Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Inferno was the best Niven/Pournelle collab. Less dense and more fun than Mote in God's Eye, or Lucifer's Sledgehammer-of-a-Book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

SynthOrange posted:

It's not Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series was it?

no in that one the aliens have like 2050-level tech but they invade during world war 2

the parts i read were alright i guess but turtledove sex scenes uuuugh:gonk:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
niven is pretty creepy but he has some good short stories

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gardner Dozois' Years Best Science Fiction Volume 30 continues the trend of being the years best science fiction.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i'm about to watch "traveling salesman". don't really know anything about it; don't even know if it's sci-fi or not. will report back.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

stephen king is pretty creepy but he has some good short stories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMqUmb-S10

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i watched the final cut of blade runner recently after being mostly familiar with the dc for many years. i literally couldnt tell the difference at all, which leads me to believe that the dc is fine for 99.9% of the public and the final cut is for the most part worthless.

also i love this thread, i need to make more time in my life for reading. it seems all cool sci fi is limited to novels and im seriously missing out

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BANME.sh posted:

i watched the final cut of blade runner recently after being mostly familiar with the dc for many years. i literally couldnt tell the difference at all, which leads me to believe that the dc is fine for 99.9% of the public and the final cut is for the most part worthless.

also i love this thread, i need to make more time in my life for reading. it seems all cool sci fi is limited to novels and im seriously missing out
not all of it, there may be as many as twenty decent movies out there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BANME.sh posted:

or vice versa

I can't think of anything that's in the dc but not the final cut except "fucker"

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

hm okay so it starts off slow but then it picks up, at least by the standards of "five guys sitting in a room talking" movies. the ending was a bit silly imo.

worth a watch if it comes up on netflix and you're bored and have a passing interest in computer science i guess. alternatively just watch "sneakers" again because it's way better.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

haveblue posted:

if history were constantly being changed how would anyone know? for all you know you remembered a different history of the world five seconds ago and will remember a different one five seconds from now

(maybe he addresses this, never read it)

yeah, that was kind of the point, it was a tongue-in-cheek argument why time travel is impossible

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

just watch "sneakers" again

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can-O-Raid posted:

no in that one the aliens have like 2050-level tech but they invade during world war 2

the parts i read were alright i guess but turtledove sex scenes uuuugh:gonk:

I came across them when I still had the terrible habit of 'must read entire series' so I went all the way from ww2 with space lizards to bacon and spice addicted space lizards in space in 1980. I think that ended up breaking that habit though.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

also they consulted carruth for looper but they ignored him and had bruce willis tell the audience to not worry about it

i don't think he's really talking to the audience there. bruce willis' character has excellent in-story reasons for trying to convince himself/others not to think about time travel. he's trying to convince himself that what he's doing makes sense, and he's trying to bully JGL into cooperating by handwaving the science away, when in fact both of them have a pretty good handle on how time travel works. if he actually thought about it for a single second he'd realise that there is literally no way his plan can ever end with him happy and he is just murdering children for no reason and getting mired further and further from the ideal outcome as he goes, which makes everything more horrific

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Heresiarch posted:

yeah, that was kind of the point, it was a tongue-in-cheek argument why time travel is impossible

he does this with psychic powers too.

basically his argument is psychic powers are completely unreliable or completely useless otherwise we'd be inundated by superpowered psychics

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

There definitely is a short story with a similar premise, I know what DiD is talking about but I can't recall the name. The idea was that an alien invasion fleet shows up in basically wooden ships with all sorts of old crappy tech, basically age of exploration stuff except for the fact that they have some kind of field bubble generator that lets them travel between stars/in a vacuum that is supposedly very very basic and they're shocked that we haven't discovered it despite having otherwise far more advanced technology.

here it is thanks google

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken_%28short_story%29

gently caress yeh thanks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

please do not insult such a national hero

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i'm about to watch "traveling salesman". don't really know anything about it; don't even know if it's sci-fi or not. will report back.

no don't, it's np-hard

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mr. Wynand posted:

she wasn't wearing a diaper, my immersion

i hate both clooney and roberts so loving much, but I looooooove Cuarón - only reason i watched it

roberts sorta redeamed herself with a remarkably decent performance (given the constraints of the role)

clooney... did not

dude, you realize that it is Sandra Bullock and not Julia Roberts in Gravity, right?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

axolotl farmer posted:

dude, you realize that it is Sandra Bullock and not Julia Roberts in Gravity, right?
the joke is that sandra bullock is the other julia roberts but they've diverged enough that it doesn't really work anymore

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

sandra bullock supremacy

she defeated Mozart's Ghost dammit

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Stross wrote a timetravel novella called Palimpsest - I read it late one night and was thoroughly confused by the end. If you managed better than I did;Should I go back and try again?

