Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

SheepNameKiller posted:

Edwin's the best NPC in BG2 and I assume the reason no one is acknowledging this is because we all have known it to be true for years and are simply tired of saying it.
He's certainly the most powerful mage. Not that this helped Edwina much when I turned her over to the Red Wizard who wanted to execute her during her quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MrTheDevious posted:

I'd never played the old ones, so all the dialogue was new to me and I couldn't begin to tell you which ones seemed out of place or "new".

The dialogue that is new is only dialogue pertaining to Enhanced Edition NPCs. So, Rasaad/Dorn/Hexxat/Neera and their quests are new dialogue. Everything else is not.

mitochondritom posted:

Yea I think some posters have a serious nostalgia hard on, the new dialogue is no cheesier or worse than the old ones.

We really aren't. I am playing the game right now and comparing the dialogue in Rasaad's personal quest to the rest of the game there is a pretty stark difference in the amount of ham fisted snark.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like the snarky dialogue because you can upset Rasaad by refusing to take a single thing about his quest seriously and he begs you to stop. WHICH I WILL NEVER NEVER DO. Theres also a lot of cheesy one-liners you can use before getting into a fight which is great for people who use that Arnold portrait.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Alas, one of my buddies tried to play this but got bored in the first dungeon and gave up.

It aged well for a time but it's really difficult for new people to pick up. They missed a great opportunity to do a real remake with better graphics etc

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Captain Oblivious posted:

The dialogue that is new is only dialogue pertaining to Enhanced Edition NPCs. So, Rasaad/Dorn/Hexxat/Neera and their quests are new dialogue. Everything else is not.

We really aren't. I am playing the game right now and comparing the dialogue in Rasaad's personal quest to the rest of the game there is a pretty stark difference in the amount of ham fisted snark.

Oh well I guess I'm a reddit shitlord with no taste or something then, cause I really enjoyed all the new NPCs. I just thought the hamfisted snark was done on purpose to give some comedic relief to the otherwise cliche-to-the-nuts Forgotten Realms plot. If you don't like Rasaad's quest dialogue, don't play Dorn's ever. It's vastly more-Rasaad than Rasaad is, compared to the old NPCs.

I guess it just depends on whether you're playing all serious business or if you always pick the one-off choices. I just had fun picking the option that R.A. Salvatore would've had an aneurism over at every possible opportunity.

^^ I gave up in the first dungeon at least 10x over the years. Tell him to just suck it up and play a boringass game for 4 hours and he'll be addicted like I was. The beginning of each game is just REALLY awful. The rest of it is one of the best games I've ever played, and that's coming from someone with 0 nostalgia

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 6, 2013

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MegaGatts posted:

Depending the room you're trying to attack there's a nasty dude in one that has a killer bow. Tossing out a web can severely reduce their murdering. Toss a web, load up with bows yourselves and start plinking away. Your reward for this is an awesome bow.
When all else fails, IWD is the cast Web game.

By the time stuff is hardly affected by web you can cast Death Fog and Spike Stones at a chokepoint if there's ever a battle you just want to skip entirely.

Furism posted:

Yep that's where I've been resting (it's on the third level out of four). But they are pretty much at the end of the level, unless you already know they're there, so I didn't find them until late. The real problem is the 4th level with all the Elite Whatstheirname and their freaking +2 arrows.

I think my tank is not very good either - I'm not half as good as people here for ADD 2.0 rules. He was level 6 or 7 Paladin by then, with -3 AC. He took a lot of damage, even with the Protection from Missiles buff so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
-3 is kind of bad at that point in the game but that is probably the games fault instead of yours since the loot is semi randomized. With some lucky drops a shield wielder can be near -10 by that point of the game. But those archers are ace loving shots and will pin cushion someone even at that AC so it doesn't help as much as hard crowd control like web and chromatic orb.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

oswald ownenstein posted:

Alas, one of my buddies tried to play this but got bored in the first dungeon and gave up.

It aged well for a time but it's really difficult for new people to pick up. They missed a great opportunity to do a real remake with better graphics etc
The game holds up in visuals much better than its immediate successors, mainly because of all the hand-drawn elements. It's the gameplay that doesn't hold up, even though it's better than NWN/2's. An old, arcane system built for tabletop and opaque die-based combat. You won't hook a ton of casual interest with that. There's really no justification for a remake when you've got Project Eternity (which is some ways being built on the corpse of BG3) in the pipeline and Dragon Age: Origins for a few years now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's the gameplay that doesn't hold up

You are as entitled to your opinion as much as myself or anyone, but I'd call this complete bollocks. Granted, 2nd edition rules have been a pisser since, well, 2nd edition first came out, but I think that you're in the minority there. I agree fully about the graphics - not trying to have full 3d up the arse in an industry obsessed nowadays with being flashy saves a ton of money and ages spectacularly well. However, this game plays very well. There is tons of diversity in class and tactics as well as a genuine need to have a bit of everything most times, serious tactical elements, and the ability to pause instantly at any time makes the chaos controllable. No game becomes definitive of its genre and is remade and replayed over a decade later unless it is truly sublime.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

