Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
By this point, Monobear's motives for the first group were the videos and the threat of embarrassing secrets being revealed. Here, it's been the bomb and pointing out of memory loss within the same two days, and the game based on real events in a game. At the first game's third chapter, he offered fat stacks of cash. He's been more direct so far (or least it seems that way to me) and he would be the type of person to keep ramping it up, so he's probably going to use Akane's challenge to cause another motive to occur, whether or not someone dies from it to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A Bystander posted:

By this point, Monobear's motives for the first group were the videos and the threat of embarrassing secrets being revealed. Here, it's been the bomb and pointing out of memory loss within the same two days, and the game based on real events in a game. At the first game's third chapter, he offered fat stacks of cash. He's been more direct so far (or least it seems that way to me) and he would be the type of person to keep ramping it up, so he's probably going to use Akane's challenge to cause another motive to occur, whether or not someone dies from it to begin with.

Their has been a running theme behind each of the murders so far. Each murderer is trying to protect someone. Hanamura wanted to protect his mother and her restaurant. Pekoyama wanted to protect Kuzuryu's dignity. Depending on how Akane's confrontation with Monobear goes that presents several possible motivations. If Akane is killed and someone else announces their intentions for confronting monobear, possibly Nidai, someone might try to stop him but use too much force in the process. The other one I can think of is Akane survives the fight and is determined to go for round two, which I can believe given her personality, so someone kills her to protect her from herself.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

Brought To You By posted:

The other one I can think of is Akane survives the fight and is determined to go for round two, which I can believe given her personality, so someone kills her to protect her from herself.

Come on now.

VolumeZero
May 2, 2012

The other one I can think of is Akane survives the fight and is determined to go for round two, which I can believe given her personality, so someone kills her to protect her from herself.

Sound logic there. I killed her so she wouldn't get killed.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Maybe "accidentally kills her trying to stop her being suicidally reckless" might fit. Or maybe Mikan kills her with malpractice. Or someone frames Mikan for malpractice.

Ever since the hospital was revealed I've been expecting Kuzuryuu to die "accidentally" because it would be a really good cover story, but maybe that's Owari's fate now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Maybe "accidentally kills her trying to stop her being suicidally reckless" might fit. Or maybe Mikan kills her with malpractice. Or someone frames Mikan for malpractice.

Ever since the hospital was revealed I've been expecting Kuzuryuu to die "accidentally" because it would be a really good cover story, but maybe that's Owari's fate now.

Better way of phrasing what I meant.
I'd be interested to see if Mikan is even capable of malpractice being a SHSL Nurse.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
It's still too early to see which Chekov is the gun in this instance, but really, if the hospital keeps seeing use any would-be killer has easy targets in the form of an incoming patient, Mikan, or both of them. Especially since no one's been thought to post oh, say, a guard at the hospital. This is a little frustrating that all pretenses of thwarting murder attempts went out with Togami-- I was kinda stupefied when they left Mikan and Kuzuryuu alone the first time and no one's going to get lucky like that twice.

Putting aside how it *should* be a good thing that the students are still refusing to suspect one another that diligently, the kids should really know better. It's not like they don't have a blathering psycho running around with a "Free Accomplice" sign on his back, even if Monobear hasn't advertised another impetus for someone to kill another student.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

flatluigi posted:

There's also the more relevant DOLL$BOXX, where I could easily see Ibuki fitting into:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu2z4Uf9Tgc
(skip to 1:15 for the start of the song)

The otakubait in this is making my skin crawl.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hedera Helix posted:

But the music is really good...I'm so torn. :shrug:

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

But isn't that the joke?

It starts off looking like it's going to be otakubait idol stuff but turns out to be glasses cracking metal. Also, it's pretty good. They even cut to regular clothing (well, metal clothing) throughout the video.

