Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd just about forgotten about that mess I designed. I believe its true role is ragequits and starting fistfights at the table :v:. I'm sure it would make some great OpFor one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
First Pick: Kintaro KTO-2NW

Second Pick: Firestarter FS9-APC

DQ Pick: Poleaxe PLX-2M

I love the Bistro, but wouldn't actually want it to show up during a mission.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
My Vaquero is literally a Hammerhands in chassis, speed, jets, and half the armament, with one side replaced by artillery. The fluff notes this, indeed, that they're refitted from old stocks. I guess I misinterpreted the "based on?" Oh well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's got a new name, it's not a modification of an existing chassis. If you'd called it a Hammerhands it would've been fine. Sorry, man.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Ha. Fair enough.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

First Pick
Trebuchet TBT-3CS, by GenericServices, for ANTI BULKHEAD MELEE COMBAT IN SPACE :black101:
[This also doubles as an overpriced, armed and armored IndustrialMech, and I'd love to see this boondoggle go through.]

Second Pick
Schrek Primary Party Catering Carrier Field Bistro, by Helter Skelter, for giving mobile field mess halls the armor they so desperately needed.
[Did I mention I wanted to see the great boondoggling of 303X?]

Best Disqualified Pick
Vaquero VAQ-5T, by The Merry Marauder, because the name reminds me of the word Pajero.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

First: Shrek Field Bistro This is amazing, for every reason.
Second: APC Firestarter
Disqualified: Zeus

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

First: HBK-5HS
Second: UrbanMech UMR-62
DQ: Zeus ZEU-9S9

Based entirely on schadenfreude for the goons who have to pilot them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Field Bistro vs. a fleet of Quickcell Foodettes.

The mission plays out like a restaurant management sim-slash-play-by-post Cooking Mama. Occasionally random events will occur, like Clan Elementals who come in an declare a Trial of Alyukaneet Buphay.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The mission plays out like a restaurant management sim-slash-play-by-post Cooking Mama. Occasionally random events will occur, like Clan Elementals who come in an declare a Trial of Alyukaneet Buphay.

Sounds fun and funny. I'd play it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I also made a Quikscell design.

It's a taco truck.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
1) Helter Skelters Schreck Field Bistro 'mech.
2) apostateCouriers SDR-5K-T Spider "Danger Zone"
3) Octavions MAD-1X murdermachine, provided you stay still long enough for its slow rear end to catch up to you.

There really wasn't much choice for my best pick once I read Helter Skelters entry. I don't care how useless and impossible it'd be to run in a mission, I love the loving thing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I don't care how silly it is; I remain proud of my UrbanRenewalMech, built for the dual purpose of mowing down crowds of civilians chanting about being the ninety-nine percent and then smashing their tenement hideouts. I won't vote for my own creation, though, so:

First Place: Helter Skelter's Shrek Field Bistro because AHAHAHAHAHA that's genius
Second Place: zylophone trebble's Sea Griffin because that's a neat idea and I like it.
DQ Entry: Bobbin Threadbare's Poleaxe because gently caress you Dad I don't need move mods

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Aw man, I meant to submit something to this but I forgot. Oh well, my idea wasn't good enough to beat these anyway.

1st: Trebuchet TBT-3CS, because how the hell is punching spaceships not taking the lead here?
2nd: Sea Griffin, because I'm always down with drowning Clanners.
DQ: Poleaxe, because

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

gently caress you Dad I don't need move mods

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Although I'm happy the Gypsy Danger expy (Talos TLS-2F 'Romanian Warning') got in, I did resubmit a combat engineer chassis to be used instead (Sapper Griffin, poo poo loads of rockets and a salvage arm) Ah well, better designs are in anyway-

