Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I keep coming back to this thread hoping you guys will say that they fixed rebirth enough that it's playable and not frustrating. Sounds like X3 is good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Haven't touched it in a week. Couldn't get the mission where you build a station to complete, and I don't know if it's due to bugs or genuine game mechanics. When that happens, I give up.

Starbound beta drops on Wednesday, unless it's in a similar state (which would be entirely excusable in its case), I don't expect to revisit this for a few months.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

BERGfu posted:

I keep coming back to this thread hoping you guys will say that they fixed rebirth enough that it's playable and not frustrating. Sounds like X3 is good though

Patch 1.18 dropped this morning, but I've been sufficiently busy not to have any time with it. Even if it is made of kitten tears and unicorns, I think we have a good solid month of patching to get it to the point where you can get through the missions without hacking a save file.

I can see what they were shooting for, so I'm cautiously optimistic, but X3 is definitely your most polished space experience at the moment.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Hav posted:

I can see what they were shooting for, so I'm cautiously optimistic, but X3 is definitely your most polished space experience at the moment.

This makes me weep in irony because my first five hours of X3:AP were denoted by throwing my hands up in the air wondering why is this game so frustrating. Then I made a couple of million through the stock market, and bought myself a Kestrel instead of sitting in my goddamn 100m/s Mercury.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Haven't touched it in a week. Couldn't get the mission where you build a station to complete, and I don't know if it's due to bugs or genuine game mechanics. When that happens, I give up.

Starbound beta drops on Wednesday, unless it's in a similar state (which would be entirely excusable in its case), I don't expect to revisit this for a few months.

Yeah I got stuck where you need to buy food or whatever junk and said gently caress it.

Hav posted:

Patch 1.18 dropped this morning, but I've been sufficiently busy not to have any time with it. Even if it is made of kitten tears and unicorns, I think we have a good solid month of patching to get it to the point where you can get through the missions without hacking a save file.

I just want them to get rid of the stations. Like putting in a doc like your ship in hanger thing would be fine.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a mod to do that. I don't mind the stations in principle but it seems kind of pointless the way they've implemented it. If there was more to do on the stations than just talk to NPCs it would be more interesting, but as it stands there's nothing the stations add to the game that couldn't be accomplished with just a dialog menu popup.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's a mod to do that. I don't mind the stations in principle but it seems kind of pointless the way they've implemented it. If there was more to do on the stations than just talk to NPCs it would be more interesting, but as it stands there's nothing the stations add to the game that couldn't be accomplished with just a dialog menu popup.

I kinda agree. I can see what they wanted and what they got were two entirely separate things, but I've felt that they've kinda over-reached every time. That's not to say that it doesn't have it's own charm, and I did get kinda lost, zooming low over the Argnu beef and wheat farms in Excavation while dodging the PMC patrols. It's more RPG, but they don't really have the RPG basics down.

It's like Starpoint Gemini, which is long on badly translated exposition but has a surprising, if slightly weird, depth.

I've had a couple of hours with Patch 1.18 and it appears that the economy is running. I was actually surprised by the engine glow off the freighter engines now they're back to tooling around. Things feel more lively. I'm fairly certain that there's been an FPS boost, but I'm not a performance diva - I'll see if I can get a counter on it.

Bad news is that infuriating map bug is back, meaning that you lose the sidescreen _every_ _fucking_ _time_, meaning a trip out back to use the menu. I'm deluding myself into thinking it's the skunk itself playing up. :smithicide: send help.

edit: Also, it appears that the player freighters can get their orders wedged and the 'clear all orders' button may not.

Hav fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 3, 2013

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Trading (and the game) is basically in the same state it was at release, but at a slightly higher framerate and with less crashes.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Flat Banana posted:

This makes me weep in irony because my first five hours of X3:AP were denoted by throwing my hands up in the air wondering why is this game so frustrating. Then I made a couple of million through the stock market, and bought myself a Kestrel instead of sitting in my goddamn 100m/s Mercury.

