Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Rocksicles posted:

Don't know if anyone else in here picked it up, Bethany Snow from the comics is actually in the show. I totally missed it till had it pointed out for me.

Ambush Bug confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I thought it wasn't TOO crazy that Moira knew of the League. I always feel like she's been involved in some shadier poo poo than we were ever aware of.

I might be misremembering, but I was always a little unclear on her past movements from season 1. She was shocked when ArrowFather told her about Barrowman's plans, and that he had killed a person. But then she was somehow involved in his death at sea when he was planning to stop Barrowman.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

VagueRant posted:

I really really hope they didn't just kill Slade. Like that, anyway. (I know Canary asked about him, but maybe they screwed up there.)

I would bet against it, remember Ollie says that he killed everybody that was injected with Miracle, and he burned the last one. The Deathstroke mask on the beach is probably where the pyre was. It would be a huge waste to not have Wilson show up in the present-day plot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Did Moira know about the yacht planning to crash? I remember Malcolm ordered it, but can't recall if she had a direct hand in it or not.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Well, she had the sabotaged wreckage. And she was working with the dude who she knew killed her husband (and possibly her son, at the time) for a while, even if her excuse was fear for her and Thea's life.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
This was probably asked back in season 1, but is there any reason why they call it the League of Assassins and not Shadows? I thought it was to tiptoe around Batman and anything that had to do with him, but if you're going to name Ra's all the time... yeah, don't see the point of the name change.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Krad posted:

This was probably asked back in season 1, but is there any reason why they call it the League of Assassins and not Shadows? I thought it was to tiptoe around Batman and anything that had to do with him, but if you're going to name Ra's all the time... yeah, don't see the point of the name change.

League of Assassins is the original name from the comic books. League of Shadows is a pure Nolan invention since (from what I heard) he realised that Bruce joining a group called the League of Assassins only to say "Wait, you want me to KILL people? That's not my style" after all the training would be really stupid. Arrow is using the proper name.

That said, I prefer League of Shadows.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Oh, that makes sense, I thought it was Shadows in the comics as well. Gotta give them credit for sticking to the source material, even if it sounds silly.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

This is the first episode in a long time that, before it was even half over, I wanted the next one. Grant Gustin is going to do well, I think.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Those spoiler images. Ugh. My work blocks some part of the CSS, so spoilers don't work correctly. I see black bars, but it won't spoil an in-line image.

Guess I know now. Gonna be interesting.

e: also, I can't let my wife watch this show, or I'll keep hearing about how I should be working out daily.

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 6, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krad posted:

Oh, that makes sense, I thought it was Shadows in the comics as well. Gotta give them credit for sticking to the source material, even if it sounds silly.

They do that a lot on this show and it's better for it. It doesn't tiptoe around the ridiculous plot points by having Ollie say he 'saw things he couldn't explain' on the island, he straight out says 'yeah I never told you but there was a WW2 super soldier program on that island. Also I've already killed one of those guys before.:geno:'

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

No Butt Stuff posted:

e: also, I can't let my wife watch this show, or I'll keep hearing about how I should be working out daily.

But if you did, maybe you'd get to do butt stuff.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

They do that a lot on this show and it's better for it. It doesn't tiptoe around the ridiculous plot points by having Ollie say he 'saw things he couldn't explain' on the island, he straight out says 'yeah I never told you but there was a WW2 super soldier program on that island. Also I've already killed one of those guys before.:geno:'

Yeah, amazingly enough, seeing proto-Grundy with super strength doesn't seem completely out of place for the show so far.

However, super speed? That'll be a harder one to explain...

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

They've been teasing it a lot, but have any of the producers/showrunners said whether or not the are actually gonna do the entire Barry Allan origin on Arrow? Or are they just gonna set it up forever and have him actually get his powers in the Flash pilot?

I know that studios love to do origin stories, but I think it would be nice if Arrow took care of it (I mean they just won't shut up about the particle accelerator) and the Flash series just started with an already powered Barry doing the Flash thing in Central City.

Also last question - what city is Star(ling) City supposed to be representative of? Seattle?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They were, but now it's going to be in the pilot instead apparently.

Star City used to be in New England, but was moved to northern California more recently.

