Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ducktales Blogger
Nov 2, 2013

by angerbeet
Zoo Za Zoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Manifest posted:

The best part was that she thanked Allison and her second husband AND Scott the Engineer, but not Howard. He wasn't even mentioned.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was a directive from Howard.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Bonzo posted:

So I finished Artie's book. If you read it, you know how close Nick was to him. Now that he was booted and Artie took over the show, how is their relationship?

If you believe Artie, its fine. The standard line they both give is Nick wanted to take it to more of a political show and Artie and DirecTV didnt want that.
I am pretty sure they still tour together and stuff.

If Howard is in NYC and Beth out in the Hamptons all week and they go back and forth, imagine all the poo poo Ronnie The Limo Driver must hear about.
I think of all the staff who could really write an amazing book it would be Ronnie.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Yeah, Ronnie seems like quite a guy. Hell, I'd pay him to meet him. Ya hear me? I'D PAY HIM TO MEET HIM. HE'S A BIG TOUGHGUY, GIMMIE HIS ADDRESS!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It would be the world's first book written in crayola.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

If you believe Artie, its fine. The standard line they both give is Nick wanted to take it to more of a political show and Artie and DirecTV didnt want that.
I am pretty sure they still tour together and stuff.

Before Nick was fired they were both part of the Anti-Social Comedy tour along with Attel and Norton. As soon as Nick was given the boot by Directv they replaced him with Amy Schumer of all people.

The Artie Lange show position is to not even acknowledge the fact that Nick was the co-host at one time. There have been a few times where James, the guy who plays sound clips on the show, has mistakenly played clips/sound drops that have to do with Nick and it is met with awkward silence. You can see on the DTV broadcast Dan the producer glaring at James for making these fatal errors.

I'm sure there's some hard feelings, especially since Nick was the one to recruit Artie. But for what it's worth Nick has talked about Artie multiple times on his podcast without any hints of malice. Artie has barely acknowledged his existence, though probably on orders from DTV.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Still listening through old episodes: when did Artie's "HEY RETAHD!" voice start?

How has nobody Zoo Za Zoo bombed the show yet?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

an adult beverage posted:

Still listening through old episodes: when did Artie's "HEY RETAHD!" voice start?

I want to say it was during a Wendy the Retard phone call. Or maybe that's just when Artie did it the most.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

prefect posted:

Yep, at least one of Howard's daughters (possibly two) does not like Beth.

Yeah, but every do-nothing rich kid in the history of money has always not-liked the new spouse threat to their inheritance so that's hardly a shock or any indictment on Beth.

Plus, Beth is young enough to have a baby and then that's an even smaller cut of the Howard's Death Paycheck that the original kid is entitled to. You can see how that would embitter a person.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Bonzo posted:

So I finished Artie's book. If you read it, you know how close Nick was to him. Now that he was booted and Artie took over the show, how is their relationship?

Is there any good rundown somewhere of what exactly happened there?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Plus, Beth is young enough to have a baby and then that's an even smaller cut of the Howard's Death Paycheck that the original kid is entitled to. You can see how that would embitter a person.

For the first time I'm starting to think that maybe it would be in Howards best interests to knock Beth up, shes turned into a crazy cat lady on steroids (aka Lisa G with money). At this point I think Howard would prefer one kid over hundreds of cats in all of his places (I know i would), I doubt she has many more childbearing years left and when she does she's only going to get worse. Howards gonna end up like the Big game hunter from Jumanji in his massive animal filled Hamptons house.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I think Howard would rather pay somebody to clean the liter box over paying somebody to change a diaper.

Ducktales Blogger
Nov 2, 2013

by angerbeet

Because you haven't heard it happen live and they get edited out of replays, basically.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

DeadBonesBrook posted:

For the first time I'm starting to think that maybe it would be in Howards best interests to knock Beth up, shes turned into a crazy cat lady on steroids (aka Lisa G with money). At this point I think Howard would prefer one kid over hundreds of cats in all of his places (I know i would), I doubt she has many more childbearing years left and when she does she's only going to get worse. Howards gonna end up like the Big game hunter from Jumanji in his massive animal filled Hamptons house.

