Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

teknologik posted:

Having the same problem here :( Anyone?

By rotate do you mean like between a right 90 degree roof/wall and a left 90 degree roof/wall? It's a little touchy but if the gap is the right size you should just be able to put it in the right spot and it'll recognize and correct it.

E;
Should just slot into place.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any way to up the text size? It is kinda hard to read at 1440p.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I'm having a lot of trouble finding silver. Do I just need to dig down deeper, or is there a good threat level to search for it at?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there a hotkey for switching Techs? I just got my second Tech, and I equipped them both, but I can only have one 'active' at a time and I have to go in to my inventory and click the second one to activate it. That's kind of annoying.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

This planet right here, it owns. You can get lucky enough to reach the ship without finding a single monster, and I got a 30 damage 10 ap pistol that lets me shoot with a shield up. I'm drat near invincible to threats below 9 now.

Also found a flower backpack that supposedly boosts energy regen while in sunlight. Don't really know if it works, though.

I got a pretty good sniper rifle and assault rifle.

Also the captain had a cool treasure map I took.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm loving this game so far. The art and music are so charming.

My Apex, Coifdale, has been mining down into a mushroom planet. I ran into a bunch of slime and wells of poisonous goo. Then a layer of excrement. Then after that, a vast network of caverns littered with dimly burning, ancient lanterns. So spooky and atmospheric!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
COuple questions.

1. Are all characters part of the same universe? Say I wanted to play a different character on my multiplayer server, would it load up the same universe?

2. Have they said a wipe is a definite thing coming, or was their message more along the lines of "something could break when we patch the game, so don't be too surprised if you lose your progress"?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Verranicus posted:

COuple questions.

1. Are all characters part of the same universe? Say I wanted to play a different character on my multiplayer server, would it load up the same universe?

The things you've mined and done will sadly not be saved. The planets will, however, be the same planets, so if you find a cool dungeon then you can go there with your new character.

There really needs to be a way to save multiple locations in-game. I want to remember where all the things are!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I finally found Tier 3 pirates and they sell Tier 3 guns with 23 Armor Penetration. Oddly, they're cheaper than Tier 2 guns from Tier 2 Pirates at only ~321 pixels per hand.

9236094 , 72611315
Gamma Mu Aqr 60 IV a

Far left of spawn. There's also a ton of surface titanium on this planet, TL23 Grasslands

crowfeathers posted:

There really needs to be a way to save multiple locations in-game. I want to remember where all the things are!

Not a perfect solution, but add anything you think is cool to this google doc
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kHix192pKvjA2Q5PSuU7zNMuaRxqN2B1N718t4FWmwk/edit?usp=sharing

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 6, 2013

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

A.C. posted:

If you head to a Jungle planet or often even other planets, there's sometimes a ton of surface vegetation that you can cut with your sword to get plant fiber. It's easy enough to get that I'm running around with ~100+ bandages constantly even though I'm spamming them like crazy. There are Red Stims for faster healing in combat, which you can find in some structure types, as drops, or get a Stim Merchant in your ship/base that sells them.

Also it can't really be stressed enough that caveman tier can be skipped entirely by flying around the galaxy like Han Solo and stealing everything from every civilization you find. You can find all of the toolbenches you need early on, tons of materials and food, and magical weapons. All of the "cool sci-fi stuff" is available right away, you just have to fly somewhere and find it.

Except for guns. There are no guns.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

CountingWizard posted:

There are totally guns. Look for an anchor on planets, then climb up and look for the space pirate ship it came out of. :yarr:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I finally figured out you could wear whatever over your armour items. So now I'm rocking a wedding dress with scientist pants.

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

CountingWizard posted:

I just managed to loot a pistol out of a chest on some level 2 forest world. It may be very rare (or it may even be a bug!) but you can get guns too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CountingWizard posted:

green/blue/purple Guns are intended to drop from level 11+ Large Monsters, but a bug was preventing them from doing so. It's fixed in tonight's patch. The Google Doc in my last post has the coordinates for planets where you can buy Tier 2 and Tier 3 guns.

e: vvv In Tier 3 you can craft a "Wiring Gun" and find/craft Wires, which I assume are used to link switches to doors/traps.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 6, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Does anybody know how to link switches to doors?

This door and switch worked in the lab I grabbed it from.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A.C. posted:

Not a perfect solution, but add anything you think is cool to this google doc
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kHix192pKvjA2Q5PSuU7zNMuaRxqN2B1N718t4FWmwk/edit?usp=sharing

Can't seem to edit it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sorry, try now. It was set to not allow anonymous edits but I fixed that.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

ethanol posted:

Does anybody know how to link switches to doors?

This door and switch worked in the lab I grabbed it from.

Once you get to titanium tech, I.E., summon and defeat the second boss, you should be able to make a wire tool that can link things together. This tier also gets you a paint gun (Only 1 of red/blue/yellow dye and some metal) that allows you to paint the background a rainbow of colors. :allears:

I'm looking forward to balance passes though; Going from titanium armor to the next tier only gets you an extra defense point. And the next tier is similarly only a single defense point. I guess there's only so much you can do with armor. :v:

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Well, I've put 26 hours in this game according to steam, which is mostly me leaving the 'LAUNCH STARBOUND' screen open while I slept/worked/etc. But I've probably put about five or six solid hours into the game and after reading the thread pretty thoroughly I think I'm going to leave the game alone for awhile and let them iron out the kinks and add content/unlock features. It's really fun, but I don't want to burn myself out on it right away.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
How am I supposed to handle these floating spinning chests? The last two I have found simply openned into a puff of smoke. First time killed me. Second time I evaded it. Are these just a trick-or-treat sort of thing?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tier 3 guns are still completely useless on Tier 3 planets :( My 23 Armor Penetration, 11 damage per shot, 5 projectiles per shot shotgun hits level 27 enemies for 7 damage. Getting magic guns from boss mobs later tonight will be nice, hopefully they have slightly higher armor penetration.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kiggles posted:

How am I supposed to handle these floating spinning chests? The last two I have found simply openned into a puff of smoke. First time killed me. Second time I evaded it. Are these just a trick-or-treat sort of thing?

