Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Brawnfire posted:

Imagine, if you will, the USS Enterprise. The saucer section contains a single, massive open green space. Trees, gardens, ponds and hills dot the landscape. Crew members live and often work from their homes, spacious and comfortable cabins scattered about the fields. Everything is made to resemble Earth and carry its culture and the culture of allied worlds: Sculptures and historical structures are all over the place, and art museums carrying a sampling of human works through history. The bridge and other essential non-engineering meeting places are all clustered together in a "town" like area. Basically, the bridge is town hall, sickbay is the clinic, there's a schoolhouse, Troi's counselling tent, whatever.

By doing this, not only have we made the Enterprise more livable and representative of its homeworld, but we've also taken away the dull endless corridor shots, and made the bridge more secure.

Agreed, and I've thought the same thing for a while.

In fact, the Enterprise-D actually DOES have some wide, open areas. It has a big green park and a big waterfall lounge that's multiple levels and bigger than ten forward and a room with loving whales in it, but we never saw any of these as they were well beyond the show's budget.

The refit Enterprise has a little park area too, and you can actually see it through the windows just barely in some of the movies as it's on the model.

But yes, one thing that does sort of bug me is that in all the shows, the sets DO feel pretty small and cramped. Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one of the few times where we really get to feel like the Enterprise is big, as it has a lot of big, open sets and matte paintings.

DS9 feels a lot bigger than the various starships most series take place on, and even then, DS9 feels like it's just the promenade, Sisko's office and then a bunch of identical looking hallways and small apartments.

Pretty much, due to budget concerns, everything feels a lot smaller than it's supposed to be in the fiction and sets are very claustrophobic. I wonder what they could do today now that CGI is really cheap and shows like Battlestar Galatica made sets look a lot bigger than they were with CGI backgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Man you aren't kidding.

I mean, of all the show crossovers he wants to do, loving Sliders? And that doesn't touch on his contempt for DS9.

Well, it's not like Jerry O'Connell is really doing a lot these days.

I'm particularly fond of the idea that he thinks the idea of command crew being part of away teams (which is pretty much as core to Star Trek as anything else) is something that should be discarded. Oh, and that his lovely grognard magazine fanfiction is any good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Agreed, and I've thought the same thing for a while.

In fact, the Enterprise-D actually DOES have some wide, open areas. It has a big green park and a big waterfall lounge that's multiple levels and bigger than ten forward and a room with loving whales in it, but we never saw any of these as they were well beyond the show's budget.

The refit Enterprise has a little park area too, and you can actually see it through the windows just barely in some of the movies as it's on the model.

But yes, one thing that does sort of bug me is that in all the shows, the sets DO feel pretty small and cramped. Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one of the few times where we really get to feel like the Enterprise is big, as it has a lot of big, open sets and matte paintings.

DS9 feels a lot bigger than the various starships most series take place on, and even then, DS9 feels like it's just the promenade, Sisko's office and then a bunch of identical looking hallways and small apartments.

Pretty much, due to budget concerns, everything feels a lot smaller than it's supposed to be in the fiction and sets are very claustrophobic. I wonder what they could do today now that CGI is really cheap and shows like Battlestar Galatica made sets look a lot bigger than they were with CGI backgrounds.

That's before you get to the fact that every homeworld and colony is the same still shot of an obvious painted background followed by the same drat set with minor alterations.

edit: this includes Earth.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Places we get to see on Earth (not counting time travel episodes): San Francisco, Paris, New Orleans, La Barre, Florida, Broken Bow, Brazil. Did I miss anything?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

New Zealand, when Tom Paris first appears in Voyager. We got mentioned a buttload in DS9, but the shame of only appearing onscreen on Voyager is an eternal stain on this country.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
New Zealand, the world's most scenic penal colony.

e: f;b

Or the alternate timeline where he is a pool shark in Marseille.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Don't forget Iowa and wherever Scotty ends up getting drunk, if we're counting the JJ movies

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Gau posted:

Places we get to see on Earth (not counting time travel episodes): San Francisco, Paris, New Orleans, La Barre, Florida, Broken Bow, Brazil. Did I miss anything?

The New Orleans sets were nice. I wish they shot on location more. Yeah, I know, it's expensive.

Also I don't mind starfighters in Star Trek because they're cool. Of course they've only appeared in a few episodes and have been pretty useless whenever they're shown... and yeah, actual ground troops with military gear only showed up in like 2 episodes of DS9 out of like 700 Star Trek episodes.

