Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I appreciate all the help you guys provided me in this thread. I finally managed to relay the info to the genius bar working on my iMac about the dc-to-dc cable. I hope this speeds things up and that they refund me the cost of the MLB they replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah. This laptop (13-inch MBPr) is pretty great.

I use Gmail, though, and Apple Mail seems like not the best option for Gmail. It puts Promotions in my Inbox, for instance. What do you guys do about mail?

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
I installed Office 2011, and let Outlook handle it. Never really gave it a second thought (since I have a TechNet account and licenses wasting away).

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I use Gmail, though, and Apple Mail seems like not the best option for Gmail. It puts Promotions in my Inbox, for instance. What do you guys do about mail?

After trying them all my favorite client is mail.google.com

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I want notifications, though. :)

Any way to get notifications without a client?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

1997 posted:

I'm confused. New mini logic boards come with the airport flex cable. The only thing re-used is the card itself.

Maybe earlier models of Mini didn't? All I know is what the genius said, since I obviously wasn't there during the replacements myself. It was randomly kernel panicking and also VERY frequently dropping connections with the bluetooth keyboard & trackpad. I insisted the two were probably related so (IIRC) the tech agreed to swap out the wifi/bluetooth card. Didn't work, returned to the store and they tried the RAM... then the third time the logic board (or maybe it was in the opposite order, it's been years). There were also a couple times in between there where I brought it in and they "couldn't reproduce the issue" and so just gave it back to me after doing nothing for a couple days. After the final hardware replacement they threw in the towel and told me it must be software related ("Everything in this computer is new!") and they weren't going to do anything about it. That was when I mentioned California's lemon law and the store manager came out and told me I needed to leave the store and call Apple's legal department, lol. When I finally discovered the easily-reproducible wifi issue they agreed to take it in and try again, at which point the tech claimed it turned out to be the cable. For all I know he might have never replaced the drat card originally.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Choadmaster posted:

Maybe earlier models of Mini didn't? All I know is what the genius said, since I obviously wasn't there during the replacements myself. It was randomly kernel panicking and also VERY frequently dropping connections with the bluetooth keyboard & trackpad. I insisted the two were probably related so (IIRC) the tech agreed to swap out the wifi/bluetooth card. Didn't work, returned to the store and they tried the RAM... then the third time the logic board (or maybe it was in the opposite order, it's been years). There were also a couple times in between there where I brought it in and they "couldn't reproduce the issue" and so just gave it back to me after doing nothing for a couple days. After the final hardware replacement they threw in the towel and told me it must be software related ("Everything in this computer is new!") and they weren't going to do anything about it. That was when I mentioned California's lemon law and the store manager came out and told me I needed to leave the store and call Apple's legal department, lol. When I finally discovered the easily-reproducible wifi issue they agreed to take it in and try again, at which point the tech claimed it turned out to be the cable. For all I know he might have never replaced the drat card originally.

Oh yeah, I am thinking of the re-designed minis. The older minis were definitely different. I haven't had to work on one of those in months.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I want notifications, though. :)

Any way to get notifications without a client?

Yeah I can't remember the name off the top of my head (I can update later when I'm home if you need) but there are a few in the mac app store.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

1997 posted:

Oh yeah, I am thinking of the re-designed minis. The older minis were definitely different. I haven't had to work on one of those in months.

Minis after 2010: just twist this plastic disk and hey presto, access to the RAM and hard drive!

Minis before 2010: take two sharp putty knives, plunge them into the sides of your mini, gently ease the guts out from under the case without slicing your fingers open, work around a dozen ribbons and cables that you can damage by just giving them a dirty look

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

And that is exactly why I have never gotten around to upgrading the dinky 5400rpm drive in my 2007 mini.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like Airmail, you should try Airmail.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Can anyone recommend a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable on Amazon? I was going to get this one but I wouldn't receive it until after Christmas and I'd like to have it sooner without paying $30 for shipping. My dad gave me one a generic 10 ft. long cable but it only worked once or twice.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Mail Pilot is also kind of cool.

e: the OS X version at least, i haven't tried the iOS one.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 6, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

FCKGW posted:

Does Airmail support the new Gmail subsections (personal/updates/promotions/forums/social)?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

keevo posted:

Can anyone recommend a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable on Amazon? I was going to get this one but I wouldn't receive it until after Christmas and I'd like to have it sooner without paying $30 for shipping. My dad gave me one a generic 10 ft. long cable but it only worked once or twice.

Monoprice's work fine and ship domestically. They list on Amazon but it usually ends up slightly cheaper to order from their site directly.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
Can someone help me out please.