Yeah, except the tricks generally kill you and the treats are like 20-second buffs to jump height. They're really not worth it.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Platinum armor is worse than the Tier 2's Racial Armor. This is going to make these TL 20+ planets a gigantic slog because Tier 2 armor isn't good enough to prevent you from being one-shotted by everything.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Verranicus posted:

COuple questions.

2. Have they said a wipe is a definite thing coming, or was their message more along the lines of "something could break when we patch the game, so don't be too surprised if you lose your progress"?

You can set these config values in your server.cfg so that everyone loads in the same starting spot:

"useDefaultWorldCoordinate" : true,
"defaultWorldCoordinate" : "alpha:-90295724:-1732235:-22349245:10:3",

You can set the coordinate to any world file you may already have. It seems to create this world if it doesn't already exist.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Here's a mod that makes the manipulator faster and one-handed, just extract into your Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets folder. https://www.dropbox.com/s/kc4g3np39n14uuj/beam.zip

Can't have upgradeable ones right now, but there's a crazy amount of options.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
:siren: Bombs do 500 damage each to the tier 1 boss :siren:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
My Floran started on a small planetoid orbiting around a larger ice planet. I finally learned enough to tackle the ice planet and have not been disappointed so far.

Yes, those are brains in the tree. Sadly, cutting the trees down "only" gives wood, but still. Brain trees!

x=41985386 y=57493686

Alpha Merquia 667 III

No idea what dungeon is on the ice world yet. The planetoid is pretty calm, and the lower depths had a relatively large number of gold deposits and some pretty neat crystal formations.

EDIT: Should mention - the ice world is TL6.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Found a bass guitar! And even bigger flower for my back! Everything's comin' up Spuddhouse.

EDIT: I should add the picture...

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

A.C. posted:

Tier 3 guns are still completely useless on Tier 3 planets :( My 23 Armor Penetration, 11 damage per shot, 5 projectiles per shot shotgun hits level 27 enemies for 7 damage. Getting magic guns from boss mobs later tonight will be nice, hopefully they have slightly higher armor penetration.

In any equivalent enemy level/armor penetration value rapid firing guns with low damage seem to be useless, and not all shots of the shotgun cause damage at once, which makes them really, really bad. I had way more success using sniper rifles and a high power(over 20 damage) pistol with a shield. It sort of makes things trivial since you can shoot with the shield up.

By the way: Shields. They are too strong right now. I suggest energy usage on block a la dark souls, depending on the armor and shield level.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is Current Corn just one of those crops that doesn't grow right? I've had mine planted for a few hours while I built a house/went afk and it is still just planted seed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For lack of the right language, how optimized is the beta's processing speed compared to what the final game will be? I have a three-year old laptop with 4GB RAM and a 2nd-gen i5 and it really seems to chug in places, and the fan is in high gear almost all the time. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to get my new laptop a little sooner or do something silly like put more RAM in my current laptop (which I've been told is often impossible and/or pointless for laptops)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Found a drat cool planet: X 17437691 Y -68092721 Beta Trianguli 99 III. It's practically on the other side of the world from the spawn, but you can find a medieval castle dungeon complete with cavalry and a collectible crown hat :3:

E: It's actually just to the left, I walked all that way for nothing :D

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 6, 2013

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do enemies in dungeons never respawn? I cleared a sewer full of cool-looking spider robots but when I went back later to take a screenshot the whole dungeon was still empty.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

Do enemies in dungeons never respawn? I cleared a sewer full of cool-looking spider robots but when I went back later to take a screenshot the whole dungeon was still empty.

They do not. This is, I think, because their drops are much better than usual mobs, so they're part of the reward.

I've found tons of great melee stuff and shields in the castle, for example.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
They didn't drop anything but pixels though, and not even very many of those.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Its all up to chance. I've run through giant dungeons that gave me nothing but a few pixels and smaller dungeons that gave me half an inventory full of weapons.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Bought a shotgun from a floating pirate ship, man what a piece of poo poo.

Uses like 80 energy and does 6 damage and only seems to hit with one shell rather than the 10 that come out.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

crowfeathers posted:

Found a drat cool planet: X 17437691 Y -68092721 Beta Trianguli 99 III. It's practically on the other side of the world from the spawn, but you can find a medieval castle dungeon complete with cavalry and a collectible crown hat :3:

E: It's actually just to the left, I walked all that way for nothing :D

Which moon?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

The Duggler posted:

Bought a shotgun from a floating pirate ship, man what a piece of poo poo.

Uses like 80 energy and does 6 damage and only seems to hit with one shell rather than the 10 that come out.

Pistols and Sniper Rifles seem to be the only guns worth buying right now. Pay attention to their damage, energy cost and most importantly armor penetration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd like a way to see if a planet has a town on it, maybe some fluff text on the menu saying your systems pick up radio waves or something.

Unless there's a way to tell already and I just never noticed.

• Locked thread