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

qntm posted:

he's trying to bully JGL into cooperating by handwaving the science away, when in fact both of them have a pretty good handle on how time travel works

that's why looper makes me mad. young bruce willis would have known to threaten suicide to make real bruce willis to look at his locket and force a happy ending (or at least shoot himself in the foot to make real bruce willis tip over)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

angry_keebler posted:

that's why looper makes me mad. young bruce willis would have known to threaten suicide to make real bruce willis to look at his locket and force a happy ending (or at least shoot himself in the foot to make real bruce willis tip over)

iirc he was beyond shouting distance and had only seconds to do something

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
one thing i like about looper is the idea of the butterfly effect being less of a factor in things

like, you change something and the timeline tries to preserve itself as much as possible, so cutting off someone's foot in the past doesn't radically change things in the now and everything is exactly the same except lol no foot

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

one thing i like about looper is the idea of the butterfly effect being less of a factor in things

like, you change something and the timeline tries to preserve itself as much as possible, so cutting off someone's foot in the past doesn't radically change things in the now and everything is exactly the same except lol no foot

it's actually almost exactly the same time travel model as back to the future, complete with extremity-loss, except grim as hell

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Except the Back to the Future model was moronic and only worked because it was a comedy, while Looper is just bad.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
looper is a comedy too, hth

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
looper is really good and cool

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i like that the psychics in looper are dipshits doing card and coin tricks

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066040/

quote:

Don't Deliver Us from Evil (1971)

Anne and Lore, neighbors and best friends, barely into their teens, board at a convent school where they have taken a vow to sin and to serve Satan. Anne keeps a secret diary, they read a salacious novel, they get a classmate in trouble, they spy on the nuns, they set aside their communion wafers; they make a pact of devotion. Summer vacation starts: Anne's parents leave her alone with the servants for two months at the family château. She and Lore are free to make mischief. They are cruel as well and play games of seduction. As summer ends and fall term begins, things come to a head.

Hail Satan FBI Watchlist

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
a diary? :monocle:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Dark, beautiful, erotic. Three words that barely sum up the true nature of this extraordinary tale of two young girls (Jeanne Goupil and Catherine Wagener) whose attraction to "evil" becomes a smoldering obsession. Director Joel Seria has crafted a deliberately paced exploitation masterpiece that is the thematic and sensual equal of such cinematically potent fare as "Maladolescenza" (reviewed), "To Be Twenty" (reviewed) and "Heavenly Creatures". Eager to experience as much "life" as possible, the two protagonists wreak unholy havoc in a small rural hamlet by setting fire to property, killing animals, engaging in anti-Catholic rituals, and using their naive carnal charms to seduce a string of men who all meet unfortunate fates. The seduction scenes, in particular, are very erotic, and it's unlikely they would be attempted today in this highly reactionary, less sexually permissive era.
   /
:reddit:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The seduction scenes, in particular, are very erotic, and it's unlikely they would be attempted today in this highly reactionary, less sexually permissive era.
   /
:reddit:

:eyepop:

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

blindsight is a yospos favorite. some aspects of it are quite good but there is a LOT of overindulgent crap stuffed into it.

i recommended it to a friend and she found it insultingly implausible that consciousness is a pathological phenomenon unnecessary for intelligence

but... it's a horror story. that's the monster. it only needs to be as plausible as draculas. i also don't agree but whatever we had fun talkin about it

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Usagi-Sauce posted:

i recommended it to a friend and she found it insultingly implausible that consciousness is a pathological phenomenon unnecessary for intelligence

but... it's a horror story. that's the monster. it only needs to be as plausible as draculas. i also don't agree but whatever we had fun talkin about it

I'm kind of inclined to agree with your friend but I also agree with you that its totally valid as the main conceit of the story, it didn't bother me in context, possible or not its an interesting thought. My main gripe with Blindsight is how much time he spends enamored with his various Very Special Brains, which although its all thematically relevant, amounts to a lot of telling us how smart and perceptive everyone is without ever really demonstrating it. The sperg relationship interludes were insufferable, I had to skim and skip them, which is something I never do. In short, although I loved the alien and the way he structures the whole encounter, I hate all the characters. They're silly and obnoxious.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

The ship AI is a good character.