I have a late 2013 Haswell rMBP 13 inch. I just installed bootcamp on it and loaded Windows 8.1. (I installed Windows 8.0 enterprise using the bootcamp USB install and then used official Windows 8.1 Pro media to install 8.1 pro from within 8.0 enterprise)

Here is my issue: I installed the bootcamp software once windows 8.1 finished installing. It seems to all work, my hotkeys work, graphics, etc. However I can't adjust my brightness. When I press on the brightness F1-F2 keys, the little window pops up, and it synchronizes with the right side charms menu brightness slider, however the brightness doesn't change. It just remains very bright. I can set it down to no bars, or max bars, but the brightness stays the same.

I tried uninstalling the PnP monitor in device properties, I turned off adaptive backlight in power advanced preferences, I unchecked all power saving features under Display properties for the Intel Iris card. Nothing seems to work.

What the heck is going on?!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is Windows 8.1 even officially supported by Boot Camp?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I couldn't even install it on my new rMBP 15" w/ 750m. Had to go with Windows 7.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apple probably sees the lovely reception of Win8, the fact that Win7 still does all of the Windows things people need, and therefore isn't in a hurry to add support.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

eddiewalker posted:

Monoprice's work fine and ship domestically. They list on Amazon but it usually ends up slightly cheaper to order from their site directly.

I'm bundling it with some other things I have to buy. I'll probably just go with that one unless someone has another recommendation. Thanks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

fleshweasel posted:

Apple sees Win8.1, and therefore isn't in a hurry to add support.

fixed

I keep thinking an 8 / 256 rMBP 13-inch is in the cards for me, but I can't get past that 'Iris 5100' inside.

After suffering for years in the GMA 950 / X3100 wilderness with MacBooks and Minis, it's hard for me to believe Intel makes even semi-decent GPUs.

Eh, maybe I'll just have to suck it up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bhphoto has that one for $1400 right now. I'm tempted to pick it up too. And they usually sell Applecare at a big discount if purchased together.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Mu Zeta posted:

Bhphoto has that one for $1400 right now. I'm tempted to pick it up too. And they usually sell Applecare at a big discount if purchased together.

With Apple Stores price matching now, I wonder if they match B&H. Might be worth asking, though B&H has the advantage of no sales tax also (for most of us).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Binary Badger posted:

I keep thinking an 8 / 256 rMBP 13-inch is in the cards for me, but I can't get past that 'Iris 5100' inside.

Yeah, I'd love the 13" too, but that 5100 has me wondering about performance compared to the 15".

If someone could point me to any gaming benchmarks comparing the Iris 5100 vs the 750M, I'd really appreciate it. I can't seem to find any.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Yeah, I'd love the 13" too, but that 5100 has me wondering about performance compared to the 15".

If someone could point me to any gaming benchmarks comparing the Iris 5100 vs the 750M, I'd really appreciate it. I can't seem to find any.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

just tick the box beside the 750m and the 5100, and hit restrict. In general it seems whatever the 750M can play on high, the 5100 can play on low.

eames
May 9, 2009

Animal posted:

I couldn't even install it on my new rMBP 15" w/ 750m. Had to go with Windows 7.

It is possible but it is a huge pain. Not to mention Windows 8.1 is a hilarious mess in my eyes, but the last time I was forced to work with Windows was XP.

Basically you need to install it via the Bootcamp assistant as usual, but it’ll end the installation with an error message.
Now you need to create a Windows USB recovery disk using either VMware Fusion from the BC partition or any other existing Win 8.1 installation. Boot from the EFI recovery disk, open the command line window and then follow this procedure: http://superuser.com/a/504360

But to be honest, I’d just stick with Windows 7 if I were you. I deleted my BC partition because it’s just so terrible in many ways (no trackpad gestures, only runs on the 750m so battery life is terrible and the machine runs hot while it is idling, HiDPI mode is inconsistent, Chrome has no HiDPI assets yet, metro is about as useful at the Mac OS X Dashboard but 10 times more intrusive, etc).

I tried to install Windows 7 later on but the installation failed 8 times with a message telling me that there is not sufficient space on the drive, even though I had 200GB unpartitioned. It turned out that Win 7 doesn’t support installations from a USB 3.0 stick and this caused this completely unrelated error message. :suicide:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I installed 8.1 as an upgrade of a previous Windows 8 installation. Worked fine.

Trying to do 8.1 directly was dumb though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I did windows 8.1 through bootcamp with a DVD yesterday and it worked fine? :confused:

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

fixed

After suffering for years in the GMA 950 / X3100 wilderness with MacBooks and Minis, it's hard for me to believe Intel makes even semi-decent GPUs.

Eh, maybe I'll just have to suck it up.

The 5100 is fine for more than casual gaming (I regularly play Dota 2 on my rMBP and have no issues whatsoever).

It's also a modern GPU with OpenGL 4.0 support, if you're into graphics programming.