Buy a Mamba, get 4x PBEs for shields and 4x HPTs for hull and the game is won. Going faster than any other playable M3 and the vast majority of playable M4s while having ridiculous offensive capability is awesome. Then again, don't listen to me at all because I find a new favorite ship every play through and the Mamba is my current favorite. In my current game I started out in a Buster with 3x PRGs and now I have a squadron of 3 Mamba Vanguards and 3 Buster Vanguards and pretty much everything at my current fighter level dies horrifically.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
For those curious about bounce I recommend the bounce thread's OP http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3504935 , look for "Notes on How it Works, If You're Interested". From this I conclude that yeah, it doesn't avoid collisions with enemy stations, only enemy huge ships. It also turns off collisions for all your owned ships (besides the one you're in) when no enemy is around (less than 10km) and I actually already saw this happening, just save your game and test it by flying through your ships.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

PBGs and PSGs are the best weapons at the game. Except for the fact that they nuke all the loot that drops and will aggro allies and neutrals 90% of the time.

But they do a lot of damage at least!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I hate PBGs soley due to the fact that I get killed by NPCs using them all the time. 'Oh, sorry didn't see you chasing that pirate as I was firing my flame thrower wildly in the area.'

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

quote:

Update December 5th:

While 1.18 has been released to the public earlier this week (you can see the details about it here), we are currently preparing the public test of 1.19. Our aim is to have this in public test during the weekend or early next week and then hopefully release 1.19 later next week.

I explained in my first posting in this thread, that our second priority (after stability) is performance improvements. 1.19 will have a couple of bug fixes that can potentially bring very significant performance improvements.

One of these fixes is not a general performance improvement that will make the game run faster for everybody, but if you were affected by this bug, it can increase performance by several hundred percent.

I did set up a pretty extreme high end PC to test performance problems with specific systems and could reproduce a slowdown in the start zone of the open gamestart from 44+fps down to 10fps and less, just by saving and loading a few times in the right order.

Other things that will be in 1.19 include more crash fixes, new bug fixes related to trading and ship equipping / upgrading and dealing with drones, some bugfixes for generic missions as well as some AI improvements for player owned ships.

We also rebalanced the platforms and docks in several ways. This will affect the skills of NPCs you talk to as well as the content of crates on platforms.
Another balancing change affects repairing ships and stations.

A few functions that we did not provide in the public version so far, but which are useful for video capturing, like turning off the cockpit and UI, will now be available for mapping but will not be mapped in the default profile (yet), because they come with some problems. So please do not mistake the ability to turn off the cockpit or UI as a proper way to play the game (this is reserved for a later feature update). It is meant to help you capture videos with the also newly added video capturing mode.

Last but not least there were also (again) a few improvements to input mappings. Some of our most recent work on this front however, like the ability to set an explicit target with the keyboard (old X3 t / e keys) still need a bit more time for more internal testing.

-Bernd
Performance improvements and some station rejiggering on the way.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
This just in, Bernd only gives a poo poo about how well Rebirth sells: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=357007

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Crimson Harvest posted:

This just in, Bernd only gives a poo poo about how well Rebirth sells: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=357007

Yeah, he repeatedly sidesteps the fact that the game is an incomplete mess by saying things like "we had to release some time" and "we got SOME positive feedback". This is displeasing.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What got me was how complacent he seemed. He's fine with trading barely working because he'll have plenty of time to fix it, and it doesn't break -that- early on in game, and he knows his fans will sit there and take it anyway.

Honestly, it reminds me a bit of CCP releasing Dust. Eve Online payers are used to their weird way of doing things, but a sudden new audience is less impressed when they hear stuff will be 'iterated' on in a year and a half.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm proud to say I did my part in not adding to the sales figures.

I even bought a new graphics card for this game :(

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
The fact that they literally didn't have a beta test also explains a lot.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Renegret posted:

I'm proud to say I did my part in not adding to the sales figures.

I even bought a new graphics card for this game :(

dodged a mother loving bullet on that one

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Capntastic posted:

Yeah, he repeatedly sidesteps the fact that the game is an incomplete mess by saying things like "we had to release some time" and "we got SOME positive feedback". This is displeasing.

