Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Hello and welcome at last to Starbound a terrarialike (2dblockmetroidvanialike?) where you hop between planets, dig, build, kill stuff, and adventure with friends that has finally been released for public testing!

:siren: IMPORTANT poo poo :siren:
This is a BUGGY BETA meant for TESTING - You will lose your poo poo. There will be bugs.
You can buy the game from Their Site or through Steam for $15 - 4-packs are available for $45
READ THIS - I really mean it.
Chucklefish is the developer - They are quite active and answer many questions.
Go Here to make all your goonbound (and IRC) dreams come true - There's also a Steam Group and a modding IRC channel at #starboundmodding on SynIRC
Check out the Roadmap to see what cool features are coming up
This is not a finished game - THIS IS NOT A FINISHED GAME
This is a BUGGY BETA meant for TESTING - You will lose your poo poo. There will be bugs.

:siren: IMPORTANT TIPS :siren:
Shift-click to quick-move items
Shift-click to shrink block placing and digging
Press E (Or Middle Mouse) to interact (THIS INCLUDES CRAFTING)
Left-Click to affect foreground, Right-Click to affect background
See that bar at the bottom that's going down? YOU ARE FREEZING TO DEATH FIND SOME HEAT
The coordinates of a planet are the seed, which you can share
You can't sell things as of yet
Use something like ShiftWindow to fix the window size
Here's a template AutoHotkey script to rebind keys

Additional Tippage
Some goons have taken to compiling cool coordinates here

Clocks posted:

All right, here's a post of random tips & tricks, since people keep asking very similar questions. Not really formatted well but might teach people something they were asking about.

• Holding shift while using the matter manipulator or placing blocks results in a 1x1 block instead of a 2x2 block.
  • Right click when placing or destroying blocks to place or destroy the back wall.
  • The L/R buttons on your hotbar can be used as a hotkey as well! Anything placed there will be switched to when you use 'x,' and you can use 'x' again to switch back to what you were holding beforehand. Try putting something you use often there, like your weapon.
  • Hunting is done with the bow. Killing things with a bow makes it drop meat or leather, killing it with a sword or similar weapon makes it drop pixels. Meat does not always drop, so try killing multiple monsters with your bow until it does! [Soon there will be a hunting knife that allows for meat kills as well.] Alternatively, to grow things, make a stone hoe and till the soil at the top of the planet to make it viable for growing seeds in.
  • To collect plants, tap e while near them.
  • Things like campfires and crafting tables need to be 'used' (default button is e) to see what you can do with them. For things like crafting, be mindful of the buttons below which sort what recipes you know. If you need to find a recipe fast, search for it in the search bar.
  • That "light" indicator bar at the bottom of your screen is actually your warmth meter. Get yourself near a campfire to heat up. You will die if your screen starts becoming foggy and you start losing health. [This will soon be a more obvious temperature indicator.]
  • To regenerate health, you can sleep in something like a bed or a wagon. To do it faster, make bandages! First, build a spinning wheel from your crafting table, then collect plant fibres (by chopping down vines growing in caves) to create fabric, then make bandages (back at the crafting table).
  • You can fly to a different planet, even if you haven't built the beacon! Go to your ship and use the terminal near the pilot's seat. Coal and unrefined wood can be used to add fuel to your engine. To zoom out of your system, right click.
  • As an addendum, sometimes starting planets just seem barren of resources or fun things to explore. Don't be afraid to leave! However, mind cold & moon planets since they have harsher temperatures and may not be as easy to explore in.
  • The distress beacon is a one-time use item and summons a really hard boss. Don't put it down until you're ready and be aware that you might need to save up and make one again.
  • To repair your pickaxes, pick up ore from your inventory and right click on the pickaxe. I've actually had luck using copper to repair a gold pickaxe, but some people say you need to use same-or-higher quality ore to repair. Repairing brings it back to full durability which lets it go at its best speed.
  • I suggest putting things like your anvil and crafting table on your ship. You'll always need them and you won't need to replace or take them with you when you fly to new planets.

Starbound takes place in a procedurally-generated infinite universe, where the coordinates of each planet, moon, or other (inter)stellar body function as the seed for its terrain generation. Every planet can have unique (sub)biomes, flora and fauna, ground materials, villages and structures, and environmental threats such as extreme temperature or toxic liquid. You can explore to your heart's content right out of the gate with just a bit of combustible fuel. Each planet has a 'threat level' assigned to it, the higher this number, the more dangerous it will be to explore, but also the more treasure and resources you can find.

