Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Joramun posted:

Ruben Studdard as Elphaba.

I'm in. I'll even buy the DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I guess all you need for high ratings is just to have a bunch of people singing and dancing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mu Zeta posted:

I guess all you need for high ratings is just to have a bunch of people singing and dancing.

Works for Monday Night RAW.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I just heard someone say that he loves the original but "Underwood sang and acted it better than Julie Andrews, hands down."

:smith:

How can someone be so wrong.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The live Sound of Music was pretty cool from a production standpoint and the music is still classic. Underwood and the rest of the cast performed the songs masterfully. I look forward to the next live musical and I look forward to the inevitable trainwreck of the one after that.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mu Zeta posted:

Live. Glee's getting 1.1s for its singing and dancing efforts.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

xeria posted:

Live. Glee's getting 1.1s for its singing and dancing efforts.

Yeah, Community's musical Christmas episode wasn't ratings gold either despite prominently featuring Allison Brie's cleavage.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Joramun posted:

All starring American Idol winners. Prepare yourself for Taylor Hicks as Jean Valjean and Ruben Studdard as Elphaba.

I'd watch Kris Allen and Adam Lambert do something like Guys and Dolls. Or Amy Poehler and Tina Fey in Wicked to keep it more NBC Thursday night traditional!

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, Community's musical Christmas episode wasn't ratings gold either despite prominently featuring Allison Brie's cleavage.

America doesn't want breasts, it wants wholesome family musicals.
Sorry.

Wholesome family musicals performed LIVE.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I hate living in this puritanical religious tyranny. As soon as I save up enough cash, I'm moving to a country that appreciates boobies as much as I do.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I've been a fan of Underwood since she was on Idol and she's the reason decided to I watched it :shame: HOWEVER, I really liked the whole thing. I saw the movie as a kid but don't remember much besides whatever cultural osmosis refreshed.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

I hate living in this puritanical religious tyranny. As soon as I save up enough cash, I'm moving to a country that appreciates boobies as much as I do.

What are things a 15yo would say?

TVIV for 2000, Alex.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

Community's Christmas episode loving rules, screw the naysayers :colbert:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Irish Joe was clearly talking about the birds.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Terry Brooks's "Shannara" fantasy novels might be getting a a TV series on...MTV? :confused:

quote:

In one of MTV‘s most ambitious moves on the scripted side since Susanne Daniels became president, the network has given a script-to-series commitment to Shannara, a drama series based on Terry Brooks’ popular fantasy books. The project, from Sonar Entertainment and Farah Films, has Iron Man helmer Jon Favreau on board to direct and will be written by Smallville creators Al Gough and Miles Millar. The trio will executive produce with Brooks and Dan Farah (The Crow remake). If MTV likes the script, it is expected to give the project a straight-to-series order.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the main Shannara books are just Tolkien knock offs I actually really like the prequel stuff he put out, the "Word and Void" series and the one that bridged those two series.

Actually the "Word and Void" series would make a fine TV show. Mostly because the basic premise is about a guy empowered by the forces of good to travel around stopping demons, every night when he goes to sleep he lives in the future where good has lost and evil is in charge. He uses this to find situations where he might be able to change the future. Also while the Word has given him powerful magic abilities he's limited in them because every time he uses his powers in the present he loses them for one day in the future. All in all a pretty TV friendly setting/premise.

Edit: Just read the article and they're doing it off of the crappy Tolkien-esque rip off books. Blah.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 6, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hold on, hold oh, hold on.

Why are they remaking The Crow?!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
How are the people behind Smallville still employed?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I just watched Carnivale. Good stuff.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

The Gunslinger posted:

What's the alternative though? He was really psychic? Ironic thing to say in the context of that scene :) I guess maybe he was just trying to mess with Janes head.

Search me. I'm saying that based on what the show told us, Jane didn't make up a list and left it lying around.

As best as I can remember, here are the clues that Jane had when he started composing the list:
- Jane shook Red John's hand
- Red John was in law enforcement or had a lot of pull with law enforcement
- Red John had no alibi for all of the confirmed Red John murders
- Red John was at that Visualize farm ages ago, when he painted his logo on the barn.

A non-psychic Red John would have trouble figuring out the first one, the second one was pretty clear, and the last two would eliminate a bunch of suspects, and Red John had the resources to check on those two. I'm sure that Jane also used CBI resources to check the alibis of his large pool of suspects to whittle them down to seven. How exactly Red John got exactly the same seven, no more or less, I couldn't say.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm sure I'm not the only person watching, but Eagleheart: Paradise Rising has been absolutely amazing so far. Better than both Childrens Hospital and NTSF.

I liked the first two seasons, but this cinematic arc they're doing this year has been the show at its best.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only person watching, but Eagleheart: Paradise Rising has been absolutely amazing so far. Better than both Childrens Hospital and NTSF.

I liked the first two seasons, but this cinematic arc they're doing this year has been the show at its best.

Eagleheart is probably the best TV comedy I've ever seen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Postal Parcel posted:

A 4.6 is near 5x the demo NBC gets on Thursdays(Usually, they get 1s and .9s.

Guess Must-See Thursdays are going to become Musical Thursdays :D

Well that ensures I'll never watch NBC thursdays again.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
NBC could do Oaklahoma, Hugh Jackman would probably do it if you gave him $5 and lunch.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A non-psychic Red John would have trouble figuring out the first one, the second one was pretty clear, and the last two would eliminate a bunch of suspects, and Red John had the resources to check on those two. I'm sure that Jane also used CBI resources to check the alibis of his large pool of suspects to whittle them down to seven. How exactly Red John got exactly the same seven, no more or less, I couldn't say.

