Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
He's not very Germanic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

hagie posted:

He's not very Germanic...

Orihime, Rangiku, Ichigo and a bunch of others aren't very Japanese either just going off their hair color.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

tsob posted:

Orihime, Rangiku, Ichigo and a bunch of others aren't very Japanese either just going off their hair color.

I kind of got the impression that's why they were all friends to begin with....Chad and Ichigo anyways, both only being half-Japanese.

As for this chapter, gently caress man, I just want a shinigami to loving win for once. Like Kensei goes Vaizard and redeems his loss to WonderWeiss. Or have Kenpachi run through reciting the alphabet as he slashes through each one effortlessly. But I gotta hand it to Koobs, he's not ever short on character ideas.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Backweb posted:

This chapter was stupid and Kubo needs to move the plot along. :colbert:

There's so much development he could do with the quincy, but instead he fell back into the trap of having too many side characters saturating the story with fights that should happen off screen. This is gonna be another poorly thought out year of dumb fights like Hueco Mundo and Fake Kurakura.

Silence before Kubo hears you and moves the Luchador off screen.

Kild posted:

I imagine the Luchador to have a Major Armstrong from FMA voice.

When I read Armstrong I immediately had "Nanomachines son" Armstrong in my head... I am saddened by the FMA bit of your post.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

WhiffleballDude posted:

Yeah that was probably the most predictable ending that could have possibly been done but I can't help but dig Kensei's attitude. "I'm not here to gently caress around. Here's my bankai, here's what it does, now gently caress off."

He just couldn't pull off loving Boring like Kenpachi would.

Right now I really want to see Renji, Rukia, and Chad all fighting on captain levels. It would be a real :swoon: moment to see them taking down some of these quincies.

I mean it has only been about ten years since any of them have had a real fight, right? (Rukia that one time doesn't count).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Thoren posted:

He just couldn't pull off loving Boring like Kenpachi would.

Right now I really want to see Renji, Rukia, and Chad all fighting on captain levels. It would be a real :swoon: moment to see them taking down some of these quincies.

I mean it has only been about ten years since any of them have had a real fight, right? (Rukia that one time doesn't count).

Poor Chad went and trained inside a Hyperbolic Time Chamber and still didn't get to fight last arc.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Y'know, now that they're showing up in the story again, I hope at some point we get some kinda context for the Vizards splitting up. I mean, I can vaguely imagine how it went down. Shinji, Rose and Kensei wanted to be captains again (and Mashiro follows Kensei wherever 'cause they seem to have a brother/sister thing goin' on), but Love, Hachi, Hiyori and Lisa were long since fed up with Soul Society's BS and didn't wanna go back. But even then, for narrative purposes, it feels strange to go part way, with some of them becoming captains and leaving some of them in the human world.

I know there's something that the Vizards are handling in the human world, but it seems strange to me to pick them specifically for it rather than, say, Urahara's crew or Ichigo's sisters or Ichigo's friends from school, which would leave the Vizards to be in Soul Society and joining in on the Quincy fighting.

Also, I hope at some point Kubo remembers that they can do that whole Hollowfication thing.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

VJeff posted:

Y'know, now that they're showing up in the story again, I hope at some point we get some kinda context for the Vizards splitting up. I mean, I can vaguely imagine how it went down. Shinji, Rose and Kensei wanted to be captains again (and Mashiro follows Kensei wherever 'cause they seem to have a brother/sister thing goin' on), but Love, Hachi, Hiyori and Lisa were long since fed up with Soul Society's BS and didn't wanna go back. But even then, for narrative purposes, it feels strange to go part way, with some of them becoming captains and leaving some of them in the human world.

Wasn't there an opening in their respective squads, again?

I'd be interested to see the conversation during the time skip to allow them back in.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Loved this chapter, it was just insane, but in a good way.

hagie posted:

I'd be interested to see the conversation during the time skip to allow them back in.

this would be neat. And yeah of the three who became captains after Aizen's defeat all three were captains prior to being infected by his experiments 100 years ago. They're even captains of their original squads i think? The Vizard that didn't return were all Vice Captains or equivalent (hachi) except for Love.