Combat in Starbound is interesting, with a huge variety of weapons with unique animations, effects, and stats, allowing you to fight however you like. Be warned, enemies have access to all of the same weaponry as you, along with surprising and deadly natural weapons and intelligent behaviors. You can easily dual-wield one-handed items, making it easy to mix it up with shields, swords, guns, and more. In addition to armor and weapons, you also have access to special techs which grant you additional abilities such as dashes or morphballing.

For those so inclined, Building is another major part of Starbound, you don't have to flit planet-to-planet smashing pots and looting bedrooms if you would rather settle down and construct a glorious castle. Blocks can be placed (and broken) either in a 2x2 chunk or singly (by holding shift) at range easily, with the first tool you get in the game. Dungeons and villages can be looted for their pretty furniture and decorations, and there are many things which can be crafted as well. Building resources such as dirt, wood, and stone have their own separate inventory in order to reduce clutter, which is for the best, as you'll have many different varieties to choose from depending on what you've explored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU56Kh731Q0

In addition to all the cool stuff above, there's also MORE cool stuff! Instruments which can play .abc files and endless cosmetic options are out there waiting for you to create the perfect space rock band. Or just look cool. Every race also has the ability to inspect the world around them, revealing their inner feelings about everything from beds to rocks to trees. To go along with this, you can find codex entries around the universe, which contain interesting stories and other bits of lore.

Song Stuff: ABC files are stored in SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/song, to learn more about ABC files see here.
http://reissendewoelfe.de/abc/
http://www.lotro-abc.com/
http://www.thefatlute.eu/

Starbound is an extensively moddable game right out of the box by design. Nearly everything is defined in (more or less) easy-to-read JSON and can be added on to, modified, or removed as you see fit. You can force the game to reload the assets by using the '/reload' command - very handy.

Goon + Dev Streams (* = dev):
- Tiy*
- Bartwe*
- Chucklefish*
- BRAWW
- SCT
- Shukaro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0MBDzzW4b0

PM me if you want something added or changed.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Reserved

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Official petition to destroy Caveman Tier starts on the ground floor!!!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FYI the other thread's OP is still actively posting and has an OP for post-beta:

Met posted:

I have a new thread planned for after the beta.

Generally you should let the old OP repost the thread or ask them if it's okay for you to do it first :shobon:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Any word on when the game will be available off Steam? I bought it six months ago or so, and I'd kinda like to play it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So i'm getting ready to try to run a multiplayer server. Will post the link here if it works.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
Anyone know where I can get a Matter Block? It's an item needed for this Neat Welder's Helmet.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Network Pesci posted:

Any word on when the game will be available off Steam? I bought it six months ago or so, and I'd kinda like to play it.

It's available right now!

A.C. posted:

FYI the other thread's OP is still actively posting and has an OP for post-beta:

Generally you should let the old OP repost the thread or ask them if it's okay for you to do it first :shobon:

I was told to :justpost: since there was yelling or something happening. :shobon:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
No, off Steam, as in you don't need Steam to play it.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Anyway, continuing the discussion from the last thread, I just don't think the first tier fits at ALL tonally with the rest of the game. Having crude scifi machinery and camping equipment or SOMETHING would feel so much more in line with the rest of the game than Literal Minecraft Progression.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Network Pesci posted:

No, off Steam, as in you don't need Steam to play it.

The updates and all are done through steam so... I would guess either never or much later on.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Varinn posted:

Anyway, continuing the discussion from the last thread, I just don't think the first tier fits at ALL tonally with the rest of the game. Having crude scifi machinery and camping equipment or SOMETHING would feel so much more in line with the rest of the game than Literal Minecraft Progression.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I like the caveman tier but somehow making it more in line with the theme would be cool.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Varinn posted:

Well, that's the thing though.

