Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of kids liking Revenge of the Nerds, I'm nearly 100% sure an episode of Clarissa Explains It All has her saying that her and her male friend (Sam?) were going to be watching it one night on VHS and it was their 'favorite movie' or something.

I'm pretty sure he was cool that they pulled a prank on the rival frat with the liquid heat, which I'm sure could have caused some severe skin damage and chemical burns.

I clearly don't remember half the horrible poo poo in this movie, but I am completely unwilling to watch it again.

Though I would understand if they told him about the jocks dressing in hoods and burning their greek letters on their lawn. People in hoods burning poo poo on your lawn is pretty scary, especially if you're black.

Unless that's a fever dream I had?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

After years of watching Revenge of the Nerds and National Lampoon's Vacation on TNT/Comedy Central, they made for some pretty awkward Blockbuster family movie nights. My dad ordered me to keep my eyes shut for a very long time while he dove for the remote during the surveillance scene. For some reason we kept watching to the end though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Another irritating movie moment, courtesy of Man of Steel.

Spoilers for the ending.

Zod's blasting away at some random family about to vaporize em, and Superman is all GAHH NOOOO and Zod's all "I'M GONNA DO IT!" and Supes goes AAAAHHHHH NOOOO and snaps his neck.

I don't have a problem with that ending. It could be better, but that's not my irritating point.

My irritation comes from the fact that his eye beams should have wavered off into some direction from getting his head snapped around. Even if it was just for a moment, they should have had some burn marks going towards the ceiling or something.

That just irritates me. The hosed up jump cuts are also weird and drag you out of the movie.

Also, in the ending of Superman 2 where Superman destroys the Fortress, they show his heat vision laser beams going back into his eyes. I don't think they'd do that. I think the laser beam thing they had going would go towards the fortress and then stop. Not slowly fade out and back into his head.

For the Man of Steel sequel, I am irrationally irritated that they are shoving 3 god damned extra characters into the movie. I dunno enough about the movie to say if it's gonna be good or bad or what, but Affleck as Batman is already kinda "eh", Kevin Smith somehow being involved with parts of it along with Frank Miller is a BIG "god dammit!" and the "let's shove every god damned character we can think of into this movie" is just lovely.

Also, I am irrationally irritated that I laugh every time I hear Coulson say "With everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old-fashioned. " cause where I grew up, that meant a hand job, and I am an immature 12 year old and still giggle at sex jokes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

After years of watching Revenge of the Nerds and National Lampoon's Vacation on TNT/Comedy Central, they made for some pretty awkward Blockbuster family movie nights. My dad ordered me to keep my eyes shut for a very long time while he dove for the remote during the surveillance scene. For some reason we kept watching to the end though.

My dad was a great enforcer of what movies he wanted us to watch as kids; Disney was fine when he wanted us out of the way, but goddamnit he would insure we grew up knowing classics. So he would have us watch a ton of Louis L'amour lovely movies and quiz us after.

One movie he demanded we all watch was White Men Can't Jump. He had never seen it before, and my brother and I were bored shitless. Adults playing basketball and talking about things, great movie. But when the sex scene came on, my dad was somehow surprised and kicked us out of the room right off. Thankfully we didn't have to go back and watch the rest.

Watching Watchmen with my mom, and that entirely unneeded sex scene that was way too long, was a bit similar.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

One movie he demanded we all watch was White Men Can't Jump. He had never seen it before, and my brother and I were bored shitless. Adults playing basketball and talking about things, great movie. But when the sex scene came on, my dad was somehow surprised and kicked us out of the room right off. Thankfully we didn't have to go back and watch the rest.

Same thing happened when my dad thought it was time my baby brother saw Terminator and forgot that there is a part where Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese are not fighting the robot and have sex (violence is okay, boobs are not).

I occasionally refer to movie sex scenes as "not fighting robots."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Who cares? What practical difference does that make? The point of the statement is that they would all be dead a little later on. The specifics on where their dead rear end souls were going didn't mean poo poo. If you want to be a real dick about it Hades isn't even right. The righteous and heroic went to Elysium.

Which he makes a reference to just after the "unleash hell" comment anyway.

"Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MindlessHavok posted:

Which he makes a reference to just after the "unleash hell" comment anyway.

"Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"

*That* line bugged the poo poo out of me, because *they'd* know that being in Elysium means you're already dead. The last clause is plainly tacked on for an audience that doesn't know what the gently caress Elysium is.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Phanatic posted:

*That* line bugged the poo poo out of me, because *they'd* know that being in Elysium means you're already dead. The last clause is plainly tacked on for an audience that doesn't know what the gently caress Elysium is.

