermind. I'd rather not. Keep MLP out of anything I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Mega-City One tolerates harmless weirdoes. They're in fact part of the scenery.

• Locked thread