Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Cloak and Dagger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeninsTomb
Aug 27, 2002
Wondering if they'll do something like the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon: prevent the DOFP future but somehow cause AoA in its stead.

If this DOFP movie is the middle of a trilogy, would be a nice, dark Empiresque ending.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Marvel wanted to make a Captain Britain movie (not likely, I'll grant) would they be able to use Psylocke?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

If Marvel wanted to make a Captain Britain movie (not likely, I'll grant) would they be able to use Psylocke?

I somehow doubt Psylocke is among the handful of characters, like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, that was included in rights with MCU and X-Men rights. She made a minor appearance in X3 so she's probably firmly stuck over there unless Marvel/Disney wants to bargain for her.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Metal Loaf posted:

It's probably not something that will ever be tried by Marvel for anybody to find out. Psylocke has already been in an X-Men film already though.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

notthegoatseguy posted:

I somehow doubt Psylocke is among the handful of characters, like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, that was included in rights with MCU and X-Men rights. She made a minor appearance in X3 so she's probably firmly stuck over there unless Marvel/Disney wants to bargain for her.

Psylocke made her debut in Captain Britain, vol. 1 #8 as opposed to an X-Men title so she might straddle the line but like you I doubt she does.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Haha a captain Britain movie would rule. They could pair that with a Moon Knight movie (he is French, non?) to work up to the Eurovengers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe they would be restricted to the Caucasian version.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

greatn posted:

Haha a captain Britain movie would rule. They could pair that with a Moon Knight movie (he is French, non?) to work up to the Eurovengers.

Only in that he has a butler named Frenchy who isn't actually French (He's a Quebecer, if I recall correctly)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

It's probably not something that will ever be tried by Marvel for anybody to find out. Psylocke has already been in an X-Men film already though.

Was that girl ever referred to as Psylocke in the movie? I know it was in the credits but the character in the movie had nothing to do with the character in the comics (which could be said about every non X-Men mutants in the movies).

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe they would be restricted to the Caucasian version.

Avengers 1 wasn't the Caucasian version???

Oh, well, I guess Nick Fury counts.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Madkal posted:

Was that girl ever referred to as Psylocke in the movie? I know it was in the credits but the character in the movie had nothing to do with the character in the comics (which could be said about every non X-Men mutants in the movies).

She was asian, had purple hair and could teleport through shadows so it was her though never mentioned by name. Though all that said I wouldn't be surprised if Singer decided to reintroduce her in what I presume will be an Age of Apocalypse type story.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Thinking about it, maybe it's Fox who has the Captain Britain film rights instead of Marvel. For large parts of his history he's been with X-Men related characters and most of his supporting cast including his sister, brother and wife are mutants.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Metal Loaf posted:

Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Whether or not she was mentioned by name in X3, she was in the movie. Fox has the rights, without question. It probably means they have Quentin Quire as well :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mostly I'd like to see it because I think Jared Harris could play Mad Jim Jaspers.

I guess someone like Benedict Cumberbatch could play Captain British. I seems like he'd have the prerequisite stiff upper lippedness.

Perhaps they could get away with having Psylocke in the movie but never calling her Psylocke? She was only ever Betsy or Elizabeth in the original Captain Britain comics, as I recall.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Metal Loaf posted:

Mostly I'd like to see it because I think Jared Harris could play Mad Jim Jaspers.

I guess someone like Benedict Cumberbatch could play Captain British. I seems like he'd have the prerequisite stiff upper lippedness.

Perhaps they could get away with having Psylocke in the movie but never calling her Psylocke? She was only ever Betsy or Elizabeth in the original Captain Britain comics, as I recall.

Idris Elba for Captain British.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Only if he's not too busy playing James Bond.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Metal Loaf posted:

Only if he's not too busy playing James Bond.

