Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ElGroucho posted:

I... I can't tell if you are being funny or serious.
It's funny because it's seriously true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Wasn't there a directx update that would just spam the gently caress out of your root with log files or something?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have so much AS400 work that requires RPG, we're probably going to hire a contract worker for a year. Amazing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And then there was EVE Online and a couple of other games where uninstalling them deleted your files or blew up the boot.ini file.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mllaneza posted:

And then there was EVE Online and a couple of other games where uninstalling them deleted your files or blew up the boot.ini file.

It was actually a patch for EVE that deleted boot.ini, not uninstalling it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Inspector_666 posted:

It was actually a patch for EVE that deleted boot.ini, not uninstalling it.

That is just sheer hatred for your customers.

I found and submitted a bug to SE where aborting an update to Final Fantasy XI at the wrong time would start nuking system32.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paladine_PSoT posted:

That is just sheer hatred for your customers.

Nah, it's just CCP being CCP. They made this video about the aftermath.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Agrikk posted:

What, forget to copy/paste or offer out your IT services to friends?

Yes.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

Why do all electrical engineers write code that saves files directly to the root of c:\ ? Is there a special school they go to in order to learn bad programming habits? :bang:

Electrical engineers and scientists are usually taught to quickly write code which accomplishes a particular task and not worry about wider concerns beyond does it compile? and does it compute *thing*? Behaving in a nice way on a system or respecting accepted practices doesn't come in to it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

I quite enjoyed finding the 40gb error log eve somehow managed to generate on my system.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MisterOblivious posted:

I quite enjoyed finding the 40gb error log eve somehow managed to generate on my system.

I think somebody did some packet tracing and found that EVE was sending 8MB TCP packets back to their server. No idea if that ever got dealt with.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I was asked today if there's a way to put PHP in static HTML files. Apparently Facebook gives you a PHP snippet example for setting cache-control headers for your endpoint for some social plugin they have and they wanted to include it to speed up the facebook plugin. I explained that no, you can't run PHP in static HTML, but you can set cache-control headers in the web server by tweaking x and y settings.

"Oh thank you since facebook JS is so slow to load here we want to speed it up this way"

:staredog:

No, you can't set cache-control headers, or any other headers for that matter, for content originating from Facebook's servers :cripes:

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Why do all electrical engineers write code that saves files directly to the root of c:\ ? Is there a special school they go to in order to learn bad programming habits? :bang:

It's our passive-aggressive way of making the company wish they'd shelled out the cash for Matlab instead :smugdog:

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

Except links don't give you the Open With option in their context menu. If it were any other sort of file, I could see how they did it accidentally.

Yeah it does.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

frogbert posted:

Yeah it does.
It doesn't for me, but is that a .url or a .lnk?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

frogbert posted:

Yeah it does.

anthonypants posted:

It doesn't for me, but is that a .url or a .lnk?
I think it's a specific bug with right clicking .lnk files that are linking to html pages. Here's what I just replicated:

It only shows up when you make a shortcut to a web page.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mllaneza posted:

There was also that antivirus where the uninstaller would clean its install directory by deleting all the files and folders in it. Turns out a bunch of people had it installed directly to C:\ :haw:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I guess not necessarily a ticket, but got a lot accomplished today!

One of my coworkers was doing work on a laptop for a client that got hosed up with malware and trojans - after the laptop was clean of all infections, it couldn't browse the web. Wired and wireless would both show connected, but the machine flat out refused to get out to the web, through any browser. He'd tried reloading the wired/wireless drivers, checked all the TCP/IP settings, even tried a system restore and nothing worked. He was about to give up and tossed his hands up with an exasperated "I don't know what to do, I've tried everything!"

Me: Just a gut feeling, but have you tried resetting the TCP/IP stack and winsock?
Him: I haven't had to do that in AGES, what's the command again?
Me: <rattles off the commands for both from memory>
Him: Alright, needs to reboot, let's see what happens...

Lo and behold, browsing is back and he's all set. A bit frustrated from spending a couple hours, but glad it was fixed. :unsmith:

Additionally, another client was working with a vendor to get some application loaded called ImmsLink that somehow works in conjunction with their GE Centricity 10 application. A nice hour long call in which I had to grant the outside company access remotely, along with setting up an SQL login so they could access the CPS 10 database. Thankfully one of the guys I work with has some experience with SQL and helped me walk through it, or I'd have been hosed. Felt nice to learn some new stuff though, wasn't nearly as complicated as I thought it would be. :v:

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Our company website needs to be migrated to Joomla, this so marketing can edit the website without contacting IT.