But if you think the lack of ground troops and fighter planes in Star Trek is odd, that's nothing compared to the lack of spacesuits. Star Trek isn't usually a war show, but it IS a space show, after all. Spacesuits do show up from time to time - there's a couple TOS episodes with them, they're seen in TMP, Star Trek VI and First Contact, and there's some episodes that use the first contact suits occationaly after, but they're rare. I don't think we see any starfleet spacesuits in TNG at all.

They keep finding class M planets which have a breathable atmosphere and earth's gravity, apparently that's really common. And also it seems like nobody ever has to go on a spacewalk to fix anything on the outside of the ship after it gets shot by phasers. Not only do they put explosives in their computer consoles, they don't even bother to patch up the holes from that last battle.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Or they don't bother showing us when they do repairs, because it's boring. Star Trek is a space adventure, not a space simulator.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Gau posted:

In that Enterprise episode with the Borg they find the sphere in the Arctic.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Don't forget Iowa and wherever Scotty ends up getting drunk, if we're counting the JJ movies

We also see London in Into Darkness.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

You know we don't. :colbert:

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Lowen SoDium posted:

You know we don't. :colbert:

I have serious doubts that was even Iowa, as they were building a starship in the middle of a cornfield. It was probably just a hallucination or something.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I have serious doubts that was even Iowa, as they were building a starship in the middle of a cornfield. It was probably just a hallucination or something.

A hallucinatory megaproject in the middle of an Iowa cornfield? James Kirk is the reincarnation of the lead designer's dad!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Or they don't bother showing us when they do repairs, because it's boring. Star Trek is a space adventure, not a space simulator.
It would be an awesome space adventure to be all "The sensors are picking something up but nothing's showing up anywhere what the heck" and they do all their spacegunk of depolarizing the hull by running an inverse tachyon beam through the deflector dish and nothing's there, only to put on a space suit and walk on the outside of the hull to find a creature being all OH DIP THERE'S TALKING MEAT INSIDE THIS SPACECLAM WHAT UP and they can't get back in for some reason and it's a crazy survival episode of some bridgebros running around the outside of the Enterprise while everyone inside is just going gently caress WHAT THE DICKENS IS GOING ON OUR SPACEMAGIC AIN'T WORKING

There's your dang Space Adventure :crossarms:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gul Dukat was the best Trek villain.

Yup even better than Khan (Mexican OR white version.)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Otisburg posted:

Gul Dukat was the best Trek villain.

Yup even better than Khan (Mexican OR white version.)

He got really lame at the end. Khan was awesome the whole way through :colbert:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYPsoxpt0BU

This is good Trek

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Farecoal posted:

He got really lame at the end. Khan was awesome the whole way through :colbert:

Okay the very end when it got all Lord Of The Rings lame oh space fantasy on us. But like thats still six and a half seasons of rad.

Also Khan got lame in Star Trek XII

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Gul Dukat legitimately makes me wonder if they have birth control in the StarTrek future, dude certainly makes quite a few bastard offspring.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I like the ending with Dukat.:jeb:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LeafyOrb posted:

Gul Dukat legitimately makes me wonder if they have birth control in the StarTrek future, dude certainly makes quite a few bastard offspring.

Dukat ain't takin' a shower wearing a raincoat.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, maybe some guy goes to fix a hole in the hull, and they hit like... a space bump, and now he's hanging on for dear life!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LeafyOrb posted:

It's apparently easy to gently caress up considering Sisko forgot to do his monthly hypospray or whatever and accidentally knocked up Kasidy. You'd think they'd be doing trivially-reversible micro-snips or whatever, but we have to have unplanned pregnancies in the 24th century.

That said it would not surprise me in the slightest if Dukat was getting off on the notion that he was impregnating a bunch of Bajoran women. Remember when he went and founded that spacecult and then some of the babies started coming out with spoonheads?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, maybe some guy goes to fix a hole in the hull, and they hit like... a space bump, and now he's hanging on for dear life!

Or maybe... maybe there's something wrong with the main reactor! And they have exactly sixty seconds to fix it, or the whole ship will explode!! And they can't just shut it down or eject it or something because... uh... because it's broken! Yeah!