Heck, it would even sound more natural if they switched the clauses around. "...For you're already dead, and you are in Elysium!"

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, in the ending of Superman 2 where Superman destroys the Fortress, they show his heat vision laser beams going back into his eyes. I don't think they'd do that. I think the laser beam thing they had going would go towards the fortress and then stop. Not slowly fade out and back into his head.

I haven't actually seen that movie, so I may be talking out of my rear end.

If you see a laser beam, it is because it has interacted with the air/something in the air. Furthermore, what you can see depends on the intensity of the beam, which decreases with distance. If Supermans eyeballs were slowly cooling off, rather than shutting off immediately, you would expect the point where the beam becomes invisible to move toward him with time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chainsaw McGee posted:

Same thing happened when my dad thought it was time my baby brother saw Terminator and forgot that there is a part where Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese are not fighting the robot and have sex (violence is okay, boobs are not).

Which happens to be the least gratuitous sex scene in movie history.

It's fun watching people rag on Gladiator for the language when the most irritating thing about it is the start, where Maximus takes a Roman legion into the woods and fights barbarian skirmishers using their own tactics. Had a Roman general really done that he wouldn't have lived to see the arena - he'd have been loving well crucified, and nobody would have thought it unjust.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Serious Cephalopod posted:

I clearly don't remember half the horrible poo poo in this movie, but I am completely unwilling to watch it again.

Though I would understand if they told him about the jocks dressing in hoods and burning their greek letters on their lawn. People in hoods burning poo poo on your lawn is pretty scary, especially if you're black.

I...Holy poo poo I forgot about that. Seriously, this movie is absolutely reprehensible.

(Fun Fact: The surveillance scene was the first place I ever saw a vagina in my life)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serious Cephalopod posted:

No hoods, there is just a flaming "NERDS" sign in their lawn. It is, of course, 100% supposed to equate to with the Klu Klux Klan because there is literally not a single redeeming character in that entire shitfest of a film except maybe characters who have a single line. Even the boy's nerdy father is a total pervert creep in the like 45 seconds of screen time he gets.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Someone pointed this out to me once, and now I can't unhear it. Does anyone else think almost every line Bill Paxton delivers in a movie sound like it has been ADR'd? It seems really noticeable in Predator 2 and True Lies. I know ADR happens in every movie ever, but it seems to happen alot to Bill Paxton.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I was under the impression that pretty much every line in every film is ADR.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ducttape posted:

I haven't actually seen that movie, so I may be talking out of my rear end.

If you see a laser beam, it is because it has interacted with the air/something in the air. Furthermore, what you can see depends on the intensity of the beam, which decreases with distance. If Supermans eyeballs were slowly cooling off, rather than shutting off immediately, you would expect the point where the beam becomes invisible to move toward him with time.

That does make sense. It just bugs me.

Plus he has a total :stare: face going on at the time. Doesn't help matters.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Another irritating movie moment, courtesy of Man of Steel.

Spoilers for the ending.

Zod's blasting away at some random family about to vaporize em, and Superman is all GAHH NOOOO and Zod's all "I'M GONNA DO IT!" and Supes goes AAAAHHHHH NOOOO and snaps his neck.

I don't have a problem with that ending. It could be better, but that's not my irritating point.

My irritation comes from the fact that his eye beams should have wavered off into some direction from getting his head snapped around. Even if it was just for a moment, they should have had some burn marks going towards the ceiling or something.

That just irritates me. The hosed up jump cuts are also weird and drag you out of the movie.

Man of Steel: Why the gently caress didn't he cover his eyes or PICK HIM UP AND FLY OUT OF THERE? Hell, for that matter, he already knew Zod was a dickhead before Zod understood his powers, so WHY THE gently caress DID HE TELL HIM HOW TO CONTROL THEM?

These are rational irritations with that lovely, lovely movie, though.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Kruller posted:

Man of Steel: Why the gently caress didn't he cover his eyes or PICK HIM UP AND FLY OUT OF THERE? Hell, for that matter, he already knew Zod was a dickhead before Zod understood his powers, so WHY THE gently caress DID HE TELL HIM HOW TO CONTROL THEM?

These are rational irritations with that lovely, lovely movie, though.

I loved that bit during the Smallville fight: Clark is getting his rear end handed to him the entire fight and when he finally has an advantage he loving explains to Zod how to overcome his only weakness

Speaking of Smallville the product placement during that scene is obnoxious. The worst offender is the lingering shot of Sears as the scene ends. That poo poo felt like it went on forever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JT Smiley posted:

I loved that bit during the Smallville fight: Clark is getting his rear end handed to him the entire fight and when he finally has an advantage he loving explains to Zod how to overcome his only weakness

Speaking of Smallville the product placement during that scene is obnoxious. The worst offender is the lingering shot of Sears as the scene ends. That poo poo felt like it went on forever.