There are so many characters I want to see do *something* and I just get the feeling we'll never see them do anything. Isshin for example.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

hagie posted:

Shinji took Aizen's place, and was Aizen's Captain. Kensei took Tousen's place, and was Hisagi's Captain/idol. I think Rose took Gin's place. I don't remember what position Mashiro has now.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

treeboy posted:

There are so many characters I want to see do *something* and I just get the feeling we'll never see them do anything. Isshin for example.

I think we haven't seen the last of Isshin. The backstory arc before this one made people want him that much more.

Though I don't see him dying since there are still kids at home.

I still think this whole story ends with Ichigo's sister(s) picking up the mantle. Maybe even picking up his sword(s).

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Scyantific posted:

It's so stupid, yet I can't stop reading!

New thread title please.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Shinji took Aizen's place, and was Aizen's Captain. Kensei took Tousen's place, and was Hisagi's Captain/idol. I think Rose took Gin's place. I don't remember what position Mashiro has now.

Mashiro is the self-proclaimed "Super Lieutenant" of Kensei's squad. In reality she's the co-lieutenant along with Hisagi. The three captains who went back to SS went back to their original divisions (Shinji to the 5th, Kensei to the 9th, Rose to the 3rd)

As for what happened that let them back in, it was probably Yamamoto realizing that they weren't at fault for becoming Vizards, and probably some pressuring from the rest of the squads because they lost several people (and probably Ichigo had something to do with it too).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

tsob posted:

Maybe they changed their hair colour using

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Japery aside I'm pretty sure Ichigo flat out states that he doesn't near the start while monologuing about how people try to bully him due to the color of his hair and Orihime's is orange/red, not blonde, so bleaching is out for that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

Japery aside I'm pretty sure Ichigo flat out states that he doesn't near the start while monologuing about how people try to bully him due to the color of his hair and Orihime's is orange/red, not blonde, so bleaching is out for that.

I think it's important not to confuse an anime character's drawn hair color with their "actual" hair color. Ichigo is a redhead, but I'm pretty sure Orihime's hair is "really" brown. Rangiku might actually be non-Japanese, though; Soul Society may be culturally Japanese, but presumably people from all over the world go there when they die.

Weirdly, Hitsugaya is actually referred to as "silver-haired" in a filler episode, but I don't remember it ever being stated in the manga.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I think it's important not to confuse an anime character's drawn hair color with their "actual" hair color. Ichigo is a redhead, but I'm pretty sure Orihime's hair is "really" brown. Rangiku might actually be non-Japanese, though; Soul Society may be culturally Japanese, but presumably people from all over the world go there when they die.

Weirdly, Hitsugaya is actually referred to as "silver-haired" in a filler episode, but I don't remember it ever being stated in the manga.

Yeah, Orihime was originally brown I'm pretty sure. I think there's even some old color art from Kubo with that?

Ichigo has orange hair, but it should be noted that Ryuuken has white. What do they have in common? Quincy. Maybe it is just a thing that happens to Quincy sometimes.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
where's ryuuken in all this

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lamebot posted:

where's ryuuken in all this

Probably in the alley behind the hospital he works at, smoking a cigarette with Isshin and just talking about what's going down.

"So your kid joined the Quincy again, huh?"
"Yeah. Probably gonna whoop your kid's rear end while he's at it."
"We'll see about that."

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Probably in the alley behind the hospital he works at, smoking a cigarette with Isshin and just talking about what's going down.

"So your kid joined the Quincy again, huh?"
"Yeah. Probably gonna whoop your kid's rear end while he's at it."
"We'll see about that."

"So your kid joined the guy who murdered our wives and his mother?"
"Yeah"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Ryuken must be the world's most disappointed parent.

"My kid just regained his powers and took down a bunch of superpowered humans, what'd yours do?"
"Lie in a pool of his own blood."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BlitzBlast posted:

Ryuken must be the world's most disappointed parent.

"My kid just regained his powers and took down a bunch of superpowered humans, what'd yours do?"
"Lie in a pool of his own blood."

