Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Anyone have the DT 880s? I'm been thinking about getting them since I'm kind of on Beyerdynamic's dick right now. I understand that the mids are recessed a bit. Is there like a tube amp that will alleviate this / make the headphones a bit warmer (like the 770s)?

Am I just on some head-fi audiophillery fucboii poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Shogunner posted:

Am I just on some head-fi audiophillery fucboii poo poo?

From FR charts I can find, it looks like the "mids" drop in relation to the range of a normal 88-key piano only about 5-7dB, which is easily erased by dropping the levels from 0-1kHz down on an equalizer about 3-5dB if you want a flat response. You'll probably want to drop the peak it has at 7-10kHz down ~10dBish too. Turn master volume up to compensate, and you have a (mostly) flat response.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 3, 2013

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

WugLyfe posted:

From FR charts I can find, it looks like the "mids" drop in relation to the range of a normal 88-key piano only about 5-7dB, which is easily erased by dropping the levels from 0-1kHz down on an equalizer about 3-5dB if you want a flat response. You'll probably want to drop the peak it has at 7-10kHz down ~10dBish too. Turn master volume up to compensate, and you have a (mostly) flat response.

Cool, I will do this but I also ordered a Bravo Audio Ocean off Amazon. Gonna see which I prefer. Will report back after all the burning in and what not.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm looking for a pair of wireless headphones to use while I commute but also to plug in and use as monitors when I'm playing guitar. Nothing studio worthy, but I just want a pair to pop on while I jam a little.

Budget: Top out at $200
Source: Nexus5 primary to be used wirelessly, so Bluetooth is a must, but they need to have a 3.5 jack for when the battery is dead of when I use them to play guitar in my basement and not wake my kid up. I have a couple small practice amps that I'll be connecting it to as well.
Isolation Requirements: Will be used primarily on the train commuting to work and around NYC as I walk the streets
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-ear or on ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance: Accurate reproduction of high notes.
Past Headphones: Junk ear buds, one pair of UE decent earbuds
Preferred Music: Rock, blues, podcasts

I normally don't recommend this brand but
http://www.amazon.com/Bose-AE2w-Bluetooth-Headphones-Black/dp/B00CD1FB26/ref=sr_1_4?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1386108460&sr=1-4
might be your best bet. it's just too bad they aren't ~noise cancelling~ because commuting in NYC sucks.

I know that you said over-ear or on ear, but I think they're interesting so give them a look http://www.amazon.com/JayBird-BlueBuds-Sport-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00AIRUOI8/

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Thanks for the replies and I'll just wait and save up for new headphones probably the A900x because I want closed headphones next time around. I use my AD700 cans primarily for gaming and music but with some of my music (rock and techno) the bass isn't bad it just leaves more to be desired. But I also want the prolonged comfort the audio-technica headphones because I wear eyeglasses and other headphones that pinch or clamp down on my head are a problem.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 4, 2013

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Will an Asus Xonar Essence STX sufficiently drive a pair of HD 650s? Googling around on Head-Fi and such some say it does, some say it doesn't. I am a total headphone newbie, so it's hard to tell between audiophile sperglords who think anything sounds like poo poo if it's not through their $5000 system and actual sane people.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Profanity posted:

Will an Asus Xonar Essence STX sufficiently drive a pair of HD 650s? Googling around on Head-Fi and such some say it does, some say it doesn't. I am a total headphone newbie, so it's hard to tell between audiophile sperglords who think anything sounds like poo poo if it's not through their $5000 system and actual sane people.

Yes, easily.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I normally don't recommend this brand but
http://www.amazon.com/Bose-AE2w-Bluetooth-Headphones-Black/dp/B00CD1FB26/ref=sr_1_4?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1386108460&sr=1-4
might be your best bet. it's just too bad they aren't ~noise cancelling~ because commuting in NYC sucks.