Ship is full of neurotic weirdos? Keep 'em in line with an unspoken threat of being eaten by a vampire.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND—In an appalling incident that has sent shockwaves through the surrounding community, authorities confirmed Thursday that the decayed, dismembered remains of 15 missing hobbits were found in the attic of highly acclaimed film director Peter Jackson.

Jackson, 52, was reportedly taken into police custody immediately and is now awaiting charges.

“At this time, we can confirm that 15 halflings between the ages of 25 and eleventy-one were discovered inside the home of Peter Jackson at approximately 4 p.m. this afternoon,” said Wellington Police District Commander Stephen Jones, adding that authorities were initially called when Jackson’s neighbors complained of “a rotting odor” emanating from his home, after which officers conducted a comprehensive search of the property. “We eventually found a hidden hatch on the perpetrator’s ceiling, which was held shut by three heavy-duty locks. Once we opened the door, we came across the victims, already deceased, all of whom had the hair ripped out from the tops of their feet.”

While stressing that autopsies are still pending, Jones told reporters the hobbits appeared to have been gagged, beaten, and routinely starved, often receiving only one breakfast per day. The bodies were reportedly completely emaciated, while several were missing entire rows of teeth and covered in abrasions consistent with Hithlain rope burns.

Upon being apprehended by police, sources said Jackson, who was reportedly nearly incoherent at the time, claimed that he was “just preparing a lovely feast for his guests from the Shire” and then began shrieking that “old Odo Proudfoot is up to all sorts of mischief again.”

“From what we’ve gathered, Jackson lured these hobbits to his home with promises of pipe-weed, seed cake, and Barliman’s Best ale,” Jones said. “He then knocked them unconscious, stripped them naked, and bound their hands and feet before confining them in the windowless space above his bedroom, where they were kept alive for varying spans of time.”

“We can also confirm at this time that a number of the victims had been sexually assaulted,” Jones added.

Jones confirmed that alongside the corpses in the attic, authorities found blindfolds, whips, chains, and several Morgul-blades, as well as a long row of severed oversized feet nailed to a wall. Reportedly uncovered in a separate room of the house were hundreds of plastic bags filled with curly brown hobbit hair.

Although officials have yet to release the names of all the victims, reports indicated that among those imprisoned in Jackson’s home were Shire residents Reginard Brockhouse, 49, Myrtle Underhill, 62, Donnamira Boffin, 57, and Fredegar Smallburrow, 74. Also said to have been found was the body of Daisy Gamgee, a 30-year-old adolescent hobbit from Bag End who was reported missing by her parents this past Mid-Year’s Day, having been last seen in Bywater at the Green Dragon Inn.

Furthermore, sources said the body of one hobbit, whom investigators have yet to identify, was discovered skinned from head to toe and hung by the ankles from a 4-foot-high ceiling beam.

“We are obviously dealing with an incredibly disturbed individual here,” said Jones, adding that Jackson will be investigated in connection with the two bloodied hobbit corpses dumped in the Brandywine River last year, eventually identified as Tolman and Mirabella Grubb of Bree. “It is still unclear what drove this man to such heinous and unconscionable acts. We did, however, confiscate a personal journal from his bedside, which will perhaps provide some insight into his mind once it is translated from Adûnaic.”

Residents of Jackson’s Wellington neighborhood, meanwhile, expressed their utter shock that such a terrible tragedy could occur right under their noses.

“It’s unthinkable that something like this could happen here,” said 38-year-old accountant Allison Gaines, who lives two houses down from Jackson. “This is a quiet, friendly neighborhood, and I’ve lived here my entire life. I didn’t know Peter very well, but he would occasionally wave when I passed him on the sidewalk.”

In light of the tragedy, candlelight vigils for the victims are reportedly being organized this evening in Bucklebury, Whitfurrows, Hobbiton, and Long Cleeve. Thousands from the four Farthings are expected to be in attendance.

“That man is an absolute monster who deserves to rot in the dungeons of Dol Guldur for the rest of his life,” said 77-year-old Erling Mugwort, speaking to reporters outside his hobbit-hole in Crickhollow. “I can’t believe we used to actually welcome him here. He would come and share in our songs and stories, and the thought of that makes my stomach churn.”

“He said he loved us,” added Mugwort, grimacing as his eyes welled with tears. “He’s a very sick man.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
@HardSciFiMovies has been pretty good:

A medical officer demands to know if a coworker is out of his Vulcan mind. He is sent to racial sensitivity training by Humanoid Resources.

Teen hackers infiltrate a secret military database containing designs for a new superweapon. They deface the database with ASCII genitalia.

• Locked thread