More back on topic, though, I'm kinda anxious about where this Akane vs. Monobear duel is gonna go. Sure, she's not as great as metal master Ibuki, but if she just died here it would seem like bit of a waste.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

flatluigi posted:

There's also the more relevant DOLL$BOXX, where I could easily see Ibuki fitting into

You know, I've been listening to their spin-off band, Gacharic Spin (same band sans the singer - the drummer is lead vocalist instead with the keyboardist backing) so much recently that I'd forgotten all about Doll$Boxx having harsh vocals, even though I think the drummer is the one who provides them in D$B (she sings clean only in GSpin). The lead singer doesn't scream in her power-metallish band Light Bringer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnqud-E4aXM

Mind you I guess I didn't think of D$B because they don't have that much growling, more just non-cutesy-anime-voice singing. If you want that then I'm sure a few of us could link you some stuff.

Meanwhile on the funnier side of the spectrum there's also 'growling' vocaloid metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kgXEVoZaRA

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

I'd be interested to see if Mikan is even capable of malpractice being a SHSL Nurse.

If she can heal you, I assume she can sure as hell kill you if she wants to. I did mean intentional malpractice, I should clarify. Someone with an extensive knowledge of human anatony would probably know a ton of nigh-undetectable ways of letting someone die.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If she can heal you, I assume she can sure as hell kill you if she wants to. I did mean intentional malpractice, I should clarify. Someone with an extensive knowledge of human anatony would probably know a ton of nigh-undetectable ways of letting someone die.

Especially considering that the group usually trusts her to check the corpses, it could be super easy for her to check the body of her own victim and mislead the group with false information.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CodfishCartographer posted:

Especially considering that the group usually trusts her to check the corpses, it could be super easy for her to check the body of her own victim and mislead the group with false information.

Be that as it may, it's really, really, out of character for Mikan to kill someone though. Unless they pull a "surprise she was evil all along!" twist, which I really, really, hope isn't the case.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

Be that as it may, it's really, really, out of character for Mikan to kill someone though. Unless they pull a "surprise she was evil all along!" twist, which I really, really, hope isn't the case.

On the other hand, Monobear's entire M.O. involves taking people who wouldn't ordinarily be inclined to kill, and applying enough psychological pressure on them to drive them to commit murder. And, let's face it, Mikan isn't exactly the most stable person to begin with.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Neo_Crimson posted:

I could see her killing Saionji? I can't remember nor spell japanese names.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Austrian mook posted:

I could see her killing Saionji? I can't remember nor spell japanese names.

I like how you said that when you spelled Saionji's name completely correctly.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Doesn't Monobear handle the autopsy reports to begin with? Even as good as Mikan is, I doubt she or anybody else would be able to bullshit him well enough.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

A Bystander posted:

Doesn't Monobear handle the autopsy reports to begin with? Even as good as Mikan is, I doubt she or anybody else would be able to bullshit him well enough.

Yes, but Junko Monobear was always willing to be vague in the details of the autopsy report if it would give too much information on who the killer really was. We'll have to see if Tropical Monobear will hold to the same pattern.

Also, don't forget that in the past two cases, Mikan was able to provide additional information about the details of the murder that weren't included in the official autopsies.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Yes, but Junko Monobear was always willing to be vague in the details of the autopsy report if it would give too much information on who the killer really was. We'll have to see if Tropical Monobear will hold to the same pattern.

Also, don't forget that in the past two cases, Mikan was able to provide additional information about the details of the murder that weren't included in the official autopsies.

I could see this making her a target, though. Why not off the one girl who can provide additional information just by checking the body?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Really I'd just like it to be her cus she's one of the people that pretty obviously wouldn't murder anyone, so I think it'd make for a harder and more interesting murder. Right now we've got Nidai, Owari, Saionji, and maybe Kuzuryuu as people-who-will-probably-kill-someone, or at least people-who-will-be-blamed-for-killing-someone. I'd kinda like to see someone other than them be one of the killers, to make it the least obvious.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can't see Mikan killing anyone, although I can definitely see someone using stuff from the hospital to try and frame Mikan for a murder.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I can't see Mikan killing anyone, although I can definitely see someone using stuff from the hospital to try and frame Mikan for a murder.