I know that you said over-ear or on ear, but I think they're interesting so give them a look http://www.amazon.com/JayBird-BlueBuds-Sport-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00AIRUOI8/

Thanks!

I've been looking at these, there was a Black Friday deal I missed that made then 150, but since I missed it, the Bose are a comparable price now.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any recommendations for a good headset that doesn't leak any and every sound the person is making? Something that will not murder your ears if a fan is turned on or if the person is eating, for example.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Hey guys

I asked before but didn't get much of a response so thought I'd try again. I absolutely adore my Grado SR-80i. Is there a set of IEMs around $100 that produce a similar sound signature?

For reference, I have a pair of Shure SE215s and Klipsch S4s. I think the difference between them and the Grados is the lack of a higher end (i.e., they aren't as "bright"? Am I using that correctly?).

Will Etymotics do the trick? Any other suggestions?

One person (sorry I forgot your name!) mentioned Monster NCredible Nenergy and also thought the Grado iGis weren't so hot. I don't have the cash to jump up to Grado GR8s either.

Anyhow - thoughts?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So I'm doing a back and forth comparison of the Magni with the Asgard 2. I think I prefer the Magni, then again I'm finding the Asgard 2 to be a bit laid back while I prefer brighter stuff.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I am now in love with my Bravo Ocean. Been going back and forth with my 770s all day. I loving LOVE the warmth it brings. It's like hot chocolate for your ears. Goodbye forever, solid state.

edit: Also, ShenzenAudio on Amazon gives you a 5% off all purchases over $50 bucks with their stuff right now. Pretty neat.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Shogunner posted:

I am now in love with my Bravo Ocean. Been going back and forth with my 770s all day. I loving LOVE the warmth it brings. It's like hot chocolate for your ears. Goodbye forever, solid state.

edit: Also, ShenzenAudio on Amazon gives you a 5% off all purchases over $50 bucks with their stuff right now. Pretty neat.

Does it tame the high end sizzle?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

http://www.wwstereo.com/dB-Logic/EP-100PINK

TAKE THE PRESSURE OFF YOUR MIND. Perk up those ears! dBLogic earphones are the sound choice for kids and adults with a super-small design and crystal-clear sound. These earphones are specially designed in-ear monitors (IEMs) that fit perfectly snug in the ear, and feature a strong ultra-thin cable that can be worn up and behind the ear for a unique, ultra-comfortable wearing style. Using SPL2 Technology, dBLogic earphones limit high sound pressure levels to 85dB while delivering superior, clear sound quality to help protect your lifelong hearing.

ON SALE NOW :commissar:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
What's the general consensus/recommendation on Wireless/Bluetooth headphones? I've been using cheap Plantronics BackBeat 903 for about 2 years now, and have really enjoyed them. Being able to walk around the office without being tethered to something is great, as is being able to clean/cook/whatever around the house at home. I listen to talk radio/podcasts pretty much exclusively, so these have worked out fine. Unfortunately the casing on one side is starting to crack, so I know their time is almost up. What's the goto Bluetooth headphones?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

eightysixed posted:

What's the general consensus/recommendation on Wireless/Bluetooth headphones? I've been using cheap Plantronics BackBeat 903 for about 2 years now, and have really enjoyed them. Being able to walk around the office without being tethered to something is great, as is being able to clean/cook/whatever around the house at home. I listen to talk radio/podcasts pretty much exclusively, so these have worked out fine. Unfortunately the casing on one side is starting to crack, so I know their time is almost up. What's the goto Bluetooth headphones?

I have a couple of options for you;

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-HBS-730-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009A5204K/ out and about, driving, office, etc. When you get a call, it vibrates on your collarbone and is generally awesome. I especially like using it in the car, since I drive a manual.

