Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I found a tech for a human mech. It's equipped like the doublejump and other techs and the tooltip says it lets me spawn a mech but doesn't say how. Is this not finished yet or am i just missing something.

F12 makes the tooltip disappear but it reads "Use this tech, spawn a mech. Then destroy things"

LemonAIDS fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

OK, how do I do anything with Aegisalt and Rubium? I can't do anything with them besides make bars.

You have to unlock those tier by tier, there's some durasteel thing you can craft that unlocks Aegisalt. I'm not sure how far in Rubium is, though, but I imagine following that path gets you there eventually

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

How do the person spawners that you can craft from the metal station work? I have one that says it spawns my own guard but nothing seems to happen when I put it down.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Red Red Blue posted:

You have to unlock those tier by tier, there's some durasteel thing you can craft that unlocks Aegisalt. I'm not sure how far in Rubium is, though, but I imagine following that path gets you there eventually

Yeah I was about to post that I found out. Hopefully the full game makes it way more clear what you're supposed to do.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

BlueDestiny posted:

How do the person spawners that you can craft from the metal station work? I have one that says it spawns my own guard but nothing seems to happen when I put it down.

I think you need to beam up to your ship and back, and when you return the spawner will be replaced by an npc.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
That armor/damage revamp can't come soon enough, the current system is borderline broken. Threat level 22 planet, wearing Titanium armor for 25 defense, blocking with a shield and I still get one-shotted by everything.

e: Turns out I'm getting one-shotted because I'm blocking. Not blocking makes me take about 5-10 damage, where as them hitting my shield would cause 100 damage and kill me instantly. :wtc:

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 6, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You have to be pretty careful with sand in this game. I collapsed a whole loving mountain on top of myself by accident.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Figured out the mech. It activates with F

Turns out it's really poo poo though and it does 1 damage to everything I was 1shotting before.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ethanol posted:

You have to be pretty careful with sand in this game. I collapsed a whole loving mountain on top of myself by accident.

My fancy Glitch castle had a secret tunnel through a sand mountain.

I kinda felt like a god watching it fall around me.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Guys I think I found the last survivor of an ancient race or something. Unfortunately instead of imparting the secret wisdom of his dead civilization, he just wants to sell me bombs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I am in the gamma sector, and can't find any platinum. Which is bad, because thanks to how armor works I can't fight anything in the gamma sector, which makes it hard to find platinum :(

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Guys I think I found the last survivor of an ancient race or something. Unfortunately instead of imparting the secret wisdom of his dead civilization, he just wants to sell me bombs.

He is imparting his secret wisdom and that wisdom is bombs. Why do you think his civilization died in the first place? :getin:

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

crowfeathers posted:

I am in the gamma sector, and can't find any platinum. Which is bad, because thanks to how armor works I can't fight anything in the gamma sector, which makes it hard to find platinum :(

I hope you like duping platinum because it is not currently spawning in the gamma sector.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Questions:

1) Are certain astros easier to find gold on? I'm having a hard time in t2 because I can't get gold to make gold/ scout armor. Is there another comparable piece of armor that is easier to get?

2) After I killed the UFO I haven't received another quest. The UFO had a part needed to unlock the beta sector, so how are people getting to tier 3 and above?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
I really hope they curve out player damage to not be so loving spiky. I've got an armor rating of 13 and get absolutely DESTROYED on threat level 15 planets. For reference, the UFO was doing about 9 damage per hit against full 10 armor rating. This seems a bit off and I just want to get access to a loving planet with gun merchants on it without resorting to stupid tactics

Really liking the pixel cost changes now, esepcially since I nearly cleared 10k pixels from just clearing out planetary settlements (one of which was a loving Avian settlement on a MOON).

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So, a lot of goons were saying exploring underground is boring. I'd like to take a moment to emphatically disagree.

:stare:

Deeper exploration yielded bones. The planet is alive and very evil judging by the corrupted dirt that appears in it's flesh walls.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

LemonAIDS posted:

I found a tech for a human mech. It's equipped like the doublejump and other techs and the tooltip says it lets me spawn a mech but doesn't say how. Is this not finished yet or am i just missing something.

F12 makes the tooltip disappear but it reads "Use this tech, spawn a mech. Then destroy things"

Can you give us coordinates?

ShadowMar posted:

OK, how do I do anything with Aegisalt and Rubium? I can't do anything with them besides make bars.

The progression currently is stone -> Copper -> Iron -> Steel -> Titanium -> Durasteel -> Aegisalt -> Frozonium -> Cerulinium -> Violium -> Rubium -> Infinium.

I probably spelled most of the latter ones wrong.

Everything up to Durasteel is boss based, so you need to kill the boss to go from Steel to titanium, titanium to durasteel, and durasteel to Aegisalt. The rest is finding a lot of Aegisalt, Cerulinium, and Rubium, then use that with coal to make the Frozonium, Violium and Infinium respectively. I still get one-shot on TL 36+ planets, even with full Infinium armor. :( But once you get past TL 32, most of those ores are just on the surface and iron/copper are nowhere to be seen. So much the better, really.