1st: Spider SDR-5K-T since if it doesn't do well on the battlefield, I'm sure it'll be the newest hit dare-devil ride in Solaris theme parks
2nd: Shrek Field Bistro. I'm sorry, rigging up an Assault-class tank to be meals-on-treads is too brilliant and moronic not to pass up (plus we need art of this, now)
DQ: Flea FLE-22 because I've run similar in MW4 and it kinda works. This gets more points because it's even more stupid.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Where's the firetruck that one guy said he designed? I was deadset on voting for that but I don't see it on the list.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

I'm sad I ended up changing my submission from what it originally was. I guess my design is insufficiently hilarious/awesome, so I'll give you what I was going to have submitted before I had an attack of sense.

quote:

Rampage II RMP-6X

Mass: 95 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: F/X-X-F
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 30,566,770 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,143

Chassis: Stanwhich 950 Endo-Steel
Power Plant: AMC (Overcharged) 380 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h (86.4 km/h)
Jump Jets: Gerard Special X
Jump Capacity: 120 meters
Armor: Panzerslab Type 9 Standard Armor w/ CASE
Armament:
6 Marklin Multi-4 Smart Streak SRM-4s
2 Maxell Rapid Medium Pulse Lasers
1 X-Acto Mono Retractable Blade
1 Vex/Holden EW Suite Angel ECM
Manufacturer: Weigel Armory & Munitions
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: TransCom Alpha w/ Electronic Warfare Support
Targeting and Tracking System: KBC Starsight Model 3

Overview:
The Rampage II is a dedicated city combat design based off of the old Rampage.
Entered as one of the designs for the New Rim Worlds Republic's Advanced Close
Combat Battlemech competition, a healthy dose of backroom corporate dealing and
high-stakes espionage (including several cases of sabotage, and in at least
once case, an outright assassination attempt) meant that the design that won
the contest would not have gotten there by fair play.

The Rampage II is designed for two purposes. The first is to milk every C-Bill
out of a lucrative military contract, and the second is to impress generals who
think 'advanced technology' is something that, if slathered willy-nilly on a
machine, automatically makes it better. In both cases it succeeds with flying
colors. The fact that it is a serviceable infighter in cities is just icing on
the cake.

Capabilities:
Built to be as expensive as possible, the Rampage II is based off of the
original Rampage's chassis, but reinforced for its new, 95 ton mass. Similarly,
its engine is merely an upscaled version of the original's engine to save on
design costs. This massive 380-rating engine allows the Rampage II to run at 64
km/h, a speed equivalent to many modern medium 'Mechs.

Its weapons are entirely dedicated to close-range combat, mounting no less than
24 Streak SRM tubes and a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers, mated to a cutting-edge
targeting system which performs exceptionally well in short-range engagements.
To ensure that it can successfully bring this armament to bear (and to further
pad the costs), no expense was spared to add to the Rampage II's mobility and
ambush ability.

Mounting a prototype MASC system, the Rampage II can achieve short bursts of up
to 86.4 kph, and it also has 4 enormous jumpjets that provide it the ability to
jump up to 120 meters, an invaluable asset in urban warfare. Finally, a
powerful Angel ECM suite allows it to disrupt enemy electronics, giving it a
powerful ambush capability and surprising stealth characteristics for a 95-ton
behemoth.

Should the Rampage II come under significant fire, 17.5 tons of heavy armor
provide excellent protection, and Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment means
that even if its ammunition explodes, the mech itself can be salvaged and
returned to service, although the damage from such an event will cause a
mission-kill.

All this comes at a cost, as Weigel Armory was uninterested in any feature that
wouldn't wow generals in an advertisement. The Rampage II costs over 30 million
C-Bills, more than 3 times the cost of an Atlas. Its gyro is poorly tuned, and
combined with the nature of the Rampage II's chassis, the mech is difficult to
pilot and prone to falling at inconvenient times. Many of its components are
notoriously difficult to maintain: The Marklin Multi-4 Smart Streak SRMs are
notorious for refusing to accept any but factory-standard replacements for
their targeting sensors, and the relatively fragile ECM emitters for the
prototype Angel ECM suite are expensive and hard to source.

