Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mystes
May 31, 2006

kletsgo posted:

Hello fellow people making it in Japan! I have a question involving buying a digital piano in Japan and getting it back to America. If I've posted this in the wrong place, I will remove this.

My reasons for buying the piano are that I'm looking for a way to keep up my piano skills for the next two years I'm in Japan. I've already been in Japan for one year, and I miss playing the piano a lot. I used to play it every day back in the states, and not having a piano to play has made it harder to cope when I feel down. I want to get a nice digital piano with good resistance so I can easily transition to acoustic pianos without having any issues with finger strength (having a digital piano would also be a plus since I don't want to disturb my neighbors at my apartment).

I would like to get this piano: http://www.roland.co.jp/products/jp/HP508/

The store in Osaka that I was going to buy the piano at said that long-term use of the piano in America, even with a power converter, would damage the piano. The piano is 100V (50/60Hz) and at maximum usage of the volume and other features would take 85 watts.

I will be moving back to California in a little less than two years. I've looked at power converters online, but I've come across a few people saying that long-term usage of power converters is a bad idea for sensitive electronics. However, my Japanese friend has claimed that what she has heard from other Japanese people who have brought their digital pianos to the states has been positive and that power converters are doable.

Does anyone know anything about the effects of using power converters between Japan and the US? Since the piano is pricey, I would like it to last for years after I move back to America. Is a good power converter a feasible long-term solution?

Thanks for all your input!
Power converters aside, that thing is huge and weighs 80kg. How could it possibly be worth it to ship it to the US?

Edit: Lol, assuming the size isn't a problem, you could send an 80kg package to the US via Fedex for 184000 yen. I don't know if any of the cheaper shipping services will even handle packages that heavy.

Just do what Pompous Rhombus says and sell it before you leave. Even if you're selling it at a substantial discount, it will be cheaper to buy a new one in the US than to ship it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am OK posted:

If you have time, get the shink to Himeji instead. Osaka castle grounds are lovely, the castle itself is pointless. Its just a giant Leopalace. Himeji castle is in a big box at the moment, but the grounds are even lovelier than Osaka and you can still go into the battlements, which are AWESOME. If you like history you will not regret this at all, trust me.

If you want to see shrines, Kyoto is 35 mins away on the train. Go there instead. Osaka is basically girl bars, food and shops.

I don't have a ton of time unfortunately, just three and a half days. I didn't realize how close Kyoto is. I've been to a couple Shinto shrines before, I just like wandering around in them a bit. They don't need to be super incredible, though that's always nice. I'd like to go to Kyoto sometime but is just a short day trip worth it?

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes
How easy is it for foreigners to sell/trade in at stores in Tokyo? I'm picking up ~8kUSD (retail value) worth of camera equipment I left with someone on a previous trip and don't really want to bring it all back with me since it'll blow my luggage allowance. I'm dying to get rid of it and as much as I'd want some decent bank on the gear (stuff is an easy 5k second hand, just moves slowly) I'm happy to be lowballed and have it off my hands as long as I get at least a little pocket money. I heard MAP Camera Shinjuku buys gear but I'm not sure whether being a foreigner on a holiday visa is going to cause any issues there. Also hugely circumstantial question I know, but what sort of trade in prices can I hope for on big ticket items like this? Even completely offhanded anecdotal answers are appreciated. Any other stores that will buy my crap? It's a high end professional tripod setup in case anyone was wondering.

Please let me know if this belongs in the LAN thread or something, it just occurred to me recently that I need to work out what I'm doing with this stuff.

Also @Zmcnulty I'll be in touch really soon, thanks again.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't have a ton of time unfortunately, just three and a half days. I didn't realize how close Kyoto is. I've been to a couple Shinto shrines before, I just like wandering around in them a bit. They don't need to be super incredible, though that's always nice. I'd like to go to Kyoto sometime but is just a short day trip worth it?

Yeah sure, I took a day trip from Kyoto to Osaka and it was really fast and easy.

If you're down for a bit longer trip you could hit Nara in one day if you wanna see the deer.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Grand fromage you should abandon Japan and come to Hong Kong instead. Get a tonne of cooking supplies, eat Thai food, fresh seafood and hook you up with a decent mattress and room.