(dear god i hate "ticking time-bomb" bullshit)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Anyway serious answer if you want the show to be real enough as to show dudes going out to fix holes, it would also be real enough that there would be at least one other guy either inside the ship or in a shuttlepod or whatever helping out, who could just call the transporter room and say "hey could you guys beam in this doofus who forgot to use his spaceclamps, thanks."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Or maybe... maybe there's something wrong with the main reactor! And they have exactly sixty seconds to fix it, or the whole ship will explode!! And they can't just shut it down or eject it or something because... uh... because it's broken! Yeah!

(dear god i hate "ticking time-bomb" bullshit)

Hey, maybe if Spock had a full radiation suit he might not have died!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

There's a hole in the hull? Just a second, I've got this plate of leftover mashed potatoes over here...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Delsaber posted:

There's a hole in the hull? Just a second, I've got this plate of leftover mashed potatoes over here...

It's cool I put Neelix in there and he's pluggin' the breech pretty good. Won't stop hollerin' but that'll stop soon enough.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's apparently easy to gently caress up considering Sisko forgot to do his monthly hypospray or whatever and accidentally knocked up Kasidy. You'd think they'd be doing trivially-reversible micro-snips or whatever, but we have to have unplanned pregnancies in the 24th century.

That said it would not surprise me in the slightest if Dukat was getting off on the notion that he was impregnating a bunch of Bajoran women. Remember when he went and founded that spacecult and then some of the babies started coming out with spoonheads?

Knowing Dukat, he probably thought he was doing the Bajoran gene pool a favour.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gammatron 64 posted:

They keep finding class M planets which have a breathable atmosphere and earth's gravity, apparently that's really common. And also it seems like nobody ever has to go on a spacewalk to fix anything on the outside of the ship after it gets shot by phasers. Not only do they put explosives in their computer consoles, they don't even bother to patch up the holes from that last battle.

That's what the R2 units are for

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It was a lovely episode but Sisko's insanity in Dramatis Personae was completely hilarious on more than one occasion.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
"It's a clock!"

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That was the point I started paying more attention to him, because he was obviously taking it to another level. Kira was nasty and bad.. but Sisko was loving crazy. There is a later scene with O'Brien and O'Brien suggests they need to leave the station to get away from Kira and Sisko jumps up and loving booms 'NEVER! Give me a phaser and I'll kill Kira!' or something. It was completely hardcore.

Just gained more respect for Brook's chops with that ep, but the actual scifin was lovely.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Avery Brooks is a goddamn national treasure.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I have a weird soft spot for "the crew goes crazy!" episodes, even if most of them are sort of terrible. I'd put Dramatis Personae at the top end of that group along with Singularity, with the likes of Fascination or The Naked Now at the bottom. As mentioned, it's all thanks to Sisko. I'm trying to recall any similar performance from Brooks elsewhere in the series but nothing really comes to mind.

"It's a clock!" used to be on YouTube somewhere but seems to be gone now, unfortunately.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Whalley posted:

Avery Brooks is a goddamn national treasure.

He's ah-maze-ing.
:sissies:

There is a dude who I play little toy spaceships with with the new Wizkids game who has a signed Sisko Captain card to go with his Defiant and I sort of want to kill him and take it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Delsaber posted:

I have a weird soft spot for "the crew goes crazy!" episodes, even if most of them are sort of terrible. I'd put Dramatis Personae at the top end of that group along with Singularity, with the likes of Fascination or The Naked Now at the bottom. As mentioned, it's all thanks to Sisko. I'm trying to recall any similar performance from Brooks elsewhere in the series but nothing really comes to mind.

"It's a clock!" used to be on YouTube somewhere but seems to be gone now, unfortunately.

IT'S REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gammatron 64 posted:

They keep finding class M planets which have a breathable atmosphere and earth's gravity, apparently that's really common.

See, I think they've already charted these systems and know certain ones are dead or uninteresting, so they only see the interesting systems ever. It's not that there's just M-class everywhere, but we get to skip the three weeks of shuttling boring freight around between cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

See, I think they've already charted these systems and know certain ones are dead or uninteresting, so they only see the interesting systems ever. It's not that there's just M-class everywhere, but we get to skip the three weeks of shuttling boring freight around between cool stuff.

Given that everyone is either a human or a human with some latex poo poo glued to their face, it makes sense that everything important happens on M-class planets. I mean as long as you can get all the volatiles and minerals and poo poo you need from asteroids and you have plenty of living space with copious M-classes why bother with Fartron Epsilon, the Methane World?

• Locked thread