Furthermore, to cut costs on CASE implementation, the rear armor of the Rampage
II is extremely weak around the ammunition bins. Although this makes the
blowout panels for CASE much cheaper to implement, it also means that any
attacker which manages to successfully outflank the Rampage II is a significant
threat, as the right rear torso's armor protection will only stop a small laser
strike. Even a lone Wasp in the Rampage's rear arc is capable of incapacitating
this 30 million C-Bill battlemech with a little luck.

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 145 points 5.00
Internal Locations: 1 HD, 2 LA, 7 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine: XL Fusion Engine 380 20.50
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6 (8)
Jumping MP: 4 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT 8.00
Heat Sinks: Double Heat Sink 10(20) 0.00
Gyro: Standard 4.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 280 17.50
CASE Locations: 1 RT 0.50

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 30 50
Center Torso (rear) 10
L/R Torso 20 30
Left Torso (rear) 10
Right Torso (rear) 3
L/R Arm 16 32
L/R Leg 20 37

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Angel ECM CT 0 2 2.00
4 Streak SRM-4s RT 12 4 12.00
2 Streak SRM-4s LT 6 2 6.00
MASC LT - 5 5.00
2 Medium Pulse Lasers RA 8 2 4.00
Retractable Blade LA - 6 5.50
@Streak SRM-4 (50) RT - 2 2.00
Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 9 Points: 21
5/4j 5 5 0 0 4 2 Structure: 4
Special Abilities: AECM, MEL, SAW, CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
First Pick: Griffin GRF-1N-N - for Sea-Fighting and realistic baiting.

Second Pick: Thermal Rescue Ignii - Fire Engine!

DQ Pick: Marauder MAD-1X - The tight combat zones we play in will see this machine come into its own, and many Clanners are definitely stupid enough to get close. It'll be hilarious to see mechs get suicidally close to it and simply disintegrate from crits, TACs and headshots caused by the cluster rounds.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 7, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:argh: How is Brawler not a clearly defined role? It is meant to go into the enemy as fast as it possibly can and fire ALL the RACs. the only reason the other weapons are there is for Zeus-i-ness. would also work for city fighting. :shrug: or Anti-Clan, because I envisoned it closing with clanners and then doing all the damage to their smug faces.

First: Shrek Field Bistro :chef:
Second: War crimes Spider.
Disqualified: Zeus :colbert:

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 6, 2013

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
1st Pick:Hoplite HOP-4NS
The idea of commanders being forced to pilot the best mech for actually commanding as opposed to the mech with the biggest guns in the unit tickles my fancy.

2nd Pick:Griffin GRF-1N-N

Reminds me of the old school underwater Mobile Suits. Shame you couldn't give them huge claws.

Disqualified Pick:Flea FLE-22

How can a 3/5/3 ultra light that gains a balance of 5 heat when standing still and firing it's only weapon possibly lose? The sheer audacity of this design compels me to vote for it. (Maybe it's role is as an unofficial death warrant?)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

I'm sad I ended up changing my submission from what it originally was. I guess my design is insufficiently hilarious/awesome, so I'll give you what I was going to have submitted before I had an attack of sense.

It would've been disqualified anyway, since it's not a modified design.

AtomikKrab posted:

:argh: How is Brawler not a clearly defined role?

Because it's what you do when you can't do anything else. :colbert:

Edit: I'll restate, for the purposes of the contest I wouldn't have considered it to be a modified design. VVVV

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 6, 2013

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It would've been disqualified anyway, since it's not a modified design.

*shakes fist*

It totally is! I mean the Super Griffin is a modified design and so's the Super Wasp, even though they weigh significantly more. The question of what a 'modified design' is in Battletech is kind of weird because you do have variants of existing mechs, and then you have things like the Supers/IICs which are also definitely modified from the original design but often have different masses or whatnot.

(Most extreme being the Phoenix Hawk IIC, which literally weighs 40 tons more than the mech it was based off of).

