Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

erotic dad posted:

Oh he definitely went on. It gets even worse. There's lots of footage I have to sift through though.

We got one other streamer that night as well, he was playing w/ a group of ex-Marines apparently so we changed our names accordingly:

LGBT was my clan tag of choice back when I used to play COD. I'm glad team LGBT lives on :911:

I know I had more than one kid who didn't know what LGBT stood for try to come up with a new "clever" acronym for it to call me gay. Oh kid, if only you knew...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Zemyla posted:

Yes, but a clever streamer wouldn't be the target of griefing like this.

Does anyone have any tales where the person being griefed rolled with it?

These guys seemed pretty cool with the MAV trolling, but I think that's because they were two guys who decided to stream for fun rather than tryhard 'look how awesome I am' streamers.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ghostlight posted:

The sole purpose of griefing is to get a negative reaction from the other person so people who roll with it more than often don't make amazing stories.

A number of years ago on World of Warcraft my friend somehow managed to overhear the details for an in-game wedding, and we spent days organising how we were going to invade it and what the timing needed to be. We ended up with around 50-60 people including an Alliance rogue we knew and had asked to snoop for us and video-capture it, co-ordinating everything over voice chat so that as soon as the 'bride' got to the altar everyone would stream over the hill and just burn the roleplayers to the ground. It went off perfectly, we laughed and took screenshots of ourselves on their skeletons, and when the ally rogue told us they were regrouping at the capital city, we followed them there and did it again among the NPC guards.

The 'groom' later forwarded us a recording of their voice-chat and while they were kind of annoyed initially, they started laughing about it on the way to their second destination and when we showed up there they thought it was hilarious. If I remember correctly they even posted to the Blizzard forums thanking us for turning up.

The griefees' response reminds me of Goon Squad kidnapping the Alliance flightmaster and taunting the Alliance about it on the forums. The Alliance players made a huge thing of searching high and low for the flightmaster, and there's no doubt at all that it would've been a better resolution for the GMs to let it play itself out.

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Having to beg for people to donate, that I can understand. People actually donating? What's all that about

You're literally watching someone sit around playing games for their own entertainment. Are most streamers massively charismatic or something? Hell even that BongRip guy has some donations scrolling across his screen, and he's just messing around and whining at the camera. This is a thing that people can literally make a living with, however fleeting?

It's cheaper to donate a few bux than it is to buy the game, and as long as you're still being entertained by the content, it's not an irrational thing to do. Assuming what she types in her donations box are true, I've seen Hafu get a $1000+ donation from one person, and regular daily donations totaling hundreds of dollars.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Ronald Nixon posted:

It's cheaper to donate a few bux than it is to buy the game, and as long as you're still being entertained by the content, it's not an irrational thing to do. Assuming what she types in her donations box are true, I've seen Hafu get a $1000+ donation from one person, and regular daily donations totaling hundreds of dollars.

She's a girl though.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

BabyFur Denny posted:

She's a girl though.

An ASIAN girl

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What is so special about asian girls anyway? I mean, why are some people so obsessed about them?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

They are the closest you can come to having an anime as a girlfriend.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

They are the closest you can come to having an anime as a girlfriend.
Of course. :ughh:

I thought those horrid hug pillows had that niche.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone remember that streamer who pretended to be paralysed from the waist down in order to guilt people into getting donations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N5gixJ2X8M

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Poil posted:

What is so special about asian girls anyway? I mean, why are some people so obsessed about them?

There's a bunch of dudes- weeaboos and MRAs, mostly- who think Asian women are all submissive waifus. It's just racism, same as you'd imagine.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

There's a bunch of dudes- weeaboos and MRAs, mostly- who think Asian women are all submissive waifus. It's just racism, same as you'd imagine.
That's even worse.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

erotic dad posted:

I had lots of footage of this guy so it'll take a good while to edit them together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meuDOeRTfcc

Oh. Oh my. I think I know this guy in real life.

Then again lots of douchey nerds start to look/sound the same after a while, so...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pope Guilty posted:

While that's certainly a part of it, I'd say for a lot of them it's just good old fashioned Xenophilia.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Anyone remember that streamer who pretended to be paralysed from the waist down in order to guilt people into getting donations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N5gixJ2X8M
:allears: Beautiful.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Poil posted:

Maybe this song will answer some questions.
It won't, it's a horribly racist song. They're about on par with the average Tough-guy poo poo-streamer.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I generally find japanese girls to be rather attractive and I hate anime, I find MRA people to be pretty much the scum of the earth and I would never last in a relationship with a partner that is submissive. Sometimes it's just taste. :(

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I pretty much find every girl attractive because I am a hot blooded male. I would never donate to anyone's Twitch feed, ever, because I am immensely jealous of the dudes on there knocking back mad skrilla.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Rutkowski posted:

I generally find japanese girls to be rather attractive and I hate anime, I find MRA people to be pretty much the scum of the earth and I would never last in a relationship with a partner that is submissive. Sometimes it's just taste. :(

Sometimes it is; mostly, however, it's an expansion on some hosed up and demeaning view of the group in question coupled with objectification as a means of domination/control. Basically, it's the meeting point for the concepts of Orientalism and Patriarchy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Okay, I'm going to just admit to my ignorance... what the gently caress does MRA stand for in this context?