Could be worse. Could have been Stride Gum.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
At the end of Return of the King the four hobbits are in the hobbit pub enjoying their beers. Except that Sam is holding his like a loving hipster! Hold it by the handle like everyone else, thats what its there for, you rear end!

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Oops dbl post

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
If we're complaining about Man of Steel, then one thing that irked me was Clark being able to go toe to toe with kryptonian soldiers. Never showed he was a scraper at any point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What annoyed me most about Man of Steel is that literally the only point of Lois' character is to have someone to go around exposition-ing back and forth with the other non-Superman characters, so that the audience is able to follow all of the dumb poo poo that happens and not question it. She even follows Clark around doing the same thing back and forth with him once her character is established, specifically just because the plot dictates it.

Man of Steel was a poo poo movie and I regret paying movie ticket price to go see it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Gaunab posted:

If we're complaining about Man of Steel, then one thing that irked me was Clark being able to go toe to toe with kryptonian soldiers. Never showed he was a scraper at any point.

Didn't he get his rear end kicked pretty much most of the time?. He landed some hits on the bad guys but only won the fights because the suits of the other guys broke. I'm not sure, i was pretty drunk when i watched it...
Its not like it matters who gets hit how many times anyway as everyone is pretty much invincible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly that's my problem with Superman in general. He's like a fuckin' Twilight vampire these days. You can't kill him unless he's basically completely powerless, and he's not completely powerless unless you've got some kryptonite, which he can situationally just kinda ignore if he feels like it.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
Superman is just a bad and uninteresting character unless you fundamentally alter him and make him a different hero that is not Superman.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Present posted:

HBO's Rome did it really well in that respect. The syntax and specific words used were different from the way people speak today, it gave the show more authenticity, especially with how dumb the plebs sounded compared to the patricians.
Most of the main characters were plebeian. Cicero, Cato, Antony, Brutus, Octavian... it's a long list.

Rome did make effective use of received pronunciation vs. everyday lower class pronunciation. A great deal of dramatic license, though.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

John Big Booty posted:

Most of the main characters were plebeian. Cicero, Cato, Antony, Brutus, Octavian... it's a long list.

Rome did make effective use of received pronunciation vs. everyday lower class pronunciation. A great deal of dramatic license, though.

That's not exactly correct. Most of those people were born plebian but spent a lot of time running around with patricians, and might as well have been patricians. Except for Brutus, he was straight up old money patrician. It's a safe bet that these people did not sound anything like a random prole off the street.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
So today I saw Getaway.

It gives me a good excuse to talk about the most annoying loving thing: fast cuts.
There was a rather nice shot in the movie from a car's eye view of a chase. It lasted about 45 seconds and was the longest take in the film.
In the rest of the movie no more than 7 seconds lapsed between cuts. I went through 6 minutes of 3-second cuts, which is not so bad when compared with the 5 and 6 second cuts that dominated the film. The overall effect was jarring.

The real tragedy is that Getaway is a car chase movie - in all but maybe 8 minutes of runtime the lead characters are inside a car. However, the non-stop jump cuts to bizarre GoPro angles and facial close-ups disconnect the action so badly that every moment of the film is boring. The various cars and motorcycles may well be in another state, they seem so distant. At one point Selena Gomez screams "Oh no are you crazy don't do that!" immediately prior to Hawke driving off a ramp?/crazy obstacle - but the moment is more confusing than dramatic because we were never shown where in the gently caress he is driving. Towards a cliff? A zany collection of swinging axes? We don't know because the jumping cuts never flitted in that direction, and honestly the multiple cuts during the stunt made it impossible to tell what happened anyway.

The basic conceit of the movie was to provide entertaining car chases, and it failed to deliver even the most basic and simple of action staples.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I saw Getaway too! And yeah it was pretty crap. I was irrationally irritated by Selena Gomez because her face is annoying and her character was a walking (passenger-side-sitting) ultracliche. The fast-cuts made me dizzy as they often do when I watch movies on the usual big screen. I figured it would be quick but jesus.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:19 on Dec 6, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FLEXBONER posted:

Superman is just a bad and uninteresting character unless you fundamentally alter him and make him a different hero that is not Superman.

Anyone who's at all interested in Superman (or super heroes in general) should watch Max Landis's short film The Death and Return of Superman.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

Didn't he get his rear end kicked pretty much most of the time?. He landed some hits on the bad guys but only won the fights because the suits of the other guys broke. I'm not sure, i was pretty drunk when i watched it...
Its not like it matters who gets hit how many times anyway as everyone is pretty much invincible.

