Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mark Levin had a great special guest today after learning that Nelson Mandela died.
The guy was a "South African Expert" from Bloomington Post.
Said straight up that while Mandela was 'accomplished', that we can't forget that he was a Stalinist, and that his predecessor was even MORE of a Stalinist (for which Mandela should be blamed).

He (the guest) worked in about how Mandela's predecessor used religion to prevent HIV/AIDS patients from receiving medical benefits as an example of how Obama would use Obamacare to prevent YOU from receiving treatment, going so far as to use the phrase "Stop me if you've heard this one".

It was touching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm an ex-Christian atheist, but somehow I still manage to be offended on Jesus' behalf by the anti-poor rhetoric offered by ostensible right wing Christians.

You don't have to believe he's magic to respect his message. The most atheist of atheists should still be bothered by the way these fucks try to twist it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

RadicalR posted:

Hahahaha, are you serious? They just put that on Twitter? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Fox News, you loving moron! You just killed (another) part of your base!
It's like watching a trainwreck, except with popcorn!

Fix nation is basically a blogging tool for Fox News watchers.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Wet and ready posted:

So Fox thinks they can go after the Papa? 25% of the US population is Catholic. I know Fox rallies the base by demonizing everyone else, but it's getting to the point that the US population pretty much IS everyone else.

Few of those Catholics are Fox News viewers, and the ones who are probably weren't fans of Vatican II. They got their (slowly dying off) audience, and that's all they need.

PeterWeller posted:

You don't have to believe he's magic to respect his message. The most atheist of atheists should still be bothered by the way these fucks try to twist it.

That and there's a much better chance as an atheist you've at least skimmed the bible at some point.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

RadicalR posted:

Hahahaha, are you serious? They just put that on Twitter? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Fox News, you loving moron! You just killed (another) part of your base!
It's like watching a trainwreck, except with popcorn!

Shouldn't any Catholic who takes the Pope seriously already have one foot out of the GOP?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think any Catholic who watches Fox News is ready to talk poo poo about the pope at a moment's notice.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Shouldn't any Catholic who takes the Pope seriously already have one foot out of the GOP?

Depends on the pope

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
From Americans Against the Tea Party, but I'd believe Orielly would say it:

http://aattp.org/bill-oreilly-jesus-would-not-support-food-stamps-for-poor-people-because-most-of-them-are-drug-addicts-video/

quote:

O’Reilly, of course, disagreed. “The problem I have, as I stated is that you’re helping one group by hurting another group and a bigger group, and so I don’t know if Jesus is going to be down with that,” O’Reilly told Dubois. O’Reilly added that poor people are at fault for their circumstances. Characterizing “millions and millions” of food stamp recipients as drug users who can’t hold jobs (causing them to be unable to care for their children), O’Reilly said that ”it’s your fault, you’re bringing the havoc, that you’re asking people who may be struggling themselves to put food on the table to give their tax money to you. And then you’re not even going to buy food with it, you’re going to buy booze and drugs with it. - See more at: http://aattp.org/bill-oreilly-jesus...h.RTUGo6ic.dpuf

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

comes along bort posted:

That and there's a much better chance as an atheist you've at least skimmed the bible at some point.

I sincerely doubt that. Misunderstandings and misinterpretations of its messages abound, but so do personal revelation and reading scripture.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

So this is the front page of Breitbart right now

They literally think Mandela's death deserves to be sidelined in favor of some dumbass Politico story about Obamacare.

The sad thing is I was only momentarily surprised.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Gen. Ripper posted:

So this is the front page of Breitbart right now

They literally think Mandela's death deserves to be sidelined in favor of some dumbass Politico story about Obamacare.

The sad thing is I was only momentarily surprised.

What I want to know is why you thought Brietbart was more worthy of your attention than the Harry Potter fanfiction.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

PeterWeller posted:

I sincerely doubt that. Misunderstandings and misinterpretations of its messages abound, but so do personal revelation and reading scripture.

http://www.pewforum.org/2010/09/28/u-s-religious-knowledge-survey/

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Most conservative American Catholics don't care about what the pope says unless it already fits in with their ideology, at which point they become staunch ultramontanists.

What puzzles me is that Francis isn't the first pope to express fiscal progressivism by a long shot; support for worker's rights were declared at the Vatican level at least from the reign of Leo XIII. I'm almost tempted to think that the media has narratives laid out for popes beforehand, and simply decided to make Francis "the liberal one" starting from the beginning of his pontificate, while reserving "hammer of the commies" and "reactionary old fart" for John Paul II and Benedict XVI respectively.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

I just found out as of next month, it's going virtually all-syndicated right wing talk including Rush and Hannity:

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/86875/clear-channel-moving-rush-limbaugh-in-los-angeles-san-francisco/

I know Rush's previous station is also Clear Channel-owned, but they have popular local shows and is by far the most popular AM station in LA.