I'm mildly ashamed that I don't know this but also rather glad as it sounds perverse and/or creepy.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Men's rights activist.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Okay, I'm going to just admit to my ignorance... what the gently caress does MRA stand for in this context?

I'm mildly ashamed that I don't know this but also rather glad as it sounds perverse and/or creepy.
Men's Right Advocates also known as Pick Up Artists or gently caress all women they're whores anyway why does no girl go for me im a nice guy

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Rutkowski posted:

Men's Right Advocates also known as Pick Up Artists or gently caress all women they're whores anyway why does no girl go for me im a nice guy

Nah, PUAs just think women are things to pick up at bars because they can't resist certain psychological "tricks."

MRAs think women are overstepping their bounds in search of "equality" because there are things they should do, or are naturally meant to do according to psychological or anthropological "studies"

Neither group has ever taken (and seriously understood) anything past an ANTH 110/PSYCH 110 class.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
MRAs are not the same as PUAs. There may be some PUAs that are also MRAs, but going as far as to say that they're the same is outright wrong.

EDIT: ^:argh:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

You will regret this day and will no longer be comforted by ignorance.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Present posted:

MRAs are not the same as PUAs. There may be some PUAs that are also MRAs, but going as far as to say that they're the same is outright wrong.

EDIT: ^:argh:

Internet jerk taxonomy is very important.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I may be wrong but doesn't the entire idea of PUA base itself in that the MRAs are right and a PUA should use that knowledge against women to get laid all day every day?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Here you go, find out about MRAs yourself!

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
I think both PUAs and MRAs come from the same place, a position of 'less.' They're guys that have difficulty dealing with/getting girls. The guys that get into the PUA scene, they are the ones that actively try to correct this deficiency. The MRAs are the ones that transform their frustrations into passive aggressive bitterness, and start to vilify that which they don't understand/can't get.

I was in the PUA scene for some time, and there certainly is a lot of people that view women as objects, and it's easy to lose yourself in the adrenaline and do really scummy things, and this is why PUAs have a terrible rep. But for every sleazy guy that rated every single girl he saw with a number and only talked about gently caress closes, etc, there were two socially awkward guys that just wanted to learn to be better around girls so that they had a shot a getting a girlfriend some day.

EDIT: To Clarify:

PUA: I want girls, but they aren't interested. The problem must be with me. I must change.
MRA: I want girls, but they aren't interested. The problem must be with them. Time to ridicule them on the internet until they change.

Present fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 6, 2013

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
"Be yourself" only works as advice if you're not already repulsive.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
PUAs think that women work like video games and if you can memorize the combos and cheat codes you can get laid.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

PUAs think that women work like video games and if you can memorize the combos and cheat codes you can get laid.

you say that like it isn't true.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

MadBimber posted:

you say that like it isn't true.

I do hope you aren't being serious.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Sage Grimm posted:

I do hope you aren't being serious.

It's ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA, noob :smuggo:

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I woke up this morning to install WoW and do this, but I remembered the whole "flagging" thing. Anyone know what the popular PVPRP realm is?

My favorite 3.5 character I played was an innkeeper. I rolled a level 1 human fighter and used all my initial skill points for things like local lore, profession: innkeeper and rope use. His weapon was the axe handle he kept behind the bar. It was kind of a dick thing to do to a rookie DM, considering that the rest of the players were combat-loving min-maxers, but it was still fun for the three sessions it lasted.

Oh, that reminds me of a moderate DnD trolling story. It was more luck than anything else, but consistent luck is the closest thing I have to skill.

Fake edit: holy poo poo this is really long. Basically I make a really unconventional character and murder a very strong character that is a pompous rear end in a top hat.

So, a buddy of mine was doing a "kill 'em all" Ravenloft campaign. We were starting out at level 1 and he warned us that there would be blood - no DM cheating to save characters. The group is larger than usual and filled with rules lawyers, min-maxers and combat wombats; all people who have mastered the art of fudging die rolls... and then there's me. I enjoy bad rolls as much as I enjoy good rolls, and my stats were some bad ones. My stats rolls were something like this: 17, 14, 13, 10, 10, 9 - statistically average, but oddly far below the group average. The DM's looking at my stats and thinking, well... you're gonna die quick.