You can kind of tell he's being pressed by someone. He even says that they would have lliked to just stick it on Early Acess but they couldn't because of getting retail out. (aka publishers.)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Crimson Harvest posted:

I have to say that they better deliver these huge amount of features being promised all the time because as it stands, even if all bugs are fixed, I'm probably not buying this game even at 75% discount. Maybe the new gameplay is actually good and the only problem are the bugs, but this is really hard to tell without a demo.

Why the gently caress the developer and lots of people across the internet aways talk about having to piloting transport ships unwillingly? I never did that, even at the beginning of my very first playthrough I sent my ships to do trading (M5s lol) while I did fighting missions. There is even a mod that adds order queues if you don't like automatic money making. I was actually expecting that ship interiors on Rebirth would allow for me to put the ship on automatic and do other stuff around the ship or something to get that comfy feel the internet won't shut up about.

I still find it really sad that this game's metacritic score is so much lower than simcity. For all it is the core game mechanics seem to do what it proposes, even if it's something that don't appeal to me, also the developer actually care about their audience somewhat, they were releasing fixes and new content for free for a 2 year old game this year. Also because of this I'm still hopeful they will really introduce new mechanics on rebirth.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BERGfu posted:

dodged a mother loving bullet on that one

No kidding.

This game looks so pretty, I'm so disappointed. I'll probably end up getting it a year down the line when it's like five bucks on steam, regardless if it's fixed or not.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I see things are still pretty bad, but how's the patching coming along? Are they on the right track?

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

seravid posted:

I see things are still pretty bad, but how's the patching coming along? Are they on the right track?

They patched in video capturing and a UI toggle, meanwhile combat ships in your squad don't attack the enemy even if they are directly attacked. I'm glad they've got their priorities straight.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Has anyone successfully gotten an X52 Pro working with the game? Last I checked you couldn't bind like half of the buttons (including the trigger :lol:) and a couple of the axes were unrecognized, so it was more or less unusable.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We can change the thread title to something about rebirth if and only if they make it so you can change ships else AP is still better.

They could fix everything in rebrith, add everything, and it would still be inferior, just pretty.

I too also bought a videocard for a game I ultimately did not buy.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

kedo posted:

Has anyone successfully gotten an X52 Pro working with the game? Last I checked you couldn't bind like half of the buttons (including the trigger :lol:) and a couple of the axes were unrecognized, so it was more or less unusable.

Joystick support is pretty much nonexistent except for a few specific joysticks, the X52 Pro is not among them. So far I haven't heard any announcements about plans for improvement either. Though you could just make a profile for it.

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

We can change the thread title to something about rebirth if and only if they make it so you can change ships else AP is still better.

"X3: Albion Prelude 3.0 - Still the best space game actually out"

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

kedo posted:

I've been using one since release, but to do it I had to delete all references to joystick binds in the config XML and start from scratch. When I bound a few axes they would show up as weird poo poo in game but were described correctly in the config. I have a regex in my post history that you can use to find and replace all joystick entries with blank space.

The game is definitely in a bad state and I'm not happy with my purchase, but modders are working hard to fix the game and the egosoft patches have improved my performance. Basically I think that this game was released in alpha, between egosoft and modders it will be a "beta" in 6 months to a year, and after that it will be fun to play for most people.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

concise posted:

I've been using one since release, but to do it I had to delete all references to joystick binds in the config XML and start from scratch. When I bound a few axes they would show up as weird poo poo in game but were described correctly in the config. I have a regex in my post history that you can use to find and replace all joystick entries with blank space.

The game is definitely in a bad state and I'm not happy with my purchase, but modders are working hard to fix the game and the egosoft patches have improved my performance. Basically I think that this game was released in alpha, between egosoft and modders it will be a "beta" in 6 months to a year, and after that it will be fun to play for most people.

Christ... I'll give that a shot, thanks much. Any way I could convince you to pastebin your xml config (or at least the relevant parts)? I haven't even looked in any of those files yet so it'd be super helpful to at least have a general template to follow.

Then again I'm not sure why I'd want to spend time figuring this out when the game is in such terrible shape. Masochism, I suppose.

\/\/ You're awesome, thanks man.

