Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I don't remember Penny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

fritz posted:

I don't remember Penny?

satan!!! posted:

A throwback to the first ever Achewood storyline

Here's a hint on how you can jog your memory.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

fritz posted:

I don't remember Penny?

Here have a link that might help?

Actually that indicates to me that Penny wasn't a human in the first place. She's met Ray and not been freaked out by a talking cat in a thong.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Word up, I look just like Archie.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I am weirdly excited for the return of a decade old plot in a webcomic about cats and also a teddy bear.

Fillerbunny posted:

...and another teddy bear and a stuffed otter and tiger.

Given that the early strips focused largely on the stuffed animal characters, I've always wondered if the name "Achewood" was a riff on Winnie the Pooh and The Hundred Acre Wood.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I vaguely remember a guest comic of Téodor dreaming flying an airplane with a human Penny. And that was it, AFAIK.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Charts is the shoe ombudsman.

That it some fine Achewood right there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Saoshyant posted:

I vaguely remember a guest comic of Téodor dreaming flying an airplane with a human Penny. And that was it, AFAIK.

That was actually Amy from the webcomic Scary Go Round.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Saoshyant posted:

It was Onstad doing a guest comic for John Allison's Scary Go Round, with a character from that series. We've never seen Penny.

"A fox fighting an eel, suspended in aspic." Possibly the best joke about British food I've ever read.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, right, Amy. I even follow most of John Allison's work so I have no idea why I forgot who the girl in the airplane was. Anyhow, I assumed that may be where the idea of a human Penny came from. Today is indeed the first time the character showed up in panel.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

Here's a hint on how you can jog your memory.

There's a lot of stuff in the early years, and it sort of blurs together.

:toot:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Never thought I'd see a webcomic reference the Domesday Book. That's hell of esoteric.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's not that esoteric.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Wow, I almost assumed the weekly format meant the days of story arcs were over.

I think this is one of the more promising stories of late.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's not that esoteric.

Maybe I'm just not moving in the right circles.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

cletepurcel posted:

Wow, I almost assumed the weekly format meant the days of story arcs were over.

I think this is one of the more promising stories of late.

Just wait until Penny is in rehab and we can only have her character in flashbacks.

These strips are great but I'm really missing my main chochacho.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I think the story line starting here: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12172001 might be why some people thought Penny was a human. Teodor makes a big deal about not being a human man himself, so there is the implication that Penny might be.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Cloks posted:

Just wait until Penny is in rehab and we can only have her character in flashbacks.

These strips are great but I'm really missing my main chochacho.

Didn't he say he was going to wrap up the rehab arc in the blogs?

Ray has appeared once, in a gently caress You Friday. Still I agree.

On another note I'm still trying to translate what Beef is trying to say in panel 3. I mean, I get the general idea of why he has Teodor use that stinky rag but still.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 6, 2013

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012
I only think of England in terms of a nation where people smear mayonnaise on owls.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cletepurcel posted:

Didn't he say he was going to wrap up the rehab arc in the blogs?

Ray has appeared once, in a gently caress You Friday. Still I agree.

On another note I'm still trying to translate what Beef is trying to say in panel 3. I mean, I get the general idea of why he has Teodor use that stinky rag but still.

Teodor needs to make himself reek like the veteran trash-pickers or they'll cast him out or something. The "got stripes" line is the only bit that threw me - maybe it alludes to a zebra trying to blend in with horses or something?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Oxxidation posted:

Teodor needs to make himself reek like the veteran trash-pickers or they'll cast him out or something. The "got stripes" line is the only bit that threw me - maybe it alludes to a zebra trying to blend in with horses or something?

I think it's more of a military experience turn of phrase. The stripes being an indicator of rank.

Now, "A sherlock picker with a singin' hot amygdalae sensin' name brand gold in the mountains of ring-around-the-collar and shat-up onesies" is a hell of a sentance to parse out.

To translate- A talented gatherer with severe emotional instabilities who is good and finding valuables amongst worthless and disgusting items.

I actually had to look up what a amygdalae was! Roast Beef has hella brain anatomy chops. Which makes sense- he probably got it doing research about his depression.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 6, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

I think it's more of a military experience turn of phrase. The stripes being an indicator of rank.

Oh yeah, that makes more sense. If Teodor stinks then he'll earn instant respect with the pickers.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It also refers to having served time in jail or prison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5yZlk1Tz0A

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

To be honest on my first read of the new comic I had confused Penny with Polly and wondered what had made her fall so far.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Previa_fun posted:

To be honest on my first read of the new comic I had confused Penny with Polly and wondered what had made her fall so far.

It wasn't until I saw posts about Teodor and the Party Arc that I remembered Penny at all; I too was thinking of Polly.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I absolutely love it when Roast Beef gets mad professional when it comes to things like Goodwill and yard sales.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
At this rate we'll find out what happened to Pat and the Banjo in comic form by 2015

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I'm gonna get really persnickety about this and say the Penny storyline is almost exactly twelve years old.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11292001

feetnotes fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 7, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

cletepurcel posted:

I'm having some serious trouble with panel 7.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Improbable Lobster posted:

At this rate we'll find out what happened to Pat and the Banjo in comic form by 2015

Personally I think Ray asking Pat to say good stuff about his dick is a perfectly fine ending to that storyline. (As a side note, it took me a few rereads to realize what Ray meant when he called him "Turtleneck Tom")

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope Ricky fully appreciates the fact that Charts is going to remember that poo poo with the green moccasin.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jerusalem posted:

I hope Ricky fully appreciates the fact that Charts is going to remember that poo poo with the green moccasin.

Well, Charts is the shoe ombudsman.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
As long as we are delving back in time, was the meaning of the acronym S.O.S.A.D ever given? I know it's the kind of lamp Beef needs but I don't know if the full acronym is ever given. Is it "sort of seasonal?"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paramemetic posted:

As long as we are delving back in time, was the meaning of the acronym S.O.S.A.D ever given? I know it's the kind of lamp Beef needs but I don't know if the full acronym is ever given. Is it "sort of seasonal?"

Sudden Onset Seasonal Affective Disorder. I think it came from a blog and not the strip.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Sudden Onset Seasonal Affective Disorder. I think it came from a blog and not the strip.

Never occurred to me it would be Sudden Onset, that's great. Thanks! Also I suppose this means I really need to dive into the blogs. I've read a few but only read Nice Pete's completely. And maybe Ray's. I'm in 2009 on my second complete pass of the comic though thanks to you bastards linking to an early strip a few weels ago.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Never occurred to me it would be Sudden Onset, that's great. Thanks! Also I suppose this means I really need to dive into the blogs. I've read a few but only read Nice Pete's completely. And maybe Ray's. I'm in 2009 on my second complete pass of the comic though thanks to you bastards linking to an early strip a few weels ago.

Little Nephew's blog is hands-down the best

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

But what about G.R.O.R.A.D.?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Paramemetic posted:

Ray's, Beef's, and Pat's are my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Pat's is the best, and I'm not just saying that because I think he'd sue anyone saying otherwise for slander.