To step up the audio quality for at home, these would do, though I've never listened to them. Good price/reviews though. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK/

also give these a look I guess, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VANOFY/ I just got one today (Amazon for 55usd on sale) and I haven't tested it out much, but am overall impressed by the initial experience.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D73JV6G/ bought this today too

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The middle Sennheisers in the last post: I bought a pair for my dad last year. Range is pretty good and covers basically their whole upstairs through several walls. I haven't listened to them critically, but there was very slight hiss. If thats going to bother you, I'd step up a model or two up to the digital version.

My dad loves them though. He went and bought my mom an identical pair so they can sit in bed and watch TV at different volumes. It's kind of cute.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tactical Lesbian posted:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-HBS-730-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009A5204K/ out and about, driving, office, etc. When you get a call, it vibrates on your collarbone and is generally awesome. I especially like using it in the car, since I drive a manual.

To step up the audio quality for at home, these would do, though I've never listened to them. Good price/reviews though. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK/

also give these a look I guess, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VANOFY/ I just got one today (Amazon for 55usd on sale) and I haven't tested it out much, but am overall impressed by the initial experience.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D73JV6G/ bought this today too
Why are you using headphones while driving? :psyduck:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

http://www.wwstereo.com/dB-Logic/EP-100PINK

TAKE THE PRESSURE OFF YOUR MIND. Perk up those ears! dBLogic earphones are the sound choice for kids and adults with a super-small design and crystal-clear sound. These earphones are specially designed in-ear monitors (IEMs) that fit perfectly snug in the ear, and feature a strong ultra-thin cable that can be worn up and behind the ear for a unique, ultra-comfortable wearing style. Using SPL2 Technology, dBLogic earphones limit high sound pressure levels to 85dB while delivering superior, clear sound quality to help protect your lifelong hearing.

ON SALE NOW :commissar:

I'm not getting the sarcasm here. Volume-limiting earphones for kids is a damned good idea as long as it doesn't affect sound quality.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

And why the gently caress would you have IEMs in while driving? Are you stupid?

grack fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 6, 2013

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Why are you using headphones while driving? :psyduck:

grack posted:

I'm not getting the sarcasm here. Volume-limiting earphones for kids is a damned good idea as long as it doesn't affect sound quality.

And why the gently caress would you have IEMs in while driving? Are you stupid?

Only one earbud when I get a call.. It's a bluetooth headset, not really used for music. My car audio setup is pretty decent anyway. If you'll notice, the earbuds are attached to the main body with magnets and you pull one or both off when you get a call.

edit: the sarcasm was the ~crystal clear~ quality from $10 IEMs

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

e/o.

Even one earbud is a bad idea as it fucks with your perception of space auditorially. A lot of people do it but don't realize it can be deadly. Please stick with your speakers, at least in the car.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

edit: the sarcasm was the ~crystal clear~ quality from $10 IEMs

The Philips 3590 and Monoprice 8320 both sound extremely good and cost less than $10. So yes, it is possible.

Have you heard the dB Logics? Every review I've ever seen on them says the audio reproduction is quite good.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

WugLyfe posted:

e/o.

Even one earbud is a bad idea as it fucks with your perception of space auditorially. A lot of people do it but don't realize it can be deadly. Please stick with your speakers, at least in the car.

what

i'm pretty sure that's a load of poo poo

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

what

i'm pretty sure that's a load of poo poo

No, it's just you. You have two ears to give you a sense of parallax when hearing things, but only one ear open to the elements means you have a hard time figuring out where a noise is coming from in any sort of quick fashion.

Though it may not put you in as much danger as say, holding a conversation on a cellphone while driving, it's still dangerous and an avoidable hindrance while driving a car.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

WugLyfe posted:

No, it's just you. You have two ears to give you a sense of parallax when hearing things, but only one ear open to the elements means you have a hard time figuring out where a noise is coming from in any sort of quick fashion.

Though it may not put you in as much danger as say, holding a conversation on a cellphone while driving, it's still dangerous and an avoidable hindrance while driving a car.

