Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Delitainers are the only kind of container you should ever need. Dirt cheap if you buy enough, then just toss em out when they get stained/stink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Delitainers are the only kind of container you should ever need. Dirt cheap if you buy enough, then just toss em out when they get stained/stink.

I ordered some of these (well, Reditainers) a couple months ago on this thread's advice and they've been seriously fantastic. I never knew I could like containers so much.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sure. This is as good a thread as any for this question. I'm looking into picking up a baking steel. Thinking 15" x 15" x 3/8". The modernist cuisine one is a silly $99. Anyone have experience ordering stuff from steel fabrication places? From casual googling I see words like "hot rolled" "cold rolled" "sheet and plate". Which kind of steel am I looking for? I gather carbon steel is probably best. What kind of price should i be looking at?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sure. This is as good a thread as any for this question. I'm looking into picking up a baking steel. Thinking 15" x 15" x 3/8". The modernist cuisine one is a silly $99. Anyone have experience ordering stuff from steel fabrication places? From casual googling I see words like "hot rolled" "cold rolled" "sheet and plate". Which kind of steel am I looking for? I gather carbon steel is probably best. What kind of price should i be looking at?

I went to a place and showed them a picture and told them the dimensions. A day later I picked it up all pretty and sandblasted. That is to say, I have not a drat clue what kind of steel or whatnot I have.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would think if you told them you're going to use it for food they'd know what kind of steel would be best.

It seems like steel fab companies are pretty common on google, might have to try it as well

Deimos, how much was yours?

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Hot rolled and cold rolled steel are different in composition and how they respond to heat treatments and high forces, which for your purposes is kind of irrelevant. For cooking, I'd say you want a food grade stainless sheet such as 304 stainless, but a steel fabricator would know better.

One Swell Foop fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 2, 2013

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

GrAviTy84 posted:

A36: hot rolled. Probably the most popular option as it's the cheapest. It may need prepwork if the scale is flakey.
1018: cold rolled. It's nearly the same chemically as A36 but cold rolling leaves it with a better surface finish.
304 grade (18/8, 18/10): "food grade stainless". Will do unkind things to your wallet.

Foil, Sheet and Plate are thickness categories. 3/8" is plate.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I went with a 14x16x.25 piece of cheap plate steel and couldn't be happier. I think it was $16 out the door, jagged edges and minor scale included. Spend about an hour with a metal file and some sandpaper and you're golden.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there any type of stainless steel that's really not going to be "food-safe?"

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 2, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Is there any type of stainless steel that's really not going to be "food-safe?"

Casual internetting has led me to believe that it is petroleum lubricants used in the fab process that makes it not food safe but consensus seems to be that washing thoroughly and seasoning like you would cast iron can fix that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr Executive posted:

I actually have a couple pyrex dishes like this that we use and I like them (plan on keeping them). That being said, I'm not very confident in the lids being leak-proof and the extra weight isn't great for taking to work. Also, I'm not thrilled about throwing a glass dish in my laptop bag or my wife's purse where it can smash around on poo poo. If these didn't need to commute, I would probably get all glass.
I feel the same way. I have Pyrex with the leak-proof lids and they really are, but for taking food to work, Rubbermaid plastic is hard to beat.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I paid $60 for 18x16x.5 but it was jet cut (I had them cut handle holes) and sandblasted.

edit: I'd post a picture but my brother is currently holding it hostage.

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 2, 2013

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I want to get my girlfriend a hand mixer as (part of) an Xmas gift. I'd like to keep the cost under $75, and the Cuisinart and KA 5 speed models are well within my budget. It'll mostly be used for whipped cream, batters, and maybe the occasional cookie dough. Nothing too crazy and it'll probably only see use once or twice a month. Basically I want something that'll work well and last a few years, look good and not break the bank. It's a gift so I don't mind spending some money, but it doesn't need to be pro quality or anything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Either one should be fine

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My aunt is looking to replace her Braun Multiquick 7 hand blender. What's the best cordless hand blender on the market right now? I've tried to convince her to get a Bamix, but she would much rather have cordless.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

got a quote from local fab shop:

Hot Rolled Steel Plate
1 pc 3/8" x 14" x 16"
$40.80 + tax $3.27 = $44.07

OR

Hot Rolled Steel Plate
1 pc 1/4" x 14" x 16"
$33.04 + tax $2.65 = $35.69

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'd probably go quarter inch because I don't expect to make more than two pizzas in a row

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd spend the extra money.

grav, you might try out onlinemetals.com they are local to me and I've used them in the past.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

dakana posted:

I like to buy blocks of cheese so I can use it in different ways -- grate/shred it, cube it, slice it for crackers, etc. However, it is the biggest pain in the rear end for me to try to slice relatively thin, uniform slices for sandwiches. I've tried a chef's knife, two different wire slicers, and a mandoline slicer. Nothing seems to work very well to get nice, even wide slices for sandwiches.

Am I looking for an inexpensive product that doesn't exist? It seems like when I cut something like marbled colby jack, low-moisture mozzarella, or even sharp cheddar, the block starts to compress in on itself or otherwise deforms before the cutting implement is able to slice through. It's like there's just too much friction. Everything is awkward. Everything sucks. I just want nice cheese slices.