Beth's over 35, how many extra chromosomes do you want that kid to have?

"It was a disaster"

-Howard Stern

"You're doing the wrong thing"

-Ray "Ray Charles" Stern

"Who is it? .... ughhhhh, alrite"

-Bernard Stern

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

chiz posted:

Beth's over 35, how many extra chromosomes do you want that kid to have?

Even at 41 there's still a 99% chance the kid will be born healthy. The rate increase isn't as dramatic as it seems.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 7, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

That Armon guy on YouTube has like a hundred clips of himself dropping that reference on various shows.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

To expand on the above...

There's a guy who goes by the name ARM who does this on pretty much every H101 show that exists (e.g. Jackie's Joke Hunt, Chuck Zito's View), as well as a number of non-Howard entities like Artie's show and even some TMZ show.

When he gets it out on a H101 show, they dump something crazy like 30 seconds or more. He's done it a few times and it's especially hilarious because the hosts have no idea why the show gets dumped on them and it pretty much serves to calls attention to the paranoia even more.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Sand Monster posted:

There's a guy who goes by the name ARM who does this on pretty much every H101 show that exists (e.g. Jackie's Joke Hunt, Chuck Zito's View), as well as a number of non-Howard entities like Artie's show and even some TMZ show.

When he gets it out on a H101 show, they dump something crazy like 30 seconds or more. He's done it a few times and it's especially hilarious because the hosts have no idea why the show gets dumped on them and it pretty much serves to calls attention to the paranoia even more.
I always figured that anybody attempting this on Howard's show would get dumped/delayed and any trace of it erased from history. Are there any examples on any of the shows where it's gotten through?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I'll have to check out Armon's channel. That's pretty hypocritical of Howard since Imus' daughter used to be fair game for Howard to make fun of Imus.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Yeah... I mean, the core issue I keep coming back to is, Howard built this huge cult empire built on the fundamental rule of being real, of letting it all come out. Everyone else talked bullshit, but Howard told it straight. That was the rhetoric, and it was used to justify all these otherwise indefensible things. So it becomes increasingly uncomfortable to listen as it becomes clear there are more and more subjects and people and topics that are off-limits and as history itself is whitewashed.

The interviews he does are still great, but the good ones are few and far between, and in the meantime the rest of the show just keeps getting less interesting, more repetitive, and ... less real.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sasquatch! posted:

I always figured that anybody attempting this on Howard's show would get dumped/delayed and any trace of it erased from history. Are there any examples on any of the shows where it's gotten through?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0AlQpUjqWI

This is the wrap-up show, but he set it up so Booey and company didn't realize what he was doing. :twisted:

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

I know - it's from SFN - but this cracked me up.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Yeah it's really bizarre how Howard doesn't want people to make fun of his children on his own show/channels. What is wrong with you people? In what way has the show ever been "real" like that? It's his show, he talks about what he wants, and he's always been the first person to admit he's the biggest hypocrite out there.

And it's gross that you're speculating on whether his daughters like Beth based on some half-heard/probably mis-remembered snippet of a radio show from 10 years ago.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Smeep posted:

and he's always been the first person to admit he's the biggest hypocrite out there.

This is not true. For many years, he insisted he was the most open and honest a person could possibly be.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

prefect posted:

This is not true. For many years, he insisted he was the most open and honest a person could possibly be.

I don't know, I guess I've been listening to a different show. Because from what I remember, when people call him on being a hypocrite, he admits it.

edit: which, to be fair, makes him a more open and honest person than most

Smeep fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 7, 2013

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
He has apologized profusely for his actions in the past, his rants on celebrities' children, his wishes of cancer on rivals. He knows he was being immature and childish. So it isn't like he's unaware of it, he just moved on from those kinds of attacks. He has always stated he is the one who pranks, you don't prank him however. It is his show, want he wants goes on. He just doesn't want what most of his fans want now, which is the constant ball busting and personal attacks that make great radio drama.

