Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If you're not wanting to wait for an OTA on the N5...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2556906

adb sideload it.
Installed.

Camera is more responsive. My LG headset doesn't try to blow out my eardrums. A+ update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Camera is way faster after update, root was easy to get again. Nice.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Still looking for true gapless playback on my galaxy siii (verizon). Here are the apps I've tried:

Music Player - Not gapless. Big pause in between tracks.
Google Play Music - Same as above.
Winamp - It tries to be gapless but winds up cutting off the ends of the previous track.
Shuttle - same as above
Gapless Player - same as above

I'm running out of apps to try. The ones that claim to be gapless are not. Anyone have any reccomendations?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

b0nes posted:

Just got my Motox today. I noticed a purple tint on certain objects in sunlight. This is an HDR shot cropped.

That's called chromatic abberation, I don't think you can fix that unless you get a different lens, due to the way it bends light etc. Only way to fix that is get another phone and hope for a higher quality lens, if that's even possible.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Hadlock posted:

That's called chromatic abberation, I don't think you can fix that unless you get a different lens, due to the way it bends light etc. Only way to fix that is get another phone and hope for a higher quality lens, if that's even possible.

That's not really true we have been about to fix fairly severe chromatic aberration with software for many years.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
That's called a defective Moto X.

RMA time.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

hotsauce posted:

RMA time.

:laffo:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

hotsauce posted:

RMA time.

No, it's called "something that we've known about ever since color film was invented"

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Gianthogweed posted:

Still looking for true gapless playback on my galaxy siii (verizon). Here are the apps I've tried:

Winamp - It tries to be gapless but winds up cutting off the ends of the previous track.
Shuttle - same as above

I'm running out of apps to try. The ones that claim to be gapless are not. Anyone have any reccomendations?
Poweramp? I heard gapless payback's not perfect though.

However, it's a 15 day trial, so you can give it a shot before plunking down $4.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

grack posted:

No, it's called "something that we've known about ever since color film was invented"

My Moto X does nothing of the sort. That photo is terrible. Guess I beat the odds of color film or something because my pics absolutely don't look like that.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
I'm a total phone newbie, on my first one in like four years, just got a Galaxy S4 last week. I notice it's running 4.2.2 which is a bit behind the curve. Is there a way to force it to update, and if I do does that risk messing something up with my carrier?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

letgomyAgo posted:

I'm a total phone newbie, on my first one in like four years, just got a Galaxy S4 last week. I notice it's running 4.2.2 which is a bit behind the curve. Is there a way to force it to update, and if I do does that risk messing something up with my carrier?

Just be patient and don't mess around with anything if you don't need to. Despite what some other people might want to tell you, the last thing you should do is start messing around with stuff like rooting and installing custom roms or clearing the Google framework cache or whatever.

Just sit back and enjoy your phone. The updates will come.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

letgomyAgo posted:

What carrier? AT&T S4s should be getting their 4.3 soon.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anything else in 4.4.1 beyond the camera? Does WhatsApp work with ART yet?

Gianthogweed posted:

PowerAMP.

That said, gapless depends on the file format. MP3 in theory can't do that, because the length of a song is defined in frames instead of samples. So if a source file overflows a few samples at the end into the next frame during encoding, you get some small amount of silence at the end. There's a defacto way to fudge it by defining the length of the sound in samples in the metadata. If a MP3 file has that metadata and the player supports it, then it can switch gaplessly to the next song. If any of the two conditions isn't met, it won't work.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
This morning I got the 4.3 update for my S3. I purchased the S3 last month and I am with virgin mobile.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anything else in 4.4.1 beyond the camera?
Supposedly it also fixes the Exchange syncing problems that some people were running into.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/PMOplIFLGAk%5B1-25-false%5D

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Combat Pretzel posted:

Fixed the issue with eardrum rupturing volume on the LG Tone (HBS-700 / HBS-730) headsets.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Allaniis posted:

Poweramp? I heard gapless payback's not perfect though.