Oh well.

Also, I probably could have fit everything in 85 tons no sweat, I just went to 95 because it'd make it even more of a hilarious boondoggle (also, 4/6(8)/4 95 tonners remind me of the Executioner/Gladiator, which is a fun mech).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

JT Jag posted:

Where's the firetruck that one guy said he designed? I was deadset on voting for that but I don't see it on the list.
I'm curious, too, since it sort of indirectly inspired me. Maybe it failed the "must be based on an existing design" rule.

Specializing for combat is boring. Half the fun was writing the fluff:

quote:

Masticator Field Bistro

Produced by Aldis Industries on Terra in the early 31st century when payment for a large order of Schrek PPC Carriers fell through mid-production. Rather than hold out and hope they could sell the expensive tanks to another buyer, Aldis decided to go into the restaurant business.

The idea was not entirely a new one. Quickscell's Serape series of taco trucks had been selling well for some time, despite a rather disturbing failure rate on their refrigeration units. Aldis had higher aims, however, and decided to market their creation to such clients as movie producers, touring celebrity chefs, and Lyran social generals.

While based on the Schrek chassis, numerous changes were implemented. The Schrek's fusion engine was deemed to be too expensive, not to mention unnecessary for a bistro, and so was replaced by a lower-rated internal combustion model (well-muffled for customer comfort). Much of the internal space was given over to a surprisingly large kitchen and spacious dining area, with the remainder dedicated to storage of supplies. The turret was kept in place, with the PPCs replaced by a lift hoist to ease resupply as well as two high-power searchlights installed for advertising purposes and illumination of any outdoor seating.

My votes:

First: Trebuchet TBT-3CS - It's almost as ridiculous as my own submission!
Second: Shrek Field Bistro - Yeah I'm voting for mine too, deal with it. :colbert:
DQ Pick: Flea FLE-22 - I dunno, it's cute.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1. Schreck bistro
2. Trebuchet space-boxer
3. Vaquero

I put up a machinegun-loaded battlemaster scout, but it wasn't formatted particularly well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about it, I don't know if I ever actually emailed in the fire-engine-support tank.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
First Pick: Talos TLS-2F. I love hunter/killer designs.

Second Pick: Spider SDR-5K-T. PTN's design is also fun and if I had a third main vote it would go to that - APCs are fun threat multipliers and the idea of a bunch of these rushing in and disgorging troops while jumping all over the place is fantastic.

Third Pick: Poleaxe PLX-2M. Creeping doom!

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

1st: Spider SDR-5K-T Ridiculously fast IFV/APC? Oh yes!

2nd: Axman AXM-1HG Gotta love the HGR and hatchet combo.

DQ: Flea FLE-22 Clearly we need to play a full lance of these in an urban environment.

Sorry about forgetting the fluff on mine, was too busy slapping Arrow IV on a retired chassis to think of one. It was just an excercise in making a relatively cheap artillery mech with limited long range fire support secondaries.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Full flavor text, for the curious:

quote:

UM-R62 variant UrbanMech ("the UrbanRenewalMech")

The UM-R62, or "Urban Renewal 'Mech," is a specialized unit found in garrisons of some of the Free Worlds' League's more unruly worlds. Designed for pacification of newly-conquered worlds - a possibly optimistic design goal given the FWL's current circumstances - the UrbanRenewalMech is designed for the pacification of major urban centers.

The UM-R62's minimal armament is designed with these aims in mind; it boasts a state-of-the-art Light Aurocannon/2, which can be loaded with flechette rounds for forcible pacification of an unruly population, while judicious use of the unit's Flamer can often cow a population; for less-lethal confrontations, the 'Mech's SRM-2 can be loaded with Tear Gas shells for crowd dispersal - or Fragmentation Missiles if a planetary governor is not in the mood to play around. For the not-uncommon circumstance in which an unruly populace has holed up inside a hardened structure, or for the disposal of statuary or other 'inspirational art' thought to be inciting a populace to disobedience, the UM-R62 has been issued a piece of equipment rarely seen outside of IndustrialMechs or the occasional Solaris match - a Wrecking Ball.