Are you saying Idris Elba as James Bond as Captain Britain is wrong?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

If it is, then I sure as hell don't want to be right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

No, I'm not. Didn't mean it to come off that way and I'm sorry if it did.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I wonder if they'll bring back Ben Foster to play Archangel, recast him or leave out the character. He's a pretty important inclusion when dealing with Apocalypse.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I would love to see Elba go around playing Captain Britain in a Sean Connery voice.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Over every other joke casting The Rock as Apocalypse would be great if and only if they make Scorpion King canon.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dacap posted:

I wonder if they'll bring back Ben Foster to play Archangel, recast him or leave out the character. He's a pretty important inclusion when dealing with Apocalypse.

That implies that Fox gives a poo poo about continuity or how the comics work

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Opopanax posted:

That implies that Fox gives a poo poo about continuity or how the comics work

Fair, but Singer had plans for Archangel as far back as X2 so I could see him trying to use the character again now that it's thematically relevant. He was completely pointless in The Last Stand though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Over every other joke casting The Rock as Apocalypse would be great if and only if they make Scorpion King canon.

Certainly, I would like to see Hugh Jackman cast against Dwayne Johnson and be broken.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Haha, I hope this isn't true because it sounds terrible. Potential (probably, hopefully fake) spoilers ahead.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/exclusive-how-x-men-days-of-future-past-teases-x-men-apocalypse/

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dacap posted:

Fair, but Singer had plans for Archangel as far back as X2 so I could see him trying to use the character again now that it's thematically relevant. He was completely pointless in The Last Stand though.

Not completely pointless. He was this guy with a major deformity (wings) and was pressured to get himself "fixed", but by embracing his otherness discovered it was actually a thing of beauty and inspired hope. If anything that was the most Singer-like thing in there.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Deadpool posted:

Haha, I hope this isn't true because it sounds terrible. Potential (probably, hopefully fake) spoilers ahead.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/exclusive-how-x-men-days-of-future-past-teases-x-men-apocalypse/

I guess it'd be one way of keeping both Fassbender and Mckellan around

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Maybe you should hide the url since part of the spoiler is in the url.

Starsnostars posted:

Psylocke made her debut in Captain Britain, vol. 1 #8 as opposed to an X-Men title so she might straddle the line but like you I doubt she does.
It's really unlikely considering both Wolverine and Sabertooth are not originally from X-books.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 7, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Metal Loaf posted:

No, I'm not. Didn't mean it to come off that way and I'm sorry if it did.

You did not, I just wanted to suggest:

TwoPair posted:

I would love to see Elba go around playing Captain Britain in a Sean Connery voice.

More or less that. Because that's something that should be in the minds and hearts of every boy and girl in the world.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Maybe you should hide the url since part of the spoiler is in the url.

I don't think it does though. It just says this movie coming out teases the next one. Which I'm pretty sure everyone would assume anyway now that another one has been announced.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

More or less that. Because that's something that should be in the minds and hearts of every boy and girl in the world.

Ah, I see now. Yes, that would be most entertaining.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The only problem with Elba as Captain Britain is who plays Union Jack?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mr. Maltose posted:

The only problem with Elba as Captain Britain is who plays Union Jack?

If I understand this casting business, Idris Elba.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Couldn't a Captain Britain film use the original pre-merger persona of Betsy Braddock and not the purple-haired anime fantasy doll without getting in trouble?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I'm inclined to assume they could use her if she's only called Betsy Braddock, because as far as I'm aware she wasn't called Psylocke until Claremont decided to the put her in the X-Men. She still had purple hair before that, though.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
That whole thing with Psylocke always struck me as one of those weird, creepy things that you'd have expected another writer to come in and retcon or otherwise write out and return things to normal. And then it never happened and now the way it is is normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, I'm inclined to assume they could use her if she's only called Betsy Braddock, because as far as I'm aware she wasn't called Psylocke until Claremont decided to the put her in the X-Men. She still had purple hair before that, though.

even if Fox has the rights to "Betsy Braddock" or even 'Elisabeth Braddock" for some reason, it seems like Marvel/Disney should be able to just give Brian the same sister and change her first name. Maybe call her Liz.

Aesthetic distinctiveness are important in copyright law. It's a lot harder to make a copyright claim stick to "British lady" than it is to make one stick to "ninja in a purple unitard". Don't see what grounds Fox could have to object

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 7, 2013

• Locked thread