He did get his rear end handed to him a lot in the movie.

Supes is a great character, but writers who understand why he's a good character are few and far between.

It's weird, but Superman and Zod wreck about the same amount of a city that a 2 Kaiju and a Jaeger do in Pacific Rim. I'm not counting the world machine thing though, just Supes and Zod wailing on each other.

It could have been a much better movie, but it was pretty good for a Superman movie. Remember Superman 3 and the computer of doom, or Superman 4 and the mullet of doom?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Tiggum posted:

Anyone who's at all interested in Superman (or super heroes in general) should watch Max Landis's short film The Death and Return of Superman.

That guy's level of smugness about Superman is irrationally irritating.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pneub posted:

That guy's level of smugness about Superman is irrationally irritating.

My irrationally irritating movie moment is when the dickbag relatives of famous people get handed a directing gig because of nepotism. Especially when said famous person killed two kids due to his own shitheadedness.

I liked Chronicle but everything I've seen Max Landis in makes me want to punch him right in the face. Or at least point out the similarities between Chronicle and Akira because apparently that makes him flip the gently caress out.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

LeJackal posted:

It gives me a good excuse to talk about the most annoying loving thing: fast cuts.
There was a rather nice shot in the movie from a car's eye view of a chase. It lasted about 45 seconds and was the longest take in the film.
In the rest of the movie no more than 7 seconds lapsed between cuts. I went through 6 minutes of 3-second cuts, which is not so bad when compared with the 5 and 6 second cuts that dominated the film. The overall effect was jarring.

I don't like quick cutting either, but it's come out of a change in audience attention span. Go back and watch a movie from the fifties, the cuts are so long it almost becomes uncomfortable because of what we're conditioned to today.

There's a scene in some Denzel Washington thing, Man on Fire I think? There's a three-minute sequence that goes well over 100 cuts. We used to show it to student editors and ask them to count the cuts in the sequence (you can't).

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Slim Killington posted:

I don't like quick cutting either, but it's come out of a change in audience attention span. Go back and watch a movie from the fifties, the cuts are so long it almost becomes uncomfortable because of what we're conditioned to today.

I suppose my love of old films from that period ruined me from childhood, because I like long cuts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite longer cuts are ones where characters walk through doors or w/e and the camera follows them through the wall (complete with cross-section of the wall they're passing through). I think the Naked Gun series even did a gag about that where the wall turned out to be fake and they just walked around it.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

LeJackal posted:

I suppose my love of old films from that period ruined me from childhood, because I like long cuts.

I do too, but I find it depends on context and the style of film. Westerns, for example, would be ruined with quick cutting. Hitchcock's scenes seem to drag on uncomfortably at times, but at least his cuts are deliberate. I think there's both good and bad examples of both.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I liked Chronicle but everything I've seen Max Landis in makes me want to punch him right in the face.

I'm kind of the opposite. I like Max Landis (from what I've seen of him on YouTube) but Chronicle really didn't do anything for me at all.

Slim Killington posted:

I don't think it's about attention span, it's about conveying information. Modern cinema is full of conventions that we're trained to recognise from a very young age, and older films don't have that luxury because they had to define the conventions, so modern films can condense things a hell of a lot more than older ones can. Because older films had to work with an audience that was already used to different formats (novels, radio plays, etc.) and build from there, but modern films are aimed at an audience that has known cinema all their life. And that condenses even further with stuff that's aimed at a media-savvy audience used to cinema and TV conventions.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I really preferred when the Matrix was big and everyone was doing slow motion action. It was way better than it now with any fighting just looks like everyone is flailing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

My irrationally irritating movie moment is when the dickbag relatives of famous people get handed a directing gig because of nepotism. Especially when said famous person killed two kids due to his own shitheadedness.

I liked Chronicle but everything I've seen Max Landis in makes me want to punch him right in the face. Or at least point out the similarities between Chronicle and Akira because apparently that makes him flip the gently caress out.

Isn't he supposed to be irritating in that video? He's pouring scotch from a plastic bottle and brooding over superman. That's legit hilarious.

I get what you mean about him other times. Chronicle stunned me, the only film to give me that "You Will Believe A Man Can Fly" moment, but the stuff Landis planned for the sequel just seemed laughably bad.

The only good thing about Man Of Steel was how they avoided blurring too much in the fight scenes. They felt properly inhuman, not just humans sped up to super speeds. Instead of looney-toons style spinning legs the Kryptonians looked like they were just pushing off the ground and skidding to a halt. I really dug how comic bookey it felt, like they were switching poses between panels.

• Locked thread