The Captain-General's opinion of the design was reportedly mixed, but an enthusiastic reception by some of the more ruthless officials of the Duchy of Andurien have ensured that the design has begun to trickle into garrison forces where the potential for popular uprisings has been deemed unacceptably high.

It's cheap at 1,547,650 C-bills, it's an ubiquitous chassis, and it's perfectly designed to fight large mobs of unarmed civilians and terrible at anything else. I had fun designing it; I'd never actually designed a 'Mech before.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm saving a full fluff post for the winning entries, so if your `Mech wins (and has fluff) people will get to see it.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Full flavor text, for the curious:

It's cheap at 1,547,650 C-bills, it's an ubiquitous chassis, and it's perfectly designed to fight large mobs of unarmed civilians and terrible at anything else. I had fun designing it; I'd never actually designed a 'Mech before.

The bit about the wrecking ball in your fluff caused me a BoB flashback of a critically damaged Sherman with a mineflail making a slow (mildly lagging), hard right turn into a squad of my infantry. Good times with these kind of designs.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

1st: Shreck Food Carrier
2nd: Vindicator 5(wa)R (crimes)
Disqualified: Zeus

I made an entry but I completely forgot to actually send in my entry, so, whoops. Count this as double-disqualified, I guess.

Thunderbolt TDR-6WW "Wild Weasel"
Role: Anti-Missile/Taking an awful lot of money from the Lyran Commonwealth
One sentence fluff summary: Defiance Industries starts to produce its own variant of the Thunderbolt, decides to redefine its battlefield role to protect slower 'Mechs from LRMs and also to make a huge profit off the desperate LCAF.
code:
Movement: 5/8 (10) Weight: 65t Heat Sinks: 10 (20) Total Cost: 15,773,560 C-Bills

Internal      Armor
                                                     Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     21           29        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  8         
                                           L/R Torso     15           23        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  6         
                                             L/R Arm     10           20        
                                             L/R Leg     15           22

Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
Anti-Missile System                          RT        1         1         0.50
Rotary AC/5                                  RA        1         6        10.00
Hatchet                                      LA        -         5         5.00
Anti-Missile System                          LT        1         1         0.50
Guardian ECM Suite                           LT        0         2         1.50
3 Medium Lasers                              LT        9         3         3.00
MASC                                         LT        -         3         3.00
@Anti-Missile System (24)                    RT        -         2         2.00
@Rotary AC/5 (60)                            RT        -         3         3.00
CASE                                         RT        -         1         0.50
There's an XL engine and FF armor in here, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's got a new name, it's not a modification of an existing chassis. If you'd called it a Hammerhands it would've been fine. Sorry, man.

So was this like, supposed to be a trick gotcha? Like, if you happen to be well-versed in battletech fluff, you'd know that any mech based on a previous design is always given the same name with a new number, but if you're like me and didn't know that, welp DQ!

e. man that came off as kind of whiny. I suppose I'm just disappointed because I put work into my entry and could easily have made the utterly trivial change of using the original name instead if I'd had any idea that was a requirement.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 6, 2013

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Vindicator VND-5R

“Sometimes no amount of mustache twirling and sleeping with murder cults can keep those lazy servitors in line.”

I need to see the fluff behind this thing.

"War Crimes" :allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

So was this like, supposed to be a trick gotcha?

No, it wasn't a trick gotcha. This contest was a spur-of-the-moment choice on my part; and I didn't explain it anywhere near as well as I should've and worse; because it was a snap decision with no forethought, I didn't stop to ask "am I defining things well enough?"

My definition for a modified design is: Can I open up SSW, slap AUTRO and a different model number on something that already exists, and then make a few tweaks. Key examples being: Any `Mech with a model number change, like the Vindicator submitted above which doesn't even add a right hand, it instead has a useless stump arm with no weapons in it.