I can also get you your Japanese fix out of your system. We have ginza bairin for tonkatsu, a few almost identical tsukiji sushi places , 24 hour ichi ran ramen. And a few cheap Japanese curry places.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really wanted to go to Hong Kong but the plane ticket alone was like my entire budget for Osaka. Maybe in the summer.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Grand Fromage posted:

If you research beforehand it's more than worth it. Like half of Tokyo travels to Kyoto once a year to get their ye olde culture fix. From Osaka it takes such little time that you really may as well.

If you do go, make sure you go to the Inari shrine. It owns so hard.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

I am OK posted:

If you do go, make sure you go to the Inari shrine. It owns so hard.

The Inari shrine is the only remaining to visit place in my list for when I find myself in Kyoto or have a day free in nearby Osaka. A combination of a lack of time and too lazy when I was in Kyoto just last month (and missing out on the peak autumn colours by just one week, goddamnit!) meant I had to give it a miss.

Next time I guess.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

caberham posted:

Grand fromage you should abandon Japan and come to Hong Kong instead. Get a tonne of cooking supplies, eat Thai food, fresh seafood and hook you up with a decent mattress and room.

I can also get you your Japanese fix out of your system. We have ginza bairin for tonkatsu, a few almost identical tsukiji sushi places , 24 hour ichi ran ramen. And a few cheap Japanese curry places.

Beware, however, that caberham will likely make you listen to 24 herb ALL DAY.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

diddy kongs feet posted:

How easy is it for foreigners to sell/trade in at stores in Tokyo? I'm picking up ~8kUSD (retail value) worth of camera equipment I left with someone on a previous trip and don't really want to bring it all back with me since it'll blow my luggage allowance. I'm dying to get rid of it and as much as I'd want some decent bank on the gear (stuff is an easy 5k second hand, just moves slowly) I'm happy to be lowballed and have it off my hands as long as I get at least a little pocket money. I heard MAP Camera Shinjuku buys gear but I'm not sure whether being a foreigner on a holiday visa is going to cause any issues there. Also hugely circumstantial question I know, but what sort of trade in prices can I hope for on big ticket items like this? Even completely offhanded anecdotal answers are appreciated. Any other stores that will buy my crap? It's a high end professional tripod setup in case anyone was wondering.

Stores gotta make money, so don't expect to get great offers.

How heavy is it? Surely the excess baggage wouldn't run more than a few hundred dollars, right? Probably a lot less hassle and more money for you to sell it when you get home.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Stumbling Block posted:

The Inari shrine is the only remaining to visit place in my list for when I find myself in Kyoto or have a day free in nearby Osaka. A combination of a lack of time and too lazy when I was in Kyoto just last month (and missing out on the peak autumn colours by just one week, goddamnit!) meant I had to give it a miss.

Next time I guess.

Fushimi Inari is definitely worth it, and if you find them I left a pair of Oakley Whiskers somewhere up there. Thanks!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I know Japan is cash mainly, but I really really really want to get out of Korea for a few days. How terrible an idea is it to go to Osaka with a card? I can scrape together some cash but if I could go at least 50/50 on cash/card that'd be fantastic, since I don't get my yearly bonus until after vacation for obvious reasons.

My travel basically involves eating all the things and wandering around looking at castles and museums and stuff. I had cash when I went to Tokyo so I didn't try to charge ever.

What kind of card do you have? I think I've mentioned this before, but I found that a lot of restaurants only take JCB or some other type of esoteric card. English menu places might accept other cards though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

What kind of card do you have? I think I've mentioned this before, but I found that a lot of restaurants only take JCB or some other type of esoteric card. English menu places might accept other cards though.

An American Visa card. I managed to squeeze aside enough cash that I think I'll be okay, even eating literally constantly as I plan to do.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
To continue the theme of Korea goons going to Japan in the winter...