However, it's a 15 day trial, so you can give it a shot before plunking down $4.

This one actually works the best it seems. Too bad it's not free.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Gianthogweed posted:

This one actually works the best it seems. Too bad it's not free.

It's $4. You will probably use it every day and it will outlast your device. Is that really not worth FOUR dollars?!

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

I've tried some more music players to find the best gapless playback, here's what I've found:

Shuttle - same as above
Gapless Player - same as above. You can adjust how much it cuts off, but it doesn't seem to work too well.
Rocket Music Player - transitions are a little messy
n7player Music Player - small gap
PlayerPro Music Player - skips a bit in between tracks
JetAudio Basic - does a weird fade in / fade out thing between tracks
Poweramp - this one works great, unfortunately it's not free.
neutron - Same as above

On PC obviously foobar and iTunes work great for gapless. iTunes also works great on iPhones and iPods obviously. I think iTunes writes the meta-data for gapless playback.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Neutron is currently hosed up on 4.4. Constantly getting weird bloops and strange noises during playback that doesn't happen with any other player I've tried.

If you're not on 4.4 it's well worth the money, though.

hotsauce posted:

My Moto X does nothing of the sort. That photo is terrible. Guess I beat the odds of color film or something because my pics absolutely don't look like that.

It's a crop of an HDR photo, not the entire photo. Chromatic aberration is a well known phenomenon in photography.

grack fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 6, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Endless Mike posted:

Personally, I think the Moto Q Prime 4G will be the phone to get in a year. I mean, who wouldn't want the haptic, shape-changing 4K screen, blood sugar monitor, and Lynard Skynard sponsorship? Waking up to "Freebird" is vastly superior to waking up to the Vienna Boys Choir. poo poo, the wireless, contactless charging alone should make every iTard and Fandroid finally admit that the smartphone wars are over. That it gets over three days of actual use on a single charge is merely icing on the delicious Android 5.0 Lemonheads cake.

As a diabetic, a blood sugar monitor would be a killer app for me.

I look forward to the day when I can hand over the management my life-threatening chronic disease to the proven reliability of the Android Ecosystem :v:

SevenStringGuru posted:

This morning I got the 4.3 update for my S3. I purchased the S3 last month and I am with virgin mobile.

Canada, US or UK? My S3 hasn't made a blip.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

XIII posted:

It's $4. You will probably use it every day and it will outlast your device. Is that really not worth FOUR dollars?!

It was on sale for $2 recently, too.

Cuck Everlasting
Feb 4, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

Xenoamp

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Its 4 dollars dude just buy it, you can't possibly be that cheap. Poweramp is by far the best music app I've ever used and there's not really much reason to look any further if it does what you want it to do.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Long Francesco posted:

Its 4 dollars dude just buy it, you can't possibly be that cheap. Poweramp is by far the best music app I've ever used and there's not really much reason to look any further if it does what you want it to do.

Apparently, if you're rooted, you can use GMusicFS, and it'll hook Poweramp into your Google Play Music library. I guess rooting is the first thing I do once I get my Moto X.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Long Francesco posted:

Echo Echo. Its 4 loving dollars for a 1 time lifetime purchase. It will follow you from device to device, and works exactly how you want.

Do you have nothing but pirated movies, video games, and music too? Buck up and pay for something jez.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

After buying my first new phone in years, an HTC One, I decided to catch up on this thread. I've read over the last several pages and it looks like the Moto X is the recommended phone for that price and size? Did I screw up? This phone is seriously the nicest piece of electronics I've ever used and an amazing upgrade from my Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S rebrand) but I'm still in my return window, so if the Moto X is that much better...

