Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm filling out a background check paper for employment and at the section where it asks:

"Have you ever been convicted of an offense against the law (other than a minter traffic violation), or are you now under charges for any offense against the law?"

When I was 20 and was arrested at a DUI checkpoint and eventually charged with "reckless driving" which wikipedia says is a "major moving traffic violation." I take it I should answer YES to the question and then there's a section where I can/should explain. Can I just write something as simple as: "Charged in 200X for reckless driving—major moving traffic violation in COUNTY, CITY, STATE," and be done with it? For what it's worth this position is a desk job and driving isn't something I'll ever have to do.
They want to know if you've been convicted. They're not asking what you were arrested for or charged with.
"In 200X I was convicted of reckless driving in Marcicopa County, AZ." should be sufficient.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also, this happened like 6 or 7 years ago. I don't remember the dates or times anymore and I have no record of any of my documents in paper or on my computer. I don't even know if I was 20 when this happened, so this means I don't know what year this was either. Isn't there some kind of public record I could search? This was in Maricopa County AZ.

Probably. http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/docket/CriminalCourtCases/ Would be a good start.

e: try the municipal (city) courts next.
then you might try the Sheriff's dept or Phoenix Police dept, explain your situation and ask if they could help you find the information.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

joat mon posted:

They want to know if you've been convicted. They're not asking what you were arrested for or charged with.
"In 200X I was convicted of reckless driving in Marcicopa County, AZ." should be sufficient.

Sorry, I think I meant to say I was convicted of reckless driving. Like I said it was a long time ago, but I vaguely remember being docked a poo poo ton of points on my driver's license and probably paid some fees. This is kinda why I wanted to dig up records on myself to see if I'm remembering right.

I found that, and they have a search where I can put in my full name, and another one where I can just put in my initials and birthday. Neither came up with a match.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Thanatosian posted:

You should be able to pull up the case on the court's website, which should give you some idea of what it is about. MAKE SURE IT'S NOT A FORECLOSURE ACTION.

Keep in mind that if it is something that negatively affects you, your landlord has a very strong incentive to lie to you about it, so I don't know why you would bother talking to him.
Thanks, here's what I've turned up:

Welp, it says foreclosure right there, but the case is over two years old, and is "inactive" whatever that means. Does this basically mean my landlords are in debt and the plaintiff is making a grab at their assets (possibly my personal dwelling?). What courses of action are available to me if I can't just get up and move somewhere else? Do my landlords have any legal obligation to share this kind of information with me?

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 3, 2013

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You have the right to finish out the current lease, unless the new owner want to move in. Then you still have a minimum of 90 days notice. http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Individuals-and-Families/Consumers/Foreclosure/Tenants-Rights-Regarding-Foreclosure

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I think my job is breaking the law. I'm hoping that someone can clear this up for me:

Washington state.

The company is going through a lot of changes one of which is getting a new insurance. In order to do this we have to fill out some paperwork and sign said paperwork. We are each brought in separately to fill out the paperwork. At the bottom the CFO asks us to sign and date the signature 12/1/13. I tried to argue that I don't back-sign things but she replied "Don't give me grief. Just sign it."

I couldn't find any labor laws regarding this but I'm hoping there is something. Any help would be much appreciated.

bad_habits
Oct 16, 2012
I have a question, I'll try and be detailed as I can without revealing any specifics. For context this situation occurred almost exactly 1 year, and since then I've been in a far far better place mentally, but the thought of pursuing through with legal action still crosses my mind.

I was Baker Acted and sent to a private mental facility where I saw and experienced abuse and neglect on a daily basis, I wrote down everything that happened, names, dates, details, etc. Patients went without their meds for hours and days because they would get "lost" or the paperwork would get mixed up with other patients, I'm also 99% positive from my limited understanding that multiple staff members broke HIPAA laws on multiple occasions, openly talking about patients medical history among themselves out in the open halls and rooms. I was threatened with being detained and isolated for requesting copies of the Habeas Corpus, I was verbally degraded by staff, left in a room alone with a violent patient, and about 100 other things that were egregious beyond belief. I am thinking of pursing action with a lawyer, but I also want to better understand what I may be getting myself into.

bad_habits fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 4, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bad_habits posted:

I was threatened with being detained and isolated for requesting copies of the Habeas Corpus.

