Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The McLaren seems to be a lot more fun with street tires. I'm slip sliding all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Supposed to get my CSS SQ shifter on Tuesday. Can't wait.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They did something to the lighting, it's bright white on the tracks in the Rift to the point where you can't see anything.
Still, on the plus side this made me discover the time of day settings for driving and 18.00 is drop dead gorgeous with the low light and long shadows.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is there a steering lock adjustment for the cars anywhere? Assetto Corsa plays mostly fine on a gamepad, but oversteering the tires beyond their useful radius is a problem for me anyway.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is there a steering lock adjustment for the cars anywhere? Assetto Corsa plays mostly fine on a gamepad, but oversteering the tires beyond their useful radius is a problem for me anyway.

I had trouble until I went through the whole setup process for my wheel in-game. Not sure if you can do the same thing with a gamepad?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Is there a way to get braking distance markers to show on the side of the track? Are they even in the game? Are the developers planning to put them in the game? Are they actually there and I'm just unable to see them? :iiam:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
No idea, there are none in at the moment. If you have the driving line on the idea is brake when it's red, but this is very hit and miss at the moment.

In sims you are supposed to eventually pick up on your environment for braking cues, for example in iRacing I know that going into the corkscrew turn at Laguna Seca I need to be in third and go in tight left and as a tree lines up with my rear view mirror I need to be doing about 55mph then turn hard right then floor it, that kind of thing.

It does work but it depends on being really familiar with the tracks.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Well it's not like you're going to be close to a racing pace if you don't know the track really well so whatever. Maybe they'll edit some in to the existing tracks, who knows.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah you get a feel of a track and know when to brake by the time you are racing well, agreed.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So I'm going to order a g27. I'm wondering if someone can describe what the pedals feel like? Like, do they have any sort of "feel" at all?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Google Butt posted:

So I'm going to order a g27. I'm wondering if someone can describe what the pedals feel like? Like, do they have any sort of "feel" at all?

Accelerator and clutch have a nice lite feel to them, with a little tension. The brake is rather heavy, though its the same constancy the whole way down rather then starting lite and getting heavier. Its not really an issue, and there are mods out there for it.

For the price, its a great wheel and you wont regret it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Another question, my desk is 1.5" of solid wood (built it myself :smuggo:). Will I have to figure out a custom mounting solution?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Not at all. That should be absolutely perfect.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah my desk is about that thickness and it fits well.
When you get it you may find that it doesn't fit, don't worry - there are two black plastic blocks pre attached to the fitment mechanism for people with thin desks, kind of like cube shaped. They pop off after a bit of wiggling.
That threw me at first!

Edit: Also the pedals are great (you only get better by paying much much more) but if you don't like them there are plenty of mods you can do, like the Load Cell Brake mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4zMCdqjyZU

Try it for a week or so first though, I settled into them and love them. They have a kick rear end mechanism underneath them for gripping onto your carpet as well.

It rotates so you can have it in or out depending on surface, you can see it here:
http://rwlabs.com/images/articles/logitech/g27/logitech_g27_035.JPG

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 8, 2013

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah my desk is about that thickness and it fits well.
When you get it you may find that it doesn't fit, don't worry - there are two black plastic blocks pre attached to the fitment mechanism for people with thin desks, kind of like cube shaped. They pop off after a bit of wiggling.
That threw me at first!

You have changed my life.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Anyone here have young kids and an older Logitech wheel? I found that one of these foam blocks makes a perfect load cell.

It dropped right into the assembly and made a huge difference for me. I have a Driving Force Pro that I bought way back when GT4 was about to come out.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I honestly don't care much for sims, but I was looking to see if you guys knew anything about wheels, then the wheel section of the OP was completely empty. :( Could anyone give me a breakdown of what's going on with wheels nowadays? Is it just Logitech, or is there any competition in the field? Where do I go if I just want something that feels like driving stick?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

YourAverageJoe posted:

I honestly don't care much for sims, but I was looking to see if you guys knew anything about wheels, then the wheel section of the OP was completely empty. :( Could anyone give me a breakdown of what's going on with wheels nowadays? Is it just Logitech, or is there any competition in the field? Where do I go if I just want something that feels like driving stick?

