Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Overall sounds much much better. Too often combat is either a curbstomp for you or to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

In addition to rolling species' stats randomly, some monsters should have Diablo-like "elite" modifiers that modify stats or grant them insane buffs and have a visual indicator of some sort.

Thats in the game. They will always drop a legendary weapon a few penetration levels above the current planet threat level. They are twice the size of normal monsters and have some blood red sprites floating around them.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I must be an idiot and can not figure out how to place a door. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Brackhar posted:

I must be an idiot and can not figure out how to place a door. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

You need blocks both above and below the space for the door, with that space being 5 blocks tall.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Brackhar posted:

You need to have the space for it all ready, so that when you place the door it's already touching the dirt/rock/wood above it. You can't just put a door down anywhere without something to support it from above.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
On one hand I'm sad that I have to say goodbye to Jazzy Allied Mastercomputer the robot space pirate, but on the other hand, I get to properly try a new race, and hopefully not have to deal with horribly unfair difficulty anymore.

Hopefully ranged enemies are more manageable, too. I swear to god they are the biggest pain in the rear end right now.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

nerdz posted:

I'll have to see how they plan on doing this rebalancing, by removing levels and such. I'm all for more dynamic health values and also absolute dps, but I'm afraid taking the granularity we have today would end up making the game and tiers way too uniform with only three levels of monsters per tier, instead of 13 as we have now. Also I still want to be one shot if I'm trying to take on ridiculous stuff way out of my league, like how I just ventured a max threat beta sector planet, dying several times to find a weapon that would carry my over the entire tier.

I don't really see how it'll change much. There's very little worthwhile variation between monsters other than how they look.

Sir_tank
Jul 16, 2010
"Added a dumb, quick way to advance through some of the tier 4-10 content (armors, weapons), just for fun."

How do I go about using this quick way?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Finally settled down and built a house on top of a picturesque hill on the starting planet.

I'll miss you, quaint house.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Colonel posted:

On one hand I'm sad that I have to say goodbye to Jazzy Allied Mastercomputer the robot space pirate, but on the other hand, I get to properly try a new race, and hopefully not have to deal with horribly unfair difficulty anymore.

I don't know, being one-shot should only happen if you're somehow out of your tier, imo (which is only possible in MP). Or if you're fighting a hard elite monster or something with poo poo gear. With the worst gear of a tier, the toughest monsters should two or three shot you, just because instantly dying is a real big bummer. Even when you're out of your league, it should be possible to be able to fall back and readjust after taking a hit.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
So hey, uh, I posted a few minutes ago that I thought I'd give the boss a shot atop a pirate ship.

I uh, think we've been doing it wrong until now, guys. :stare:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

OrangeSoda posted:

Today me and a bunch of friends played multiplayer and explored a desert planet with large bone-filled pits, which oddly this time had big nautilus shells in them. There was also a human bunker that was full of nice furniture and goodies we stole, but had a dimly room with big, red letters reading GET OUT in either blood or paint. The consoles there, when I examined them, mentioned a plan to drain the planet's oceans and that it was "thankfully vetoed". I have a feeling that didn't stop them :smith:
i scanned that GET OUT in the 3D printer so I could graffiti other players ships

The Shortest Path posted:

The planet I started on with a new character doing co-op with a buddy... it has a core made purely of meat and bone blocks. The planet is literally living.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Meldonox posted:

So hey, uh, I posted a few minutes ago that I thought I'd give the boss a shot atop a pirate ship.

I uh, think we've been doing it wrong until now, guys. :stare:

Yeah, that's how I've dealt with all of them so far. The dragon was especially great, and died in about fifteen seconds.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I really liked the armor pen system, the formula was just too dramatic, where a few points here or there made too much of a difference. If things scaled on an exponential curve, so you could be a couple of points off and not see much difference, but once you got out past 5-10 things would quickly snowball into unmanageable, things would be fine. It doesn't render a few problems with things like consumable items, but that's fine. If someone buys 10K bombs at tier 1 and finds them completely useless at T2, they can still use them to mine.