Other people's definition of a modified design seems to be: Based on a design that already exists. Key examples: the Super Wasp, the Warhammer, and `Mech IIC. I consider these to be entirely new designs, but I can understand the confusion. There was a lot of confusion to go around.

People also had trouble with my definition of "specialist." What I meant was a machine with a situationally useful primary role. In other words: A `Mech you don't necessarily want to field every mission. This confused people too. I could've explained it better, but didn't. I apologize for this also.

Because of this confusion, I decided very early on that "disqualified" entries weren't going to be discarded but would get their own mini-contest. They're disqualified from the specialist contest but they're still up for vote and they can still win. They may still get used, they may not, it just depends on how people vote. Situations where they could get used will be made available in upcoming missions. In other words: your work wasn't wasted and remains very much appreciated. I can already picture several scenarios where several "disqualified" designs might make for a good one-off or one-off field refit.

JT Jag posted:

I couldn't find it. I checked all my PMs and all of my e-mails for the past year and it was just--gone. I remember receiving it, but I couldn't even remember who submitted it to ask them for another copy. :(

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 6, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

If mine does get used I hope it is against a clanner. Telling us what you think of as Specialist, would have helped.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I could always scrub the contest and re-run it with things more clearly defined.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I couldn't find it. I checked all my PMs and all of my e-mails for the past year and it was just--gone. I remember receiving it, but I couldn't even remember who submitted it to ask them for another copy. :(

I don't think I ever got round to sending the email, I'm really bad for opening an email, starting to write it and then wandering off and just scrapping it when I shut the computer down.

I posted it in the thread though

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Oh, it's a literal fire engine! And it goes both ways.

Could we include this in the list, and three winners from the qualified list, please? There's so many worthy contestants.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 6, 2013

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
First pick - gotta go Schrek Field Bistro, it's burning up the polls for good reason :).
Second - Spider SDR-5K-T, gotta love a ridiculously fast mech... designed to hunt infantry. I visualize the thing zipping past in a hail of fire (lead and actual fire) and survivors wondering just what the hell hit them.
Third - Vindicator VND-5R, for maximum effect one hopes it was announced on Aleisha Liao's birthday for maximum Ares Convention-violating fun.

Disqualified - Zeus ZEU-9S9, big yet easily able to screw itself over, that's the Lyrans in a nutshell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well that's all fine and I don't think you really need to re-run it. It's not like there there's big prizes at stake! Now I understand your thinking it all makes more sense to me. I got the impression from your comment to MJ12 that you were literally DQing mechs solely on the basis that the name was different, even if most of the physical aspects were identical to the original.

I did do more extensive modification to the Goliath than I guess would fit within your "lightly modified" parameters.

For anyone who cares: the Sabertooth is a modified Goliath intended to mount a pair of HV AC/5s. These are not high-damage weapons but they do have extremely long range - out to 28 hexes. That makes the Goliath a sniper specialist, particularly as anti-air. Even more so than the Rifleman, at that role. It's also an 85-ton 5/8 quad mech, which makes it a pretty odd duck.

Votes:

2pts: Hunchback HBK-5HS, by fool_of_sound
1pt: Vindicator VND-5R, by dis astranagant

I'm a sucker for designs that bring a whole lot of small weapons to bear on a fast chassis. Rolling lots of dice means you'll almost always hit with at least a few, even on high to-hits, smoothing out the variance of combat and allowing for more reliable tactical decisions. Plus, it's just fun to run in behind someone and plow 10 lasers or 12 streak SRM-2s into their back.

DQ pick (1 point): MAD-1X Maurauder, by Octavion
LB 10-X AC is fantastic, four is four times the fantastic. "Sandpaper" is a specialist role! :(

Also it's gauche to vote for my own entry so I'll just say to everyone else, come on, don't you want to vote for the quad mech? Quad mechs are the sexiest mechs.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 6, 2013

• Locked thread