What is he supposed to do? Let people call in all day and attack his children? Even Kathy Lee wouldn't let people make fun of Cody in front of her. I don't think any parent would. He isn't avoid any realness, he just isn't letting people poo poo all over him for the listeners amusement.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

It's actually healthy, and probably a result of years of therapy and positive life choices (like leaving an unhappy marriage and being with someone he really loves). It just makes the show different now.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
My question would be if he understands he deserves the ire and trolling he currently receives and if he thinks it's fair for what he did in the past. This is simply chickens coming home to roost.

I don't care that he's moved on, it's fine and what a normal person would do, but he's essentially been building up 30 years of bad karma and his family being poo poo on by the fanbase is where it's coming out.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It may be in bad taste or whatever, but I think it's ridiculous to expect Stern fans to not goof on his family life or new blonde trophy wife, when the man poo poo all over everybody and everything for decades. Family was never off-limits at the Stern Show. Remember the relentless making GBS threads on Nancy and her awful bands, or discussing her drunken sex with a black guy on some random person's lawn while Jackie sat there listening? Remember Howard bringing in the dude who was kissing Fred's wife in that lovely play of hers (and making them re-enact this kiss in front of Fred)? Remember Howard hosting a Robin song parody contest after she revealed she was raped by her father? Or the gang mocking Jackie's parents because his dad poo poo in a drawer? Not to mention the sex chat between Howard and his mom, or Howard talking about how big his mom's tits were when he was a kid.

I mean here's a clip of Howard goofing on Gary's unborn baby - using a puppet that looks like a tiny gorilla with huge lips and teeth - while Fred responds with the Gary puppet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyL6pciV2sc&t=5m26s

I don't fault the man for censoring people from mocking his family, nor do I expect someone who's nearly 60 years old with a billion dollars in the bank to be as hungry as someone in their 30s trying to conquer the world, but I also don't fault Stern fans for trying to entertain themselves the way they were taught to by the man they now mock.

Ducktales Blogger
Nov 2, 2013

by angerbeet
What's weird is it seems like Beth has a much better humor about getting her balls busted by Howard's fans than he does.

Ducktales Blogger fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 8, 2013

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Mocking people on the show isn't the same as mocking their kids. Do people really not get that? Goofing on Gary's unborn baby isn't the same as goofing on Gary's kids. It's still really goofing on Gary. And you can be sure if there was some explicit or implicit rule that Howard's kids are off-limits but everyone else's are fair game, we would hear a lot about Gary's kid wanting to be a DJ, for example.

CrazyAss13
Jun 12, 2002
Awesome Dude

Sand Monster posted:

Do you have a link to any of these dumps? I would like to hear them.

Edit: Sorry missed the example linked above.

CrazyAss13 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 8, 2013

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Smeep posted:

Mocking people on the show isn't the same as mocking their kids. Do people really not get that? Goofing on Gary's unborn baby isn't the same as goofing on Gary's kids. It's still really goofing on Gary. And you can be sure if there was some explicit or implicit rule that Howard's kids are off-limits but everyone else's are fair game, we would hear a lot about Gary's kid wanting to be a DJ, for example.

Gary's kids aren't goofed on because Gary as a man wouldn't put up with that poo poo. Fred's girl isn't goofed on because Fred as a man wouldn't put up with that poo poo. I guarantee you if Howard really started in on either of their kids both(Fred especially) would do nothing short of telling Howard to go gently caress himself.

I've only ever seen the fanbase goof on one of Howard's daughters and that's because stuff got posted because she is Howard's daughter and if she was any other celeb's daughter with that Zoo Za Zoo crap Howard would have annihilated them(lest we forget Tom Hank's son the rapper). It's not as though they're digging through social media to mock one of the girls for having a dumb haircut or something.