Otherwise, I just liked the way that damage numbers simply became % damage sustained/delivered. It meant there was no confusion how harmful something was to you. If something hurt you for 47 damage, it meant you can only sustain three hits, barely, but there was no loving around with oddball health/damage totals, like 338756 damage out of 188764773 health. The gently caress does that mean? I already have a difficult enough time trying to keep track of my health because the meter is a tiny little spec of the UI in the top right, and there isn't too much feedback on when you are hurt. Trying to run the math in my head is only going to result in more deaths because I am an ignoramus.

Anyway, it just seems silly to rework almost everything in the entire game when they could simply play with the damage formula a bit, give it a bit of an exponential curve to pen vs armor disparity to smooth out the progression, and then call it a day. gently caress, change armor penetration to weapon level, and ideally that should at least remove some confusion. Using a level 23 weapon against a level 23 monster makes sense. "Armor pen, what's that", "It's the loving weapon's level".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

-I'd like a way to use items in the inventory screen as opposed to putting them in my hand slots first.

Other than clicking on the item in your inventory and then clicking on yourself, you mean?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

Other than clicking on the item in your inventory and then clicking on yourself, you mean?
Yeah. That's something pretty unintuitive and very poorly telegraphed to the player. I'd like using something like E / middlemouse to instantly use the item.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah. That's something pretty unintuitive and very poorly telegraphed to the player. I'd like using something like E / middlemouse to instantly use the item.

I tried it instinctively because that's an easy way to use items from your inventory in Terraria, but yeah, E/MB3 when hovering over an item in the inventory to use/equip it would be nice.

bwatts
May 28, 2013

I made a robot because they have the best random generation names but already just minutes into the game, Gold Hands has been forced into regicide. It is a dark time in Gold Hands' life.

Edit: Gold Hands now has two shields equipped and is the de facto owner of this castle.

Edit 2: Now Gold Hands is a wizard.

bwatts fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 7, 2013

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
I've never played Terraria but this looks fun and I would definitely be willing to give it a go with some buddiesof mine. Can someone clarify something for me since I don't see anything in the OP about the actual workings of multiplayer:

-People keep mentioning multiplayer servers - do you have to host this to play with friends or does the native game also support multiplayer?
-Can I play with friends immediately or do we have to escape our starting worlds before we meet up with each other?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TheresNoThyme posted:

I've never played Terraria but this looks fun and I would definitely be willing to give it a go with some buddiesof mine. Can someone clarify something for me since I don't see anything in the OP about the actual workings of multiplayer:

-People keep mentioning multiplayer servers - do you have to host this to play with friends or does the native game also support multiplayer?
-Can I play with friends immediately or do we have to escape our starting worlds before we meet up with each other?

Basically, someone has to host a server and then you both connect to it. You can add other players to your party and warp direct to their ship by clicking their character in the party list, so you can both work together immediately.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm hoping they add custom signs or the ability to have NPCs/objects display custom text down the road.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The Deadly Hume posted:

I think world bookmarks would be nice, even if it's just to designate one to build a giant gently caress-off base to return all your loot to.

Those Set Home and Go Home buttons on your navigation screen? That does exactly what you want here. I definitely would like to see more, maybe a system that allows you to add a note to planets, and then highlights any stars/planets in the system map that you've noted.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I dont know why but i really prefer the thought of the system in place with a hundred levels of monsters instead of easy/medium/hard and massive health numbers

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 7, 2013

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Brand new character? No chance to steal fancy decorations yet? Not a problem! Just take your pickaxe or multitool and gouge out giant ugly holes to expose the machinery in the back wall. Patch them up here and there with randomly slapped on pieces of a contrasting metal and ta-da! 40% more authentic 'desperate space refuge' flavor.

Also I hope they eventually add a way to remove the windows and reposition the storage locker and 3D printer and stuff.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verviticus posted:

I dont know why but i really prefer the thought of the system in place with a hundred levels of monsters instead of easy/medium/hard and massive health numbers

If you'd played it you'd understand why simpler is better.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Verviticus posted:

In theory it sounds cool but in practice the way it works right now is kind of bad

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Shima Honnou posted:

Same. I know people say it's not optimized, but should it seriously be sitting in the 1 to 5 FPS range? I can't even try to explore underground because it lags out too badly to even really move all that well.

Yep - same here, seems to be just lucky system configurations that get the game at a good FPS. Mine is pretty unplayable. Might shelve this for a couple weeks until the optimization updates start coming in.

So far I've tried:

1.) Disabling Steam Overlay
2.) Launching Steam as Administrator
3.) Launching Starbound as Administrator
4.) Launching the Starbound Open GL exe as Administrator
5.) Playing at a lower resolution
6.) playing in windowed mode with a shrunk window
7.) Trying this random thing: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/gaming/39417-fix-steam-thinks-its-running-compatibility-mode.html

Nothing's worked :(

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
If there was an RPG-like stats system rather than just attack vs defense, 100 levels of enemy would be easier to implement. I haven't gotten past iron armour yet, but it seems like any enemy that's 5 levels higher than you might as well be level 100 as it will 1-hit kill you, and vice versa.
Hopefully the new system works out better! I'm looking forward to getting wiped, I'd found a little cool stuff but I'm only just getting into the habit of exploring multiple planets rather than just tunneling to the core of one. This time I'm going to try and stick to one character and find a 'home' planet to settle on while I explore the galaxy to find the gaudiest poo poo in the universe to fill my house with.

unemployedartist
Mar 31, 2011
Bird tomb/dungeon @ X 31413 Y 21710

alpha rastaban 33II1 b.

Go left a while. tl = 5

ar 331 IIa has pulse jump tech in a chest. go right . tl =8

unemployedartist fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 7, 2013

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

The current system is very flawed and wouldn't work for later levels. I've got full Impervium armor and enemies a level above my armor do ridiculous damage. The way the current system works is "Hey, now instead of being one-shotted by enemies, you're two-shotted." Their new system sounds a lot better and I can't wait for it because right now you're either one-shotting everything or being one-shotted by everything so there's no real difficulty.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah at the very least the new system should introduce actual combat into the game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Section Z posted:

It's a very good thing Wheat and Feathercrowns can grow on your ship. Several in game days have passed on my starter world and Wheat, Feathercrowns, nor the Pepper looking plants I first found ON that planet have grown at all.

The plants are in tilled soil in direct sunlight, and it's not like it's a BAD planet weather wise either. What little cold that happens in the night is very slow, and never quite reached the point of freezing to death before the sun came up.
I've noticed that sometimes it seems like if you leave a planet with partially grown crops, they'll be fresh ungrown plantings when you return. I need to test this more thoroughly.

OwlFancier posted:

It just occurred to me that I will no longer have access to my keytar when the saves reset...

I am filled with sorrow.

Also, I need to have the tabs for this song...
Get tabs for While My Guitar Gently Weeps, play on ketar, done?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I dunno, none of that sounded like it was impossible to balance with number changes. I do get that it had to be fixed somehow because it sounded pretty awful as it is.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So can someone answer how adjusting the platinum spawns works for a multiplayer server? Will all users need to adjust it? Or will only the server admin?

Same thing with adding songs that can be played with instruments. Will everyone need the file(just to listen to the song being played by the person), or will just the person playing the music need it?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Verviticus posted:

In the current system if your gear is a little too low or high someone is just oneshotting someone else. Due to the hodgepodge mix of gear a typical player is running around with at any given time this seems to end up being you always oneshot monsters while monsters always oneshot you too. Which is kind of stupid.

Trying to balance that is really complicated due to all the different numbers involved. They basically looked at the system and saw how they wanted it to work (each sector has easy/medium/hard enemies) and are just going straight to that system instead of this middleman of armor pen and armor values competing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zotix posted:

So can someone answer how adjusting the platinum spawns works for a multiplayer server? Will all users need to adjust it? Or will only the server admin?

Same thing with adding songs that can be played with instruments. Will everyone need the file(just to listen to the song being played by the person), or will just the person playing the music need it?

Don't know about the first but only the person playing needs to have the music file.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Zotix posted:

If you both have the music file you can hear it immediately. If only one person has it the others can hear it eventually. It's kind of a mystery how it works.

And it often doesn't.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Everything getting one shot is stupid but everything being able to at least do high amounts of damage to each other keeps combat tense. I hope in the new system neither the players or the monsters can become boring bullet sponges.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

If someone says they can't hear your music you might have to change your band name even if you're playing solo. A few friends and I found out last night that every now and then bands would just end up mute no matter how many times they restarted their songs until they changed/joined a band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Why can't I find an .abc file for Green Onions? This is important.

• Locked thread