My husband and I have booked our flights and will be in Japan from February 15-28. We fly in and out of Osaka. Our original plan was to spend about a week based in Kyoto, fly to Tokyo, hang out there for the rest of the time, and then fly back to Osaka the day of our flight back to Korea. Now, however, I'm starting to think maybe we should try to see a little more of the country. I've been to Kyoto before (about 11 days with a Buddhism class in college), but my husband has not been to Japan at all.

With our timeframe, would there be any cost-effective way to see more? I can't really see a way to make a JR-pass make sense, but I would welcome any suggestions (we would both prefer trains to flying if price were not an issue). Any recommendations? We like temples, food, and public bathing. We also like being outside and active.

I'd appreciate any advice. I've been trying to research and plan, but I keep getting overwhelmed by information. Thank you!

erobadapazzi fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 7, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

erobadapazzi posted:

To continue the theme of Korea goons going to Japan in the winter...

My husband and I have booked our flights and will be in Japan from February 15-28. We fly in and out of Osaka. Our original plan was to spend about a week based in Kyoto, fly to Tokyo, hang out there for the rest of the time, and then fly back to Osaka the day of our flight back to Korea. Now, however, I'm starting to think maybe we should try to see a little more of the country. I've been to Kyoto before (about 11 days with a Buddhism class in college), but my husband has not been to Japan at all.

With our timeframe, would there be any cost-effective way to see more? I can't really see a way to make a JR-pass make sense, but I would welcome any suggestions (we would both prefer trains to flying if price were not an issue). Any recommendations? We like temples, food, and public bathing. We also like being outside and active.

I'd appreciate any advice. I've been trying to research and plan, but I keep getting overwhelmed by information. Thank you!

If you're going to fly, take Skymark since it's probably the cheapest by far: skymark.co.jp

You might also want to consider taking night buses instead of flights or trains, it's the cheapest way to get around.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Nooooo after a night bus you spend the whole next day recovering and so waste it. Unless you're like 18 and can deal with it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Is there an reason for the aversion to a rail pass? Because it sounds like it's exactly what you need.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
To be honest, I just wasn't sure if we could work out our schedule to have a 7-day pass be cost-effective. What would you guys suggest as a good 12-day itinerary, starting and ending in Osaka, giving us time in Kyoto, Tokyo, and maybe one other destination? The suggestions I have seen all seem to involve making a one-way trip. I guess I worry that if we have a 7-day pass we will feel like we have to move around all the time to get our money's worth.

And, as for the night buses, we're definitely too old to do that now.

EDIT: I should add that part of the initial motivation for flying was that we can get round-trip Osaka-Tokyo tickets for under $150 (and that's for both of our tickets) on Peach. Maybe I'm just looking for reassurance that we won't feel like we're missing out on anything by only basing ourselves in Kyoto and Tokyo.

erobadapazzi fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 7, 2013

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Kyoto and Tokyo are the best two places to see imo. They represent the two different sides of Japan. Kobe is really cool too and you can see everything in 2 days, max. That's more worthwhile than Osaka if you ask me.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

I am OK posted:

Nooooo after a night bus you spend the whole next day recovering and so waste it. Unless you're like 18 and can deal with it.

Yeah, that has always been my experience. In Southeast Asia some backpackers buy cheeky Valium and pop one of those to smooth the ride, but not so much an option here.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Leaving for Japan tomorrow! Will be good to be back after a year and a half away. Just for two weeks though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I took a night bus from Shiretoko to Sapporo in winter, sitting all the way in front near the door and at some point the driver took a break and opened the door at a gas station, and it was like -20 degrees and a cold draft nearly froze my toes off. Generally they are okay though I think, though it requires some sleeping skills.

kletsgo
Sep 14, 2011

HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

Shut up baby I know!
Thanks so much everyone for your input! After reading through all the replies, I decided to just buy the piano and resell it when I leave. The shop even offered to help me find a good deal for it at a secondhand shop when I leave. :)

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Hello soon-to-be-fellow Japan goons! I'm sitting in LAX right now waiting for my flight to Narita. I'm doing the standard English teacher gig after a year teaching in Korea and a few months home. I'll be in Saitama prefecture, and I'm excited to get started. I just spent the past few days with my family- it was my grandfather's 90th, and I got to hear a great deal about his missionary/teaching work in Japan after the war, and I'm hoping I'll hold up the family tradition- I'm the 5th generation to live and work in East Asia.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

Rogue 7 posted:

Hello soon-to-be-fellow Japan goons! I'm sitting in LAX right now waiting for my flight to Narita. I'm doing the standard English teacher gig after a year teaching in Korea and a few months home. I'll be in Saitama prefecture, and I'm excited to get started. I just spent the past few days with my family- it was my grandfather's 90th, and I got to hear a great deal about his missionary/teaching work in Japan after the war, and I'm hoping I'll hold up the family tradition- I'm the 5th generation to live and work in East Asia.