If they ever re-do the anime I want a small section at the end of relevant episodes where Isshin and Ryuuken do just this. Maybe have their ghost wives show up for the sake of comedy occasionally.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If Bleach was more meta an omake or whatever where the two fathers do commentary of various fights would be fantastic.

It would also be a massive improvement to all the side fights that don't really hold up.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

If Bleach was more meta an omake or whatever where the two fathers do commentary of various fights would be fantastic.

It would also be a massive improvement to all the side fights that don't really hold up.

Has Chad thrown a forklift at someone yet?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There's a ton of omakes in the anime that are nothing but "Ryuuken and Ishida shoot the poo poo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqtZt2vYPm0

My personal favorite.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Speaking of the anime, if they ever do make a new one to cover this arc I hope the battle music will live up to Ishida's.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Bleach

Ahahahaha, oh my god. Love lost because he explained how his power worked to a guy who probably would not have figured it out on his own. No matter how badly Renji screws this up, he will still look amazing by comparison.

Oh, and neither of them bothered to use their mask, for no particular reason.

sadwallaby
Apr 12, 2002

That said, Renji looks loving awesome and I'm glad to see him. Will be nice to see him not get steamrolled for once.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This entire chapter is distilled Bizarro Bleach.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

considering he crushed his eardrums, will he still be able to talk with Renji for the rest of the fight?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If Renji loses this I will actually be surprised for once!

Hahahahah who am I kidding, Rukia still needs to make a dramatic entrance.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
We can only hope the next issue has Renji constantly interrupted by his opponent yelling out "WHAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So basically stone cold chants of WHAT?

I"m down with that.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The closer we get to PBR being introduced into the world of Bleach, the better.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love that the reason that Rose lost was because he had to explain his loving bankai to the audience so we would get it. Like loving seriously dude, I'm still laughing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Mask de Masculine continues to be The Best :allears:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that was the creepiest bankai ever. Has Junji Ito started drawing Bleach?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's awesome that everyone expected Kensei to lose like a jobber and then he did. The way Rose was beat was even better. "Did you just crush your eardrums?" That's what you get for explaining your power!

Now time for Renji to do what he does best so Rukia can look awesome.
Say, wasn't Masc the Masculin also the guy that kicked Renji away when Byakuya was getting his rear end kicked by rear end nodt?

This was hilarious. Mask the Masculin is truly the best. Whether he wins or loses, he is will always be a winner to his fans. :allears:

Say Nothing posted:

Well, that was the creepiest bankai ever. Has Junji Ito started drawing Bleach?

Not quite the creepiest, but definately up there. To bad it was only shown so short.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Good lord, how has Soul Society lasted this long with such incompetent Captains?

You had to wait for an opening to kill a helpless fan? Then the Bankai explanation->defeat in mere panels was way too stupid/amazing. I was waiting for Love to get back up and reveal that Mask was only winning in the "Hero's Life" illusion, but nope, he legitimately got star-beamed to let Renji save someone who literally just saved someone else in the same chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

It's awesome that everyone expected Kensei to lose like a jobber and then he did. The way Rose was beat was even better. "Did you just crush your eardrums?" That's what you get for explaining your power!

Now time for Renji to do what he does best so Rukia can look awesome.
Say, wasn't Masc the Masculin also the guy that kicked Renji away when Byakuya was getting his rear end kicked by rear end nodt?

This was hilarious. Mask the Masculin is truly the best. Whether he wins or loses, he is will always be a winner to his fans. :allears:

Not quite the creepiest, but definately up there. To bad it was only shown so short.

It isn't only that he explained how it worked. Love first made absolutely certain that anyone who knew anything about bankai could tell that it was an illusion, then he admitted that it was an illusion, then he explained how it worked. It wasn't shown, but I suspect he also placed a "KICK ME" sign on his own back. Love would have easily won if he had pretended to have some generic fire bankai. It isn't all bad, though. Kubo could have started spending 10 chapters on each minor character fight again. It isn't like anyone gives a poo poo about Love (a.k.a. background vaizard #3), after all.

• Locked thread