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 6, 2013

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

kedo posted:

Christ... I'll give that a shot, thanks much. Any way I could convince you to pastebin your xml config (or at least the relevant parts)? I haven't even looked in any of those files yet so it'd be super helpful to at least have a general template to follow.

Then again I'm not sure why I'd want to spend time figuring this out when the game is in such terrible shape. Masochism, I suppose.

Sure:

http://pastebin.com/GMdPG9AL

Replaces C:\Users\username\Documents\Egosoft\X Rebirth\some number\inputmap.xml

I used a software profile to bind strafe to the throttle hat.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

Wow, that's a pretty big misrepresentation of what he actually said.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Unimpressed posted:

Goons will be goons.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah, now I'm actually wondering if Egosoft lost a ton of talent after AP or something.

SterlingSylver
Feb 20, 2007
So here's the deal, I'm feeling burned by this game. I loved X3 TC and AP, but this just isn't what I wanted. Now, we can't undo having bought this POS (without endless e-mailing), but I have a way to make things maybe a bit better for at least one particular Reunion buyer. I happen to be sitting on an X Superbox (which contains X1 through X3 Albion Prelude) in my inventory from the 2011 Holiday Sale (remember that? Good times).

So, if you or someone you know bought this game without having played X3, message me on Steam and I'll hook you up with a real :spergin: space game. Steam name is the same as SA. First come first serve, etc etc etc.

e: and poof, it's gone. Enjoy the best space game actually out, citycop!

SterlingSylver fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 8, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

It's interesting that he says that the game is still selling better than the other games did.

Maybe there really is a very very quiet section of people who are playing it and enjoying it.

Hmm, anyway I'm glad they did well financially out of it and it seems like they understand some of the things they could have done to improve the release, using early access and such. So hopefully they'll have the funds to fix the game up and add in features as in X3, and we might see a better launch of their next game.

It's a little funny, really, because he mentions how planning for a retail release was a big problem, when people were kicking up so much stink about the game being so steam-oriented prior to release. Luddites ruin everything.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah, the heartache on the forums when they announced it would be on Steam was incredible.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think the reason Rebirth is selling so well is because it got a relatively big marketing push, compared to the others, which had been around for a while by the time they hit Steam. Rebirth was on Steam right from the word go, and while they're not required to have a big PC release, they're pretty much the five hundred pound gorilla.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
In other spacegame related news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNVgVl6v6YU

I don't know, but it seems like the genre is up for a renaissance, unless all the upcoming releases turn out to be turds :ohdear:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MechaCrash posted:

I think the reason Rebirth is selling so well is because it got a relatively big marketing push, compared to the others, which had been around for a while by the time they hit Steam. Rebirth was on Steam right from the word go, and while they're not required to have a big PC release, they're pretty much the five hundred pound gorilla.

Marketing push, on steam, riding the Space-Sim interest wave of Star Citizen/Elite, people playing doesn't matter they just have to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GhostDog posted:

In other spacegame related news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNVgVl6v6YU

I don't know, but it seems like the genre is up for a renaissance, unless all the upcoming releases turn out to be turds :ohdear:

This would be nice, but I'm worried that all these different titles are going to end up causing that problem where they all do certain things well, but none of them do everything I want. When there's only one or two titles available at least I can use that as an excuse for them not being perfect, but seeing something implemented well in another game (that itself does frustrating or is lacking a feature I like) would just drive me nuts.

Another thing is that they're almost all indie studios too, so odds are probably pretty good that their ambition is going to be a lot bigger than what they can realistically pull off. It's not a bad thing to aim high, but it just means that they'll probably end up delivering less than they originally promised, or will take a long time to incrementally improve on what they have until it's at the state where they can call it "done". Which is pretty much what we've already got with Rebirth.

I'd really love to see a bigger studio take on the space sim genre. My dream game would be a Mass Effect space sim, which married the 3rd person on-foot combat (for things like ship boarding or fights on planets/stations) with the kind of free-roaming space trading/empire building that the X series does. Plus it's a pretty well developed setting lore-wise so it would be an interesting universe to just explore.

• Locked thread