Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
I know, like, nothing about the smaller carriers. I'm sure this is a question that has come up before, but this thread is substantial and I don't have search.

I had a three-year contract with Telus, which ended in September, and I've been month-to-month on a plan that doesn't exist anymore. I'm thinking of jumping ship to Koodo. I live in Southern Ontario. I do use long distance from time to time, and I do travel out-of-province / out-of-country a couple times a year. What would be the recommended carrier? Right now, I'm still using a 3-year-old HTC Desire. I most certainly need to upgrade my phone, but clearly, I can survive without the best of the best (I also know little about my phone options in general, though :downs:).

Also, does anyone have any experience with Telus' "Loyalty Service"? If so, what could I reasonably expect them to offer me? Anything worthwhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Alain Perdrix posted:

I know, like, nothing about the smaller carriers. I'm sure this is a question that has come up before, but this thread is substantial and I don't have search.

I had a three-year contract with Telus, which ended in September, and I've been month-to-month on a plan that doesn't exist anymore. I'm thinking of jumping ship to Koodo. I live in Southern Ontario. I do use long distance from time to time, and I do travel out-of-province / out-of-country a couple times a year. What would be the recommended carrier? Right now, I'm still using a 3-year-old HTC Desire. I most certainly need to upgrade my phone, but clearly, I can survive without the best of the best (I also know little about my phone options in general, though :downs:).

Also, does anyone have any experience with Telus' "Loyalty Service"? If so, what could I reasonably expect them to offer me? Anything worthwhile?

If you have pretty modest needs, travel occasionally, and don't expect a new iPhone at a subsidized price every year, you'll almost certainly be better off with Koodo (or Fido). Whenever you are comparing, work out the total cost of the contract including the handset (whether you go subsidized, full price on your own, or with a tab).

You won't be "jumping ship" in any meaningful sense though - Koodo is entirely a creation of Telus. It's a bit like how Honda created Acura as a separate brand, except in the other direction (downmarket, not upmarket).

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Lexicon posted:

You won't be "jumping ship" in any meaningful sense though - Koodo is entirely a creation of Telus. It's a bit like how Honda created Acura as a separate brand, except in the other direction (downmarket, not upmarket).

Right, I forgot that little fact. Thanks for the advice!

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
MTS has the Samsung Note 3 on sale for $150 off on Friday. I'm due for a new phone, but I'm not sure if I should get it on Friday for $150 off or wait until after December 2 when the new cell phone laws come into effect.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Asking for a friend here: With the new code of conduct coming into effect soon, if she already has a 3 year contract, will the "you can now cancel with no penalty after 2 years" part apply to hers? It's a personal/non-business plan through Rogers.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Asking for a friend here: With the new code of conduct coming into effect soon, if she already has a 3 year contract, will the "you can now cancel with no penalty after 2 years" part apply to hers? It's a personal/non-business plan through Rogers.

I highly doubt it. These things are never retroactive, because the presumption is that it was an agreeable contract to both parties back when it was signed.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not retroactive.

Koth posted:

MTS has the Samsung Note 3 on sale for $150 off on Friday. I'm due for a new phone, but I'm not sure if I should get it on Friday for $150 off or wait until after December 2 when the new cell phone laws come into effect.

Ask MTS to be sure, but I'm pretty sure all carriers have applied the new laws already. December 2nd was just the due date.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lexicon posted:

I highly doubt it. These things are never retroactive, because the presumption is that it was an agreeable contract to both parties back when it was signed.

OilSlick posted:

It's not retroactive.

Thanks!

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

OilSlick posted:

It's not retroactive.

Ask MTS to be sure, but I'm pretty sure all carriers have applied the new laws already. December 2nd was just the due date.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I contacted them and they have applied the new laws.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So, between the Black Friday sale and my Fido Dollars I just picked up a Nexus 5 for a grand total of ~$61, taxes and upgrade fees in. Plus, I locked in my excellent $39 450 minutes/600mB data plan for another 30 months.

Black Friday is awesome, yo

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Koth posted:

FS and BB have it for $99 today and tomorrow, $200 off. Unfortunately they don't service MTS but it's just a matter of time before they go under or get bought anyway - especially now that their AllStream deal soured.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've convinced a friend to get the Nexus 5 at the $0 Black Friday price, will it be unlocked? I was under the impression that Nexus phones are factory unlocked, and all my searching confirms this, but the guy at Cellcom said it would be carrier locked.

e: Rogers *611 confirms it's unlocked too, but Cellcom continues to insist it's locked.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 29, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've convinced a friend to get the Nexus 5 at the $0 Black Friday price, will it be unlocked? I was under the impression that Nexus phones are factory unlocked, and all my searching confirms this, but the guy at Cellcom said it would be carrier locked.

e: Rogers *611 confirms it's unlocked too, but Cellcom continues to insist it's locked.