As a side note: Anyone experience some funkiness with falling damage? It seems to be based off how long you're falling downwards, rather than the speed at which you hit the ground. So using gravity bubble, I can splat myself from a height that I would normally survive, by only "slowing" myself down, in the expectation of not cratering into the ground. It's testable with pulse jump too, since sometimes if you're falling down fast enough or you hit the jump button for a short enough period of time, you don't gain any upward momentum at all, just slows your falling, thus triggering a crater. Moving up at ALL seems to reset the timer, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sedisp posted:

So, a lot of goons were saying exploring underground is boring. I'd like to take a moment to emphatically disagree.

:stare:

Deeper exploration yielded bones. The planet is alive and very evil judging by the corrupted dirt that appears in it's flesh walls.

There are honestly a lot of interesting features to be seen underground if you go deep enough. I like the humongous caverns that you frequently find.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Skuzal posted:

I hope you like duping platinum because it is not currently spawning in the gamma sector.

Some guy made a fix for this on the forums: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/fix-for-platinum-generation.38736/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

crowfeathers posted:

I think Platinum is kind of bugged and doesn't really spawn in the Gamma Sector. I only ever found 3 Platinum Ore, I ended up skipping the entire Platinum tier, you can advance with just Titanium -> Durasteel (coal+titanium, a titanium is very easy to get) - get the Gravity Bubble and cheese the hilariously overtuned boss so you can move on Sector X where you can get hundreds of any ore in a few seconds by flying around a desert planet and mining sand deposits - this includes Platinum.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are honestly a lot of interesting features to be seen underground if you go deep enough. I like the humongous caverns that you frequently find.

The big problem with underground exploration is just that digging is really slow. I've found tons and tons of cool stuff underground, but getting to it is really tedious. And this is coming from someone who would build giant tunnel systems in Minecraft for fun.

Edit- I think I'd feel better about digging with a way to bookmark planets, actually. Knowing that I have to complete a dig before I leave to do something else kind of saps the fun out of it.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Are people's saves not wiping? I've had one character wipe, and one universe wipe, although I think the latter may be due to playing an MP character in SP. In any case, I'm thinking of taking a break for a bit until some of the later phases as I'm a bit burned out on restarting so often. Game rocks though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

The big problem with underground exploration is just that digging is really slow. I've found tons and tons of cool stuff underground, but getting to it is really tedious. And this is coming from someone who would build giant tunnel systems in Minecraft for fun.

My biggest complaint is that I dig in a 3x3 box but my character is 4 blocks tall. Make the pickaxe dig a 3x4 grid or a 2x4 grid so I only have to dig once in any direction to move, and I'll be happy. Currently I'll dig straight down to try and find cool stuff but any kind of horizontal movement is frustrating and I don't do it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

A.C. posted:

I think Platinum is kind of bugged and doesn't really spawn in the Gamma Sector. I only ever found 3 Platinum Ore, I ended up skipping the entire Platinum tier, you can advance with just Titanium -> Durasteel (coal+titanium, a titanium is very easy to get) - get the Gravity Bubble and cheese the hilariously overtuned boss so you can move on Sector X where you can get hundreds of any ore in a few seconds by flying around a desert planet and mining sand deposits - this includes Platinum.

Can you write a guide for this stuff?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
If someone can find Guile's Theme in .abc format I will love you forever.

Also does food do anything aside from fill the hunger bar? There seems to be a huge set up for tons of different food, but it seems like a waste of effort to try and make.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
Note: Don't put propellers from the top of the sky pirate ships directly next to the beam pad on other players' ships.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Spoon posted:

Note: Don't put propellers from the top of the sky pirate ships directly next to the beam pad on other players' ships.

Well now you need to tell us what happened or we're going to try it to find out for ourselves.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Edit- I think I'd feel better about digging with a way to bookmark planets, actually. Knowing that I have to complete a dig before I leave to do something else kind of saps the fun out of it.

Bookmarks would be great. Maybe just a list of favorites that you can always select from, instead of just a single home planet.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
Found a monkey moon space lab, this little guy attacks you with some electric gun and his brain lights up with electricity when he does it

Went and cleared out the whole building and now it's my own private moon base with guards and vendors :getin:
Location is: Alpha Umbraxion 1207 I - X= 59877410 Y = -70634402

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If someone can find Guile's Theme in .abc format I will love you forever.

Also does food do anything aside from fill the hunger bar? There seems to be a huge set up for tons of different food, but it seems like a waste of effort to try and make.

http://www.thefatlute.eu/rapid/view_song/g/7699

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So I have an idea for adding health regeneration to the game without having to add abilities or anything.

The red stim is a regeneration buff, it's effect last a couple seconds. If we can find the duration + tick effect for it (think I already did, have to test), we can make a new stimpack or change the existing to give long-term regeneration, like several hours worth. We definitely have to tone down the effect though or you'd be basically invincible.

Same thing should be able to be applied to the yellow, meaning you'll basically be wearing the mining helmet from Terraria without eating a gear slot and dispose of torches.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 6, 2013

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.

Roland Jones posted:

Well now you need to tell us what happened or we're going to try it to find out for ourselves.