Yeah I know what you were referring to, but I'm not going to be able to audibly locate something outside of my car anyway because either my speakers will be playing pretty loudly, and the few moments I take a phone call on a wireless headset isn't going to be an issue, because when am I going to need to know if there's a screaming child under my back right tire on the highway

maybe if I lived in a metropolis it would be an issue. but I live in the midwest, and deer don't make noise; they just stare at you as you run them over.

I could see your point when I'm riding my motorcycle in town, but in a car that's just a really long stretch aka a lot of bullshit.

by the way, we're derailing the thread so let's just call it quits here tia

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 6, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Yeah I know what you were referring to, but I'm not going to be able to audibly locate something outside of my car anyway because either my speakers will be playing pretty loudly, and the few moments I take a phone call on a wireless headset isn't going to be an issue, because when am I going to need to know if there's a screaming child under my back right tire on the highway

maybe if I lived in a metropolis it would be an issue. but I live in the midwest, and deer don't make noise; they just stare at you as you run them over.

Interstates with merges/exits should still be a problem, and any intersection with traffic or pedestrians at all will be. Regardless, whether you think it's OK is irrelevant, reducing your reaction time to obstacles on the road is a dumb idea no matter what—buses can lose brakes, trains can derail, you can look the wrong way at the wrong time and miss something.

It's possible for anyone—I've seen people die over stupid poo poo on the road.

\/\/ Can you see horns? It's not like they were added only to annoy others in gridlock.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 6, 2013

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

WugLyfe posted:

Interstates with merges/exits should still be a problem, and any intersection with traffic or pedestrians at all will be. Regardless, whether you think it's OK is irrelevant, reducing your reaction time to obstacles on the road is a dumb idea no matter what—buses can lose brakes, trains can derail, you can look the wrong way at the wrong time and miss something.

It's possible for anyone—I've seen people die over stupid poo poo on the road.

Eyes, I have them. How do you expect me to *hear* cars on merges/exits

and where I live, there aren't mass transit buses, nor are there trains.

do you have autism?

edit: *tips fedora* :colbert:

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Retarded Pimp posted:

Does it tame the high end sizzle?

If I'm honest I've never noticed a "sizzle" in the 770's highs. Could you give me some tracks so I can do a comparison?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I don't see how IEMs are more dangerous than a Harley's engine, wind noise when riding a motorcycle or someone blasting the radio in their car. Either way you're not going to hear audio queues.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm looking for a solid pair of circumaural headphones that'll primarily be used for listening to music and also watching movies. I've bought Bose headphones in the past (mostly out of ignorance) but am looking to make a smarter purchase this time around. I was looking at Sennheiser HD 558's last night, but am unsure what other brands I should consider.

Budget: $200 max, I'd prefer something below $150 if possible.
Source: 1/8 and 1/4'' jacks (so I'll probably need an adapter), will mostly be used on my home theater system for watching movies late at night or listening to music louder than my neighbors might like.
Isolation Requirements: Will be used primarily in a quiet setting but I'll also take them on airplanes occasionally
Preferred Type of Headphone: Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced, but quality bass is important to me
Past Headphones: Mostly Bose circumaurals in the $150 range + PC gaming headsets of varying quality
Preferred Music: Everything but country, though Spotify tells me I listen most to electro, classical, rock and hip hop in more or less that order.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Midorka posted:

I don't see how IEMs are more dangerous than a Harley's engine, wind noise when riding a motorcycle or someone blasting the radio in their car. Either way you're not going to hear audio queues.

Even though wind noise is loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss even with some form of protection, there's also a kinda cool physiological thing that happens to the tympanic membrane where it tightens up and actually enhances hearing in the presence of so much low noise. So yes, an emergency vehicle/horn can be heard assuming a certain level of noise-induced hearing loss hasn't occurred yet.

kedo posted:

I'm looking for a solid pair of circumaural headphones that'll primarily be used for listening to music and also watching movies. I've bought Bose headphones in the past (mostly out of ignorance) but am looking to make a smarter purchase this time around. I was looking at Sennheiser HD 558's last night, but am unsure what other brands I should consider.