Cellcom is dumb. Nexus phones are unlocked.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grack posted:

Cellcom is dumb. Nexus phones are unlocked.

That was my assumption too. I even called 3 different Cellcom stores though. Only one of them the guy said he wasn't sure, the other 2 were adamant it was locked. I guess this is one of those few times I should trust Rogers, their support guys on *611 all knew what was up.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Check out Black Friday deals guys. They've added extra data to some plans and reduced the prices of select phones. Too many to list but it's the closest contract prices have come to being reasonable in a long time. Most should be on for the duration of the weekend. If you're on the fence about upgrading, now's the time to look into it!

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Yeah if you're going to get a contract there isn't a better time. I love hearing people say they're waiting when the phones are almost all $0 and the plans (especially in SK/MB) are way better than they normally are.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Currently on Rogers and my plan includes Name Display. My contract is finished next month and looking to make a switch. Are there any other carrier that offers Name Display? It's fairly nice feature for me and would be hard to give up.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My uncle's Fido contract is ending, and they're offering him a Moto X if he goes for an unlimited canadian talk/text plan + 1GB of data for $50, but he wants an outside opinion before re-upping. Any red flags?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

International comparisons are always healthy, whether we're talking about cellular or not. This one caught my eye today:

http://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/Press-Releases/Three-brings-Feel-At-Home-to-USA-34c.aspx

quote:

Three brings Feel At Home to USA

04 December 2013
- USA one of four new fear-free roaming destinations for Three customers.
- Three customers can use their UK data, text and calling allowance while in the USA, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Macau.
- Feel At Home now operates in 11 destinations around the world.

Is there anything less likely in this country than Robelus introducing a similar deal?

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

The Dark One posted:

My uncle's Fido contract is ending, and they're offering him a Moto X if he goes for an unlimited canadian talk/text plan + 1GB of data for $50, but he wants an outside opinion before re-upping. Any red flags?

When I was in the last month of my 3 year contract with Fido and wanting to upgrade to the new iPhone in September, I called asking to cancel my contract because I was unhappy with my original 500mb data plan and their general data rates and they offered me a 6gb data plan + my 35$ 300 min weekday unlimited weekends and unlimited texts for a total of 65$ with no contract. They also offered me a 10% discount (on the 35$) if I would agree to a 2 year contract with that (which I did so I could get the iPhone subsidized).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess this may be a dumb question, but is your uncle unhappy with his existing setup? There's also something to be said for just staying with what he has off-contract.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I'm not site how top gauge that, since he's only been a talk and text user until now, with some terrible Samsung phone running Froyo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So my Rogers contract expires in under 6 months or so, as I've been buying my last few devices outright. Will I get any kind of monthly discount for not having a subsidized phone anymore? I could just call them and ask but I'd rather ask you lovely people.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I can't seem to get above 3mbps anywhere downtown (I've been up and down Yonge and Spadina today) on my Nexus 5 on Telus. The network cannot possibly be this congested?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of Telus, did anyone have their data go completely out yesterday evening around 7? For about an hour or so.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

CLAM DOWN posted:

So my Rogers contract expires in under 6 months or so, as I've been buying my last few devices outright. Will I get any kind of monthly discount for not having a subsidized phone anymore? I could just call them and ask but I'd rather ask you lovely people.

Most providers offer a 10% discount if you're using your own device now. I think Rogers followed that path in the past 4 or 5 months.

I was in a similar arrangement as you with Rogers about half a year ago and I tried to get them to reduce my 78$/month bill but they could only counter with something that was around 65$/month with reduced airtime but more data (which I didn't need).

I shopped around and managed to get a slightly better plan (still more than I needed) with Virgin Mobile that was at 42$/month-to-month (that includes the 10% my own device discount). However since then, Virgin removed the bonus minutes and data they put on my plan from their website. They're owned by Bell so I'm still part of Bell's new crazy marketing data collection scheme but so far I haven't had any ads sent to me. Either Bell is still in the data collection phase or Virgin Mobile is immune but I'm guessing Bell hasn't hit their rollout phase yet.