Did you ask for the Magna Carta? That would have fixed you right up.

bad_habits
Oct 16, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Did you ask for the Magna Carta? That would have fixed you right up.

Lol, no I did not.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sorry, I think I meant to say I was convicted of reckless driving. Like I said it was a long time ago, but I vaguely remember being docked a poo poo ton of points on my driver's license and probably paid some fees. This is kinda why I wanted to dig up records on myself to see if I'm remembering right.

I found that, and they have a search where I can put in my full name, and another one where I can just put in my initials and birthday. Neither came up with a match.

You can also call the County courts and have the clerks search for you to check on records. Try both their justice courts and district courts (or however the hell Arizona organizes things; I don't really know). If you're nice, the clerks will often go out of their way to explain how to track that info down.

bad_habits posted:

Lol, no I did not.

I have to be honest with you, I have no idea what you're asking for here, or what you think we can tell you. If you're going to chat with an attorney, that'll be much more useful to you in the long run.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 4, 2013

bad_habits
Oct 16, 2012
I guess what I'm really asking is what credentials should I seek when I look for consultations with a lawyer that would best suite my situation?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

bad_habits posted:

I guess what I'm really asking is what credentials should I seek when I look for consultations with a lawyer that would best suite my situation?

It sounds like you're making allegations of medical malpractice, so attorneys who have experience in that field are probably your best bet.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

It sounds like you're making allegations of medical malpractice, so attorneys who have experience in that field are probably your best bet.

A combination of med mal and civil rights/1983 plaintiff's work.

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.
Help me, lawgoons, you're my only hope!

I am looking at a restitution order which was signed off on by someone denoted as "Agent." The "Agent" says both defendants were advised of the terms of the order and the consequences of violating it, and that they SIGNED this order. One major problem: One of the defendants was not advised of any of these proceedings. Yesterday, when she obtained the files, was quite literally the first she had heard of this.

What the hell is an "agent" and how can they sign off on something like this? Are they attorneys? Mediators? Is that even legit? I googled this person every which way and it's like they don't even exist. What, as they say, in the actual gently caress is going on here?

I can get into more detail if anyone needs, of course, it'll be heavily redacted because that second defendant, the one who got left out of the whole process, is getting her own attorney to go over the paperwork. Because it seems really, really shady.

The Oncoming Storm fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 4, 2013

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
If it's a court order, it probably has a court name and docket number on it. Try calling the clerk of that court and asking?

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.

the milk machine posted:

If it's a court order, it probably has a court name and docket number on it. Try calling the clerk of that court and asking?

It does. They're closed but I can try them tomorrow.

I'm just not clear on the concept of "agent" and how they can go behind a defendant's back in the first place.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bad_habits posted:

I would focus more on the 1983 attorneys than med mal.
One with a history of trials involving prisons or cops (or better mh issues)
The aclu also does a lot of this type of work. Unlikely they will take the case directly, but they also do lawyer referrals some times.

bad_habits
Oct 16, 2012

nm posted:

I would focus more on the 1983 attorneys than med mal.
One with a history of trials involving prisons or cops (or better mh issues)
The aclu also does a lot of this type of work. Unlikely they will take the case directly, but they also do lawyer referrals some times.

I feel like I did an adequate job of documenting everything while I was still admitted I filed complaints with the department of health, dcf, and a couple other patient advocate groups. The DoH did an inspection of the facility after I made my complaints but didn't come back with anything conclusive, how much will that affect me?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Guy Axlerod posted:

You have the right to finish out the current lease, unless the new owner want to move in. Then you still have a minimum of 90 days notice. http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Individuals-and-Families/Consumers/Foreclosure/Tenants-Rights-Regarding-Foreclosure

Right, I know I'm not in danger of being evicted suddenly, but I want to know what I can do to preempt that as much as possible. Does it make sense to confront my landlords about it directly? Or is there a way to find out exactly what's going on through the courts?

edit: actually I'm reading conflicting info on tenant rights. Do I get 90 days after the actual foreclosure occurs, regardless of when I was first notified, or it is 90 days after being notified, regardless of when the foreclosure occurs? How could I know when a foreclosure occurs if neither the landlord or the new owner decide to tell me?

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 4, 2013

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The new owners are going to tell you, they want you to stop sending the old landlord your rent money and send it to them.