It's not the kind of GPU that you'd wanna play Battlefield 4 on (but I'd argue that if that's the case, you probably shouldn't be looking at a Mac).

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do Retina users boot camping typically just run at quarter resolution?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Do Retina users boot camping typically just run at quarter resolution?

I run the desktop at 1680x1050 and the games at 1440x900, which I had to custom add to the NVIDIA control panel.

I am able to play BF4 just fine at that resolution with the 750m, on medium settings above 50fps average. Not too shabby.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Animal posted:

I run the desktop at 1680x1050 and the games at 1440x900, which I had to custom add to the NVIDIA control panel.

I am able to play BF4 just fine at that resolution with the 750m, on medium settings above 50fps average. Not too shabby.
It's just scaling up then right (vs OS X doing supersampling)? Are the scaling artifacts noticeable?

eames
May 9, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I did windows 8.1 through bootcamp with a DVD yesterday and it worked fine? :confused:

Yeah, there are two methods of installing it — via legacy BIOS compatible mode or uEFI.

uEFI is (should be) the one you want for better battery life and faster boot times. It should technically also support GPU switching but nobody got that to work yet.
The new Haswell MBPs and MBAs default to the uEFI installation process which seems broken at the moment (see my last posting). Old machines install 8.1 in BIOS legacy mode which works fine.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Powershift posted:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

just tick the box beside the 750m and the 5100, and hit restrict. In general it seems whatever the 750M can play on high, the 5100 can play on low.

This is fantastic. Thanks so much for this.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

japtor posted:

It's just scaling up then right (vs OS X doing supersampling)? Are the scaling artifacts noticeable?

The monitor has so many pixels that scaling fuzziness is not an issue.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I don't know where else to say this but I am so mad at Apple.

I have purchased 3 Macbooks in the last 10 years, and my first two were awesome. I have a 2010 Macbook pro and 3 months ago it started crashing every 45 minutes. I went to the Apple Genius bar 4 times and they never fixed it. They kept saying everything was fine and of course it did not crash there. Finally, I was allowed the privilege of paying $280 to send it off with the promise they will fix whatever is wrong. Mavericks said my battery was bad, but they ran a test and it was 1% above replacement threshold so they won't replace it. So I get the honor of paying $129 more in 2 months to replace it.

I have spent 3 months dealing with this. I am so mad. These computers have a huge price premium and to get no help and then have to pay basically the price of an entry level Windows laptop to get this piece of crap fixed, and they won't even do the battery, is ridiculous.

How do I contact Apple to tell someone about this? I filled out the contact us thing on the website and did not even get the "thanks for submitting" email. This whole process no one ever apologized, no one ever fixed my problem, and hell, I still don't have a working machine. I never heard the sentence "Ok, here is what we will do to fix your problem." All I ever did was sit there while some guy ran some tests on my computer, say it was fine, and hand it back and say "it is good, see you later"

I was going to do Apple everything setup for my business next year, new iPhones, iPads and Retina Macbooks, probably $2,500+ a setup, but I honestly don't think I am going to now. I know Windows machines crash and have trouble a lot, but they are half the price. If I am paying a premium I expect real customer service.

I just want to talk to someone who can say something besides "hey man, nothing is wrong, we ran the tests and it never crashed, sorry" for three drat months then charging me the price of a new laptop to possibly fix half my problems.

edit

Sorry to vomit my butthurt complaints on here, but this is no joke the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I look at Amazon as my model for good customer service at a massive company, and they would never have allowed this to occur. Even back in 2004 when I worked Uni tech support and had to call Dell daily I never experienced such an irritating situation as this.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 8, 2013

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tcook@apple.com not kidding do it

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I cleaned it up and emailed it to him. Honestly, to me the sticking point is the battery. If they don't fix that I will probably be through with Apple. If they want to lose 50k+ of future purchases over $129, then they can. I wish Amazon made computers, I would never look at Apple again.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
There should be some kind of evidence in your console that your mbp is crashing all the time. The last time I was getting kernel panics that I could not replicate in the store, the logs in addition my frustration was enough to basically replace every component inside of my computer at some absurd price that was waived due to applecare. (This was after taking it in 2 times already with no results)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

I cleaned it up and emailed it to him. Honestly, to me the sticking point is the battery. If they don't fix that I will probably be through with Apple. If they want to lose 50k+ of future purchases over $129, then they can. I wish Amazon made computers, I would never look at Apple again.
I sympathize with your situation, but given that you have a 2010 MBP, the people at the Genius bar probably thought you were some punk trying to get new poo poo for his aging laptop, not realizing that you're a legitimate customer who was considering a large PO. Who knows if Dell or whoever would be the same if they had tech support at retail outlets.