The ship owner ended up in an endless death/spawning loop. I had to beam to his ship while crouching in order to destroy the prop.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zotix posted:

Can you write a guide for this stuff?

Sure;

Check the Google Doc for any coordinates:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kHix192pKvjA2Q5PSuU7zNMuaRxqN2B1N718t4FWmwk/edit

It doesn't have everything yet but there are 4 techs and a number of different locations/bases listed. I've highlighted Techs with bold blue text so they're easier to find.

quote:

9236086, 72611326
Beta Cursa Minoris I a

TL14 Jungle
Very large underground USCM Complex (far left)
Flesh Forest (yes…), short right
Purple dinosaur with blue sunglasses monsters
Gravity Bubble Tech - far right in a second Flesh Forest (INFINITE JETPACK TECH!)

You need Beta Sector unlocked. I can't really provide a guide for this because I cheesed the UFO before they made him destroy blocks. You could possibly still use this strategy, because I'm not sure if he can kill blocks above him:

Once Beta Sector is unlocked, fly to the coordinates/planet above. The enemies here are going to be really tough right away because they are level 14 and you don't have 14 armor or armor pen, so avoid them as best as you can. Bring a lot of big stacks of building materials and just build bridges over enemies, trap them inside rock, whatever you need to do (use shift+click to place 1x1 blocks and save material). Keep running right on the planet until you reach a second Flesh Forest. Somewhere in this Flesh Forest, very near the surface, is a High-Tech Chest which has the Gravity Bubble blueprint. Use the blueprint, fly to your base, use the 3d Printer and select "Techs", equip Gravity Bubble. Pressing space while in the air will now float you upward - depending on your armor's Energy Regen (lightning symbol) this could be infinite or could drain your energy.

Once you have Gravity Bubble it's really easy to just float over other bosses (or rare monsters, or anything you need to kill) and enclose them in blocks like you see in my UFO screenshot above. As far as I am aware, the second two bosses do not currently have the ability to break through blocks.

Unlock your way to whatever ore you need by cheesing bosses. The next step is finding a TL that works best for the ore you specifically want - I didn't keep notes on any of this so I can't really help. Once you know what TL it spawns at, find a Desert Planet of that TL. What you want to do is hover around with the Gravity Bubble ignoring all enemies. You're looking for big pits of Fine Sand - the sand that falls down when the tile under it is broken. There will often be large ore deposits inside the Fine Sand, and you can mine it very quickly by digging your way to the bottom of the sand pit, then digging horizontally. You dig through sand very fast and this causes any ore above you to break and fall down to you. Some of these sand pits are enormous and once they're cleared you will be hovering out of the pit with your Gravity Bubble with 500+ ore of various types in tow.

You can technically do this without Gravity Bubble but the safety and climbing speed provided by Gravity Bubble are what make this method so great.

e: Also be prepared to clear your inventory of like 20 stacks of Fine Sand every 15-30 minutes.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 6, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

If people are wondering about the non-existence of platinum, it only appears in the last sector of the game despite it being absolutely necessary for the second and third sectors of the game. Replacing the contents of Starbound/assets/biomes/oredistributions.lvltables with the contents of this pastebin (use raw paste data) will make it present on most planets.

http://pastebin.com/maCggL8v

edit: The previous versions of the paste had 1) a parsing error due to incorrect placement of brackets and 2)an unclosed bracket somewhere I'm too code illiterate to read, so here's one based on an official forum post.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 6, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If anyone has an extra 4-pack copy, I'm looking for one:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kai/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If people are wondering about the non-existence of platinum, it only appears in the last sector of the game despite it being absolutely necessary for the second and third sectors of the game. Replacing the contents of Starbound/assets/biomes/oredistributions.lvltables with the contents of this pastebin (use raw paste data) will make it present on most planets.

This is definitely a good fix to use, though I don't know if it will affect visiting planet seeds - it's worth nothing though that platinum is not necessary to progress, the progression path goes Steel -> Titanium -> Durasteel. Platinum enables a tier of weapons and armor, which in all honesty are still too weak to beat the third boss with, so you're probably going to want to cheese him anyway, and if you're cheesing him your weapons/armor don't matter.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 6, 2013

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

A.C. posted:

Platinum's really rare (probably overly so), but it appears it should generate in all planets. The issue is that the only biomes that use the ore set that platinum appears in from the start are the 'special' underground biomes.

The main biome ore distribution doesn't get platinum until lv34 (Tier 7) planets currently.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So, once I have my full suit of T2 armor, where do you go to get the schematic to open up Gamma quadrant?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

Yeah I was about to post that I found out. Hopefully the full game makes it way more clear what you're supposed to do.

If I'm remembering correctly only tiers 1 to 3 (so up to Titanium/Platinum) are anywhere near what they'll be like in the full game, everything else is just stuck in at the end for people to mess around with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

A.C. posted:

Make the pickaxe dig a 3x4 grid or a 2x4 grid so I only have to dig once in any direction to move

That would help a lot with the tedium of digging. I'm glad I came around and read this thread -- I didn't even realize there was so much stuff later in the game; I kind of got bogged down with digging for minerals on my starting planet.

• Locked thread