I don't think anyone could foresee Chef killing anyone, or the Doujin Artist from the first game.

xSangiune8
Jul 7, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I could TOTALLY see Mikan killing someone over Kuzuryuu - her dialogue hints that she's rather infatuated with him. If we're going to run with the "people kill in DR2 to protect those they love" theme, then Mikan would definitely be in the running for that - Kuzuryuu is her charge and potential love interest.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Really I'd just like it to be her cus she's one of the people that pretty obviously wouldn't murder anyone, so I think it'd make for a harder and more interesting murder. Right now we've got Nidai, Owari, Saionji, and maybe Kuzuryuu as people-who-will-probably-kill-someone, or at least people-who-will-be-blamed-for-killing-someone. I'd kinda like to see someone other than them be one of the killers, to make it the least obvious.

I don't see any of those people being potential murderers at the moment. Nidai's shown himself to be a pretty caring and compassionate guy underneath his gruff exterior; Akane's been focusing her aggression towards sparring with Nidai and challenging Monobear; Saionji seems to have a pretty strong moral stance against killing people; and Kuzuryuu is currently making an effort to redeem himself and change his ways.

xSangiune8 posted:

I could TOTALLY see Mikan killing someone over Kuzuryuu - her dialogue hints that she's rather infatuated with him. If we're going to run with the "people kill in DR2 to protect those they love" theme, then Mikan would definitely be in the running for that - Kuzuryuu is her charge and potential love interest.

Eh, I think Mikan's just being overly protective of her patient here. I don't see any evidence of her being infatuated with Kuzuryuu. (Not yet, anyway.)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

I don't see any of those people being potential murderers at the moment. Nidai's shown himself to be a pretty caring and compassionate guy underneath his gruff exterior; Akane's been focusing her aggression towards sparring with Nidai and challenging Monobear; Saionji seems to have a pretty strong moral stance against killing people; and Kuzuryuu is currently making an effort to redeem himself and change his ways.

With Nidai, he seems like the kind of person who buckles down and gets what he needs to done. If monobear can convince him via some motivation that he REALLY needs to kill someone to accomplish something, I could probably see him going through with it - considering we know SOMETHING is about to go down between Akane (who has at least a friendship relationship with Nidai) then it wouldn't be too big of a stretch to imagine her being put into some position that can encourage Nidai to kill - possibly Akane winds up in some hostage-ish situation or something, and the killer will murder to protect her maybe?
Akane herself I could see possibly killing someone, if only cus she has lots of aggression and strength. Yes it's usually directed at Nidai, but that could also be a misdirection for her to murder - we're so used to her directing it at Nidai, we assume she wouldn't direct it elsewhere. Alternatively, maybe the game will pull something similar to Sakura (the big strong person gets murdered) and kill off Nidai, and thus Akane would be the prime suspect (and thus not actually guilty).

Saionji may have a moral stance against killing people, but she also was killing ants for fun? She seems fairly unstable and with the amount of hatred she can pump out, I could see her going to those lengths. Maybe something with Akane and monobear will piss her off and push her over the edge, or something. I don't honesty think Kuzuryuu will murder someone at this point, though.

Really, everyone else is just not as obviously a murderer. Sonia, Mioda, and Mikan are super sweet to everyone, and Nanami has (seeming) plot armor. Gundam would never kill anyone because he's just so :allears:

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.

DaveWoo posted:

...Nidai's shown himself to be a pretty caring and compassionate guy underneath his gruff exterior; Akane's been focusing her aggression towards sparring with Nidai and challenging Monobear...

It's been posited before, but with the wording on Monobear's rules, and a conversation on the nature of accidents, I'm worried about the intensity of Nidai and Akane's sparring. If Akane gets out of control, Nidai's attempt to not get legitimately hurt might end up killing her, or she could cause him to slip and die or something.

Nanami has (seeming) plot armor. Gundam would never kill anyone because he's just so :allears:.

Plot armor means absolutely nothing, as we should all be aware at this point, and Gundam would absolutely murder someone if they threatened his animals (maybe animals in general even), or threatened Sonia, probably, with his crush and everything.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Oliver Crowley posted:

Plot armor means absolutely nothing, as we should all be aware at this point, and Gundam would absolutely murder someone if they threatened his animals (maybe animals in general even), or threatened Sonia, probably, with his crush and everything.