I've always used a bread knife to slice cheese. The broad, one-sided serration doesn't gum up, and pushes the slice away from the blade so things don't really stick. The only things it doesn't work so well for are really crumbly cheeses (ie. 3+ year old cheddar) or really sticky soft cheeses (ie. brie-type stuff). But then even the sticky ones can be cut fairly cleanly with a little care.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

IR thermometer sale at thermoworks this week

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/

considering getting that 16bux one

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What's the point of an IR thermometer, to see how hot the cast iron pan you're preheating is and poo poo? Also that $16 one apparently only goes up to 230 F.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

What's the point of an IR thermometer, to see how hot the cast iron pan you're preheating is and poo poo? Also that $16 one apparently only goes up to 230 F.

I use it for checking cast iron temp and deep fry oil temp. My dad uses it for checking grill temps, and I also use it for checking hvac registers to see heat and ac air temps.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
IR thermometers are good for checking cast iron/nonstick pan temp

Also, for checking the temp of liquids without having to wash a thermapen. It's not terribly accurate (my friend had one and ours disagreed by 5-8°F), but it's close enough and although it only gets surface temps if you stir the liquid around it's good enough.

edit: ^^^ I don't think you even need to bother stirring to get oil temps in fact

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 6, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
A limit of 230F seems way too low to be useful in the kitchen though, I would definitely go for the next model up so you can tell when a pan surface is 350F+.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

A limit of 230F seems way too low to be useful in the kitchen though, I would definitely go for the next model up so you can tell when a pan surface is 350F+.

Exactly, I was just pointing that out to Gravity in case he missed it since 230 isn't really that useful for cooking applications.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Exactly, I was just pointing that out to Gravity in case he missed it since 230 isn't really that useful for cooking applications.

Ah good catch thanks.

I plan on using it for checking things like pizza steel temperature. Grill temp. Etc. Assorted surfaces and stuff my thermapen can't read easily.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Stainless steel doesn't show up accurately on IR thermometers though, it's always 100-200°F lower than the real temperature

edit: MAYBE if it's seasoned pretty well, I'm not sure. Worth testing out when you get yours!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 6, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

edit: ^^^ I don't think you even need to bother stirring to get oil temps in fact

Yeah I think because the oil is clear or close enough, it gives a better reading than just a surface temp.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah I think because the oil is clear or close enough, it gives a better reading than just a surface temp.

I thought it was because oil's thermal conductivity was so high the temp variation throughout the oil is pretty low. I could be wrong, though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

I thought it was because oil's thermal conductivity was so high the temp variation throughout the oil is pretty low. I could be wrong, though.

Maybe. I have no idea why it works, I've just noticed that with oil it's pretty accurate.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Stainless steel doesn't show up accurately on IR thermometers though, it's always 100-200°F lower than the real temperature

The perfect thing to measure temp with an IR thermometer is a piece of masking tape. If you have a shiny pan and don't think a piece of tape will ruin your life shine the gun at that.

OR

You could do math. The reading is based on the emissivity of the material, and a cheap IR thermometer assumes you're pointing it at something at e=0.95, but the relationship is linear, so you can always scale by the factors here: http://www.infrared-thermography.com/material-1.htm

So for example, you have a "200F" shiny stainless pot, multiply 200 * 0.95 / (whatever the conversion factor is). You could measure the conversion factor by getting your pan to a known temperature (say full of oil with a known good thermometer) measuring it with the IR and then remembering what you multiply by to get the right number.

I'm really sick so apologies for the rambling, nickel's emissivity is 0.05 but I'd bet burnt on imperfections in your pan get its emissivity higher than that.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I just exclaimed while cooking yesterday "I loving love my IR thermometer!" and my girl just smiled and was like thats nice honey.

I use it a lot for oil temperatures (seems like other people do) - I used it to quickly check a pan of hot oil I had on my grill in the pitch dark last night (what, I'm not crazy, frying poo poo outside is *totally* the way to go)

I also use it for quickly checking large pots of stuff where I don't care too much what the actual temperature is - like when bringing water to a boil or something.

I don't use it for checking the temperature of a dry pan though, I really don't understand what that accomplishes.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I check my cast iron dry before I lay a steak down in it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish Thermapens weren't so drat expensive. I need a good instant read thermometer for when I bbq.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thermapen makes a $25 version. It takes 6 seconds to temp instead of 3.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Big kitchen score today! Went shopping and found some stuff on sale.

6 clip jars for £5
Huge potato ricer for £12 (triangle shape)
Bamix SliceSy for £22 :fap:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
We were interested in getting a blender to make smoothies and so on since we are trying to eat healthier (get more veggies in etc). I have a food processor and a stick blender so we don't need to worry about that aspect of it.

Any recommendations on what a decent one is that isn't too loud (or expensive!!) but can make decent smoothies/milkshakes etc?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
At $100 several people here have said good things about the Ninja. At $200, the Breville Hemisphere (don't get the cheaper Breville blender, it's badly reviewed). If you can afford more, get a Vitamix.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Awesome...thanks for the advice. Will look them up and see what I can find!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Toronto goons: Degrees has the Ez-Duz-It can openers in stock. These are the rebranded original Swing-Away can openers made in the old factory before they were bought out and moved to China. Weighs a ton!

• Locked thread