G25 / G27 is you your cheapest entry into "diving stick" I believe. But if you're not that keen on sims, its kind of a waste.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tehsid posted:

G25 / G27 is you your cheapest entry into "diving stick" I believe. But if you're not that keen on sims, its kind of a waste.

Exactly this.
You've got your bargain end of the scale which can be very hit and miss, the products come and go in this range all the time.
Then you have the high end stuff which can be amazing but I'd only recommend that if you really really get into racing.

Then there is the middle ground - the place you want to be in my opinion - where the Logitech G25 and G27 have sat unchanged for years.
They are brilliant I think. The main difference between the G27 and G27 is that the 27 has more buttons on the wheel which is nice but the 25 has both a H shifter and sequential shifter in one whereas the 27 has no sequential setting.
You won't miss that probably as that is taken care of using the paddle shift (which both wheels have).
They also tweaked the design of the 27s cogs so it feels a bit smoother in operation.

Both these wheels plug right into a PC or PS3 no problem, I think they work on PS4 too.

Logitech also do the Driving Force which is a great thing. That sits inbetween the budget wheels and the G25 / G27s - Loads on Ebay at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/logitech-driving-force-gt-wheel

That would get you going, but if you can spend the extra get a G25 or 27.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I've owned the Logitech Driving Force Pro, GT, and now the g27 for various Gran Turismo and PC games. If I didn't know I would stick with racing games the GT (or DF Pro if you're really unsure) is more than enough, but for your second wheel or you know you'll stick with it, just get the g27 or 25.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
PSA: The selectable GT Slick tires in PCARS are all Flexi now.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I got myself Assetto Corsa, I already have a Driving Force GT and extensive background in driving to and from work, plus Euro Truck Simulator 2, obviously. After trying to drive a few laps around Silverstone, I've decided I'd make an awesome snowplow driver.
So how should I tackle this? Are there any good virtual racing schools, whether it's in a sim or a site?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

my guess is there's got to be a snowplow simulator created by the Germans somewhere.
snowenplowzen simulator
or at least a winter implement simulator
or something crazy like that, the Germans simulate everything.

edit:
probably the closest thing :)
http://www.skiregion-simulator.com/sr2012Purchase.php

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 11, 2013

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
http://unews.utah.edu/wp-content/uploads/snowplow_image.jpg

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Ledenko posted:

I got myself Assetto Corsa, I already have a Driving Force GT and extensive background in driving to and from work, plus Euro Truck Simulator 2, obviously. After trying to drive a few laps around Silverstone, I've decided I'd make an awesome snowplow driver.
So how should I tackle this? Are there any good virtual racing schools, whether it's in a sim or a site?

I'm on my phone as I can't link it. But in the PGS forum we have an iracing thread, and on the last page somebody linked a great video on cornering feat. The skip. If somebody could thank it in here it would be great for you to look at.

Else, just take it slow and learn the racing line, break points and layout a single track. Then once your comfortable setting consistent clean laps, try another. It will take time, but you'll get there.

And drive a slower car first. Get the feel of it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What is the PGS forum?
Edit: Private Games, sorry, got it!

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ledenko posted:

Grab a beverage and watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM

and some (mostly covered in the video) reading: http://www.drivingfast.net/

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 11, 2013

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I've always liked this video with Jackie Stewart talking about basic race driving with Roman Polanksi.

Might be NSFW if a half-naked Scotsman is not a safe thing to watch at your workplace.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I've always liked this video with Jackie Stewart talking about basic race driving with Roman Polanksi.

Might be NSFW if a half-naked Scotsman is not a safe thing to watch at your workplace.