Unless you're happy with your service at Rogers, shop around and bide your time. It definitely pays off.

rt_hat fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 4, 2013

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Koodo has a double data and minutes promo on now. This may be the motivation I need to eat to the cancellation fee from Bell. Going from ~$80 to around $50 seems good to me.

https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html

So if I want to switch, so I go to koodo first and have them transfer the number, then call bell to cancel? I have been with bell for almost 10 years now, so this is all new to me.

Edit: Jesus, right now I am paying $12 a month for voicemail and caller ID. Better question does the nexus 4 work on telus's network?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 5, 2013

chang with a k
Sep 11, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Koodo has a double data and minutes promo on now. This may be the motivation I need to eat to the cancellation fee from Bell. Going from ~$80 to around $50 seems good to me.

https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html

So if I want to switch, so I go to koodo first and have them transfer the number, then call bell to cancel? I have been with bell for almost 10 years now, so this is all new to me.

I think they'll do the cancellation the same time as the number transfer at the Koodo store. At least that's what Virgin did for me when I switched from Fido. I got mailed the final bill from Fido about a month later for both the month and cancellation fee.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koodo will trigger the cancellation by Bell.

If you go to Bell first, you will lose the number.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Sweet. I just called bell to see what my cancellation cost would be. Glad I hadn't tried to do anything yet.

I'm almost tempted to ditch data entirely, I spend 90% of my time on wifi as it is. The only thing that holds me back is google maps

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

CLAM DOWN posted:

So my Rogers contract expires in under 6 months or so, as I've been buying my last few devices outright.

Sorry I cant answer your question, but I have one for you. When you buy the phone outright, does it still have the special Rogers bios and cruft on it? I'm trying to find a way to get a new Lumia phone that is just from the factory with no carrier modifications, since my service is from Bell.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm almost tempted to ditch data entirely, I spend 90% of my time on wifi as it is. The only thing that holds me back is google maps

That's what I did, in a sense. Since my data usage varies a lot, I just went for Koodo's flex data. But that was before they crippled the flex tiers to a complete joke. Virgin has flex data too, but with Koodo's former tiers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Madox posted:

Sorry I cant answer your question, but I have one for you. When you buy the phone outright, does it still have the special Rogers bios and cruft on it? I'm trying to find a way to get a new Lumia phone that is just from the factory with no carrier modifications, since my service is from Bell.

I've been buying Nexus phones since the S. I bought my N5 straight from Google, but had gotten my Gnex and Nexus S from Rogers. They were unlocked and no bloatware or Rogers crap on them.

I'm not sure about other devices though, like the Lumia ones. Nexus phone are unique in that they're pure unlocked Google phones intended for developers with no interference or carrier garbage.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Jan posted:

That's what I did, in a sense. Since my data usage varies a lot, I just went for Koodo's flex data. But that was before they crippled the flex tiers to a complete joke. Virgin has flex data too, but with Koodo's former tiers.

Bell's info selling policy is one of the reasons I'm cancelling, so virgin is out as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Madox posted:

Right now only Nexus phones come with no crapware. If you buy any other smart phone from Bell rest assured they will load it up with useless garbage.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

grack posted:

Right now only Nexus phones come with no crapware. If you buy any other smart phone from Bell rest assured they will load it up with useless garbage.

I'm 100% certain that the iPhone comes unladen with crap as well.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

grack posted:

The Lumias are only from Rogers, I believe, and they alter it so that tethering no longer works anywhere but on Rogers, which is a problem when I use it with Bell. This is what happened to a previous phone. Does the factory reset setting on the phone get rid of that garbage?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I have a weird problem with a few phones. Two guys have Blackberry 9900s on Bell and none of their web services work. No browser, no facebook, no twitter, etc. BES email and BBM des work, so there's some data moving. No BES policies in place that block anything.
I installed my SIM card and everything works as it should. Did Bell mess something up?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Ashley Madison posted:

I have a weird problem with a few phones. Two guys have Blackberry 9900s on Bell and none of their web services work. No browser, no facebook, no twitter, etc. BES email and BBM des work, so there's some data moving. No BES policies in place that block anything.
I installed my SIM card and everything works as it should. Did Bell mess something up?

Entirely possible. Call up Bell Business Support and ask if the phones have been provisioned for web services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ashley Madison posted:

Alternatively, if these are BES activated devices, check the BES server. Internet traffic is generally routed through the "MDS Connection Service" on BES 5 (9900s would have to be on an older BES <5 server) so there could be a problem there. Email and BBM don't use MDS. I had a problem with similar symptoms the other week when the service unexpectedly stopped on the server.