As much as I'm "sad" to lose the liberal station, it's becoming pretty clear that talk radio is slowly sinking into the past. Progressive radio shows aren't even that good most of the time, Randi Rhodes or whatever always made my jaw clench because of how annoying her voice and mannerisms are.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I didn't mean to dispute the claim that atheists statistically possess more knowledge of the Bible, merely the claim that christians don't read it. They may not read it well, but they do read it.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

I didn't mean to dispute the claim that atheists statistically possess more knowledge of the Bible, merely the claim that christians don't read it. They may not read it well, but they do read it.

They go to their brainwashing boxes and have it read to them because they're not intelligent enough to read, much less comprehend.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

They go to their brainwashing boxes and have it read to them because they're not intelligent enough to read, much less comprehend.

This is as crass and thoughtless as any other lovely stereotype.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

The more agnostic and less church going I've become, the more I've developed a huge respect for Jesus and his teachings and the less I've been a fan of God (well Old Testament God anyway).

I feel like the GOP and right-wingers are basically modern day Pharisees.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

PeterWeller posted:

This is as crass and thoughtless as any other lovely stereotype.
Actually I'd never thought about it, but I'd be really interested to see an honest survey of reading habits of AM Talk Radio listeners vs. NPR listeners. I can pretty much guess the result.

"All of 'em, any of 'em that have been in front of me over all these years."

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Joementum posted:

Here, have a Fox News think piece titled Pope Francis is the Catholic Church's Obama.

I clicked on that link and ended up meandering onto this amazing piece of hard hitting news. I guess it's at least in the opinion section rather than being passed off as news, but how can anyone give enough of a gently caress about this nonsense to write about it?

Young ballerinas kicked out of theater for MSNBC's Obama interview

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Actually I'd never thought about it, but I'd be really interested to see an honest survey of reading habits of AM Talk Radio listeners vs. NPR listeners. I can pretty much guess the result.

"All of 'em, any of 'em that have been in front of me over all these years."

AM Talk Radio won't read the bible until Conservapedia finishes unskewing the Jesus poo poo liberal bias from the bible.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I probably should've worded that as "there's a much better chance as an atheist you've at least skimmed the bible largely free of denominationally specific interpretations reinforced by a strong ingroup dynamic which may or may not have anything to do with what's actually in the text at some point."

ReindeerF posted:

A whole lot of Harry Turtledove and significant chunks of the Zondervan and Regnery catalogs.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 6, 2013

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Yeah, I probably should've worded that as "there's a much better chance as an atheist you've at least skimmed the bible largely free of denominationally specific interpretations reinforced by a strong ingroup dynamic which may or may not have anything to do with what's actually in the text at some point."

Not really, no. While the non-religious side is better about memorizing the verse-numbers of "ha! gotcha!" biblical lines: both camps are mostly dumb motherfuckers who don't know poo poo about poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you legitimately think most atheist 'better knowledge of the bible' doesn't come from stupid 'so there' memorization of poo poo like the Leviticus ban on blended clothing and sending women out of the village on their periods, I don't know what to say.

Also if you think 'how often do you sit down and read your holy book cover to cover' means anything to the non scholarly components of faith I also don't know what to say.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
To be clear, I was referring to reading anything in a book format, though I waded into the Bible discussion.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

To be clear, I was referring to reading anything in a book format, though I waded into the Bible discussion.

Like I said, tons of Regnery publications. Those Politically Incorrect guides make great Christmas gifts.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If you legitimately think most atheist 'better knowledge of the bible' doesn't come from stupid 'so there' memorization of poo poo like the Leviticus ban on blended clothing and sending women out of the village on their periods, I don't know what to say.

Also if you think 'how often do you sit down and read your holy book cover to cover' means anything to the non scholarly components of faith I also don't know what to say.

A Sizeable chunk of Atheists are people who did exactly that and came away with the only logical conclusion, so I'd say yeah, a good number of us actually do have better knowledge of the bible.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

comes along bort posted:

Like I said, tons of Regnery publications. Those Politically Incorrect guides make great Christmas gifts.
I'm sorry, but this is not possible as Richard Mellon Scaife purchases all existing copies of Regnery books.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Touché.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

My Q-Face posted:

A Sizeable chunk of Atheists are people who did exactly that and came away with the only logical conclusion, so I'd say yeah, a good number of us actually do have better knowledge of the bible.

