Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oil! posted:

I just got the results back today. I passed and am now a Professional Engineer, but have no idea what to do with my licence.

Congratulations! I was in the same boat as you but for EE but at the very least it comes in handy as a good competency trigger when you need to career pivot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Oil! posted:

I just got the results back today. I passed and am now a Professional Engineer, but have no idea what to do with my licence.

Nicely done! We are still waiting for the results in Colorado...just tell me already drat it.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I've attended upwards of $15k of training for specialized control systems, so I can understand where they're coming from, but I personally feel like that's a long rear end time to pay for your training. It's one thing to get an MBA or a degree paid for, but I'd try to negotiate on the job training to lower than 2 years. In this job market, it's a huge liability for you if they decide to cut you.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 10, 2023

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Oil! posted:

Congrats!!!! Now you get to 1. buy a stamp and a seal, 2. add some letters after your name, 3. ... and 4. profit! I've found my PE mostly just costs me money, though. You'll get to pay the state lots of money every year or so, and get to pay out for continuing education credits, and so on.

It should make you eligible for some really kick-rear end jobs now, though. Working for the government, they just want me to have a PE license; I don't actually have to use it. I don't even know where my stamp and seal are anymore.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 6, 2013

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Oil! posted:

Be extremely smug about it to engineers without a license.

March into your manager's office with your stamp and demand a raise.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

totalnewbie posted:

March into your manager's office with your stamp and demand a raise.

Both the non licensed engineers and your boss will laugh at you.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Vaporware posted:

I've attended upwards of $15k of training for specialized control systems, so I can understand where they're coming from, but I personally feel like that's a long rear end time to pay for your training. It's one thing to get an MBA or a degree paid for, but I'd try to negotiate on the job training to lower than 2 years. In this job market, it's a huge liability for you if they decide to cut you.

I'd make sure that clause addresses what happens in the event of a layoff. It actually benefits the company not to come after you because they get to keep the tax write off.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

SeaBass posted:

Both the non licensed engineers and your boss will laugh at you.

:ssh: you're ruining it

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

totalnewbie posted:

:ssh: you're ruining it

My bad :ohdear:

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007

Apprentice Dick posted:

It would be at the Evandale office, so your input would be very useful!

OK, well the Evendale office is the headquarters for Aviation so you would be working on stuff that would be readily visible. You'd most likely be able to go onto the shop floor and see the parts you are working on. It is somewhat stressful given the many different new products being developed at the moment (LEAPX and GE9X) and they keep go a really tight development schedule. Cincinnati is a nice city to live/work with the Reds and Bengals and it has a bunch of attractions to keep you entertained on weekends. If you give me the department you'd work in I might be able to tell you more. I am currently in the EEDP program in the advanced externals design group.

Faded Sloth
Nov 22, 2013

baron zen
Hey so I'm a Math+Econ double major but I've decided to apply for the switch to Electrical Engineering. How are the job prospects for this field? And would I have to take the PE for it?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I would imagine the job outlook for EEs will continue to look great for at least the next 50 to 100 years. As far as the PE, it depends. It's not going to hurt to pick it up if the opportunity presents itself (or at least pass the FE exam). There's so many sub-flavors of EE, though, that it just about covers the whole spectrum from "absolutely required" to "a cool thing on your resume."

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

totalnewbie posted:

That's my plan! I just got the results the other day too.

Also, in Washington, by law, only registered PEs can stamp Area Classification drawings which is a pretty big deal for the industry I work in. This has been a problem when going to contractors out of state where they don't have a PE registered in Washington handy (who is also competent in Area Classification).

Anyone know where I can get a custom 6"x6" stamp?

Faded Sloth
Nov 22, 2013

baron zen
Also, where would I get MATLAB for free, or is there such a thing? I've never used it before but I want to get it early so I could start learning it before the new semester begins.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

You might have to be enrolled in your university's program to get access. Octave is free and a decent bit like Matlab, though.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Faded Sloth posted:

Also, where would I get MATLAB for free, or is there such a thing? I've never used it before but I want to get it early so I could start learning it before the new semester begins.

Check with your school's IT department. The school might have it on lab computers or available to students for free. Alternatively it's pretty much the safety scissors version of C++ so if you know/learn C++ you'll be fine for MATLab. Some of the syntax is a little weird, but once you pick up on it you'll be fine.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
:filez: or 99$ for student edition or use linux-octave

Faded Sloth
Nov 22, 2013

baron zen
I know it's available through my school but it only works on campus. I am looking for one I could use at home. I already know C, C++, and Java, though the most recent one I've learned is C.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Faded Sloth posted:

I know it's available through my school but it only works on campus. I am looking for one I could use at home. I already know C, C++, and Java, though the most recent one I've learned is C.

Its $99 for the student version, or you can VPN to campus from your home if your university has that (and these days...)
Full version of Matlab is something like ~$4k if I recall correctly, without any toolbox.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I'll point out that the student edition has each toolbox for 30$ extra.

Faded Sloth
Nov 22, 2013

baron zen
Which website do you use to buy the student edition?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Faded Sloth posted:

Which website do you use to buy the student edition?

I'd post a link if the correct website weren't literally the first result when you Google either "matlab student edition" or "matlab student version".