I think you're mixing up your characters, there.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
English trailer is out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjWwYnozCk

:v:

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013
My gut feeling is that both Nidai and Gundam are both too highly mentally resilient and generally all-around awesome to be willing to kill someone; Nidai's the type to sacrifice himself rather than anyone else (and the Akane-as-hostage motive doesn't really work since the likely killer would be far too obvious to work as a mystery), and Gundam would probably consider actual murder to be beneath his position (he may talk a big game about callousness, but when it boils down to it, he's a big softie at heart).

On the contrary, because they both overshadow Hinata, I see them both as convenient murder targets. (Not necessarily intentional targets; we've had Monobear's spiel on how even accidental manslaughter is murder by the rules of the game.) In fact, I pick Nidai for the most likely vic this episode, though Akane, Kuzuryuu and Saionji are also highly likely, based on the their character development setting death flags.

As for Saionji, since killing someone would mean that the character development she's undergoing is entirely fake, I put her in the likely future victim camp, though she could still survive to the end. I might get subverted here, but I don't see it happening this time around.

Just my two cents here; let's see how this plays out.

LukanFox fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 6, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

I'm overall pretty satisfied with that. My only real complaint is keeping "Monokuma", but that's probably mostly a result of getting used to Monobear in the LP. Some of the voice acting isn't quite amazing, but it sounds workable.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Well they didn't even try to keep the first killer hidden.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Austrian mook posted:

Well they didn't even try to keep the first killer hidden.

To be fair, neither does the loving game, really. :v:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

LukanFox posted:

My gut feeling is that both Nidai and Gundam are both too highly mentally resilient and generally all-around awesome to be willing to kill someone; Nidai's the type to sacrifice himself rather than anyone else (and the Akane-as-hostage motive doesn't really work since the likely killer would be far too obvious to work as a mystery), and Gundam would probably consider actual murder to be beneath his position (he may talk a big game about callousness, but when it boils down to it, he's a big softie at heart).

On the contrary, because they both overshadow Hinata, I see them both as convenient murder targets. (Not necessarily intentional targets; we've had Monobear's spiel on how even accidental manslaughter is murder by the rules of the game.) In fact, I pick Nidai for the most likely vic this episode, though Akane, Kuzuryuu and Saionji are also highly likely, based on the their character development setting death flags.

As for Saionji, since killing someone would mean that the character development she's undergoing is entirely fake, I put her in the likely future victim camp, though she could still survive to the end. I might get subverted here, but I don't see it happening this time around.

Just my two cents here; let's see how this plays out.

Thinking back, Akane has never been able to beat Nidai in a fight. Being a SHSL coach he's reading good at reading peoples abilities and can realize when they is going to make a mistake. What if while Akane is fighting Monobear he realizes that she's possibly going to suffer a fatal injury and jumps in to help her? He could land himself in the hospital or worse.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Title sounds like its gonna be a bait and switch for some unsuspecting people

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 18, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Oliver Crowley posted:

Plot armor means absolutely nothing, as we should all be aware at this point

I'd say it does mean something. It means that she's all the more likely to die once poo poo, as they say, gets real. Her or Komaeda. Or both. Both is a possibility.

I hope it's not both. Despite my unlimited levels of affection for Komaeda I do in fact like other characters and Nanami is one of them.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Yeah, the first thing I thought when I watched that trailer was "you know a lot of people are going to buy that game hoping for a weird anime shooter and be vastly disappointed/confused."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Monokuma's new voice doesn't sound evil enough in that trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Carbon dioxide posted:

Monokuma's new voice doesn't sound evil enough in that trailer.

Good, he's supposed to sound goofy and dumb.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I don't see how you could think this since it's a relatively obscure game and most of the people buying it are basically going to be from either this forum or tumblr. Like, maybe one or two people will pick it up randomly, but for the most part if you're playign Danganronpa in the West, you already know about it.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 6, 2013

• Locked thread