JustJeff88 posted:

You are as entitled to your opinion as much as myself or anyone, but I'd call this complete bollocks. Granted, 2nd edition rules have been a pisser since, well, 2nd edition first came out, but I think that you're in the minority there. I agree fully about the graphics - not trying to have full 3d up the arse in an industry obsessed nowadays with being flashy saves a ton of money and ages spectacularly well. However, this game plays very well. There is tons of diversity in class and tactics as well as a genuine need to have a bit of everything most times, serious tactical elements, and the ability to pause instantly at any time makes the chaos controllable. No game becomes definitive of its genre and is remade and replayed over a decade later unless it is truly sublime.

The weird thing about real time with pause games is that there's never been a really good combat system. The Dragon Age games are basically lovely single player MMOs and the Infinity games use an obtuse table top rule set that was never meant for the PC. What makes the combat enjoyable are the encounter designs and options to get through them. That's where the Infinity engine games do an amazing job, Baldur's Gate 2 just dump dozens and dozens of options on the player right from the start and the Icewind Dale games are a master class on combat design. I love the games to death, but there are very real problems with them.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I noticed Aerie seems to be unable to learn level 9 spells, can I fix this with EEKeeper somehow?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TjyvTompa posted:

I noticed Aerie seems to be unable to learn level 9 spells, can I fix this with EEKeeper somehow?

Bump up her Int and Wis. Not that it's really a good idea for balance purposes - Aerie is already a monster and a half.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In EE they implemented 2E rules correctly, so the limit to spell level that a mage can cast is their intelligence minus 9. Bump her int up to 18.

Note that HLAs don't count for this limit so a sub-18 int is fine for pure damage / planetar summoning purposes. Powergamers need time stop, though.

*e and in D&D, there's no such thing as "balance" when you get to the point of casting 9th level spells. Go nuts

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 7, 2013

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

Give her a potion of Genius if you don't want to stat cheat.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
What's the best way to dual a Thief into a Mage? I was gonna do Swashbuckler for the extra proficiencies.

I know a Blade is pretty much a better option all around but I hate not being able to open locks and disarm traps. Can a party get by without a thief?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mahasamatman posted:

I know a Blade is pretty much a better option all around but I hate not being able to open locks and disarm traps. Can a party get by without a thief?

You can, but some traps are pretty nasty and you'll miss out on some loot. However, any of the NPC thieves can do the job - Imoen is all you need, Yoshimo is more than fine until then, Jan can do it perfectly well, and Nalia can do it with the odd potion of master thievery.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mahasamatman posted:

What's the best way to dual a Thief into a Mage? I was gonna do Swashbuckler for the extra proficiencies.

Sort of. Clerics can detect traps, but not disarm them. And some of the traps you get in BG2 are nasty. Given that detect trap is the only thief skill you need people tend to use Imoen or Jan for their trap picking needs. If you are going to dual class bump your detect traps up to 100 before you do.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Mahasamatman posted:

A blade is a much worse wizard than a thief -> mage is. If you're playing BGEE, dual at level 6. In BG2, I'd say level 10 strikes a good balance between having good thieving skills, maximizing kit bonuses and having the required XP totals be reasonably low. There are magic items and potions that boost your thieving skills, so I'd say 80/80 on locks/traps would be decent enough spread, while leaving you with enough points to dabble in other areas (well, traps or detect illusion, though pick pockets has some serious cheese potential early on). If you don't want to bother with micromanaging that stuff just bump them both up to 100 and forget about other skills. Not much point rolling a thief character as your main if all you're using him for is traps and locks, though, unless you really can't stand any of the NPC thieves I suppose.

verybad fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 7, 2013

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The ring of danger sense in BG2 can help dual class thieves with sub-par detect traps skill.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

amanasleep posted:

Give her a potion of Genius if you don't want to stat cheat.

Thanks, I think I have a couple of those since I never use the potions I haul with me through the whole game.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

TjyvTompa posted:

Thanks, I think I have a couple of those since I never use the potions I haul with me through the whole game.

There is basically no other reason to drink a potion of genius other than spell scribing purposes.

Edit: Well Mindflayers I guess.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Dillbag posted:

The ring of danger sense in BG2 can help dual class thieves with sub-par detect traps skill.
I used that on Imoen to bump her detect traps skill. I'd advise against relying on that for a PC though, since you can use that ring slot for much better rings; e.g. Rings of Wizardy, Freedom of Movement, Protection, etc. If making a PC better to raise both Open Lock and Find Traps to 100%. Only a handful of NPCs are worth pickpocketing and using a couple of potions of master thievery beforehand will take care of that so putting points on that is useless. Detect Illusion isn't necessary in the vanilla game since an Inquisitor, Cleric or Mage with True Seeing is more than adequate.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Wingless posted:

You're taking a break from BG by playing IWD2? That seems...like not a break at all.