That doesn't really tell you anything about how to drive a car fast. It's a cool video, though.

edit: poo poo well I guess it does, but watch the god drat Skip video and look at that site, also. There's loads of info.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

An Enormous Boner posted:

That doesn't really tell you anything about how to drive a car fast. It's a cool video, though.

edit: poo poo well I guess it does, but watch the god drat Skip video and look at that site, also. There's loads of info.

Well the Jackie Stewart video is not so much about how to push your car to the limits, but more a few tips about avoiding beginner's mistakes and handling your weight transfers right. Explained in a great Scottish accent.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

What is the PGS forum?
Edit: Private Games, sorry, got it!

nevermind you got it.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Well the Jackie Stewart video is not so much about how to push your car to the limits, but more a few tips about avoiding beginner's mistakes and handling your weight transfers right. Explained in a great Scottish accent.

I love him. These videos are great (search for "jackie stewart tests" for more):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPEEganqfs

He's just super fun to watch and listen to.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Anybody who's thinking about trying iRacing - there is a 3 for 1 month membership thing going on for new members right now.

http://www.iracing.com/promotions/3-for-1/

(So $12 for 3 months with PR-2FREE as the promocode)

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Finally decided to give iRacing a shot. I had checked for other deals quickly ... and found that This Free 3-Month Trial is still working as well.

Time to dig out the DF-GT.

edit: Omg .. this is fun. Feel like a tit for not trying this before.

pvax fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 13, 2013

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

pvax posted:

Finally decided to give iRacing a shot. I had checked for other deals quickly ... and found that This Free 3-Month Trial is still working as well.

Time to dig out the DF-GT.

edit: Omg .. this is fun. Feel like a tit for not trying this before.

I signed up for this. Should I activate my code now or am I safe to wait until I get my wheel at the end of month?

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Hell yes! I just finished my first race on iRacing. Started 10th, finished 5th, raised my safety rating. Nobody even yelled at me! It doesn't seem like it should be this exciting but it took me like 3 weeks of practice (and utter rage) just to stay on the loving road... even though I played the poo poo out of RBR and the SimBin titles. Maybe I can get somewhere in this game after all.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I couldn't get into iRacing at all. Knowing how much money I'd have to shell out just to play in the non-rookie championships for the various tracks and cars really killed any enthusiasm I had for continued play in that game. And knowing that I'd be paying 15 dollars a month just to play and increase my rating to the point where I could then give them more money for those things made me feel like there wasn't really much point in continuing past the first cheap 3 months. On top of that, at the time the physics model for the Williams Formula 1 car were awful, and the guys driving in that league at the top were very openly negative about it. No idea what it's like now since you can't read their forums or watch races without a subscription (the latter is really stupid of them) or even check my old profile. And all the endless promotion and branding in a subscription based game...

I ended up only playing the game for about 3 weeks. I won two races in the rookie leagues using the Mazda MX-5 in the first week of the season and was actually the only rookie to do it for one of the leagues that week (I found out months later). The second week of the season had the rookie championship on a track I didn't really care for, and I had less time to practise, so I just walked away.

What I'm saying is iRacing is cool for the number of people it has playing, it's cool for having a driveable MX-5, but everything else just killed my enjoyment.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I can't do iracing knowing I have to pay a sub fee THEN pay for cars and tracks. If I could buy a cat and track and tool around I'd be okay or if it was a monthly I'd be okay, but a subscription with IAP no thanks.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
The funny thing is Forza 5's microtransactions make iRacing look cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AgentCow007 posted:

The funny thing is Forza 5's microtransactions make iRacing look cheap.

Gran Turismo 6 is pretty bad too. $150 for some of the cars.

tater_salad posted:

I can't do iracing knowing I have to pay a sub fee THEN pay for cars and tracks. If I could buy a cat and track and tool around I'd be okay or if it was a monthly I'd be okay, but a subscription with IAP no thanks.

I think if iRacing dumped the monthly fee, they would have way more players then they do now. The devs claim that they can't sustain their business model like that though.

• Locked thread