Faded Sloth
Nov 22, 2013

baron zen
The first result is not always the correct one when you search to buy software online, just saying. Besides, the website is called mathworks not matlab so no reason to act like an rear end.

Faded Sloth fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 9, 2013

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am a PE in the state of Colorado! Wooo!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

spwrozek posted:

Congrats!!!!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

:hfive:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

So I'm working through a degree in Biomedical Engineering, with a pretty heavy EE bias. After attending an Engineering job fair my school put on and seeing most companies had no idea what Biomedical Engineering was, I'm getting a bit :ohdear: about my major, but a big part of that could be my location (East Coast, pretty much 0 biotech stuff happening in my state). Did I screw myself picking an Engineering degree in a smaller field?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

100% of BMEs that I have met have told me that a masters degree is required for any job (including entry level) in the BME field. Also heres some labor stats for you. The number of BMEs is expected to nearly double over the next decade; however, that still puts it at less than 1:10 ratio of BMEs to EEs or MEs at the 2010 numbers.

BLS posted:

Quick Facts: Biomedical Engineers
2010 Median Pay $81,540 per year
$39.20 per hour
Entry-Level Education Bachelor’s degree
Work Experience in a Related Occupation None
On-the-job Training None
Number of Jobs, 2010 15,700
Job Outlook, 2010-20 62% (Much faster than average)
Employment Change, 2010-20 9,700

Quick Facts: Electrical and Electronics Engineers
2010 Median Pay $87,180 per year
$41.92 per hour
On-the-job Training None
Number of Jobs, 2010 294,000
Job Outlook, 2010-20 6% (Slower than average)
Employment Change, 2010-20 17,600

Quick Facts: Mechanical Engineers
2010 Median Pay $78,160 per year
$37.58 per hour
On-the-job Training None
Number of Jobs, 2010 243,200
Job Outlook, 2010-20 9% (Slower than average)
Employment Change, 2010-20 21,300

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Do you mind putting up the info for civil engineers and where it comes from?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/civil-engineers.htm

Quick Facts: Civil Engineers
2010 Median Pay $77,560 per year
$37.29 per hour
On-the-job Training None
Number of Jobs, 2010 262,800
Job Outlook, 2010-20 19% (About as fast as average)
Employment Change, 2010-20 51,100

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Thanks. Interesting stuff.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

spwrozek posted:

I should probably take the FE exam here in Ohio. Not sure that it matters for anything, but it can't hurt considering I don't qualify to take the PE exam.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

ranbo das posted:

So I'm working through a degree in Biomedical Engineering, with a pretty heavy EE bias. After attending an Engineering job fair my school put on and seeing most companies had no idea what Biomedical Engineering was, I'm getting a bit :ohdear: about my major, but a big part of that could be my location (East Coast, pretty much 0 biotech stuff happening in my state). Did I screw myself picking an Engineering degree in a smaller field?

I worked at an R&D biomedical device company outside of school with some BME's, the red flag is that I had a physics degree...and a lot of people had EE/ME/CS degrees.

I think the issue with BME was that unless the scope of work is human factors or really early proof of concept stuff, a lot of "BME" tasks can be easily broken down into EE/ME/CS.

For instance "I want to build a small pump, how will I be able to do that?" Ask a trained EE.

"Ok so my little pump is now built, but it needs software..." Hire a CS grad to write that code.

"Awesome, I have a pump and it works, but now how do I make it less expensive and give it a reasonable form/create drawings?" Get your local ME!!

What is the niche that the BME fills? Like I said before there is human factors and knowing that X material when in people has a Y% chance of causing issues, but that isn't the real demanding part of development.

So, did you screw yourself? No, absolutely not, but you need to be ready to sell yourself (IE your specialization in Electrical Engineering). Also I was in New England and we have a lot of Biomed so I would think about shipping up the coast.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Where's Software Engineers on that list--

Oh, right, we're not "real" engineers. :(

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

an skeleton posted:

Where's Software Engineers on that list--

Oh, right, we're not "real" engineers. :(

I saw Physics, EE, and CS degree work on software, so I think "software engineer" is like Quality...you fall into it from something else. Unless we have different ideas of what a SW engineer is.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ranbo das posted:

My experience doing something similar (relatively valuable degree from a location that lacks that industry), the hardest thing you will run into is finding your first job without knowing anyone in industry. I assume you're willing to move?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Crazyweasel posted:

I saw Physics, EE, and CS degree work on software, so I think "software engineer" is like Quality...you fall into it from something else. Unless we have different ideas of what a SW engineer is.

My understanding is that "software engineer" is supposed to show a higher level of scope than a normal computer programmer while not showing as high of level of scope as a "software architect." Neither title carries any legal weight nor have any requirements, to the best of my knowledge. I know I've seen plenty of "network engineer" postings that just require a highschool diploma.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KetTarma posted:

My understanding is that "software engineer" is supposed to show a higher level of scope than a normal computer programmer while not showing as high of level of scope as a "software architect." Neither title carries any legal weight nor have any requirements, to the best of my knowledge. I know I've seen plenty of "network engineer" postings that just require a highschool diploma.
I still say you ain't an engineer if you ain't driving a train :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Don't all the cool people call themselves hackers nowadays?