Joomla is a piece of poo poo.

The website has four tlds because of four languages, the website has a special menu, the website has been migrated once from some lovely .aspx to static html when we took over hosting from the ad-agency that billed us $50 to just add an image.

The website has to look the same as it did before and that's the main problem.

The person who's going to be updating the website is going to be trained in Joomla on monday, so i basically have today and the weekend to get this loving piece of poo poo to work and look exactly the same as before.

Why the training has to be on monday is unknown, why this project even has to be done this week is also unknown.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
I finally got a chance to tidy up the rack I inherited two years ago. It's not perfect, but it's a darn sight better than it was!

Before:

After:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

That looks downright sexy, man.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Latitude E6400 decided to die on us a few days ago. Hard drive spins and the activity light blinks for about two seconds before staying off. The screen never turns on and the fan just sits there. It doesn't smell like it burnt up, so I'm at a loss. Google is unhelpful on this and keeps finding posts by people talking about rebooting.

Probably just going to replace this, but I am curious what happened.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Daveh posted:

I finally got a chance to tidy up the rack I inherited two years ago. It's not perfect, but it's a darn sight better than it was!

Before:

After:

Hot dawg, that looks great.

I just started a new job, and one of my first projects is "update and upgrade the network and its security". Okay, no problem, let's see what we've got here...

~~3 days of Telnet/LLDP/CDP/exploring later~~

Welp, a couple Cisco devices, the rest HP; SSH enabled on all of ONE device (the rest Telnet); the Cisco devices have a "cisco"/"cisco123" login, no login/password at all on the HP switches; everything in the building is on VLAN 1; no HTTPS, no passwords on any web interfaces; a slapdash bunch of wireless APs that have no rhyme or reason aside from "this division wanted wireless so we put an AP in around here"... and a slew of other things. :negative:

Hey, at least I've got plenty to keep me busy! :unsmith: Want to learn to look on the bright side of things? Pursue a lovely career in the field of Information Technology.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 6, 2013

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

QPZIL posted:

Hey, at least I've got plenty to keep me busy! :unsmith: Want to learn to look on the bright side of things? Pursue a lovely career in the field of Information Technology.

You wont have a budget to make any changes though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shalhavet posted:

Latitude E6400 decided to die on us a few days ago. Hard drive spins and the activity light blinks for about two seconds before staying off. The screen never turns on and the fan just sits there. It doesn't smell like it burnt up, so I'm at a loss. Google is unhelpful on this and keeps finding posts by people talking about rebooting.

Probably just going to replace this, but I am curious what happened.

Blown cap even if you don't smell anything. Those are either warranty fix or toss. I have an E6410 that needs a new keyboard for like 6 months now.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to tell a user they have hot doo-doo cock breath without coming off like a jerk?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

ElGroucho posted:

Is there any way to tell a user they have hot doo-doo cock breath without coming off like a jerk?

Offer them some gum.. that's the general subtle way to do it.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
I found the Fedora VM in all its glory and it turns out they have eDirectory. Half of their office is HP desktops with XP, P4s, and 1.5GB of RAM. I told their site manager that they would spend a lot less if they just buy new desktops instead of pay us to fix this mess and still need new desktops anyway.

Question: I can't seem to be able to access the fileshares on the Novell boxes using my Windows 2008 server. I was just going to yank all the data onto the Windows server and get rid of the Novell boxes but I can't get at it. Any ideas?

Edit Bonus Content: They complained to their HQ about their dhcp issues and the response was that the Sonicwall and Win 2008r2 server were both giving out DHCP and we should know better. The Win 2008r2 server was unplugged :V (someone brought in router from home and it got dry-walled in).

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

blackswordca posted:

Offer them some gum.. that's the general subtle way to do it.

When in the company of many people, offer them some gum. Don't offer it to anyone else and don't take a stick out for yourself first.

Sterling_Archer posted:

(someone brought in router from home and it got dry-walled in).