I was interesting in seeing if any research was done on what portion of atheists were christian at some point, so I did some googling. I haven't found too much so far, but this site is worth a brief look. http://www.atheistcensus.com/

There is a breakdown of the religious background, with the ability to further filter results down by country and other parameters. Fairly large majority of the results, and over 3/4 for the USA in particular, are from various forms of christianity.

edit: thought the data would be pertinent to the discussion, not making any implications related to the biblical understanding of ex-christian atheists.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 6, 2013

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

So how long until the GOP makes up a tea party pope and fox news just drops all mention of the real one?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

InternetJunky posted:

So how long until the GOP makes up a tea party pope and fox news just drops all mention of the real one?

It's been too long since we've had a good schism. Let us reform the Lombard League as they bring on their anti-pope!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The new Avignon papacy holds court from a Chick-fil-A in Branson, MO.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

joeburz posted:

I was interesting in seeing if any research was done on what portion of atheists were christian at some point, so I did some googling. I haven't found too much so far, but this site is worth a brief look. http://www.atheistcensus.com/

There is a breakdown of the religious background, with the ability to further filter results down by country and other parameters. Fairly large majority of the results, and over 3/4 for the USA in particular, are from various forms of christianity.

edit: thought the data would be pertinent to the discussion, not making any implications related to the biblical understanding of ex-christian atheists.

Christians are a little shy of 80% of the US, so 3/4 of American atheists being former Christians is actually just about right.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Regarding talk radio, I have Sirius/XM and they recently shook up their Progressive channel by shoving off some major shows like Thom Hartmann (who I enjoyed quite a bit, in ~30min doses) and some other shows that I only caught now and then.

Their new lineup is ok, but it's much less fully-political now, and much more broad in its "Progressive" mindset - minority rights (Make it Plain) and LBGT rights (Michaelangelo Signorelli). Some of those shows were around before the purge, but they're showcased now.

Ed Shultz is still on, who is basically the left's version of Rush minus the lying but plus the constant shilling for Carbonite and Goldline.

The problem with Left radio is that it's easier to get an audience by ginning-up your listeners than maintaining a mindset. I feel like Right Wing radio really embraces the ANGRY WHITE BACKLASH culture, where Left Wing radio tends to occasionally poke fun at the really egregious people and spend most of their time being reasonable and agreeable - but hey, I'm biased obviously and I get my weekly check directly from G. Soros.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

robotsinmyhead posted:

The problem with Left radio is that it's easier to get an audience by ginning-up your listeners than maintaining a mindset. I feel like Right Wing radio really embraces the ANGRY WHITE BACKLASH culture, where Left Wing radio tends to occasionally poke fun at the really egregious people and spend most of their time being reasonable and agreeable - but hey, I'm biased obviously and I get my weekly check directly from G. Soros.

From what I've seen of Shultz he does this as well just with "Angry backlash to angry white backlash".

Like, I distinctly remember a part where he said "[GOP Politician] said that all welfare users take drugs!" and then he played a clip where the guy clearly stated that he didn't think all or even a majority of welfare users took drugs. It's not the same intensity but it is the same direction.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

InternetJunky posted:

It's that one episode of South Park coming to life.

First on the agenda is Ronald Reagan's Sainthood.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

computer parts posted:

From what I've seen of Shultz he does this as well just with "Angry backlash to angry white backlash".

Like, I distinctly remember a part where he said "[GOP Politician] said that all welfare users take drugs!" and then he played a clip where the guy clearly stated that he didn't think all or even a majority of welfare users took drugs. It's not the same intensity but it is the same direction.

He definitely has his moments. I don't listen to his show often as it doesn't coincide with my commute, but his show is only tolerable for me in small doses.

His show is as close to mirroring the right-wing radio model as possible.

The only other show I ever caught was Alan Colmes' show, late night. That one was full-on poo poo talking towards the right. Angry as gently caress at times, but completely hilarious at times he'd open his phones to 'Anything Goes' and get every drunken idiot on the phone. It was 50% Politics and 50% Bum Fights.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

robotsinmyhead posted:

Regarding talk radio, I have Sirius/XM and they recently shook up their Progressive channel by shoving off some major shows like Thom Hartmann (who I enjoyed quite a bit, in ~30min doses) and some other shows that I only caught now and then.

Their new lineup is ok, but it's much less fully-political now, and much more broad in its "Progressive" mindset - minority rights (Make it Plain) and LBGT rights (Michaelangelo Signorelli). Some of those shows were around before the purge, but they're showcased now.

Ed Shultz is still on, who is basically the left's version of Rush minus the lying but plus the constant shilling for Carbonite and Goldline.

I just feel like most liberal/left leaning folks prefer their local NPR affiliate or the local hipster independent radio station. At least that's what the Nielson Audio ratings for Seattle show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
O'Reilly ("Why can't I criticize Mandela for being a communist!?") and Santorum ("Obamacare is literally an apartheid state :smug:") tag-teamed for some terrible opinions on Mandela last night. Wonder if Rush will be able to top them today? :unsmigghh: