Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

My opinion has never turned around faster. If that is seriously anything close to what the belt says, I am sold day one.

I'm looking forward to the second coming of Carranger, which is like one of the most outright enjoyable Sentai experiences you can have.

Also it's a Wrist Morpher, objectively the best kind of morpher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm sorry, cell phone morphers are actually the best.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rei_ posted:

I'm looking forward to the second coming of Carranger, which is like one of the most outright enjoyable Sentai experiences you can have.

Also it's a Wrist Morpher, objectively the best kind of morpher.
Oh, the train on the wrist is the morpher? I've been focusing on the TokkyuuBuckle, since rumors said something about train ticket henshin devices before. Still totally on board. All aboard, one might say.

I like all morphers, but my fondness for Gobusters has me firmly in the Wristmorpher camp at the moment.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Wristmorphers 4 Lyfe

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

jivjov posted:

The show doesn't even premier for weeks....does it need "salvaging" at this point?

They will if it has any chance of having a successful Power Rangers adaptation when Saban gets to it in 3-6 years(god nickelodeon is really starting to screw Saban over with their scheduling crap) which is a significant portion of the Sentai franchise's profitability

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

jivjov posted:

We've been looking at toy ads. The mech will most assuredly look better in the show, and if you're seriously trying to argue that the suits are 100% objectively ugly, then there's no way we're going to have a decent conversation about them.

The suits are totally uninspired and pretty ugly aside from the helmets, which look fine. The rest is just a solid block of colour with an outrageously lovely graphic pasted only on the front of the outfit in a really obvious way. They look unfinished.

The mech looks awful but it could work a lot better in the show and frankly I barely give a gently caress about the mechs outside of their cg finishers unlike a lot of other fans apparently so I'm not gonna start whining about that.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Burkion posted:

Carranger had suits that didn't look like dime store knockoffs!

Wait I'm confused.

Why does the Green Ranger have Number 1 on his suit when the Red Ranger has Number 1?

They change.

Potsticker posted:

I'm sorry, cell phone morphers are actually the best.

Gross.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rei_ posted:

The henshin devices are apparently a really calm announcer, in complete contrast to kyoryuger Like "BING BONG... Please step away from the transforming hero. Thank you."

So it's going to be like that one episode of Gobusters that had the stupidly polite train monster? Awesome.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I'm wondering about, will the change be like "Red Ranger becomes Green Ranger with his number" or just "Green Ranger takes up the sword of the Red Ranger, gets his number".

Because this could be an interesting chance to have a lot more female green/red time than Gokaiger gave us.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Raizor posted:

The suits are totally uninspired and pretty ugly aside from the helmets, which look fine. The rest is just a solid block of colour with an outrageously lovely graphic pasted only on the front of the outfit in a really obvious way. They look unfinished.

The mech looks awful but it could work a lot better in the show and frankly I barely give a gently caress about the mechs outside of their cg finishers unlike a lot of other fans apparently so I'm not gonna start whining about that.

I think the biggest problem is that the suits just don't look heroic. They're just flat and boring. I seriously wonder how theyre gonna sell this concept to American kids who dont care about trains not named Thomas.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I can see what they might have been getting at with the suit designs - if the Tokkyugers are going to be swapping colours all the time, you don't want the audience linking each suit too closely to a particular character. By making them simple, they stand out less and thus become more easily interchangeable in the viewer's mind. Not that this makes them good designs, but there could be a method to the madness and if the show's decent then I'm sure they'll grow on me.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Even rarer than girls in red-- guys in pink!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Also like, and I can't believe I've been saying this yearly for six years now:

We haven't seen the suits in motion and the everyone always gets really loving mad at the initial pictures of poo poo

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

Also like, and I can't believe I've been saying this yearly for six years now:

We haven't seen the suits in motion and the everyone always gets really loving mad at the initial pictures of poo poo
Who didn't fall in love with the Gokaiger costumes at first sight?!

Who?

Also yeah, the more I think about this, the more I'm thinking we're getting CAAAARRRANGER 2.0

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 7, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Who didn't fall in love with the Gokaiger costumes at first sight?!

Who?

GoBusters suits too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yup, those two were winners from day one.

I understand what Rei is saying with regards to Kyoryuger though. Like I said before, I was unimpressed and iffy at first but now I love the hell out of them, and if Tokkyuuger turns into Carranger 2.0 or does it's own amazing train poo poo, then I have no doubt I'll love them too. Especially if they're changing colors like changing tracks and that somehow becomes awesome in the show proper.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The suits are already starting to grow on me. They look better when you see the full body in those little pictures of the action figures.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If I recall correctly, there was some trepidation over the Gobusters suits because they were moving away from spandex. Kyoryuger did have some naysayers at the beginning too, the lattice on the arms and the sash/shoulder pad looking weird to some people.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

One thing is true - Toei is trolling Saban.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

RBX posted:

One thing is true - Toei is trolling Saban.

