Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Minrad posted:

Which moon?

oh, drat, it's IIIa. Just head left, you'll run into some huts and then the castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

C-Euro posted:

For lack of the right language, how optimized is the beta's processing speed compared to what the final game will be? I have a three-year old laptop with 4GB RAM and a 2nd-gen i5 and it really seems to chug in places, and the fan is in high gear almost all the time. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to get my new laptop a little sooner or do something silly like put more RAM in my current laptop (which I've been told is often impossible and/or pointless for laptops)

Different hardware, different results, but I'm using a 6 year old Gateway P-6831FX, with a 2.5 Dual, and the same RAM, and I'm running solid 60 all the time. I don't know if GPU comes into play with this game at all (I wouldn't think so, but I've seen poo poo), but in that case I have a 8800M GTX.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

ShadowMar posted:

Pistols and Sniper Rifles seem to be the only guns worth buying right now. Pay attention to their damage, energy cost and most importantly armor penetration.

I know, if all the shells hit it wouldn't be such a bad weapon I think it's just broken now and I miss my pixels :qq:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Did anyone notice via the main menu that we are in Beta v. "Perturbed Koala"?

:3:

Edit: I just found a power (I think it was dash) and 'used' it, it said unlocked at the bottom. How do I now equip it?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 6, 2013

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

crowfeathers posted:

oh, drat, it's IIIa. Just head left, you'll run into some huts and then the castle.

Well, for what it's worth, there's an USCM* base just to the left of spawn on moon B :v:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Have they said when the update is dropping tonight? Or did it already come out?

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

explosivo posted:

Did anyone notice via the main menu that we are in Beta v. "Perturbed Koala"?

:3:

Edit: I just found a power (I think it was dash) and 'used' it, it said unlocked at the bottom. How do I now equip it?

You go to the console in your ship and slot it. It has a techs option or whatever it is called. The console right before the cockpit.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I started abusing the desert mining trick and my ore stockpiles loving skyrocketed. I'm sitting on 700 copper right now and more bars than I know what to do with.

A few thoughts I had for story progression that I'd like to see:

Start off on a planet somewhere as a whatever, find a crash site or possibly an escape pod with a corpse and the matter manipulator. Start building tech from the codex found in the pod and make your way up. The distress beacon is what will get you your first spaceship and it should probably come after you get into silver or so? Not sure, but I like the idea of the tutorial being an extended stay on a starting planet and the game opening up after that with the option to start a new game on the ship with basic tools.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lallander posted:

You go to the console in your ship and slot it. It has a techs option or whatever it is called. The console right before the cockpit.

Thanks!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

VDay posted:

Have they said when the update is dropping tonight? Or did it already come out?

From what I gather on the IRC, it's in Steam's hands and we're just waiting on them now. No idea on an ETA though.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I haven't seen this yet, and it is pretty neat. In your inventory, next to your armor slots are cosmetic slots. Their stats are ignored, but you'll use their appearance.
Be a Jazz Wizard without compromising your defense.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'd like a way to see if a planet has a town on it, maybe some fluff text on the menu saying your systems pick up radio waves or something.

Unless there's a way to tell already and I just never noticed.

That exact thing showed up in videos and screenshots pre-beta. Presumably it's something you unlock later on?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Onean posted:

From what I gather on the IRC, it's in Steam's hands and we're just waiting on them now. No idea on an ETA though.

Sounds good, just wanted to make sure my buddy and I hadn't missed it since I wanna get it asap for the decreased pixel costs and faster mining times.

Also, for some reason I can't host a multiplayer game despite forwarding the 21025 port and being able to connect to my own server. My friend can host our games fine and is doing everything I am as far as we can tell. Anything I might be missing? I'd rather host our game if possible because I have a better machine and internet.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

VDay posted:

Sounds good, just wanted to make sure my buddy and I hadn't missed it since I wanna get it asap for the decreased pixel costs and faster mining times.

Likewise. I've been having a poo poo time holding on to my pixels, 1600 has just felt so drat hard to hold on to while my friends are sitting on better gear due to playing longer and clearing out most of the nearby worlds. They keep getting better while I'm just stuck in the same spot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bah, I downloaded a bunch of abc files after finding a harmonic and I keep finding ones that crash the game. :argh:

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I just figured out that you can set the smelter and refinery to work and then go do something else, I'm an idiot but my life has now been changed.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Here's another small mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4dszei7zepb95j/instruments.zip

It adds recipes for the various instruments to the crafting table, just pick up a pixel to learn the recipes. Extract it into \Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets of course.

Edit: fixed a small typo

Syenite fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 6, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I wanted to build some guards to put in my boss castle, but then I realized it was 2400 pixels each, so that fun idea is now gone forever. Guess I'll go shoot some guys.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So uh, is there a tier 2 armour beyond your racial armour and how do you make it?

TL20 enemies curbstomp me even with it on.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Apparently items sitting on the floor disapear after a short time. I just lost a bunch of stuff on my ship because I busted open chests to redecorate. :cripes:

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
After joining a multiplayer server I keep getting a "client-server connection is no longer valid" error when trying to play single player with the same character. Is there any way to fix this?