Gianthogweed posted:

Shuttle - same as above

I'm pretty sure MixZing does gapless. My old phone was too decrepit to really do much of anything near the end so haven't tried it w/ any gapless-oriented material for awhile but if I remember correctly, it handled it fine.
There's a pay version but the free one works fine.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 6, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

regulargonzalez posted:

After buying my first new phone in years, an HTC One, I decided to catch up on this thread. I've read over the last several pages and it looks like the Moto X is the recommended phone for that price and size? Did I screw up? This phone is seriously the nicest piece of electronics I've ever used and an amazing upgrade from my Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S rebrand) but I'm still in my return window, so if the Moto X is that much better...

I'm pretty sure MixZing does gapless. My old phone was too decrepit to really do much of anything near the end so haven't tried it w/ any gapless-oriented material for awhile but if I remember correctly, it handled it fine.
There's a pay version but the free one works fine.

The HTC One is a great phone. The Moto X is also a great phone. If you're happy and dont care about kitkat RIGHT NOW, then dont bother. You didn't screw up its a great device.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Moto X, HTC One, Galaxy S4, Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 3, etc. Any of those are great and you won't go wrong with either one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tried this useless POS software. It would randomly max out the volume on my headphones.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

hotsauce posted:

So just RMA it?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yes Whatsapp now works with ART, speaker volume has increased as well.

Edit: Probably fixes the flash SMS DoS bug as well.

Rusty! fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 6, 2013

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Rusty! posted:

Yes Whatsapp now works with ART, speaker volume has increased as well.

Edit: Probably fixes the flash SMS DoS bug as well.

I'm not really up to date with this ART stuff, but as far as I'm aware it's some sort of replacement for Dalvik. The thing that was holding me back from trying it was Whatsapp not working. I might give it a tinker now if this is the case, though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Anandtech finally managed to finish their Nexus 5 review: http://anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422804832"]
What carrier? AT&T S4s should be getting their 4.3 soon.

I'm with Rogers, Canadian. Are they usually pretty good about pushing updates?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

hotsauce posted:

That is a fairly high contrast image shot on a cellphone. It's probably not actual "chromatic aberration" but more likely magenta light spilling over from adjacent photosites on the tiny rear end sensor couped with overexposure. The fact that it's a cellphone, which by definition means that it's lens is mediocre at best does not help. As long as the purple fringing isn't present in every photo taken I doubt that it's defective in any way, multithousand dollar digital cameras can have the same problems under specific lighting conditions. Stop telling people to RMA their phones because you don't agree with the laws of optics.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't understand why the SDK doesn't install the composite USB drivers to begin with. Every time I've reinstalled Windows, then the Android SDK, it installs the regular USB driver, for ADB fuckery during normal operation, but never the composite ones for fastboot or sideload. I don't understand why there's multiple ones, anyway.

--edit: I see 4.4.1 brings a new radio. I hope it'll stop with the random disconnects.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I'm deciding between my current Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition and a Moto X or Nexus 5. Lets ignore price things right now and just talk phone.

I love the user replaceable battery and the micro SD slot of the S4. I don't so much like the direct sunlight viewing experience. I like the idea of the Moto X special touches like the mic and notification stuff. I like that the Nexus 5 is a real Nexus device and will get upgrades fastest.

The big downside of the Moto X is screen size, and the big downside of the Nexus 5 is the lack of any Otterbox like tough cases that I can see.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

I'm deciding between my current Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition and a Moto X or Nexus 5. Lets ignore price things right now and just talk phone.

I love the user replaceable battery and the micro SD slot of the S4. I don't so much like the direct sunlight viewing experience. I like the idea of the Moto X special touches like the mic and notification stuff. I like that the Nexus 5 is a real Nexus device and will get upgrades fastest.

The big downside of the Moto X is screen size, and the big downside of the Nexus 5 is the lack of any Otterbox like tough cases that I can see.

Thoughts?
The Moto X will likely get updates as quickly as the Nexus so that's a wash. I agree with Doctor rear end in a top hat, the Nexus 5 screen is too big. As an N5 owner I'm going to tell you to get a Moto X.

• Locked thread