In the New 52, Green Arrow just lives in Seattle.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 6, 2013

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Daikoku posted:

I would bet against it, remember Ollie says that he killed everybody that was injected with Miracle, and he burned the last one. The Deathstroke mask on the beach is probably where the pyre was. It would be a huge waste to not have Wilson show up in the present-day plot.

Everyone's assuming the thing he burned was a person and I don't know why, I thought it was pretty clear that he said he killed everyone injected with Miracle and burned the last of it, it being the remaining supply of Miracle.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Also, people in this show have a tendency to not be really dead (Except prob Ollie's dad and all the nameless thugs. Vertigo is also a pretty good bet).

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Actually, I think it's going to happen in the next episode.

The particle accelerator is going to be fired up 'tomorrow' (IE; next week), so if they're using that to accelerate Barry's particles, that's the time to do it. They're making WAY too big a deal out of its first ever activation not to do SOMETHING with it. Barry's origin is traditionally chemicals + lightning, so I'm guessing here it will be chemicals + particle accelerator, and we know from the preview that he gets violently thrown into a shelf of chemicals next week.

My guess would be as follows:

- Next week, Barry gets juiced, but instead of instantly giving him powers, it fucks him up really bad and sends him to the hospital in a coma.
- He's out for most of the rest of the season, until he wakes up with powers in episode 20 the pilot.

:flashfact: FLASH FACT::flashfact: The producers have said that in their original (backdoor pilot) plan, the suit wouldn't have debuted until the first episode of The Flash. The backdoor would've ended with Barry in speed-shredded clothes looking at a picture of the Arrow and saying ':blush: I need a suit.'

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 6, 2013

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Epi Lepi posted:

Everyone's assuming the thing he burned was a person and I don't know why, I thought it was pretty clear that he said he killed everyone injected with Miracle and burned the last of it, it being the remaining supply of Miracle.

Actually didn't he say something like he killed everyone they injected with Miracle or something? Which could mean Slade survived I guess because he wasn't injected by baddies. I guess.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krad posted:

Yeah, amazingly enough, seeing proto-Grundy with super strength doesn't seem completely out of place for the show so far.

However, super speed? That'll be a harder one to explain...

Yeah, I was wondering about that, and it's pretty fun to imagine in a season or two Ollie is the weakest of all the people on his crew since he has to compete with actual superheroes coming out of the woodworks. Then he starts getting creative about his arrow tips like the campy 60's comics.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Star City used to be in New England, but was moved to northern California more recently.

In the New 52, Green Arrow just lives in Seattle.

Shocked it's not Portland.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Spergatory posted:

Actually, I think it's going to happen in the next episode.

The particle accelerator is going to be fired up 'tomorrow' (IE; next week), so if they're using that to accelerate Barry's particles, that's the time to do it. They're making WAY too big a deal out of its first ever activation not to do SOMETHING with it. Barry's origin is traditionally chemicals + lightning, so I'm guessing here it will be chemicals + particle accelerator, and we know from the preview that he gets violently thrown into a shelf of chemicals next week.

I thought they foreshadowed the hell out of that in the scene with Felicity where Barry was all, 'Oh my who conveniently arranged all these chemicals in exactly the right order to wreck someone's day'

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

I thought they foreshadowed the hell out of that in the scene with Felicity where Barry was all, 'Oh my who conveniently arranged all these chemicals in exactly the right order to wreck someone's day'

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was looking at that scene all 'Holy poo poo, are they doing it now?:suspense:'

And I retract my previous statement. I'm almost positive he's getting powered up next week, because someone spliced together all the shots from the promos and you can basically see the moment. Gif 1, Gif 2. Barry's holding a chain, lightning strikes, shatters window, Barry goes flying into chemicals. So no particle accelerator involvement after all, unless the PA somehow causes the lightning.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Spergatory posted:

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was looking at that scene all 'Holy poo poo, are they doing it now?:suspense:'

And I retract my previous statement. I'm almost positive he's getting powered up next week, because someone spliced together all the shots from the promos and you can basically see the moment. Gif 1, Gif 2. Barry's holding a chain, lightning strikes, shatters window, Barry goes flying into chemicals. So no particle accelerator involvement after all, unless the PA somehow causes the lightning.