Also, this is the text of the law: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ22/pdf/PLAW-111publ22.pdf

quote:

In the case of any foreclosure on a federally-related mortgage loan or on any dwelling or residential real property after the date of enactment of this title any immediate successor in interest in such property pursuant to the foreclosure shall assume such interest subject to—
(1) the provision, by such successor in interest of a notice to vacate to any bona fide tenant at least 90 days before the effective date of such notice; and
(2) the rights of any bona fide tenant, as of the date of such notice of foreclosure--
(A) under any bona fide lease entered into before the notice of foreclosure to occupy the premises until the end of the remaining term of the lease, except that a successor in interest may terminate a lease effective on the date of sale of the unit to a purchaser who will occupy the unit as a primary residence, subject to the receipt by the tenant of the 90 day notice under paragraph (1)

Meaning, you have 90 days after you receive notice.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

So I got summoned for jury duty a month ago. I was supposed to be there this morning but..I definitely forgot. I've googled it and gotten a ton of different answers, which leads me to believe it's circumstantial...but I'm still pretty worried about it.

What should I do, and what should I expect? I'm in Virginia if that matters.

Sorry if this has been answered a million times :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Just call them and explain. You're not the first person.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

nm posted:

Just call them and explain. You're not the first person.

Even if my reason is "I've been working a lot because of the holidays and it slipped my mind"?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You can come up with a better excuse if you want (I recommend explosive diarrhea, and make sure every person you talk to is aware of your condition) but they won't actually care why at all, they'll just set you up for another round or have you come in or whatever.

e: you're definitely going to federal prison gitmo, though

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Santheb posted:

Even if my reason is "I've been working a lot because of the holidays and it slipped my mind"?

Well, if you say that, expect to get arrested.

Look, unless they sent it certified mail, they can't prove you got it. They deal with people trying to avoid jury duty daily. If you call up and say you want to do it and just forgot, you'll be their best call of the day.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was jobless one summer and thus had lots of spare time, so I volunteered for extra jury duty because I was bored. The courthouse was baffled and had no idea how to handle that. They ended up handing me a pad of yellow paper and said, "Maybe you should...write...something?" So I said, "I, so-and-so, volunteer for jury duty" and signed it.

I got called in, but when the lawyers found out I was there willingly, they booted me as fast as possible. Oh well.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Most places won't let you volunteer. Apparently if anyone on the jury actually wants to be there our judicial system will crumble or something. I would actually enjoy the experience but I have yet to get summoned once ever.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Thanks guys. I'll come up with a better excuse, but you guys definitely made me feel a little more comfortable about it. Goons are the best (not always but for the most part).

I'll post again after I call them. Thanks again guys!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Be sure to describe in great detail the cell you're posting from.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Javid posted:

Most places won't let you volunteer. Apparently if anyone on the jury actually wants to be there our judicial system will crumble or something. I would actually enjoy the experience but I have yet to get summoned once ever.

I suppose the idea is that the jury pool is supposed to be a representative sample of the population, so letting people self-select themselves into that sample is going to skew things.

Of course, this doesn't really work out that well in practice anyway on account of how there are about a million categories of people who can be excused from jury duty, but what are you gonna do.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Javid posted:

Most people who really really want to be on a jury either:
1. Want to convict someone
2. Want to gently caress with the man (acquit)
3. Are criminal attorneys

3 is easily located and booted

1-2 are hard to distinguish from each other unless they're honest (which defeats their goals), so you probably want to kick them to be safe.

I would note the whole "they just want stupid jurors" is often false. My last trial I wanted smart jurors (because the facts were complex but on my side), ideally STEM people. Of course, not a single STEM person on the panel.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dear god, I would kill for jurors with college educations for our trials, much less STEM educations. Smart jurors are exactly what we want.

Unfortunately, there are basically none of those in the Marshall, TX jury pool.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Kalman posted:

Dear god, I would kill for jurors with college educations for our trials, much less STEM educations. Smart jurors are exactly what we want.

Unfortunately, there are basically none of those in the Marshall, TX jury pool.

College education often just means they think they are smart.
Teachers, for example, are a very mixed bag.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nm posted:

College education often just means they think they are smart.
Teachers, for example, are a very mixed bag.

Try explaining the details of how RF circuits function to someone who didn't finish eighth grade. I'll take the teacher pretty much any day.