Budget: $200 max, I'd prefer something below $150 if possible.
Source: 1/8 and 1/4'' jacks (so I'll probably need an adapter), will mostly be used on my home theater system for watching movies late at night or listening to music louder than my neighbors might like.
Isolation Requirements: Will be used primarily in a quiet setting but I'll also take them on airplanes occasionally
Preferred Type of Headphone: Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced, but quality bass is important to me
Past Headphones: Mostly Bose circumaurals in the $150 range + PC gaming headsets of varying quality
Preferred Music: Everything but country, though Spotify tells me I listen most to electro, classical, rock and hip hop in more or less that order.

Sounds like you're looking for a set of closed-back set of over-ears that is a bit dynamic in its frequency response, possibly something close to an equal-loudness contour.

The HD 558s are certainly good headphones, but they're open-backed, meaning they'll let in (and out) a ton of sound, making them a poor fit for airplane use.

The Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro is on sale at Amazon for under $200, and you could also like V-Moda Crossfade LP (or LP-2). Though technically circum-aural, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s fit the bill extremely well, but some have complained about it touching their pinna inappropriately.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Shogunner posted:

If I'm honest I've never noticed a "sizzle" in the 770's highs. Could you give me some tracks so I can do a comparison?

Try Big Money - Rush.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I don't know why anyone would even want to wear any kind of headphones while driving. Get your god drat speakers fixed.

Retarded Pimp posted:

Try Big Money - Rush.

that was weird, also, will do later

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Shogunner posted:

I don't know why anyone would even want to wear any kind of headphones while driving. Get your god drat speakers fixed.

that was weird, also, will do later

When taking a long road trip and you have people asleep in the car and you don't want to drive for hours in silence.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

When taking a long road trip and you have people asleep in the car and you don't want to drive for hours in silence.

That one occasion justifies wearing IEMs all the time?

FIX YOUR SPEAKERS.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

The HD 558s are certainly good headphones, but they're open-backed, meaning they'll let in (and out) a ton of sound, making them a poor fit for airplane use.

Thanks a bunch! I had no idea that was even a thing I had to worry about. Info and recommendation are much appreciated.

trmarkel
Dec 17, 2008
I need new headphones! My dog chewed up my old ones.

Budget - Around $100. More if it's an excellent deal(up to $150)
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - Highly preferred. My desk is in the living room.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear. They have to be large. I have a big head and big ears.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced for the most part. Though when I want bass, I want my ears to rattle.
Past Headphones - I had some in ear Sonys that rocked my world, but I find them unconfortable. My favorite(the ones my dog chewed) were some sennheiser HD-203s that I bought for 40 dollars years ago at bestbuy. They showed me that headphones could actually have good sound.
Preferred Music - Mostly indie rock, so mid-tone clarity is very important, but I also enjoy some good rap, so when I want bass, I want it to rattle me.

I'm currently looking at Sennheiser HD-280 pro, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the V-Moda Crossfades LP (though to be honest, I mostly like those because they look good).
I want some band for my buck. If there is a good sale let me know. I'm willing to pay more for a deal. Also I like things to last a while, so build quality is important.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I have a pair of AD900x's that I have had for a while, and I love them. But I have a small worry. One of the two cables that go between the two speakers has become very loose, whereas the other is just as tight. I can wiggle it around quite easily. Should I be worried about this? And if so, is there a way of tightening it/getting it back into position properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

I have a pair of AD900x's that I have had for a while, and I love them. But I have a small worry. One of the two cables that go between the two speakers has become very loose, whereas the other is just as tight. I can wiggle it around quite easily. Should I be worried about this? And if so, is there a way of tightening it/getting it back into position properly?

Oh the rubberish plasticky thing? That's just a cover, it's not going anywhere, it's mainly to cover up the wire and support.