At some point, a guy broke into Jane's loft and took pictures of everything before meticulously putting it back in place. I assumed that was how Red John got Jane's list.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
New Terminator series in development

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/terminator-tv-series-in-development-with-x-men-writers-1200926394/

Skydance Prods. and Annapurna Pictures — the shingles behind Paramount’s 2015 “Terminator” reboot — have teamed to develop a fresh “Terminator” television series, hiring “X-Men: First Class” scribes Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller to write and exec produce.

TV project is said to follow a critical moment from the first “Terminator” film — where the film’s story goes one way, the upcoming television show will take that same moment in a completely different direction. Skydance and Annapurna expect the new “Terminator” TV series and rebooted “Terminator” film franchise to have intersecting narratives, as well.

Megan Ellison of Annapurna will produce the “Terminator” TV series with David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross of Skydance. Laeta Kalogridis and Patrick Lussier are on board as exec producers.

And Marvel has confirmed that Drew Goddard will direct the first episode and be the showrunner on Daredevil.

lomzus fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 6, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That DICK! posted:

I just watched Carnivale. Good stuff.

Carnivale is awesome. I think that along with Deadwood are the "best" looking shows that HBO ever made. I know they have way more expensive productions like Rome but I've always found the CGI stuff to look lovely. The massive battles are also filmed way too close like in Game of Thrones and looks more like a stage theater production. Carnivale and Deadwood should have been huge.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Carnivale is awesome. I think that along with Deadwood are the "best" looking shows that HBO ever made. I know they have way more expensive productions like Rome but I've always found the CGI stuff to look lovely. The massive battles are also filmed way too close like in Game of Thrones and looks more like a stage theater production. Carnivale and Deadwood should have been huge.

I've definitely had Deadwood on my mind through the whole way, both because the untamed western setting is really reminiscent of it and because I knew it was cancelled before its time. I had a foreboding sense of doom that nothing was going to really payoff and everything would exist in a sort of limbo just like when Deadwood was cancelled. It got a better ending than Deadwood did I think, but there was still obviously so much more they wanted to cover.

What's been a relief to me is that the creator of Carnivale is not at all a douche like David Milch seems to be. He felt really bad for the fans that it got cancelled and understood why HBO did it, and did his best to explain where all of the characters were supposed to end up and what was supposed to happen. Really shows the contrast between te two.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Writer Cath posted:

At some point, a guy broke into Jane's loft and took pictures of everything before meticulously putting it back in place. I assumed that was how Red John got Jane's list.

That was Bob Kirkland, the Homeland Security guy (and one of the seven real suspects). An early episode this season revealed that the list Bob got was of seven fake suspects Jane planted, exactly because he suspected that someone would break into the loft to look for it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

Carnivale is awesome. I think that along with Deadwood are the "best" looking shows that HBO ever made.

Nah, that's Boardwalk Empire.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best thing about Carnivale is that you can actually infer how the show would have ended if it went on and be more or less in line with what actually would have happened according to its creator. There are definitely enough hints dropped that, while certain aspects of some characters' stories will leave you frustrated, at least you have some closure on the big picture.

There are certain shows I wish had been abruptly cancelled at a point when my theories were much better than the actual ending.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

precision posted:

They've discovered a novel new way to extract money from dead celebrities and they've decided to test the process on Brandon Lee's corpse. Exhumation begins Monday.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

Well that ensures I'll never watch NBC thursdays again.

Wait i'm confused by this post, do you not like musicals?!? :confused:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

precision posted:

Same reason they ever made those lovely "sequels?" Or lovely comics?

In other words, Hot Topic still exists, and there isn't a lot of stuff these days to sell there--last I knew, they still had Invader Zim merch. New Crow stuff could revitalize the entire chain.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I would watch musicals live on Thursdays. Every time I see a Fathom Events commercial for the Met Operas at the movie theater, I wish they were also doing Broadway shows for those of us who live so, so far away from any big city where the plays tour.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

precision posted:

The best thing about Carnivale is that you can actually infer how the show would have ended if it went on and be more or less in line with what actually would have happened according to its creator. There are definitely enough hints dropped that, while certain aspects of some characters' stories will leave you frustrated, at least you have some closure on the big picture.

There are certain shows I wish had been abruptly cancelled at a point when my theories were much better than the actual ending.

I've said it before- but it's the show Lost tried to be. The second season answered 90% of the show's mysteries. It definitely felt like it had a "gameplan" of some sort.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

precision posted:

CaptainHollywood posted:

I've said it before- but it's the show Lost tried to be. The second season answered 90% of the show's mysteries. It definitely felt like it had a "gameplan" of some sort.

Precision that was masterful.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A lot of crazy stuff being revealed on this page. A Tolkein rip-off that nevertheless I have a weird soft spot for (the series is about a nuclear war creating trolls and elves you guys. Middle school Shag loved that poo poo). A new Terminator show is happening. But the biggest surprise...

Community is still on?! Did it get good again?

EDIT: Still haven't seen the last couple of episodes of Carnivale (same with FNL). I just don't wanna it to be over...

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
As for the Crow, I suppose there is technically room for an actual Crow story about the comic version which is....different to say the least. A lot of the basic ideas are there, but it's very much more of a psychological examination of loss than a dude going all Punisher blasting away. I'm just not sure why you'd *want* to make that movie, as it's a lot harder to convey and I don't know that it translates super well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Community is still on?! Did it get good again?

Time will tell, since it doesn't return until January, but the original showrunner is back in control, and they've announced a lot of great guest stars for this season, so I'm hopeful, at least!

However, Chevy Chase is no longer in it, and Donald Glover will only be in 5/13 episodes this season. :(

• Locked thread