I haven't read up on the backstory, but presumably you are either escaping / a stowaway / setting out on this tiny rear end ship to god knows where. The only things you have with you are this matter manipulator you find, a weapon, and some seeds. The 3D printer isn't loaded with any useful things you could create and you didn't bring any tech with you. It makes sense that the matter manipulator you have now might not be some super duper high tech one from back home or whatever. Even more, it's easier to use technology when you already have it than when you have to make it. I know how to use a flashlight, but I sure as hell don't know how to build one. So starting out with more basic tools and eventually working your way up works even in a lore/immersion sense.

So the complaints seem to be -- we have to use pickaxes! To mine ore! Why can't it be more scif-fi!

I mean, I guess whatever floats your boat. I don't mind the standard progression and Tiy has made it clear higher tiers (that are not currently implemented) will have cooler sci-fi stuff. Hell, aren't guns technically tier 2 or tier 3? That's not very far removed from the beginning.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

A.C. posted:

Missed your post originally (this thread moves fast!) but it's this same planet:

TL12 Desert

I can't seem to find anything at these coordinates. Anybody mind double checking them for me?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Clocks posted:

I haven't read up on the backstory, but presumably you are either escaping / a stowaway / setting out on this tiny rear end ship to god knows where. The only things you have with you are this matter manipulator you find, a weapon, and some seeds. The 3D printer isn't loaded with any useful things you could create and you didn't bring any tech with you. It makes sense that the matter manipulator you have now might not be some super duper high tech one from back home or whatever. Even more, it's easier to use technology when you already have it than when you have to make it. I know how to use a flashlight, but I sure as hell don't know how to build one. So starting out with more basic tools and eventually working your way up works even in a lore/immersion sense.

So the complaints seem to be -- we have to use pickaxes! To mine ore! Why can't it be more scif-fi!

I mean, I guess whatever floats your boat. I don't mind the standard progression and Tiy has made it clear higher tiers (that are not currently implemented) will have cooler sci-fi stuff. Hell, aren't guns technically tier 2 or tier 3? That's not very far removed from the beginning.

The ~story justification~ doesn't matter, because you can change it to justify ANYTHING, it's about the gameplay. You mention that the sci-fi stuff 'comes later on', but why shouldn't the sci-fi stuff be in the sci-fi game from the get-go?

Again, before someone thinks I'm arguing against progression, I'm not. I want Sci-Fi Progression instead of a weird Pseudo-Terriarcraft Progression before the real one starts.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Shukaro posted:

The updates and all are done through steam so... I would guess either never or much later on.

Well, when I bought it, it said I could play it with or without Steam. The official site says that I can play it without Steam, it just doesn't say precisely when that will be. I was hoping somebody had a more precise answer than "someday maybe".

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How much is the minimum fuel to make a jump to another planet, and does it cost a proportional amount to distance to fly back home?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Varinn posted:

The ~story justification~ doesn't matter, because you can change it to justify ANYTHING, it's about the gameplay. You mention that the sci-fi stuff 'comes later on', but why shouldn't the sci-fi stuff be in the sci-fi game from the get-go?

Again, before someone thinks I'm arguing against progression, I'm not. I want Sci-Fi Progression instead of a weird Pseudo-Terriarcraft Progression before the real one starts.

Alright, let's go with this. Where should it start? What should be the first proper mining tool you make?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

dijon du jour posted:

Alright, let's go with this. Where should it start? What should be the first proper mining tool you make?

It's already in my hands! It's called the Matter Manipulator, and I shouldn't have to set it down for anything made of stone, copper, or iron imo.

edit: But honestly, this is against the point. I'm not a starbound dev, I'm giving my Beta Impressions as a Beta Tester.

Ruxpin_exe
Oct 14, 2003
TITLE TEXT
um so heres a vid about going below the lava layer on a planet I just made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv639EsO3J4

Pumpkin Pirate
Feb 2, 2005
???????

Network Pesci posted:

Well, when I bought it, it said I could play it with or without Steam. The official site says that I can play it without Steam, it just doesn't say precisely when that will be. I was hoping somebody had a more precise answer than "someday maybe".