Kyoryuger gets made right after Power Rangers big anniversary and then it's followed up by something that will probably do as well as Turbo did in america? Yeah, this is an expert case in corporate trolling.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Are the changing numbers supposed to represent train lines? Like, TokkyuRed switches from the 1 line to the 5 line to get access to Tokkyu(color)'s weapon and abilities? That's the only thing that makes thematic sense to me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

toomanyninjas posted:

Are the changing numbers supposed to represent train lines? Like, TokkyuRed switches from the 1 line to the 5 line to get access to Tokkyu(color)'s weapon and abilities? That's the only thing that makes thematic sense to me.

Actually, the notation of Rangers is different this time around. TokkyuRed is Tokkyu #1.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, it seems that the gimmick is that the colours aren't 'set' as such. You'll know who is who at any one time by the number designation rather than the colour of the suit.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Tokkyu 6 had better be caboose themed.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It seems weird that the helmet styles will swap with the colors, if that's true.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Knowing well how that colour and/or number changing gimmick works is literally the only thing I care about in this Sentai. The suits have basically made me stop caring entirely, plus I'm enjoying Kyoryuger too much to want it to end.

However, I also thought Kyoryuger would be awful at first, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it, so I'll give it a chance. I mean, I also thought Goseiger would be good, see how that went!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It needs something to overcome the sheer ugliness of everything designed for it, yes.

Jesus those suits.

Looking at it more and more I actually really like the body part of the suits and am hoping that the track-visors grow on me. I love the fact that their belts cleanly divide the shirts and pants and that there isn't a lot of tacky fake gold or silver cluttering them up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

toomanyninjas posted:

Tokkyu 6 had better be caboose themed.

Japanese trains don't really have cabooses though. Being Black and Steam engine themed however would be amusing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tokkyu 6 is going to be bullet-train themed.

Ore....SANJOU!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Xelkelvos posted:

Japanese trains don't really have cabooses though. Being Black and Steam engine themed however would be amusing.

I have a sudden mental image of the late Michael Clarke Duncan playing a power ranger.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Zangetsu is finally in some Japanese youtubers hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pP38GTEZFQ

Odd amount of similarities between him and Gaim.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Oh, the train on the wrist is the morpher? I've been focusing on the TokkyuuBuckle, since rumors said something about train ticket henshin devices before. Still totally on board. All aboard, one might say.

I like all morphers, but my fondness for Gobusters has me firmly in the Wristmorpher camp at the moment.

Oh god, I really hope the wrist device prints out a ticket, which then has to be scanned or punched by the device on the belt.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Waffleman_ posted:

Tokkyu 6 is going to be bullet-train themed.

Ore....SANJOU!

Shinkansentai.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Potsticker posted:

If I recall correctly, there was some trepidation over the Gobusters suits because they were moving away from spandex. Kyoryuger did have some naysayers at the beginning too, the lattice on the arms and the sash/shoulder pad looking weird to some people.

I can't see how anyone would dislike the faux-leather suits for Go-Busters. Those were probably one of the better suit designed, between them and Gokai. I was a little worried about the cheststripe on everyone's favorite dinosambas, but that worked out well enough in motion.

I'd be much happier with the suits if the design on the chest was either black or white, and not alternating between them, that's really what makes it look like rear end to me, from a knee-jerk perspective. The rail visors are kind of cool, and at the least are sorta passable as a functioning helmet design.

The mech toy looks like cheap plastic and rear end, and I have basically 2 hopes for it:

1) The non-symmetrical all-vertical style to it means the trains combine on the tracks instead of in the air or something.
2) The mech fight choreography is far and away better than we've seen from Sentai recently.

Also wrist morphers are way cooler than cellphone morphers.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Monathin posted:

1) The non-symmetrical all-vertical style to it means the trains combine on the tracks instead of in the air or something.

Judging from the picture I would bet anything that this is going to be the case, which is kind of cool.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I can see what they might have been getting at with the suit designs - if the Tokkyugers are going to be swapping colours all the time, you don't want the audience linking each suit too closely to a particular character. By making them simple, they stand out less and thus become more easily interchangeable in the viewer's mind. Not that this makes them good designs, but there could be a method to the madness and if the show's decent then I'm sure they'll grow on me.

You can do uniform design without making them loving massive overly simplified blocks of color. Hell, for an example of this look at Gokaiger.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Belt changers are best changers.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cell phones that slot into belts!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Light Gun Man posted:

Belt changers are best changers.

Lemme tell about a fun show called Kamen Rider.... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Lemme tell about a fun show called Kamen Rider.... :v:

Yeah, that's another reason Riders are cool.

Actually can i be a real jackass and say JAKQ has the best transformation device? :v:

• Locked thread