Like I said, this is chickens coming home to roost. He created a fanbase in his image and since the fans can't retire to the Hamptons on the weekend they're still stuck in the same phase, which is the destructive, venom spewing phase and their leader has abandoned them and is now ripe for spite and petty revenge.

That's all irrespective of being right or wrong, too. Emily's a little out there but she doesn't deserve to be mocked for it, it's her life. However, Howard created a monster and those around him will suffer the fallout from it.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Anyone hear Gary vs Benjy on Friday's WUS? Gary came across as a thin skinned piece of poo poo to me. Benjy can grate on me at times but I agreed with most everything be said, especially the "oh so it's interrupting when I do it but explaining when you do it" stuff. My favorite part was when Benjy poked fun at Gary falling asleep and Gary proceeded to be insanely defensive and bent out of shape for the rest of the show.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Smeep posted:

Youtube doesn't have audio of this, but Howard has goofed on other people's kids for extended periods. You can't tell me this is goofing on Spielberg and not his actual kids.

This Means War! 5/2/00. 6:30am
Howard is ready to battle Steven Spielberg. A couple of listeners called in this morning and said that Spielberg was on some show last night bad mouthing Howard. Howard doesn't have tape of this bad mouthing yet but after hearing about some of the things he allegedly said, Howard was ready for battle. He thinks that Spielberg is probably mad about the way Howard goofs on how he adopted a black child. That led to Howard doing his father/son impression of Steven and his kid for about 15 minutes. The more Howard thought about all of this the more he got pissed off. He put out an offer to Spielberg to call in within 24 hours and apologize to his audience or he'd get the tape of the bad mouthing and eventually sick his fans on him... verbally of course. He pointed out that most celebrities will eventually cave in and call the show to apologize. Chevy Chase was the best example. Stern fans hounded him so bad that he eventually called in and begged for mercy. Jon Bon Jovi was another one. He also had to apologize eventually to get the fans off his back after he dissed Howard. UPDATE: Late in the show Howard found out that Steven Spielberg was never on the show that the callers claimed he was on. They were scammed. Howard said he was going to wait until he got tape of the badmouthing so now it's all been called off. He apologized to Mr. Spielberg for going off on him earlier in the show.

Ducktales Blogger
Nov 2, 2013

by angerbeet
The difference between Fred and Gary's kids and Emily Stern or Tom Hanks' rapping kid is that the latter two were or are attempting to be in the public eye and were willing to subject themselves to all of the scrutiny that comes with it.

I don't recall anybody calling the show to needle Howard about his daughters whose names I can't recall (because they don't have a dumb bad album recorded by Scott the Engineer available to buy on Amazon)

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Goofing on Howard's kids is the extreme edge of the "let's be real" spectrum. Sure, we can excuse him for not putting up with that poo poo, even though his daughter is an adult and Zoo Za Zoo is her own doing, while he used to pick on very small children for basically far less.

But how about not talking about Cabbie, RevBobLevy, Dominic Barbara? How about not letting Artie come back to plug his book? The shutdown of HowardTV and layoff of Scott DePace who was routinely in the studio and well known to his audience? Sure some of these interviews and discussions would be uncomfortable but that was what was so great about similar stuff in the past, like the whole history of Pat Cooper on the show.

I realize my own impressions are now tainted by the hate-listeners here and that I'm projecting, but it does seem to me like so much is now off-limits that the show is uncomfortable to listen to when they get raised and everyone quickly rushes past them.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

And don't forget that Howard is the guy who turned his first wife's miscarriage into a comedy bit. There was literally nothing off limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Howard is like any long time act or band. They start out doing insane stuff, working every night, doing shows, bending over backwards to make it. Then when they do, when they get all the money or success they need they put out a passion project here or there that the fans hate and they scream at them all to not make them do the thing that made them famous.