So, I'm flipping through the class list and mulling my options over when, all of a sudden, it hits me: Dexterity Paladin! The minimum stats to be a paladin are something like 14 charisma, 12 wisdom and 9 strength. Most people who roll a lot of high numbers (such as one of the other players in this group) will go paladin and put their best number into strength to get huge damage bonuses with a giant sword. However, you can get a weapon specialization feat that allows you to use your dex bonus for damage if you're using a light weapon. A high dexterity also makes you harder to hit, so although it's mechanically advantageous in many ways to make a dagger-wielding dex character, no self-respecting fighter character would wade into battle with a tiny weapon. Not me though. I made a paladin with 9 strength, 17 dexterity and for my special blessed holy sword? A rapier.

None of that is really the troll part though. The trolling part comes in with that other paladin character I mentioned. The session starts, and since he's the strongest and holiest in this dark land, he starts acting bossy. He's lawful good, but he's harshly judging innocent civilians for the things they have to do to survive under the oppressive thumbs of the vampires ruling the area. He's more inquisitor than righteous warrior, and I make my opinion known. This carries on for several sessions before he makes a pompous show of power in a town full of well-meaning people: when they don't immediately show fealty to his god, he beheads one on the spot. This is a town that was strategically important - our party would have done well to make them our allies, but that's not a possibility now. I tell him he's gone too far, and he threatens to do the same to my character. I back down and start scheming.

The next session, I talk with the DM. He's a friend, and I'm about to attempt a massive dick move that might break down the group - potentially causing the drama kings & queens to import the drama into real life, so I want to get his approval. I explain my character's perceptions and motivations, he considers it for a moment, agrees and gives me the green light.

So the session starts up and I gather everyone together for a call-out in town square. I publicly denounce the other paladin's actions and accuse him of having fallen from grace. I demand that he show regret and atone for his actions. He basically tells me to go gently caress myself, so I announce that I'm smiting him. Jaws hit the floor and the DM smiles. Everyone knows that I'm the weakest combat character - the only reason I'm surviving is the paladin's healthy bonuses against evil... and after my conversation with the DM, he decided that the paladin I had denounced had, in fact, fallen from grace and was now considered evil. Also, since I was so meek and unassuming, the DM also ruled it a sneak attack.

At this point, I'm pretty pleased with myself. I don't expect to survive the combat but dammit, I took a stand against an rear end in a top hat who was doing a piss-poor job of playing to his alignment and railroading the entire game. I was ready for that character to die, right then and there, for what he believed in. However, in a remarkable twist of fate, I make my attack roll and up comes a natural 20. With the smite bonus, my dex bonus, the holy sword's bonus against evil and my critical strike roll, I killed him in one shot. His body slumps to the ground and I tell the DM that I immediately begin praying for his lost soul, that it might still find its way to the light.

The DM ended that session there so the guy could make his next character, and the campaign tapered off after another session or three because the guy who played the paladin I killed kept trying to find reasons for his subsequent character to hate me and want me dead.

This owns and reminds me of my current DM (we'll call C) when we were playing Warhammer Fantasy RP with another friend DMing (we'll call M).

C had a ton of chaos but it wasn't totally apparent, but definitely was hinted at. I was a doo-gooder and its been a while so I forget the details, but suffice to say one day he was reading chaos magic bullshit in an inn by himself, I stroll in his door and see him reading it, and try immediately tying him down to the bed so I can alert the others and get to the bottom of it. He throws me off, so I make do with the short length of chain I have on my person and beat him to death quite promptly with a small bit of chain.

He (C) is currently DMing and throwing everything at my current piddling character to die, and I'm doing pretty well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Present posted:

I think both PUAs and MRAs come from the same place, a position of 'less.'
Both PUAs and MRAs come from the place of thinking that women are another species.

Are there any good StarBound griefs yet? I know it's only been 48 hours but I have faith in the internet.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 6, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ok, guys please stop. I regret asking already. :gonk: :can:

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

Poil posted:

We both know you can't stop this now, someone might be wrong about something on the internet! The difference between these two really are *white noise*

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Here's an old, simple grief that i don't remember seeing in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OiamBxxoXA

Poil posted:

It's really, really rare to have a chance to have a funny crosspost come out of the feminism thread though

docbeard posted:

A beta male is a more-or-less feature-complete, but unfinished male released early for either promotional or testing reasons. It'll probably work okay, but will certainly need further refinement before its final release.

An alpha male is a barely functional preliminary version of a male, one which might have some merit but which in no way is meant to represent the finished product.

This has been your Feminist Video Game Chat Moment for the day.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Tulip posted:

Here's an old, simple grief that i don't remember seeing in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OiamBxxoXA

It's really, really rare to have a chance to have a funny crosspost come out of the feminism thread though

As someone that has read this thread from the first page, I have definitely seen that before. But it's an oldie but Goldie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Poil posted:

I am genuinely, profoundly, bitterly sorry that I asked and hope that the entire Internet* will forgive me.

*I am not nearly stupid and/or naïve enough to think that that will ever happen.

• Locked thread