Is that what happened or is that your guess?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
[quote=""ElGroucho"" post=""422825590""]
[/quote]

Requesting a thread title update.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sterling_Archer posted:

I found the Fedora VM in all its glory and it turns out they have eDirectory. Half of their office is HP desktops with XP, P4s, and 1.5GB of RAM. I told their site manager that they would spend a lot less if they just buy new desktops instead of pay us to fix this mess and still need new desktops anyway.

Question: I can't seem to be able to access the fileshares on the Novell boxes using my Windows 2008 server. I was just going to yank all the data onto the Windows server and get rid of the Novell boxes but I can't get at it. Any ideas?

Edit Bonus Content: They complained to their HQ about their dhcp issues and the response was that the Sonicwall and Win 2008r2 server were both giving out DHCP and we should know better. The Win 2008r2 server was unplugged :V (someone brought in router from home and it got dry-walled in).

You probably would need the Novell Client on the Windows server to access it. Might be easier to just see if you can connect a usb 1TB external drive.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

demonachizer posted:

Is that what happened or is that your guess?

Considering we found it, I would not call it a guess.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Daveh posted:

cabling

Nice work.

I've never understood people who won't loom long cables. I understand that sometimes all you have is a 7' cable for a one foot run, but it is possible to make the run look tidy by velcroing the slack out of the way.

News flash: according to the way some cages look in my colo, some people take pride in their work and others give no shits.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Let's hope this works...

Guy stopped by on Wednesday "Here's my old docking station, drukqs!!"

"Oh leave that in Matt's cube he has storage space for that kind of stuff"

then today I have his old power brick and some other douchers unwanted monitor...

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Sterling_Archer posted:

Considering we found it, I would not call it a guess.

I love poo poo like that. Servers getting walled in to the back of a closet, random equipment in a room that is bricked over, poo poo like that.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

luminalflux posted:

I was asked today if there's a way to put PHP in static HTML files. Apparently Facebook gives you a PHP snippet example for setting cache-control headers for your endpoint for some social plugin they have and they wanted to include it to speed up the facebook plugin. I explained that no, you can't run PHP in static HTML, but you can set cache-control headers in the web server by tweaking x and y settings.

"Oh thank you since facebook JS is so slow to load here we want to speed it up this way"

:staredog:

No, you can't set cache-control headers, or any other headers for that matter, for content originating from Facebook's servers :cripes:

Anything dealing with someones website and facebook is just a rabbit hole you don't want to go down. What is worse, is that due to the large amount of local servers facebook has. It can be FATNASTIC for you, but horrible for the customer, or their end users.

TLDR, avoid facebook.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

demonachizer posted:

I love poo poo like that. Servers getting walled in to the back of a closet, random equipment in a room that is bricked over..

... a fixed cupboard with marble work top being built up to a telephone point so you cant even unplug the ADSL filter, good luck to the BT engineer wanting to swap the face plate as part of a FTTC ADSL upgrade, poo poo like that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

demonachizer posted:

I love poo poo like that. Servers getting walled in to the back of a closet, random equipment in a room that is bricked over, poo poo like that.

When I was in the Navy, there were legends about workshops and hallways being accidentally sealed off on the Kitty Hawk. One guy claimed that he discovered a hallway of offices that could only be accessed via a vertical shaft.

If I found something like that, I'd have wired up a telephone and given myself an office.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

hihifellow posted:

A ticket came in!

Driving; the perfect time to get your password reset.

Confession time, I've actually done that once.

Basic thought process was: Ok I need to leave for $site in 10 minutes, I've just finished $bigtask... I know I'll call the helldesk and get them to do this trivial little thing.

Call them from my work mobile, since I'm a homeworker

10 minutes on hold later, and I'm getting into the car, still on hold.. phone transfers over to bluetooth handsfree.

20 minutes of driving later, somebody finally bothers to pick up.

HalloKitty posted:

Also, something about that is hilarious, because strong beer in the UK has classically been associated with tramps.

That word has a rather different meaning to the US people reading this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

An email from the CEO came in.

quote:

I am thinking I want the waiting room TV hooked up to net flix so we can run g rated movies. wa27, make this happen. It is too time consuming to deal with getting more stuff on that TV. Do this asap please

Nevermind bandwidth issues, commercial use issues, and finding a way to make Netflix play a playlist, just make it happen.

I'm trying to talk her into an antenna and PBS instead.

• Locked thread