What city? I know some parts of Saitama quite well.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Okegawa. I puttered around on Google Maps and it looks quite nice, especially compared to the city I was in in Korea (Pyeongtaek is kind of a shithole, but there were good people there)

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

Rogue 7 posted:

Okegawa. I puttered around on Google Maps and it looks quite nice, especially compared to the city I was in in Korea (Pyeongtaek is kind of a shithole, but there were good people there)

I can't say much about Okegawa but I have been to the surrounding cities and it is a nice place. Depending on how close you are to the train station you can get to Tokyo easily in about an hour (for goon meat). The next city, Ageo, is close and modern so you can get most stuff and Saitama City is really foreigner friendly. I worked there for 3 years.

Line chat :getin:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Ugh, Safari somehow ate my original message:

Is there a website that amalgamates local festivals/events/etc around Japan? (Preferably in English, can deal with Japanese.) I'm planning a roadtrip next summer from Kyushu to Hokkaido and back, and thought I ought to start looking to see if there's anything I should structure my itinerary around. Tentative dates are from July 20th - August 23rd or thereabouts.

On the list so far:
-Jesus's burial site in Aomori
-Shikoku Henro (just on my motorbike, don't have time to walk it). Anything else on Shikoku I should check out?
-Monkey waiter restaurant in Utsunomiya, Tochigi-ken
-Yakushima
-Usagishima in Hiroshima (if I haven't gotten there already)
-Houshi Onsen in Gunma (not actually crazy about onsen, but looked pretty cool). Maybe the big spa place in Osaka.
-Hokkaido: Rebun island, probably a bunch of riding around/camping/staying at Rider's Houses. Supposed to be very good for camping in summer, I'm a little concerned the rest of the country is gonna be kinda hot at night.

I know most of you are concentrated in Tokyo, but if you know of other interesting stuff around Japan, I'd love more recommendations. (Also, if you've got a floor you'd be willing to let me crash on for a night). I've done Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, and Hiroshima already, but I'll probably be going back to shoot stuff with a less-lovely camera.

Generally aiming for stuff that's free/inexpensive to do. My interests are pretty broad: nature-y stuff, history, eating weird food, cool urban stuff, abandoned buildings... uh, basically anything but anime or video games. I'm a pretty keen photographer, so stuff that'd be interesting to take photos of is a plus.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 9, 2013

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Jesus was buried in Japan, eh?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

WarpedNaba posted:

Jesus was buried in Japan, eh?

Supposedly!

riderkick
May 7, 2007

You can use this as a starting point (http://www.japan-guide.com/). You can use the map to navigate to specific prefectures and get a look at some of things going on.

If you can handle some Japanese most cities/prefectures will have a travel site. For example here is Aomori's:
http://www.pref.aomori.lg.jp/soshiki/kkokusai/shinkanko/monthly_event.html

Some of the larger tourist locations will have English sites like Kamakura:
http://en.kamakura-info.jp/

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Tenjin Matsuri is in Osaka on July 24th and 25th. It's supposedly one of the biggest ones in Japan. I had a lot of fun when I went to it at least.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm planning a roadtrip next summer from Kyushu to Hokkaido and back

Just some ideas from me. You've probably already been to several:
-Seconding Yakushima
-Miyajima
-see my previous post for Osaka/Kobe stuff
-Oze National Park, Fukiware falls
-Metropolitan Area Outer Underground Discharge Channel
-Zao National Park
-Otaru

For the monkey izakaya, make sure you call in advance since the monkeys get days off and so does the izakaya. I'm 0 for 2 myself :(
Might as well stop by Nikko too.

