Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
So RiotMagus is backtracking on their pros streaming other games provisions in the LCS contracts.

"Hey everyone,
There’s been a ton of discussion around our LCS team contracts, which stipulated active LCS players couldn’t stream a variety of other games.

First, background on why we did this: there’ve been instances of other game studios trying to buy access to League fans by using (or trying to use) LCS teams/players to promote their competing games on stream.

The way we chose to deal with this was clearly an overreach. It hit our goal of preventing companies from advertising through LCS players, but it also encroached on pros’ ability to have fun and entertain viewers during long Challenger queues – and we realize that’s not cool.

After reading all of your comments and having a LOT of internal debate over the last 24 hours, we’re going to be changing the LCS team requirement to something that more closely matches our intent. While under contract to the LCS, teams and players can’t accept sponsorship from other game companies to promote other titles. Besides that, they are free to stream any games they want.

I'll be hanging around to answer questions if you guys have any. Thanks for helping us make a better decision on this."

--

I'm still indifferent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Homura posted:

MakNooN hasn't played in Champions for over a season now though -- KT Arrows didn't qualify last season and only finished 5th - 8th in NLB. I'm sure he has some confidence issues on top of the pressures you mentioned and the stress of trying to change positions. The big play potential is definitely there though, and he has a good track record of winning when he was on Sword.

Wasn't the 2012 winter najin sword team largely built around maknoon though ?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Well I knew this was the real reason not "being afraid of advertisements of other games" or something silly like that.

Still, I fear there might be problems with this, the player can still make contracts secretly, behind Riot's back, in some way, no? If the secret is revealed then there will be repercussions, yes, but that might take some time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's hilarious how frequently Riot gets overtly evil in the competitive gaming arena, and just as hilarious how quickly they get smacked down every time.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Savage Cracker posted:

Yeah, the prime MakNooN top lane Najin Sword team was a loving insane lineup that I have no idea to this day why they ever split up.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Savage Cracker posted:

He definitely carried them hard and was their shot caller. I still don't think any of them are able to shotcall effectively for Sword. Monte was speculating that Ssong switched to support just to have him ingame so he could shotcall, but that didn't really work out.

I wonder what direction they go in next -- breaking up the Pray/Cain botlane wasn't the answer.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

K8.0 posted:

It's hilarious how frequently Riot gets overtly evil in the competitive gaming arena, and just as hilarious how quickly they get smacked down every time.

Pretty sure most people in here thought that it was a fairly reasonable request. 'Overtly evil' might be a slight bit of hyperbole.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Zahki posted:

Pretty sure most people in here thought that it was a fairly reasonable request. 'Overtly evil' might be a slight bit of hyperbole.

Fairly reasonable if a bit dickish and controlling. Expectedly corporate

Regardless, the amended version is better and more closely addresses the issue of competing sponsorships.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Homura posted:

First, background on why we did this: there’ve been instances of other game studios trying to buy access to League fans by using (or trying to use) LCS teams/players to promote their competing games on stream.

This seems pretty clearly what they wanted to prevent. Also, hard to call it backtracking when the initial contracts were a leak anyway.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Monte also has the benefit of having the most made-for-radio voice of any man alive. I could listen to him talk about paint drying. :allears:

Jatt/Rivington are probably the guys I hear the most often though. They can get kinda derpy but I usually just laugh when one of them fails at a joke and then admits it. I don't dislike any of the official casters which is pretty nice.

(And while I really hope Krepo doesn't end up benched for a season, (wtf is going on EG?) I'd love to hear him as a permanent commentator too.)

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Zahki posted:

On top of which, there is definitely a difference between 'getting paid to stream another game' and 'randomly filling queue time at 5AM EST because Dyrus doesn't sleep a normal schedule.' Also, while they may not have gone about it the best way, there are not a ton of companies out there that would change their stance or even acknowledge the fanbase complaints when it comes to contracts.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
http://www.twitch.tv/wellplayed NA Promotional group stages starting now, with Complexity vs TBD

Jintae on mid for Complexity - surprising nobody, he picks up Orianna for game one. M eye A taking Fiddle, looking forward to see what he'll do.

Edit: Complexity's positioning is terrible, they keep getting caught.

Megazero what are you even doing

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 7, 2013

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Epic burn on MZ from the casters, daaaaamn.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

K8.0 posted:

I'd like to thank Totalbiscuit. His crusade and 30 minute video assisted in defeating the dark colossus we know as Riot. Evil has been vanquished today. We will call upon his sword of justice when we require it and unleash Reddit once again.

The only reason any of this became public to begin with was a leak by some LCS young idiot with a bone to pick, and detractors leaped onto it like stink on poo poo. Reddit got thrown into the fray, and because they're a bunch of young adults with no comprehension of business, they assume it's end times and Riot is destroying all competitors when it's a simple business move.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Corbeau posted:

Epic burn on MZ from the casters, daaaaamn.

Guess I turned in too late, what happened?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Freaksaus posted:

Guess I turned in too late, what happened?

Something along the lines of "He really is a MegaZero! Zero kills, Zero assists, Zero kill participation"

EDIT: Even bigger burn on Locodoco.

"Gunza always carries Locodoco around like a sack of worthless potatoes."

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 7, 2013

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Servaetes posted:

Lit-trolly the most obsurd plahye I've evah seen.

Also he actually casts?

This means war Servates, you thought 1812 was bad.

But seriously, I did a riot event once in France, and have done some Challenger level stuff now and then.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Something along the lines of "He really is a MegaZero! Zero kills, Zero assists, Zero kill participation"

EDIT: Even bigger burn on Locodoco.