Well the LHC doubled the rate of earthquakes so why shouldn't the particle accelerator quadruple the rate of lightning strikes? Makes perfect sense. :smug:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I suspect they left some of the original plan in the show and teaser just to feed the frenzy. Word has it they wanted Flash to be able to stand alone, hence the re-edit.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Spoilers for speculation

Maybe Ollie bites off more than he can chew regarding Brother Bloods stable of super soldiers, and the newly powered Barry will come in and save him.

I really hope at some point he says something super hammy like "I'll be back in a flash"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

I suspect they left some of the original plan in the show and teaser just to feed the frenzy. Word has it they wanted Flash to be able to stand alone, hence the re-edit.

Could be. Who knows? I'm game for whatever they decide. I loving love this show. I'd almost forgotten what it feels like to watch a show actually be excited about what comes next week! :dance:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spergatory posted:

Maybe he gets chemical soaked or something, thinks he's okay, then goes home and it causes some weird reaction to the Accelerator?

Or is the Accelerator supposed to be in Starling?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Aphrodite posted:

STAR Labs, so in Starling, presumably.

Q&A part 2.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe he gets chemical soaked or something, thinks he's okay, then goes home and it causes some weird reaction to the Accelerator?

Pretty sure it is in Starling. So I think what happens is he gets doused in chemicals, wanders outside half blind, gets struck by lightning and thrown by the force of the impact into the particle accelerator, magically accelerating his chemically saturated, positively charged particles or something.

Then, as the icing on the cake and a callback to this episode, he gets trapped inside a functioning centrifuge, separating his accelerated particles from any remaining slow ones.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
S.T.A.R. Labs is not technically a Starling City thing, it's just the name of the go-to science and tech company in the DCU. I can see where it'd get confusing though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't recall if the show has said where it is.

Starling makes the most sense story wise though, if the intent was to give Flash his powers on Arrow all along.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
I call bluff. They've been way too ham-handed with THIS JUST IN, PARTICLE ACCELERATOR TOTALLY HAPPENING GUYS on every newspaper and TV all season. I'm thinking it's just misdirection.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, hey, a Blue Beetle shout out this episode. That's not the first one for the show, either, is it?

Spoilered for comics-related name-dropping.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Why would he be anywhere near the particle accelerator when its switched on anyway? Its not something Ollie's company has made is it?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Crunk Abortion posted:

I call bluff. They've been way too ham-handed with THIS JUST IN, PARTICLE ACCELERATOR TOTALLY HAPPENING GUYS on every newspaper and TV all season. I'm thinking it's just misdirection.

Who knows? On further thought, the scenes in those gifs might not even be IN the episode. Gustin is buffing up for the pilot as we speak, so it would make sense for them to have already filmed the :science: scene while he's still skinny, wherever they decide to put it. We may see it next Wednesday, we may see it next year. Who knows?

That's what I love about this show. It keeps me guessing in the best way (IE; with excitement, not with dread [Glee] or with astonishment at how they can make such cool things so boring [SHIELD]).

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Habibi posted:

Pretty sure it is in Starling. So I think what happens is he gets doused in chemicals, wanders outside half blind, gets struck by lightning and thrown by the force of the impact into the particle accelerator, magically accelerating his chemically saturated, positively charged particles or something.

Then, as the icing on the cake and a callback to this episode, he gets trapped inside a functioning centrifuge, separating his accelerated particles from any remaining slow ones.

This is the most wishy-washy-TV-sci-fi thing I've ever read. It will probably play out EXACTLY like this. I like the idea of using the centrifuge to separate his accelerated particles from non-accelerated ones. :science::rice:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Crunk Abortion posted:

Yeah, we got it all wrong guys. Remember how Arrow is supposed to be a more down to Earth superhero show? Barry will only be called "The Flash" because of his ability to solve crimes really quick. They'll catch the criminal in the first 10 minutes of each episode. :shobon:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Krad posted:

They'll catch the criminal in the first 10 minutes of each episode. :shobon:

that leaves 10 minutes for an island flashback and then the rest can just be 20 mins of Felicity doing whatever.

Instant Ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Aphrodite posted:

I don't recall if the show has said where it is.

Starling makes the most sense story wise though, if the intent was to give Flash his powers on Arrow all along.

The STAR Labs and its Particle Accelerator are in Central City. They've said it several times since the season opener.

• Locked thread