It's a completely different style of game, just in the same engine.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Factor_VIII posted:

His constitution is great, though his strength (16) and dexterity (12) aren't that great. I guess you could slap the gauntlets of dexterity or strength or the belt of strength from the enhanced edition to turn him into a physical stat juggernaut, though that would deny these items to other characters. He does have the advantage that he can get grandmastery though and he does level faster than rangers, paladins or multiclass PCs so he certainly has advantages.

I though that some of the "wacky" dialog the PC gets in the new content is rather excessive. The original game had the PC use some too, but it was more sporadic and rather more low key.
Yeah it's pretty stupid how so many characters need the gloves of dexterity. Keldorn too in BG2.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Yeah it's pretty stupid how so many characters need the gloves of dexterity. Keldorn too in BG2.

No kidding. Cernd, Keldorn, Korgan, Anomen, and Jaheira could all largely benefit from the Brawling Hands. It makes playing a low DEX PC front-liner (like, say, a Berserker/Druid with a less-than-godly roll) a major headache.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Excelzior posted:

No kidding. Cernd, Keldorn, Korgan, Anomen, and Jaheira could all largely benefit from the Brawling Hands. It makes playing a low DEX PC front-liner (like, say, a Berserker/Druid with a less-than-godly roll) a major headache.

Potions of agility last three hours a pop, I forget about BG1 but in BG2 there are dozens. If you're fighting a non trash mob just chug one. Combine that with a potion of mind focusing and you get 21 dex, that's an extra +1 to ranged weapons and a -1 to armor class.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Need is a strong word. Contrary to the popular belief, you can have a perfectly playable character without maxing out every physical stat.

Actually, I have a few wizard slayer questions for you all:

1. I know the miscast magic effect is only applied to melee weapons, but what about thrown weapons with both melee & range form? What about (unenchanted) throwing daggers?

2. Is Bala's Axe a throwing weapon? Looking at the stats, I always thought it was melee-only, but the icon actually looks like a throwing axe.

3. Any special stat requirements for wizard slayer -> thief dual-class? 13 is probably a very good spot to dual in BG2, since thieves level so fast, I'm thinking.

verybad fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 7, 2013

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I appear to have failed "the truth" part of the four trials and can't progress the quest further. Is there meant to be a way forward for someone who fails the trials, or is this cut off forever now?

Is there a CLUA command I can use to re-take that portion of the tests?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

verybad posted:

1. I know the miscast magic effect is only applied to melee weapons,
Is this another thing they fixed? Because I distinctly remember ranged weapons counting. Otherwise there's no real reason to take the class other than novelty (even then, it's a stretch).

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
WS miscast working on ranged is an "optional but cool" component of the BG2 fixpack. Any word if the EE included those?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

aaaah that must have been it, nvm

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
So, am I correct that for sorcerers there is no main stat and I can just dump everything into dex and con?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Sorcerers still need a minimum of 9 int to be able to cast spells and use wands and scrolls but other than that there is no main stat.

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012
Is there still an ironman thread around btw?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Crip Towe posted:

Is there still an ironman thread around btw?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3589415

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012

I should have looked around more before I asked. Thanks!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Okay, the end of Rasaad's quest made me laugh.

"Ouch, having to kill your brother. I hope I never have to do that."

Also, Imoen's shiny new Belt of the Big Dumb Hill Giant is swank. I don't really need you able to use wands if the tradeoff is backstabbing things into gibs.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Suspicious posted:

Sorcerers still need a minimum of 9 int to be able to cast spells and use wands and scrolls but other than that there is no main stat.

Oh.

Well then. I probably didn't need to put 18 into my guy's charisma then. Which D&D game instituted that? It's definitely a thing somewhere. Was it Neverwinter Nights?

Ninja Edit: Yup, NWN has charisma as the prime stat for sorcerers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wingless posted:

Oh.

Well then. I probably didn't need to put 18 into my guy's charisma then. Which D&D game instituted that? It's definitely a thing somewhere. Was it Neverwinter Nights?

Ninja Edit: Yup, NWN has charisma as the prime stat for sorcerers.

Yeah, I think Sorcerors as a whole started in D&D 3E, as did Monks, and I think class stats ended up being not-that-important for both of them in BG2.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

A Monk might not be that great, but I never get tired of importing a Kenshiro portrait and making dudes explode with punches :allears:

I did see some interesting bracers in the Black Pits module that seem to be new with the EE edition, anyway those show up / can be bought in the regular games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I think Sorcerors as a whole started in D&D 3E, as did Monks, and I think class stats ended up being not-that-important for both of them in BG2.

It's not like INT is terribly important for mages unless you're playing on Core+/No-Reload, either.