"Gunza always carries Locodoco around like a sack of worthless potatoes."

And then Loco finishes like, 7/0/6.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Vequeth posted:

This means war Servates, you thought 1812 was bad.

But seriously, I did a riot event once in France, and have done some Challenger level stuff now and then.

Ahem, buddy, it's Servets. Also that really freaking owns, dude :) After the Riot thing in France, have they bugged you about doing more, or was it a one time gig?

ps I'm still scared of your Cassiopeia

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Servaetes posted:

Ahem, buddy, it's Servets. Also that really freaking owns, dude :) After the Riot thing in France, have they bugged you about doing more, or was it a one time gig?

ps I'm still scared of your Cassiopeia

One time really, they were short on casters as Quickshot was off casting some tournament in Italy that weekend.

There are younger, more attractive, less cynical casters than I out there.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

theystolemyname posted:

People who watch esports are in general children and overly entitled.

I stopped reading your awful post after this sentence.

EDIT: Actually the number of awful generalizations in this thread is hilarious. "Anyone who holds an opinion that conflicts with mine is dumb/naive/ignorant."

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 7, 2013

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
This Cog/Complexity game is boring as sin. 1 kill in 22 minutes.

TiredDaemon
Jul 14, 2006

Xythar, Kill: Spoonsy, ##Vote: TiredDaemon

Zhent posted:

On top of which, there is definitely a difference between 'getting paid to stream another game' and 'randomly filling queue time at 5AM EST because Dyrus doesn't sleep a normal schedule.' Also, while they may not have gone about it the best way, there are not a ton of companies out there that would change their stance or even acknowledge the fanbase complaints when it comes to contracts.

Yeah, there was a significant amount of discussion about the initial explanation internally with a significant majority of Rioters agreeing with the sentiment that the wording preventing pro players from streaming other games was a bad idea for a myriad of reasons. I'm really happy about the backlash from the playerbase (wide and internal) at keeping us honest in sticking to whats important.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Libertine posted:

This Cog/Complexity game is boring as sin. 1 kill in 22 minutes.

It's really strange. With an Evelynn on the field you'd think the engagements would be happening more.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

At least it had an exciting and entirely unexpected ending.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
RIP Complexity.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
They were the favorites to break into LCS out of challenger... RIGHT until it started mattering. Poor guys.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Losing their jungler had to hurt, and wasn't Prolly the one who made a lot of the calls for them?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I feel really awful about it.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

mastermind2004 posted:

Losing their jungler had to hurt, and wasn't Prolly the one who made a lot of the calls for them?

Prolly and Laute had a really great partnership going back to LgN, and I think Prolly only got along with him. When Laute stepped down, it sounded like there was a lot of friction between him and the others. I imagine Laute was the shotcaller (as captain), and everything seems to have fallen apart without him.

Nis fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 7, 2013

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
The more i watch skt1 games the less i believe in the korean hype train and the more i believe in the skt hype train.
edit: and as i say that skt1 flops a bit in the second game :<

Lucian so god tier and Vayne so poo poo tier that Piglet's Vayne is beating down Lustboy's Lucian earlyon.

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 7, 2013

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Mandu is the best Nami in the world, god drat.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Didn't see Game 1 of T1K vs Blaze but wow that second game was fantastic.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Spuddingtooon... whyyyy... I got up at 5 o'clock for you!

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Frgrbrgr posted:

Spuddingtooon... whyyyy... I got up at 5 o'clock for you!

Well we should be going soon! And neverstopping again it feels like

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

A jargogle posted:

Well we should be going soon! And neverstopping again it feels like

Russian server >< good luck! I'll be tuned it all day.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

curiousCat posted:

I feel really awful about it.

I don't. They did it to themselves by getting rid of a player who, even if he was underperforming or was a bit of problem internally, had been with them for literally a year. What an awful, awful move.

I welcome our new Quantic overlords.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Sexpansion posted:

I don't. They did it to themselves by getting rid of a player who, even if he was underperforming or was a bit of problem internally, had been with them for literally a year. What an awful, awful move.

I don't disagree, but what I (/we) do know is that Pr0lly doesn't have the best reputation for being an enjoyable dude to play video games with. Which is kind of weird with how likable he's on camera, but I don't have a hard time believing his camera persona could hide behind it all kinds of passive-aggressive skullduggery and primadonna bullshit. Going by what I've heard, not what I know, based on what I know I honestly want to like Pr0lly v:shobon:v. I'd like to think that Complexity knew better than anybody how big of a deal it was to lose two of their (three) "star" players in a month, one of them the team captain, both of them the primary shot callers, and that they're more qualified to consider the pros and cons of the situation than most. Like, let's say coL qualified for S4 LCS with Pr0lly who everyone wants to get rid of ASAP, I'd imagine he can't be kicked out quite so easily right after signing S4 contracts. At least if he or his agent can read and write.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 7, 2013

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sexpansion posted:

I welcome our new Quantic overlords.

I dunno about that. Getting rid of a player who is under performing/a problem internally is exactly the thing an organization should be doing if they want to be anything. Chaox and TSM is the most obvious example that comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

I dunno about that. Getting rid of a player who is under performing/a problem internally is exactly the thing an organization should be doing if they want to be anything. Chaox and TSM is the most obvious example that comes to mind.

I thought Prolly's issue was that he didn't think the team was taking practice seriously and stuff? If anything, Chaox was the complete opposite since the final straw was a night spent partying before a matchday at MLG.

• Locked thread