Edit: This bug also pops up when I try to start a new character as well, so yeah, pretty serious. I've reported this on the official forums as well, so hopefully a solution can be found.

Doctor Zaius fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 6, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Okay, so, whomever it was that posted in the document about the pirates at Alpha Umbraxian 1207 II, holy poo poo thank you. These guns are insane.

They look bitchin', too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Doctor Zaius posted:

After joining a multiplayer server I keep getting a "client-server connection is no longer valid" error when trying to play single player with the same character. Is there any way to fix this?

That sounds like the important kind of bug that you would be better off reporting on the official forums.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So looks like no update tonight?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So looks like no update tonight?

Night's early yet, who knows. Still waiting on Steam, so there's nothing Chucklefish can do.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Onean posted:

Night's early yet, who knows. Still waiting on Steam, so there's nothing Chucklefish can do.

Some of us work :colbert: :(

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lemon King posted:

You can also add more sectors, increase the threatLevel ranges and change what biomes spawn in the sector.
code:
    {
      "id" : "sectorz",
      "name" : "Sector Z",
      "sectorSeed" : 20348384203492,
      "prefix" : "Zed",
      "sectorSymbol" : "/celestial/sector/x.png",
      "hueShift" : 180,

"worldParameters" : {
        "threatLevel" : [41, 62],
        "unlockedBiomes" : [ "moon", "magma", "tentacles", "volcanic" ]
      }
    },

Shukaro posted:

Here's another small mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4dszei7zepb95j/instruments.zip

It adds recipes for the various instruments to the crafting table, just pick up a pixel to learn the recipes. Extract it into \Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets of course.

Hey, you guys are awesome. Also the guy who modded in the ability to use the larger ship (and I heard someone actually found a way to make the Space Station the default ship instead, for maximum space?) Some really inventive and useful ideas and we're only on Day 2. It really makes me wonder about what kind of mods are really possible in this game, and what we'll see in the coming weeks and months.

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

Is there an easier way to deal with coldness than dragging a campfire with me and dropping it every 30 feet?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

bonermobile posted:

Is there an easier way to deal with coldness than dragging a campfire with me and dropping it every 30 feet?

Torches give some heat as well.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Building in this game is way too much fun. It'll be hard to go back to a single block builder game.

I feel like bruce wayne lost in space terraria.

Heating a building could be better. having to resort to torches when you have automatic doors is a bit strange. I think one furnace should heat a whole building.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 6, 2013

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

Hey, you guys are awesome. Also the guy who modded in the ability to use the larger ship (and I heard someone actually found a way to make the Space Station the default ship instead, for maximum space?) Some really inventive and useful ideas and we're only on Day 2. It really makes me wonder about what kind of mods are really possible in this game, and what we'll see in the coming weeks and months.

Honestly I was a bit concerned about uploading mods with complete files :filez:. I have been playing with editing the block layout bitmaps to put the starting gear (or really anything else) in the bigger ship. I haven't found anything about the space station in the assets files. Making a new ship at this point means doing the following things:

Make a background image for the full ship, this can be decorated with ingame assets via block placement, but the background needs to be there (assets/ships/human/dropship2.png).

Make a block bitmap (check assets/ships/human/dropshipblocks.png and dropshipblocks2.png) with colors indicating what you want where.

Make a .structure file that references the background image, the block bitmap, and maps colors in the block bitmap to other game entities.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

bonermobile posted:

The racial armors all have temperature whatit stats, so make those.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

ethanol posted:

Building in this game is way too much fun. It'll be hard to go back to a single block builder game.

I feel like bruce wayne lost in space terraria.

Heating a building could be better. having to resort to torches when you have automatic doors is a bit strange. I think one furnace should heat a whole building.

What if you wanted to go left?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Ess posted:

If you go all the way right you eventually reach left. :v:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

C-Euro posted:

For lack of the right language, how optimized is the beta's processing speed compared to what the final game will be? I have a three-year old laptop with 4GB RAM and a 2nd-gen i5 and it really seems to chug in places, and the fan is in high gear almost all the time. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to get my new laptop a little sooner or do something silly like put more RAM in my current laptop (which I've been told is often impossible and/or pointless for laptops)

I get the same trouble on a Phenom II X4 3.1. I wouldn't bother updating your hardware at the moment. There are clearly a LOT of issues with the code as of right now. This is absolutely a beta as we should really be expecting betas. Definitely wait until the game is officially released before you make any decision, and even then, I would probably expect some big improvements, considering they were aiming for a very low minimum requirement.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Hold on, where's that larger ship mod, I missed it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Steam just started downloading a ~572MB patch, so looks like that's finally out! :toot:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ess posted:

Why would I ever go left?

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Whew, verifying the integrity of the game cache through steam fixed the "Client-Server connection is no longer valid" bug, if anyone else has this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
Patch downloading.

• Locked thread