They've said that they're doing steam only for now because it makes it a lot easier for them to release patches, and they're planning to release one every day, maybe even multiple per day, for a while. If I've understood correctly, the plan is to release a non-steam version when the pace of patches slows down a bit, probably around the stage 2 beta. I don't think anyone knows when that will actually be, though.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Varinn posted:

Well, Tiy thinks it does and said so much in the last thread. :v:

The general idea across all the races is that you are more or less hosed when you start the game. You are some kind of outcast or on the run, the ship you are on may not even be your own or you might be the last surviving crew member. I've only heard snippits from the other races, but it is more or less sounds the same and I know that the Glitch's explanation is that you became self aware and broke off your race's hivemind, you had to get the gently caress off the planet or probably face death. You start off on a shift dead adrift in space with no fuel, and what looks like what you have found in an emergency supplies locker. Crude tools are just that, stuff you scrounge to get yourself going, because you have nothing, hell even your more advanced tech as you start going in that direction comes from the wreckage of a UFO you destroy. You are not a grand space adventurer, you did not come prepared, you are just trying to survive. That is how you start off.

Tiyuri posted:

You'll be able to later in the game, this beta only really contains tiers 1 - 3 of 10, the other 10 are there in part but smooshed together with broken progression, just for people to mess around in whilst we finish them up. The idea here is to see your player advance from being stranded with 0 resources to developing sci-fi tech. Much of the sci-fi stuff is in the later tiers.

I mean, if you still hate the chosen theme of the beginning of the game that much, you could just edit the game files and replace the early stage stuff with more techy equivalents, but what you are asking for doesn't make sense in the context of being "stranded with zero resources" and it is just mind boggling to indicate otherwise. :psyduck:

Clocks posted:

Well, that's the thing though.

See, this guy gets it.

Varinn posted:

Because you were stranded without any resources? I mean, you say the story justification doesn't matter, but it kind of does?

Varinn posted:

It's already in my hands! It's called the Matter Manipulator, and I shouldn't have to set it down for anything made of stone, copper, or iron imo.

edit: But honestly, this is against the point. I'm not a starbound dev, I'm giving my Beta Impressions as a Beta Tester.

See now, I wonder if this is the main issue. I don't see the Matter Manipulator as a deconstruction tool as much as a building tool. It reminds me of how Gmod's Physgun works, being able to pick up and manipulate matter. I see it as a general purpose tool used to do things when you don't have the right tool to do the job. Maybe that is where things are going off? Some people see the MatMan to be an all in one super tool while others see it as the build tool? I mean, since the first time we saw the tool, it was used for building stuff, so it never came to mine that this thing should instantly dice up trees and plow through the earth.

I also don't understand how you would just upgrade something like that without acquiring the technology needed to do the manufacturing. With "caveman" tier tools and workstations, it makes sense. That is all stuff you could reasonably put together by hand, and it is with those handmade tools that will give you the ability to eventually give you the infrastructure to make high tech gizmos on your own.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 6, 2013

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Metrohunter posted:

I can't seem to find anything at these coordinates. Anybody mind double checking them for me?

I just went to this planet and found the Rocket Boots and Avian airship. Are you set to Beta Sector?
(The airship had an oboe and a bass guitar, but those are randomized, I guess)

Anyone else know some other places I could go to find Tech?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Varinn posted:

Hey, at least you aren't getting started by punching trees into submission. :v:

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

Seemenaked posted:

Anyone know where I can get a Matter Block? It's an item needed for this Neat Welder's Helmet.

Pretty sure you get one from downing a space ship after using a beacon.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

How much is the minimum fuel to make a jump to another planet, and does it cost a proportional amount to distance to fly back home?

Jumping to another star costs 300 fuel. Jumping to another orbit in your system costs 100 fuel. Jumping to another planet in the same orbit (going from planet to moon orbiting said planet) costs 1 fuel.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Right, so i'm messing about with how setting up a server works. Also dicking around with a new character on one. There's like three ports that aren't really defined in usage so i'm trying to figure it all out. If you're interested in messing about with MP check out 72.45.56.195.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Varinn posted:

I don't think your argument is about gameplay, though; it's about aesthetics. Unless I'm misunderstanding, you want to start off with everything looking sci-fi rather than having to use hand tools, but you still enjoy the resource gatherting / crafting / tool improvement progression, right?

I understand where you're coming from, but disagree with you. I enjoy playing through the "caveman tier" and think it is fitting thematically and aesthetically.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If I want to keep my character but reset the world, how do I do that?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I'm saying that as someone who avoided Starbound news until right when I downloaded it and launched it, that the entire first five minutes feels like a rug dropping down on you. The new player experience is that, yes, you get the little blurb in the beginning about how you're a survivor/outcast/whatever, but the first thing you do is get your matter manipulator from your spaceship locker and use your teleporter to beam down! This is hype! This feels rad!