(I can see desires being different for criminal work, but for patent work, at least for us, we generally go with smarter is better for our jurors.)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

nm posted:

1. Want to convict someone
3. Are criminal attorneys

3 is easily located and booted

1-2 are hard to distinguish from each other unless they're honest (which defeats their goals), so you probably want to kick them to be safe.

I would note the whole "they just want stupid jurors" is often false. My last trial I wanted smart jurors (because the facts were complex but on my side), ideally STEM people. Of course, not a single STEM person on the panel.

Makes perfect sense. It is odd though that someone who wanted to be a part of our government at work is basically guaranteed to be excluded. Sure I could go watch a trial, but that isn't the same. I don't want to be the defendant, and I don't want to be an attorney. I got summoned once and didn't get selected, but it was cool just seeing how things work. Mostly the nice part is its like a field trip for civics class. My work place pays our normal wage, were as if I went by myself I'd have to take a day off etc etc. I hope I get summoned again sometime.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How difficult is it generally to get hearing transcripts? I attended one today and the judge laid down some nice verbal pimp slaps to the guy that I kinda want to remember. This was in California, and the specific court (Del Norte county superior court) has a godawful website wherein the transcripts link goes nowhere.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Kalman posted:

Try explaining the details of how RF circuits function to someone who didn't finish eighth grade. I'll take the teacher pretty much any day.

(I can see desires being different for criminal work, but for patent work, at least for us, we generally go with smarter is better for our jurors.)

In this example, if there was somebody in the jury pool with a degree in EE and experience in RF communications, would it be pretty much guaranteed that they would be dismissed during the jury selection process by the other lawyer?

nm posted:

Is that type of person a PDs best friend, or can they hurt a defense?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

Is that type of person a PDs best friend, or can they hurt a defense?
If you can detect them without the DA finding out. They are, however, far worse at lying than the first type who always claim to be "fair."

Javid posted:

How difficult is it generally to get hearing transcripts? I attended one today and the judge laid down some nice verbal pimp slaps to the guy that I kinda want to remember. This was in California, and the specific court (Del Norte county superior court) has a godawful website wherein the transcripts link goes nowhere.

Easy. Look at the court record, find the transcriptionists name. Contact them, pay money.
Transcriptions belong to the transcriber, not the court. the court can help you contact them, but no more

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

In this example, if there was somebody in the jury pool with a degree in EE and experience in RF communications, would it be pretty much guaranteed that they would be dismissed during the jury selection process by the other lawyer?

Depends on the person and the case, honestly, but fairly likely.

If you think you have a strong position it's more likely you don't challenge that person, since they seem more likely to support your side of things and their expertise will carry weight in the jury room. At the same time, we also will have looked into who they worked for, what technologies they worked on, if they have any patents to their name, etc. - all comes down to whether you think you can get them on your side or not.

(All in all, jury selection for patent cases is black magic so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Except for the part about Marshall juries because god drat those people.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Kalman posted:

Depends on the person and the case, honestly, but fairly likely.

If you think you have a strong position it's more likely you don't challenge that person, since they seem more likely to support your side of things and their expertise will carry weight in the jury room. At the same time, we also will have looked into who they worked for, what technologies they worked on, if they have any patents to their name, etc. - all comes down to whether you think you can get them on your side or not.

(All in all, jury selection for patent cases is black magic so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Except for the part about Marshall juries because god drat those people.)

Also, one problem in technical cases is that even experienced people can be wrong about things. If an expert says something that is incorrect, I can challenge him and put my own expert on. If it is a juror, I will never know. Plus his opinions will hold more weight with the jury because he his one of them and seems to know what he is on about.
It is a really fine line. In some cases, I want people with certain general knowledge, but I'd never want someone with experience in that exact area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

nm posted:

Also, one problem in technical cases is that even experienced people can be wrong about things. If an expert says something that is incorrect, I can challenge him and put my own expert on. If it is a juror, I will never know. Plus his opinions will hold more weight with the jury because he his one of them and seems to know what he is on about.
It is a really fine line. In some cases, I want people with certain general knowledge, but I'd never want someone with experience in that exact area.

Isn't this what happened in the Apple-Samsung trial? One of the jurors was a stealth expert on patents and suddenly that Apple design patent becomes a major piece of intellectual property.