Onsen get their own category, not sure how interested you are:
-Yufuin or Beppu (not both)
-Gero Onsen
-Dogo Onsen
-Arima Onsen
-Kusatsu Onsen
-Takaragawa Onsen
-Kinugawa Onsen
-Atami Onsen

Places/things on my own list to visit:
-Gozan Okuribi (August 16th) http://www.kyokanko.or.jp/okuribi/
-Terraced rice fields somewhere, these ones in Nagasaki look nice.
-Daisetsuzan National Park
-Hakodate
-Naoshima
-One of those "industrial park at night" tours
-Takeda Castle (Googling this one led me to this site which looks quite useful if you're looking for more castles)

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 9, 2013

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

Rogue 7 posted:

I lived in Okegawa during my year in the JET program in 06-07. There are a few places to go shopping I guess, you'll definitely want a bike unless you don't mind walking. You can get to Ageo like Rabite said, and Urawa is close too, home of the Reds soccer team. I never went to a game but sometimes if I happened to be walking by a bar and there were a ton of people in Red shirts shouting at a TV I'd stop in and absorb the atmosphere. That was fun.
Omiya is also easily reached by train, and it's gotten more developed even since I lived in Saitama. The train line itself gets you into Tokyo proper rather conveniently.

I hope you enjoy it!

Saitama gets laughed at by Tokyoites and Yokohamans for being dasai or having nothing or whatever or just being a bedroom prefecture whose only good point is being close to Tokyo, but it's a good place to live (except Chichibu probably? Just joshin') and I loved my time living there. I volunteered at an orphanage near the Tochigi border for a few months 10 years ago and then lived in Saitama (Okegawa and then Kawaguchi) until a few years ago when I finally moved to Tokyo. I think it's one of those areas that is a good balance of what it's like to live in Japan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ugh, Safari somehow ate my original message:

Is there a website that amalgamates local festivals/events/etc around Japan? (Preferably in English, can deal with Japanese.) I'm planning a roadtrip next summer from Kyushu to Hokkaido and back, and thought I ought to start looking to see if there's anything I should structure my itinerary around. Tentative dates are from July 20th - August 23rd or thereabouts.

There'll be a lot of festivals around OBON (2nd week of August.) Japan Guide has an imcomplete list of festivals.

If you're in Shikoku in August I'd definitely see Awa Odori in Tokushima, usually at the same time as Yosakoi in Kochi. Shikoku 88 temples will probably take 1-2 weeks so you might as well overlap with that.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

So what IS good about Saitama, besides being next to Tokyo? What kind of balance are you talking about? Hell I'd probably live in Chiba or Tochigi before Saitama.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

zmcnulty posted:

So what IS good about Saitama, besides being next to Tokyo? What kind of balance are you talking about? Hell I'd probably live in Chiba or Tochigi before Saitama.

Easy access to Gunma! Wife's family is there and she's still technically a teacher there
But seriously, it's not too bad and a it's pretty cheap. Anything further north than Ageo or so is a loving wasteland to be avoided at all costs, though :v:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

zmcnulty posted:

I was only there for 3 months, but I found it a relaxing place to be, being rural, but not far from a few cities or a Beisia or something like that. There are a few really nice gardens/other nature spots as well.

I liked it well enough to put it as first choice on my JET app at least.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
A previous girlfriend of mine lived in Toro, and hanging out there actually changed my opinion of Saitama a fair bit; it's actually a pretty nice place to live I'd say. The problem is going to and from the city sucks hugely. Trains are long and crowded and overall bullshit. If there were like twice the trains and the commute was less crowded it would be cool, but as is it's personally not worth it for me. I'm at the point in my life where I'm more inclined to live out of a tiny expensive box, as long as I can walk to school/work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pompous Rhombus posted:

-Hokkaido: Rebun island, probably a bunch of riding around/camping/staying at Rider's Houses. Supposed to be very good for camping in summer, I'm a little concerned the rest of the country is gonna be kinda hot at night.

I've always wanted to go to Rebun too, but also consider Shiretoko, best place I ever went.

• Locked thread