And then I have to make a crafting table, a pickaxe and an axe, and then I put away my scifi omnitool for the foreseeable future, make a terraria house, and it's super depressing.

This all sounds like I'm super critical of the game, I'm not! I really love this game so far, and exploring and stuff is super fun, and the tiers PAST that are fun and show massive promise. It's just that the first tier is not providing a good new player experience at all, and getting this feedback is the ENTIRE point of a beta.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Caveman tier would make more sense to me if your ship wasn't available/functioning at the start. Maybe get it back/repair it at the end of the tutorial quest line?

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 6, 2013

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

rhoga posted:

Anyone else know some other places I could go to find Tech?

I'm going to be compiling a list of anything that I find/anything that's posted in this thread with an image of coordinates.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kHix192pKvjA2Q5PSuU7zNMuaRxqN2B1N718t4FWmwk/edit?usp=sharing

So far, that location is the only one there. However, anyone with this link can edit, so feel free to add your own, preferably in the same format. At some point I'll reorganize it so it's easy to look for specific things.

If you want to add this to the OP please feel free because it would be nice to have a lot of contributors!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 6, 2013

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Caveman tier would make more sense to me if your ship wasn't available/functioning at the star. Maybe get it back/repair it at the end of the tutorial quest line?

Yeah, if the caveman tier is REALLY important to the devs for whatever reason, then it needs to be made more reasonable to someone starting the game up blind. That's a good idea, or even just making your ship hella busted or SOMETHING.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Reposting since I didn't notice the new thread:

My server's made some new friends.

We also have some dinosaur monkeys with red sunglasses but those are too hostile and fast for me to get a picture.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just hope that theres eventually a better indication that we should build tools. I mean, it's completely my fault for not seeing the Stone Pickaxe in the crafting list, but I seriously thought that my first pick was going to be the copper one and spent over an hour digging with the Matter Manipulator before realizing the stone one existed. Again, completely my fault but the tutorial never mentions anything and just sort of dumps you off with the beacon boss quest.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Varinn posted:

I'm saying that as someone who avoided Starbound news until right when I downloaded it and launched it, that the entire first five minutes feels like a rug dropping down on you. The new player experience is that, yes, you get the little blurb in the beginning about how you're a survivor/outcast/whatever, but the first thing you do is get your matter manipulator from your spaceship locker and use your teleporter to beam down! This is hype! This feels rad!

And then I have to make a crafting table, a pickaxe and an axe, and then I put away my scifi omnitool for the foreseeable future, make a terraria house, and it's super depressing.

This all sounds like I'm super critical of the game, I'm not! I really love this game so far, and exploring and stuff is super fun, and the tiers PAST that are fun and show massive promise. It's just that the first tier is not providing a good new player experience at all, and getting this feedback is the ENTIRE point of a beta.

To me, having the first tier be a terraria-minecraft-ish kind of thing just makes me more hyped for what is to follow. Personally I really felt like a survivor rather than an adventurer to begin with.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone know what a Matter Block is and how to get it? I have the rest of the materials to craft a rad helmet and that's all I'm missing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FPzero posted:

I just hope that theres eventually a better indication that we should build tools. I mean, it's completely my fault for not seeing the Stone Pickaxe in the crafting list, but I seriously thought that my first pick was going to be the copper one and spent over an hour digging with the Matter Manipulator before realizing the stone one existed. Again, completely my fault but the tutorial never mentions anything and just sort of dumps you off with the beacon boss quest.

Well, I mean, it is day two of the "unstable, expect poo poo to blow up frequently" beta stage. :v:

Just, IMO, phrase things that are deficiencies of the tutorial as observations, not complaints. Not until the ostensibly "stable" beta phase, anyways.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone found any pets? I see there's slots for them on the character screen, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it, so I'm guessing it's not implemented yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Cryohazard posted:

To me, having the first tier be a terraria-minecraft-ish kind of thing just makes me more hyped for what is to follow. Personally I really felt like a survivor rather than an adventurer to begin with.

For me, the game is now about searching for and raiding civilizations, and taking everything not nailed down. It is the most fun way to play.

• Locked thread